Choosing an Ubuntu 18.04 Flavor

So, Ubuntu 18.04 is out and I want to install it on my powerful desktop pc along shitty Windows so I can use that only for gaymes.

On my laptops I've used Xubuntu (a bit) and Ubuntu Gnome. I've got some questions:

I could consider using the standard version since it now uses Gnome, but is it still good or is it bloated compared to the old Ubuntu Gnome flavor? Can you easily rice it? In particular I want to use Dash to Dock since I hate the side menu. I've heard that this Gnome is strangely configured compared to the one Ubuntu Gnome had, but it may be bs.

About Xubuntu, I really like Xfce but 1. I don't know how good it would be on a 4k display
2. I don't really care about it being lightweight as I did on laptops
3. Is it easy to make cool and functional ricing with it? I'm used to making Gnome exactly how I like it for my workflow and I also would like to have a good looking system since I have the horsepower on my desktop.

I was also considering Kubuntu. Never really was into KDE as it's a memory hog, but the new one looks pretty good and I don't give a shit if it's heavy since I'm on a powerful desktop. How's it usability/customization wise?

Attached: ubuntu-18.04-lts-.jpg (900x506, 96K)

lubuntu.me

Tried it, great for netbooks/old notebooks, used it a lot on an old virtual machine, nice and simple, but definitely not what I want on my desktop setup.

Following for the "ricing Xfce part".

I've seen some pretty good Xfce rices but can't really advise you on how they're done. Ubuntu 18.04 had regular gnome, should work with all your tweaks you're used to.
KDE 4 plasma is really good looking too but it's less based on addons compared to Gnome I think.

Attached: ubuntu_girl_modified_by_timscreations.jpg (1024x640, 91K)

Do nerds generally listen to dance music? I'd like to dance with some of you while your "Ubuntu" ends it's installation.

Attached: l-i-n-u-x-c-a-m-p-f-i-r-e-b-l-o-g-s-p-o-t-c-o-m-ubuntu-girls.jpg (931x721, 44K)

>65748907
18.04 is looking like a solid desktop to replace Windows 7 as my primary OS.

I might go with Budgie, but for now I'm gonna test out Ubuntu Gnome for a little longer. I had trouble getting xfce4 to download a few minutes ago from the ppa.

Why not Ubuntu Mate?

Attached: Brunette_Desert_Ubuntu_Mate.jpg (3840x2160, 3.44M)

It's just a Gnome skin at this point and I'm not that nostalgic about Gnome 2 desu.

If you want to use Xfce4 flawlessly install Xubuntu, it's all already set and won't interfere with another DE's files.

>Ubuntu

Attached: arch-linux-wallpaper-girl-unique-ubuntu-wallpapers-of-arch-linux-wallpaper-girl.jpg (1200x750, 106K)

OP, if you're really down with an ubuntu flavor you can't go wrong with Xubuntu

but if you're going to run xfce why not try Manjaro, or arch or debian with xfce4?

Tried em all.
Debian made me sick with it's slow updates. Solid but boring.
Arch/Manjaro on the other hand don't have really reliable repos and I find them not that good as daily drivers.

I think Ubuntu is my sweet spot as of now. Since you like xfce, can you suggest me some reliable site for add-ons and themes, and some which you deem useful/cool? Also what's the ricing workflow like in xfce? Do you have a tweak tool or something?

Attached: new-ubuntu-theme-in-18.04-lts.jpg (1480x932, 403K)

Install Debian with XFCE, or failing that install Xubuntu.

>arch
>not a 2D gril wallpaper
what a pleb

Attached: holo smug.gif (472x750, 413K)

KDE! IT customizable and really nice looking!

only "bloat" if you're looking for a 19kb desktop which would be understandable in the early 2000s but if you're using anything remotely modern then it's fine.

I always install arc osx theme and with paper icons. I put osx-white for window decs and "darker" for the actual theme. Install a cool greater too

Try Kubuntu. I was never into KDE either, because the older versions looked and felt pretty bad, but Plasma is pretty damn nice.

Also, Gnome is more of a memory hog than KDE, atleast nowadays.

>using a systemd distro
>b-but it suck less because I chose a different desktop
no

Greater?
Not falling for that meme, systemd sucks but it's not really an option to use obscure distros with zero support for a reliable installation.

Attached: banner-systemd-1.png (550x250, 46K)

I'm pretty new to xfce and have so far stuck with manjaro's xfce out of the box skin [it doesn't look bad] so I can't really help you there, I was originally running ubuntu with cinnamon.

I don't really know what it means when you say it's got unreliable repos, but I have only just installed manjaro after testing the new release over the weekend on a whim, it was noticeably faster than ubuntu even on the ancient hdd I installed to. there's still time for it to fuck up but I don't see that happening with what I'm doing usually.

why not?

>Arch/Manjaro on the other hand don't have really reliable repos and I find them not that good as daily drivers.

Thing is, the official repos are non-existent and you have to trust AUR packages which are user submitted and you don't really know what you're getting. It's like installing lots of random PPAs on Ubuntu.

It's nice but too barebones looking on my 4k display. If I have to go for a simple distro I'd rather use Xubuntu if I don't have to squeeze to the last bit of performance.

Btw both 18.04, lubuntu, xubuntu and kubuntu are cool and viable options, if I made this thread it's because it's hard to choose.

Attached: Linux-AIO-Ubuntu-16.10.jpg (900x506, 83K)

>to squeeze to the last bit of performance
those buntus are pretty much the same
de =/= distro

Yeah but Lxde is a bit lighter.

Truth hurts

eh, that's not too much different than any other set of repos that include open source packages / apps, like the ubuntu/debian ppas, there just isn't a governing body overseeing the versions being put in, on top of that iirc ubuntu has a bad habit of using deprecated or incomplete versions of apps [WINE springs to mind, mint using necromancy on a 10 year old grub bug that causes it to not boot if you unplug the install drive and then replace it in the version before the latest].

what truth

>obscure distros with zero support for a reliable installation.
Slackware? TrueOS? OpenBSD? Devuan?

debian have the shittiest repositories by far
that's why we have threads like and every bigger project publishes .deb themselves