Help me choose a CPU

Hey, guys.

I want to build a low budget gaming PC that can run Windows 7 (I have old software that only works with W7 so I'm not gonna install W10 till at least W7 extended support ends).

I already bought a GTX 1050 and I was thinking of getting 8GB of RAM and an old CPU that can run W7 (Ryzen, Intel 7th & 8th gen CPUs don't work with W7).

The best CPUs I can afford are the FX-8350 and the i3-6100.

Which should I get? I read that Intel 6th gen CPUs work with W7, but some people say they still can't install it because of some USB driver issues. And the FX-8350 does work with W7, but cheap AM3+ motherboards don't have drivers for W10 so in 2 years I may have problems when I switch.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-FX-8350/3511vs1489
youtube.com/watch?v=3ZR-3r-RTfU
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>610
either get an i5 or buy the FX

can't afford an i5 and the fx motherboard doesn't have drivers for w10

Buy used PC/parts.. and next time don't make a retarded thread of your own but post in one of the the gorillion support/pc building threads

i don't buy used and oops sorry i'm new here

Just get a Macbook.

can't game on that

Uhh yeah you can just buy an thunderbolt gpu enclosure and get max gains

i3-6100.

Bootcamp

I mean, what do you want?
i3 is 2c/4t while FX is 8c/8t. those cores are a bit more useful for cpu intensive tasks. While programs tend to be more optimized for intel. the i3 is a better general use cpu, while FX has more coares (that's all it really has going for it)

I have an fx-8320 and it's a nice CPU. however, the stock cooling is bad and will make it feel like a bad CPU. I recommend upgrading your cooler, and specifically I recommend a water cooler, because it's what I use. I actually managed to get a closed loop water cooling system by Thermaltake(? I think it was thermaltake, anyway) in an open-box from Fry's for $22. if you can't get a deal, you would end up paying less than $50 for what I have. it works great and isn't too loud. I have had it for nearly 2 years with no issue. previously I had the computer shutting off doing light gaming due to overheating and got BSODs, now I don't.

Well my PC still sometimes shuts down but I think that's because I got a gtx750 because I didn't want to spend anymore, and it can't handle it.

also realize that support for w10 maybe isn't so important. w7 is still supposed to have official support to 2020 I think, and it came out in 2009. I still use windows XP on a laptop daily, with a few issues, but it's surprisingly usable for being 18 years old. I think that w7 will be usable for a while longer, probably well into 2020, so I wouldn't worry too much about w10 drivers. good luck

>FX
Why not a ryzen instead? Even my old as fuck x58 architecture beats the shit out of the FX one.
Dude buy a fuckign ryzen 3 if you're that low on money the quad core should be enough.

>Ryzen, Intel 7th & 8th gen CPUs don't work with W7

but they do

Attached: 0326F6BA2BF7443ABF00EBE3146AFA5A.png (232x358, 65K)

Some of the older high range Phenom 2 cpu's are still a viable option.

An i5 2400 and b75 board will cost under $100 and perform better then anything you are looking at. There is literally no reason not to buy used, aliexpress and eBay both have great customer protection.

is the stock cooler bad even if i dont overclock?

they dont (oficially) work on w7

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

i dont live in the us and i still dont think i could buy used. the cpu/mobo pins make me paranoid, maybe theyre broken and i cant see it

thats what microsoft wants you to believe

Attached: laughing_Char.png (375x375, 100K)

If you really want to choose betwen those two ? I3 6100. But if u really choosing i3 6100, choose G4560.

I got my phenom 2 x6 1055t on Aliexpress for like 45$ and they had a metric butt ton of them.

yeah ik, i was gonna get the g4560, then i read it doesnt work with w7 and i was like fuck

my current rig has an am3 board that supports that cpu. it's tempting. but idk, i was thinking of buying new, and more powerful

If the pins are broken you return it and get a refund

>g4560, then i read it doesnt work with w7 and i was like fuck
Neither does i3 6100, believe it or not 8350 or the fx series runs more efficiently in win8/10 than 7 because the way it's designed with improve mutithreaded use.

>Neither does i3 6100

b-but..

The High end Phenom 2's also overclock well. Drivers were a pain in the ass to work out though.

"not supported" doesn't mean it's not working anymore. some user found a way to run win 7 on ryzen and skylake setup.

Kek

Wait until you can or cheap out on something else, it's not worth wasting money on an i3

>The best CPUs I can afford are the FX-8350
What? The Ryzen 2200G is cheaper than the FX-8350, and very definitely better.

The i3 is much faster, especially for gaming

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-AMD-FX-8350/3511vs1489

fx8350 with stock cooler is disgustingly loud, you have to budget for a custom cooler (and a decent one at that) because it's basically unusable at stock.

I used to underclock my CPU to 90% to stop it from going ape shit with the fx 8320, while doing anything intensive it would run at 5000 RPM at it's max temp of like 63c.

Even with a cold room on cold days it still happened, in summer my PC was basically unusable with the stock cooler

My 8350 works fine. Has hyper 212 Evo cooler because stock is silly loud. Also I have the cheapest motherboard, and it runs win10 fine, so I don't know what you are on about.

Get at least a i7-2600 or something. Should be in a similar price range. A cheap B350 board and a 2200G would be even better. Overclockable, future proof, switch CPUs once you got the money.

I've never had any driver issues running Win10 on either of my two am3+ computers. one has a cheap-o gigabyte mobo and the other a budget asus mobo.

Anybody who is having usb driver issues related to installing win10 on an intel 6th generation cpu is just flat out confused about computers in general.

>customer protection
No, no they don't.
OP I bought a i5 2400 from aliexpress 2 years ago and some of the pins were bent as fuck, they just delivered it in bubble wrap and a box.

a ryzen build might end up being more expensive when you consider how you get locked into using ddr4 ram and a new am4 mobo

that being said, OP should only consider buying these outdated parts if they are used and deeply discounted.

2500k is better than both

8350 costs way less than the 2200g + ddr4 + mobo

8350 is way shittier than a 2200g, and of course he should buy used, he would buy the 8350 used too. you can get 4 gb ram sticks for 20 €...

Even if you buy used, the relation is the same. 8350 can handle 99% of games just fine.

God damnit what is it with this second hand bullshit? OP, FX series processors run at stupidly high voltages, so the VRMs get hot as hell. Especially if someone uses a meme cooler that doesn't blow air in that direction.
Don't buy second hand mobos ever.

More like 60 %, it shutters heavily in modern games. Min FPS go to below 30. There is no reason to buy old used shit if you can buy used Ryzens in the age of 2018. Maybe get 1st gen hardware from someone who switches. I saw 1600s going for 100 € with cooler, twice the performance than a 8350.

>Inthe meanwhile I sell used Phenom IIs because they are still worth gold, some pay 40 € for one

Not a single game stutters on it

If those are the best CPUs you can afford, get an i5-4670k instead. The motherboards will be cheaper, it runs cooler than those AMD ovens (FX series), and it isn't a shit i3-quality chip

fx is 8c/4t

Attached: 20180428_142653.jpg (1080x1340, 401K)

just use ryzen 2200G user

why not go with sandy/ivy bridge?

>i5 2400
>pins
sure they didn't send you a 478 pentium or something?

jebus christus. is this a bot thread
just get a goddamn xeon and oc it depending on cooler budget.
why hasn't anyone else mentioned this is beyond me.

>The best CPUs I can afford are the FX-8350
The 8350 is actually not better then the 6530.
The 6530 has way better single core performance as it clock much, much higher and also has better cache latency and memory bandwidth in general, one of the big flaws of those CPUs.

>wants to gayme
>uses Winshit7
>implies there are programs that work on Win7 but not on Win10
That's all wrong. There's nothing that work on Win7 and not Win10. There is however drivers and programs that work on Win10 that don't work on Win7.

Win10 legacy components are actually way better also, if you enjoy shitty 90's Win32 gaymes and shit.

HAHAHA, definitely no heavy framedrops way below 60

youtube.com/watch?v=3ZR-3r-RTfU

>I want to build a low budget gaming PC that can run Windows 7
Ryzen

This, or a 4570 or even 3570 if you poor. What games are you playing? - you're almost certainly limited to 1080p by your monitor. The GPU for these tier CPUs/monitors will bottleneck above RX 480/GTX 960 on most games. Might need to peg back settings on a few new ones but how can you spend on games not hardware then? You'd probably be close to OK with a $100 ex-commercial Dell.

I use a RX 580 with a 6530 and games like GTA V, Doom, Witcher 3 run just perfectly fine with settings maxed out at 60 FPS without drops, either at 1080p or 1440p, thinking people who use a FX chip in todays age actually care about higher than that resolutions or framerates with as cheap of a build as such a build is in the first place, it's more than enough.

2200g/wait for second gen R3 + a ps2 keyboard to install usb drivers once youre in windows
t.r5 1600 on win7
if you have an old drive with windows already installed even better! my install from a c2q just worked on ryzen

8350 is the better choice because cores and shit but a 1300x is a better choice

These are 2015 titles and DOOM runs on a Pentium 4 (Singlecore).

Look at 2018 games, there you go.

Also the guy in the video had drops to 40 on the FX with a 1080 Ti, maybe your GPU isnt powerful enough. Ultra settings are usually the most CPU intensive.

Don't waste your money on a 2c CPU, specially when you're concerned about 2 years from now.
Fx-8350 holds up fairly on heavily threaded games and most likely won't choke your 1050 (at least not on many titles and if it does won't be by a long shot). Those fuckers use sky high stock voltage so if noisy you can undervolt a ton.
However, and I'm pretty serious about it, 3ccx Ryzen (and maybe 2ccx) are far better investment while thinking of 2 years from now.

Intel g4600

I would recommend against buying into a dead platform, like AM3+ or whatever shit Intel put the 6000 series on. Save money and get a cheap Ryzen or Coffee Lake CPU.

where did you get the motherboard drivers from? because most, if not all, asus mobos don't have drivers for w10 on their website

Cheap AM3+ boards should work fine with Windows 10

Sure it has drivers, maybe not officially but windows legacy support works just fine

Gigabyte. Don't have the model on hand. Was like $40 like... 5? Years ago

ayy lmao

buy a used pc off craigslist, offer up, let go, ebay from auctions or a cheap pc that you can buy immediately with an i5 2400 and up, i have the same as you, i5 2400 gtx 1050 20gb ram, got it all for 350