CD"s dying

>CD"s dying
>most online stores only sell mp3s
>streaming taking over
REEEEEEEEEEE why the fuck is music going backwards? Almost all streaming sites except Tidal have shit quality, and it's scummy as hell to sell compressed digital files at almost full price. A lot of albums will never get lossless releases at this rate. Thank god for Bandcamp, but they don't have everything obviously.

Attached: cd-mastering.jpg (3435x3314, 2.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mam-a.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Use Deezer.

>tidal
even just quoting tidal shows what kind of dumb ass you are. just buy the CD release and rip, if you cant get that then get whatever you can, reeing over shit that literally doesnt matter.

Whine about it to the artists themselves.

>except Tidal
oh you'd be surprised what's hiding in those flacs

Always buy stacks of re-writable CD's when you see them at a thrift store and stockpile them like I do.

>if you cant get that then get whatever you can, reeing over shit that literally doesnt matter.
Except it does matter if you can't get it. Retard.

What?

what are we going to do with all those plastic CD and CD-R?

Attached: download.jpg (259x194, 12K)

>what is recycling
Especially with a super common product like that, you can have recycling plants just for CDs.

premium backups

>what is recycling
a scam perpetuated by good PR it generates.

Everything is still released on CD. Buy used CD's for under $5 or go to /mu/-sharethread.
I rip my music (classical) by going to the library and now I have all that for free.

>A lot of albums will never get lossless releases at this rate.
Who cares if "JunglePussy" only releases DRM m4a aac-lc 256kbps

Back when AOL disks stopped being a thing, my brother and I and his friends made a janky ass sled out of the disks and a computer case. It worked surprisingly well and we had a ton of fun with it.

Why don't they sell are music in wav?

make cd bubbles

Because 99% of consumers value convenience over sound quality and 100% of record labels are all about chasing normie money.

>Everything is still released on CD.
This isn't true at all. You must only listen to old shit. Newer music is digital only far too often.

>mentions bandcamp
>doesn't know that bands can sell physical copies on there
I really don't see the issue here unless you're into mainstream trash which is expensive AF to buy FLAC versions of

A album that just released this year by one of my favorite bands I bought on vinyl a month ago

Just listen to J-Pop. Everything is released on CDs

Attached: cover.jpg (1200x1200, 1.23M)

All the new music I buy is on CDs.

you placebo fags are retarded

Because .wav files are bigger than .flac files but contain the exact same data. Lossless compression

What placebo?

>vinylfags
You're helping to destroy the physical market, you know.

CDs are shit because sometimes the tags are wrong. Compressed archives distributed on the Internet are better because the data is still "live" - i.e. able to be improved

I'm actually okay with digital distribution. What I'm not okay with is DRM.

>Tidal
Oh boy, you're in for a surprise.

>sometimes the tags are wrong
Just fix your tags when you rip it. What's the issue?

1. CD is highly susceptible to bitrot if not properly verified.
2. Downloading is more convenient. However, they should provide a FLAC version and it is bullshit that many sites are mp3 only.
3. Streaming is bullshit
4. I pirate all my music lol

>bitrot
well meme'd

What are you faggots talking about?

Most CDs don't even have tags... unfortunately. (Disc ID a shit.)

>MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio files may not be uploaded as the MQA encoding process introduces unwanted artifacts. This includes all 24-bit files from TIDAL.
Imagine actually paying for this

I can torrent FLACs. Not an issue.

It depends on what program you use to rip them, but a ton of them automatically fetch tags from internet databases. Of course if it's something very obscure and/or brand new, nothing will be found.

The most convenient things tend to win out over higher quality, but less convenient things.
Take CRT for example. LCD's are worse in almost every way visually except for resolution, and people switched over to it because of the size. Most people just don't care about quality.

>but a ton of them automatically fetch tags from internet databases
All using Disc ID. Which, like I said, a shit.

Good luck getting anything not mainstream
>0 peers

How the fuck do you make a laptop with a CRT, retard? People are moving away from desktops.

>not getting mainstream *and* obscure FLACs from Deezer

That was a market where convenience won out, because nobody wants to lug around a CRT. And, that wasn't a great argument, because once again, laptops are inferior to desktops, but more convenient. You made my point for me.

>laptops are inferior to desktops, but more convenient
Cars are inferior to trucks, yet more convenient.

That's really not a good argument to make, because in that case there is no clear winner. In the case of CRT vs LCD, or CD's vs MP3's, one pretty much won while the other one isn't used much anymore. Trucks are not the vast majority of vehicles vs cars. I don't know what point you're trying to make.

I'm making an analogy between cars and laptops vs. trucks and desktops. Nothing to do with CRT and LCD.

The market decides what sells the most you dummy.

>vinyl
If they sell the vinyl players at supermarkets vinyl be a big hit ! Also hope new cars comes with vinyl ! Fag.

asian pop music is fucking garbage

Ulitmately yes, but my point is people tend to choose the inferior but more convenient option everytime. Betamax was superior, people chose VCR. Blu ray went against this, and only because Sony forced it. You can find contradictions. But in the case where there are competing technologies that do pretty much the same thing (not in cars vs trucks, because they have very different functionalities), the more convenient wins. The average person has no clue about the technical specs.

There is no such thing as a free market, user. Hence the market can't actually decide anything.

K-pop is bad, but J-pop is for the cultured man.

Another example of this is film vs digital projection. Digital projection looks awful in most theaters I've been to, until very recently they've gotten better. Digital projectors in theaters have been 2k resolution, while 35mm film was WAY better. It was easier not to mess with film, so the theaters went for the inferior (technically) product. Most people aren't even aware of the difference.

just use apple music or whatever streaming service, there's literally no sound difference

Attached: 1512651621391.jpg (640x640, 125K)

>320kbps opus is "shit quality"
Congratulations, you played yourself.

Attached: .png (2688x2688, 173K)

This fucking brainlet who thinks he's audiophile actually believes he can hear the difference between flac and 320 kbps opus, fucking retard.

Who said that?

Try a bit harder next time with your bait reply.

I can when the Opus is reencoded to 256kbps AAC.
Generational loss is real and my car doesn't play Opus.

It's a good codec though, I wish more shit would support it - I'd save ~150GB...

he's right though please provide your double blind abx test results

The OP, and all whoever claims that streaming services are shitty because apparently they can "hear" the quality difference between them and a CD or flac.

>when the Opus is reencoded to 256kbps AAC
Citation needed.
>my car doesn't play Opus
Why would you care about sound quality in your car anyways? You'll be too busy hearing the engine and the traffic sounds, and would be better off concentrating on the road instead of listening to music.

Reminder that Apple Music is literally saving music from the loudness war.

In October 2013, Bob Katz announced on his website that "The last battle of the loudness war has been won", claiming that Apple's mandatory use of Sound Check for iTunes Radio meant that "The way to turn the loudness race around right now, is for every producer and mastering engineer to ask their clients if they have heard iTunes Radio. When they respond in the affirmative, the engineer/producer tells them they need to turn down the level of their song(s) to the standard level or iTunes Radio will do it for them. He or she should also explain that overcompressed material sounds 'wimpy' and 'small' in comparison to more open material on iTunes Radio."

>uses code to quote on Jow Forums
Autism

My point was that pretty much every site uses mp3 or occasionally AAC. Opus is a meme just like webp.

You're supposed to use meme arrows to quote dummy

no bulli

>calling things "meme" instead of elaborating why it's bad
That's how you know your argument is weak. Opus is as good as AAC no doubt.

I listen to music on $300 grados hooked through a preamp and a pro DAC. I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between a "lossless" FLAC and a 44/16 cd rip.
Are you fuckers memeing or have you sipped the audiophile advertisement koolaid?

Optical disystem rock for storing movies and music. A cake of 50 of the best quality DVD-R's you can buy, or CD-R's, are available from Mitsui Advanced Media, America (MAM-A) for about $18.00 These are archival quality silver and gold disks, guaranteed to last 100 years or more. Really awesome media, used for a lot of medical applications:

mam-a.com

Do any websites even sell DRM-free music anymore?

No one is arguing about FLAC vs. CD you retard. The issue is not enough digitsl stores sell FLAC at all, usually mp3 or AAC.

>2013
Obviously he's still completely wrong because most modern music is still brickwalled.

All of them? Amazon, Google and Apple are all DRM-free, the only one I'm not sure about is Groove but its dead so who cares.

iTunes sells CD-quality digitals. The point im making is that FLACs are placebo. The only benefits are if you have insanely good monitors that can pick up the compression or are planning to use them as samples/fuck with the mastering

Without a lossless source my lossy library would sound like shit

Is FLAC better than Records or are record player fans full of hot air?

I might get a good turntable to get some good audio

Vinyl is for dumb hipsters 99% of the time.

Well then friendo I don't know what to tell you, you're stuck with Tidal, Bandcamp and the 'tism

Not a meme in this case, CD's a are a physical medium, the reflective layer is prone to failure and the actual pitted surface of the disc can be scratched.

A commercial CD won't last forever.

Vinyls have a "warmer" sound. People like it more for its texture and and imperfect/organic feel rather than its fidelity.

>hurr autism
Wow, didn't see that coming

>The point im making is that FLACs are placebo
Except that's not what you said.
>I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between a "lossless" FLAC and a 44/16 cd rip How is something a placebo if does its intended job? A FLAC sounds the same as a WAV, that's the point.

Ok that makes sense, I admit my fault.
Thanks for clarifying, good sir!

Vinyl sounds nice but it's not hi-fidelity. The theoretical dynamic range, especially the lows, is inferior to CD. Also because the RPM is the same the entire record, (unlike a CD which spins faster at the inner part to maintain a constant bitrate) the sound quality gets worse as the record goes on. This is why older records kept the good tracks at the beginning and put all the shit tracks at the end. From a technological standpoint CDs are far better than vinyl, the issue is sometimes CD masters are shit and too compressed. (loud)

DUDE
Even has a tool made for it for easy FLAC ripping.

So what's a good hifi option? Any special CD/FLAC devices?

Attached: 20180501_191537.jpg (1232x288, 69K)

Just buy vinyls if you want a physical copy. They're making a comeback.

>So what's a good hifi option?
Buy CD and rip to FLAC. Also invest in a decent speaker setup.

The Hi-Res Sony Walkman mp3 players sound very good. Either that or just use your computer assuming you have a halfway decent sound setup.

What does that even mean though. Should I get a sound card or get a good DAC? Aren't those disgustingly expensive?

How the fuck do these fucking recording companies screw up a simple encoding process? You'd expect them to know what they're doing.

>discid
Is this 2008? Hook EAC up to a Gracenote DB freedb plugin and it grabs metadata for literally almost everything, including your obscure shit.

>Should I get a sound card or get a good DAC?
Does your sound have pops and crackles as a result of bad electronics? If no, then you don't need one. Invest in good speakers.

So how does ELAC Debut sound for a speaker option. I have been eyeing it for a while

I've never listened to them nor have I seen any measurements, so I couldn't tell you. The design looks like a normal bookshelf speaker though (which is good). They are passive, so you would need to get an amplifier for them.

More than just Asian pop is released in Asia.

>iTunes sells CD-quality digitals
Not to be an audiophile but if it's not lossless I don't really care. If I need to convert it to a different lossy filetype later down the road for some dumbass reason I don't want to lose quality.

>exit trance

Attached: 1456185129096.jpg (557x604, 220K)