Dropping python for C/anything else

I'm learning python but will I ever be able to do anything with it? Should I drop it and start learning C?

Attached: opengraph-icon-200x200.png (200x200, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
i.4cdn.org/g/1525130892042.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

enjoy NEETdom

Python is the hottest language right now. With widespread python3 adoption picking up and the addition of type hinting, it's not going to slow down for a few years at least. Eventually a modern compiled language will replace it. Its big limitations are speed and type safety. CPython is *very slow*. But it will remain popular for many years.

C is never coming back to the mainstream. It will slowly be replaced by rust and go like languages.

Since both are crap you will be forced to learn both in the end, anyway.
Might as well start learning C ADDITIONALLY.

What about C++?

Already am

>Write code
>It crashes because of some bullshit ''.join([str,str,int]) bullshit

Python is a good language but we need better tools to write the fucking thing.

don't drop it au contraire there is a shitton of python jobs nowadays since it's basically a "glue" language for everything

Have you run into performance issues with python?

whats stopping you from learning both?

Attached: Haskell.png (2000x1412, 36K)

yeah

good thing in 3.6 you can declare types now:
some_str : str = some_function()

type checkers in ides like pycharm will also show you missmatches

Learn C# (ASP.NET), Java (EE), SQL, HTML/CSS/JS + some SPA Framework

Enjoy your employment

I was going to post my thread exactly on this.
Now currently exactly same as you.
But I have already made up my mind: dropping Python and Ruby to start C programming.

C used as base coding language in all of University of California system, has shown biggest spike in resurgence in popularity, only Java is as popular. opened my eyes and saw the truth.

Only question now is should I consider C# since so close to Java? or C++ since it encompasses more (?).
For now, it's C, got all my classes and materials set.

Time

Me: See, this is the meme I fell for. It's bullshit and misleading.
Here:
tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
This is truth.
The universities requiring C are truth.
The absolute widespread use of apps in C are truth.

I'm a fully grown man.

Attached: programming-language-use-TIOBE.jpg (1409x693, 180K)

Python is horrible. I hate it.

Why do you?

Same thing as C, but even more long term. It's wayyyy beyond fixing.
>"Tiobe is truth" and other dubious claims

None at all

so far at least

well that depends on what you want to work on, that's quite an open ended question you asked
i wonder if you're not just b8ing

I see a lot of jobs out there wanting potential employees to have experience with python. In that aspect, it would be good to learn.. but you shouldn't keep all your attention on one language anyway. You should try and get 3 to 5 languages under your belt.

Just learn it and have fun. Dismiss any Jow Forums advice about C

I love python, and use it whenever I can. Even if I am told to write in something gay like PHP, I will just write it in Python instead :^)

If that’s the case I’ll most likely do Python/C/C++ or Python/C#/C++. I would consider Java too but it seems like everyone hates it (but not sure if that’s just a meme though)

Cython is incredibly fast idiot

Cython is not CPython.

CPython is an interpreter/runtime.

Cython is a programming language. A superset of Python allowing for lower level code.

Java is the most employable language to learn
[spoiler]3 billion devices run Java[/spoiler]

idc, i still hate this shit.

two words
whitespace syntax

fuck python

i've done tours of so many languages, and in the end, realized Java is the best chocie 99% of the time. just fucking learn Java and stop using all these other languages that just ripped off Java or tried to "improve" it.

Haskell or Elixir are also worth checking out but not until you're decent with Java.

also everyone should be at least competent at JavaScript

Nah. java was genuinely too hard for me. had to learn haskell instead. even now I just cant learn java. its not a "wow java sucks lol" its a "java is genuinely too hard for me"

CPython is the default implementation of python idiot.

Java is great for large scale projects, but I hate the JVM. New generation compiled languages like go are going to mop the floor with java in the coming years.

OP please do yourself a favor and ignore Jow Forums retards like this

Python is *the* language of 2018. If your goal is money, it's the perfect language to start with. You should eventually learn other languages, but master this one first. C# is also a very good choice. Java is good if you want to be a soulless corporate coder that works 9-5 (nothing wrong with that). C++ you will be underpaid and overworked and it's an arcane, broken language that you will hate, but you'll pretend to like it because it took you a decade to learn and you don't want that to be a waste. C is still a good systems language, but it is dying slowly in favor of rust and go and other new languages.

are you refering to asp.net core right?
not asp.net framework?

>New generation compiled languages like go are going to mop the floor with java in the coming years.
pls elaborate

>dying slowly in favor of rust and go and other new languages
>*dying slowly*
yeah, right...
i.4cdn.org/g/1525130892042.jpg

OP here, basically what I took from this was just do Python for money (which is one reason I’m doing programming in the first place) and start C#. (While money is nice, I wanna make cool shit as well and was unsure if Python could do anything similar to something like C, C#, or Java. So I’ll most likely end up learning C#, thanks)

If you get a chance, I'd also recommend learning some javascript. Once you learn Python and C#, it'll be a lot easier to pick up. It's been gaining a lot of momentum recently, and it's super easy to just make something with, but a lot of people like to shit on it because of the community and the fact that the language is quirky.

Which cool new high profile projects were written in C in the last few years? Definitely not docker or k8s or any part of that ecosystem that is taking enterprise applications by storm.

The trend for the last 50 years has been toward higher and higher level languages. Suddenly we have languages that look like high level languages but compile to native bytecode. And they're gaining momentum fast. It doesn't take rocket surgery to see where the trend is headed.

lazy .. hasn't engaged with python- looking for a way out.

If you just throw a web frame work in front of it you can build sites. simple.

ok
i only had 1 introductory class to python
>for while if elif functions lists
simple stuff like that
but i dont rly know what to do know? do you guys have any exercises book that you recommend? rly need some kind of objective oriented thing to be able to follow otherwise i lose interest.

Learn Python.

A majority of jobs are going to expect you to know Python. Unless you want to maintain legacy software / embedded (bad idea), nothing is using C anymore. C++, yes, C, no.

Python is too slow? You can write and run C code from python anyways; this'll be fast. NumPy is used in scientific computer, a field where literally the only thing that matters is how fast it goes.

Not OP, but i decided to continue with python after reading this thread. Did some basic shit with it on college and want to continue on my own. What should i use to write my code?

Python is budding (starting, beginning, growing tendrils) into three main areas:
Robotics
AI
Data Analysis
It may be stronger in those areas given time, but it can be set aside and learned when needed. Verse yourself in C, Java, or C#.
Drop the time/energy drains.

I don't like Python, but fuck if it isn't what everyone including me turns to when we need to get down and dirty quickly. It's fantastic for scripts and one offs.

Django / flask are good too, at least compared to the alternatives.

Learn it

>tfw you shorted C

Attached: tfw.png (1166x1216, 658K)

I actually had a course in it too. I'm not just talking out my butt. I did like Python, I think it's clean and organized. But I'm just into priorities and getting down to hardcore business.

If you want to keep your Python skills good and employable, get into data-mining/analysis. Cities and counties have these huge databases they compile, they are open to programmers. Learn to tap into those, graph stuff, find trends in regions of cities. All this is in demand btw, it's good stuff.

>posting a link to an image
>on an imageboard

I like VS Code. PyCharm is probably the best for big projects.

Amazon is in the process of replacing on Java backend with Go for performance reasons

for which service?

>It will slowly be replaced by rust and go like languages.
t. brainlet

Thank for the suggestion, but i don't really want to make a career out of it, just some part time work on the side while i work on my degree.

>Which cool new high profile projects were written in C
who cares about your hipster shit
The robot roaming on Mars is mostly written in C. The code inside jet fighters, stock exchanges, nuclear power plants. This is mostly C.
The "high profile" stuff you're thinking about is the community of basedboys piling shit on top of other shit in the Linux/startup/lalaland ecosystem.

Source on that?
Java is more performant than Go, by far. Their JIT compiler, profile-guided optimization (hotspot), concurrent GC are all miles ahead of Go by many years.

Any not try ipython?

>C is never coming back to the mainstream. It will slowly be replaced by rust and go like languages.
>rust
HAHAHAHA

It's amazing to me that anyone expected the flavor of the month noise to last longer than it did.

I'm a professional software engineer and the trend I'm seeing today is more and more engineers who were cramped in Python switching over to C++ ever since the C++17 standard came out. Many regret all the time they wasted on shit languages.

>C++ you will be underpaid and overworked and it's an arcane, broken language that you will hate
I make 6 digits, writing primarily in C++. You're so full of shit Pythonfaggot.

Attached: 1516705475083.png (866x900, 94K)

>For now, it's C, got all my classes and materials set.

Fuck all these pajeet responses. Start with why? Why are you learning C and what do you wish to do with it? What are you learning to do, what is it that you want to make. Then work backwards.

There's a million things you can do with Python - Web frameworks, scripting, data science, AI, etc

If you want to build Web Apps - learn Ruby, Java and JS.

If you want to to learn game development in Unreal Engine, learn C++, if you want to learn Unity learn C#.

If you want to make desktop apps learn C# and .NET Frameworks.

What's your purpose user. Don't say it's to be a L33T haxxorz or to join the coding bandwagon.

Image for once is related: Karlie Kloss changes directory 10x and says shes a coder.

Attached: karliekloss-we-coding-now.png (960x906, 1.11M)

Underrated.

Also, even COBOL jobs are coming back, especially with bank systems needing maintenance.

Attached: 1491661613079.png (702x702, 561K)

>The code inside jet fighters, stock exchanges, nuclear power plants. This is mostly C.

Wrong. Jet fighters and nuclear power plants use spook shit like Ada. Stock exchanges are still guzzling Cobol or even more outdated shit.

redis

>Java is good if you want to be a soulless corporate coder that works 9-5 (nothing wrong with that).
What the fuck are you talking about?

Yo, what do you guys think of Flutter for mobile? Just asking

bump

Attached: 1523869016545.jpg (125x125, 3K)

Yeah. This guy is a real software developer.

Use the appropriate language for the job.

Go will replace it in the distant future, right now though, stick to python since its very much in demand and you can do tons of things with it!

nah ada is losing favor in automotive and some parts of aerospace, see F-35.

you'll see C++/Java and FPGAs in HFT, but idk about stock exchanges.

Well, Python for me is a great tool. It doesn't really teach you much about back end computing but it teaches you the basics of computer programming. Plus it's general purpose, so it can be used for almost anything, although it will be less efficient for certain tasks, but it's still possible. Definitely a perfect first language, and it just so happens to be highly useful.

>rust and go like languages

sorry but this isn't happening

It's not a type declaration, it's just a tarted-up comment.

You could violate it twenty times over if you're not using an external utility that screams at you for doing so.

Why not learn everything at once and become a programming wizard?

Nim

Whatever is more comfy to write in.

Python is implemented in C.

why not both?

> cd cd.. ls

I think if she had just some source code copied from somewhere on her editor she wouldn't be made fun of that bad. But then again that's most fresh linux users that pretend they know anything about computers to their friends that never opened a terminal in their lifetime cuz they use wndows

Your choice of language should be dictated by the requirements of your project. Python is really good if you value your time and performance isn't critical. Development time is much shorter and you don't have to get gritty with the details too often. C# is fairly easy to program in, performs faster than Python, but not as fast as C++. Installing libraries isn't too bad either, but you might not find everything that python has. Mileage may vary with mono if you want to run on something other than windows. C++ causes longer development times, but the performance is much better than both of the other languages. Installing libraries is a pain in the ass, and you will have to implement alot more, but the speed is good. Don't use C unless you have a specific requirement for it, like kernel work or embedded systems. Finally don't use Java. Ever. It's a shitty language that only poo in loos use.

What if you actually do wanna become a 1337 haxor

why? should just let this die a painful death
told myself not to visit this trhead again
>*here I am*

Evening anons. I picked up c# due to my course and python out of interest. I'm still new to programming (I am currently switching careers hence all knowledge I have is from uni and general interest). I tried java for Android and hated the shit out of it. I have also done a short online course on c++ but dropped it for other reasons. I wanted to also ask if and when should I start experimenting with functional programming (I think I'd go with Haskell). Is it worth investing time since im currently switching careers at age 27? I know I won't be able to compete with people who at my age would have more than a decade of experience but I want to know if it's worth pursuing a career inclined towards the development/engineering path. Otherwise I'd pursue a more business oriented path. Sorry for the blog.

Attached: 1525011818605.jpg (1280x1707, 1.45M)

python developers are in demand

I also would like to learn python and wondering if its the best language to focus on for bots and automation.

''.join(map(str, [str, str, int]))

so hard

Dale is that you?

That's definitely something Python is great at.

>he doesnt know python interops with C

I didn't. I'm new to programming.