/spg/ – Smartphone General – No more FAKE NEWS edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

>News
Huawei P20 & P20 Pro Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Huawei-P20---P20-Pro-Review_id4517

Nokia 6 (2018) review
gsmarena.com/nokia_6_2018-review-1754.php

Meizu 15, 15 Plus, and 15 Lite hands-on review
gsmarena.com/meizu_15_meizu_15_plus_meizu_15_lite_hands_on-review-1753.php

Motorola announces moto G6 and E5
anandtech.com/show/12668/motorola-announces-moto-g6-and-e5

Early First Look at the Honor 10
xda-developers.com/early-first-look-at-the-honor-10/

Xiaomi Mi A1’s successor is coming along with another Android One phone
xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-a1-successor-android-one/

Previous:

Attached: red.jpg (800x600, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/cases-leather/pp_1047796.html?wid=1433363
youtu.be/_cuSpSd4uGU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why is it so hard to find a phone with clean Android, a good camera and a headphone jack.

inb4 Nokia 7+
I heard the display is bad

Nokia 8. It's what I'm getting.

Speaking of, I need a case for Nokia 8. Recommendations anyone?

>Place order for Redmi Note 5 on gearbest and pay for it
>"Ships by" date that was on the page when I originally ordered passes, order is still marked as only "paid" and not processing or shipped
>Check the phone page again to see if anything has changed
>It's now marked as discontinued and redirects me to presales for the same phone, but from the HK warehouse and $50 more expensive
>Not sure if my order is still set to be processed or if they ran out of stock or discontinued the sale I paid for

Can anyone who's used gearbest tell me what's going on? Did I get chinked or are they still going to fulfill my order?

I never used it, but maybe you should ask them directly.

Project Treble. Probably the first time ever I consider getting a samsung phone. Not this year though, there is only two ROMs yet.

>tfw waiting for Nokia 6.1 to become available in CZ

Attached: 16681730_1385236331517686_3479150270878396101_n.jpg (800x478, 45K)

gearbest.com/cases-leather/pp_1047796.html?wid=1433363

lol

What if the Moto G5 Plus actually costs 25% more here?

Hmm, ya. That looks pretty decent. Thanks.
Then I'll get like a silicone screen protector and I should be golden.
Although I heard glass is pretty nice too.

repostan
I can't get adb to work with my Nokia 7+, aren't there any drivers out?

Shit I got a Sprint essential phone I think.
Hope this won't fuck me over. Trying to flash a stock image.

youtu.be/_cuSpSd4uGU

Opinions?

Attached: meizu-15.jpg (588x650, 31K)

Friend just buy a Nokia N9

Attached: IMG_20180501_105707.jpg (741x1280, 112K)

Why the fuck are you asking us? Ask the fucking company.

Have an S7, what is a good phone to upgrade to after that?

>only android phones in the OP
Jesus christ

Attached: IMG_20180429_020933.jpg (1280x960, 240K)

Hey, that's a 830 right? I have the same one but it's dying so I'll change for a new phone sometime this summmer

Didn't windows phones go to one carrier for the most part?

I just bought a 950. I think I did well considering it cost $110. It'll beat the shit out of any of the new Nokias for that price and above.

Attached: image-2.jpg (558x900, 101K)

Which one is on the left?

So I have pic related and it's starting to give up on me and I'm trying to find something better or the same, preferably better.
>U.S
>Android
>Metro P.C.S.
>Around $100-300

Attached: asus-zenfone-2-1.jpg (472x550, 59K)

can anyone r8 the keyone?

Attached: Keyone.jpg (1118x830, 130K)

I have a Moto G4 Play which has served me well but the 720p resolution is starting to annoy me, the GPS is getting wonky, and I want to upgrade.

Do I get a china phone like the Mi A1? What about the Redmi Note 5 Pro with the 636? Zenfone Max Pro m1?

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help me decide. I want a phone with a nice interface- stock android isn't required- but it has to work with Fido (Rogers) LTE in Canada. It doesn't need all of the bands.

Attached: shitposting_machine.jpg (1920x1080, 219K)

What is a good Battery life
>Durability
>As plane and "featureless" as possible
>Steady internet connection

Camera is not a priority at all, and I would get one without a camera, but I don't think smartphones without cameras even exist.
Also, I don't play games so it doesn't need a retarded amount of ram or a "high performance" cpu.

Attached: 1456476941199.jpg (640x932, 91K)

Blackberrys still exist?

C H I N K
H
I
N
K

what's the short verdict on new Nokias?

any moto

Moto g5s plus?

Did you use PayPal? I used GearBest twice with PayPal and never got chinked.

Locked to hell and back bootloaders.

yeah, and it has an encryption technology, which I like, but don't really understand

>locked bootloader
But there are some rumors that they'll give a way to unlock them.

Otherwise, they're pretty good phones, slightly better than average on every point, so they don't really stand out.
However, the cameras are meh at best (at least without gcam) and almost all of their screens tend to be too cold (and stock android doesn't have the feature to change it)

shit. how's the stock firmware at least?

>slightly better than average on every point, so they don't really stand out.
sad, but pretty much what I expected

They're in on the Android One program, so it should be about as stock as it can get.

The display isn't bad, just go to a store and check it out

The G5 Plus costs more than the G5S Plus? Both with the same storage size?

Have you tried the universal adb driver thing?

Nokia 3 I think

Huawei Mate SE, Moto G5+/G5S+, Nokia 6.1 (Nokia 6 2018), Galaxy S7

Has anyone else's battery on the S8 (not +) turned to shit? Had mine since June. Used to get a solid 5-6 hours of SOT and now it's 2-3.

ah, ok. thanks for the answers

>spend hundreds on a phone
>don't put a case on it
Dumb

>spend hundreds on phone
>it's built so badly with such garbage materials that it requires a case
dumb

>drop iPhone 8 what's the hardest glass ever TM
>shit shatters
>350 dollar repair

Man, I'm using a Nexus 6 and am on t mobile so the new Nokias are not an option. They don't have t mobile bands. Do I wait for the op6 or pixel?

i fucking had this phoneee wasnt it huawei u8800 or something

>iPhone 8 what's the hardest glass ever TM
>there are people that actually think this is a good thing

They advertise it as the strongest, not hardest

>want to use phone naked
>deathly afraid of breaking it despite having only really dropped it once

Still applies.

Try a factory reset

Nokia 6.1 does have T-Mobile bands

Blackberries are dead. Watch the news about their main feature "security/privacy".

>get phone with stock Android
>it's amazing
Why do vendors insist on adding ugly skins and stupid apps?

My iPhone 5S is dying, so looking for a replacement. I like 5S's form factor, I like that it got updates for so long, but I don't like the OS's limitations, so while I considered the supposedly upcoming SE2 I am looking to switch back to android.

I want: clean stock OS updated for as long as possible, 5" screen maximum (preferably smaller), nice looks and feel,durability, decent battery life. I'd pay iPhone X-level prices for a phone that checks all the boxes.

I am based in Chile, but travel to the US frequently, so I could buy in either place.

The pixel 2 might be a nice choice, but it is not that really small form factor you want.

Also no headphone jack if that's important to you.

>5" screen maximum
Sony XZ1 Compact / XZ2 Compact, Pixel 2

>buy glass phone
>drop it on concrete next day
aaaand it's in trash now

Quick question, Moto G5 plus
>Y/N
My carrier are selling them dirt cheap right now since the G6 is dropping soon or should I wait for the G6

Attached: 1487337964319.gif (498x498, 613K)

>The pixel 2 might be a nice choice, but it is not that really small form factor you want.
I think I could get used to 5". I'll see if there are any stores that carry it so I can hold it and see how it feels.
It being a Google phone makes me a bit uneasy. Been trying to remove that company from my life.

>Also no headphone jack if that's important to you.
I don't really use that.

Thanks. How is the ZX's reliability/durability? I have had bad experiences with Sony in the past (long time ago, though).

Man, going from the Oneplus 3 that has a 16:9 5.5 inch screen to the Sony XZ2 Compact that has a 5 inch 18:9 screen makes my Oneplus 3 feel like a tablet in comparison, the 18:9 aspect ratio is the best thing to happen to smartphones in a long while. Big 16:9 phones feels like ass to hold in the hand because they're so wide and I have pretty big hands since I'm 6'3.

Attached: 1485371830816.png (392x396, 25K)

I just wish they made 5.5 inch 16:9 bezelless phones

>I heard the display is bad
Literally what. The display is pretty good in my opinion, and I saw no reviews claiming otherwise.

Like this one?

Attached: twarren_180223_2327_0022.0.jpg (1200x800, 96K)

>CHINKED.COM
Thats what you get for spending your money on chinese crap

That's what he gets for not using PayPal on a chink site.

I've read that for both the 7+ and the 6.1, the screen is way too cold (9000 K for the 6.1 and 7500 K for the 7+)

why is it bad for you?

Yeah, basically everything is tad too blue and the perfect screen should be at 6500K
It's a great screen nonetheless, the delta E is great overall, it's just that it isn't perfect

Attached: temperature-couleur.jpg (599x164, 31K)

That's not a 16:9 aspect ratio desu
What's wrong with your OP3?

>That's not a 16:9 aspect ratio desu

>2560x1440
Yes it is.

>That's not a 16:9 aspect ratio desu
It is, reviewers complained about both the SoC and the screen being soooo 2017

thoughts on oukitel mix 2?
>headphone jack
I need a new phone and it's cheap.

Attached: oukitel mix2.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

dude holy shit it has 3 (THREE) cameras

I did after updating to Oreo. I was actually getting shit battery even before the update.

>What's wrong with your OP3?
Just the size, the OP3 is perfect in every way aside from that and I've been struggling real hard to find a good enough replacement for it and I still had to compromise because it's impossible to find a phone with good custom ROM/developer support nowadays. The XZ2 Compact doesn't even have root but I can live with it because I only used root for Cf Lumen and Titanium Backup, and the XZ2 Compact have Cf Lumen functionality built into the software anyways.

I could've easily kept using it another year or two but I wanted a smaller phone, and the battery life has started becoming worse so I figured that I might as well replace it now when I have some extra money lying around.

then just get insurance on it

Oh yeah, the XZ2 Compact is waterproof and the OP3 isn't but that's not really a huge deal breaker but it's nice to have the extra durability

Hey guys I'm looking to buy a new phone, what reccomendations do you have? (My priorities are good audio, decent battery and good performance in this order)

Need to replace my phone. Should I get an S8 or fork over the extra shekels for an S9?

>changed my phone contract to get an iphone 8 plus
>changed last year

why am i so shit with money

>still buying phones on contract
that's why

HELP ME OMG SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Nokia 6 (2018) or 7 Plus

It's not 2008 anymore, some carriers will literally subsidize the cost of the phone just to get you on their network.
I mean unless you live in a shithole with zero competition in that case RIP.

maybe, but being shackled to that contract that ends up making up their subsidy and more doesn't seem like a good idea.
i'm fine now with my bought outright S9 on a non-contract carrier

Pixel 2 xl

>Moto G5+/G5S+
I heard the G5S+ was shit compared to the normal G5+, especially since the G5S+ doesn't have a removable battery

This 7 Plus looks great but I wonder where the fuck I can even buy it.

>making up their subsidy
Not really, in the end you're going to have to pay for a plan regardless. At least in my area, you're not getting a vast discount for bringing your own device, surely not enough to even halfway cover the cost of a new device in 2 years. Depending on carrier, they also make up their costs in other ways, from mine they overcharge for all phones bought out right + mid range devices are expensive af.
If you love switching carriers every month or something then so be it, but that's definitely not my priority.

Preferrably within 400 -500 price range

What's a good phone to get as a substitute for a Iphone 5c? My friend wants to buy another iphone, but due to [spoiler] Brazil prices [/spoiler] i do NOT think that's a good idea. Does it make sense to get a 6s?

>doesn't have a removable battery
Neither does the G5+

iPhone SE? It has the same processor and rear camera as the 6S, but is usually way cheaper.

Can you get insurance post-purchase?

Huh, i didn't know about it. What about the SE2 that's supposedly coming out soon?

Do these things actually work? Seems like a lot of people have problems with them according to reviews.

If not I'll have to narrow my choices to phones with headphones jacks.

Attached: usb-c-type-c-to-3-5mm-headphone-jack-audio-adapter-charging-cable.jpg (950x950, 97K)

What is the best camera I can get in a phone for 400$

Attached: 1522892497446.jpg (640x639, 66K)

I was hoping to wait to buy a Xiaomi Mi A2 but my current phone's state is quickly getting worse and worse. During to unforseen circumstances I may have to do a lot of traveling in the very near future, mostly to the US (I'm a leaf faggot) so I need to order a new phone later today.

I don't really want to spend more than $300US on a phone. Don't need a headphone jack and I don't mind a subpar battery. Would an A1 have any sort of signal issues if I'm going around the US? I probably won't be going out to the middle of nowhere. Or should I just get whatever phone from my service provider?

>Do these things actually work?

Yes, but not with every phone.