What software do you guys use for writing essays, or more generally, for writing papers?

what software do you guys use for writing essays, or more generally, for writing papers?
i am currently using LibreWriter but it has been a very disappointing experience

Attached: 71CahSTXN+L._SY550SX375_SY550_CR,0,0,375,550_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_SX375_SY550_CR,0,0,375,550_SH2 (375x550, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1000D
s1000d.org
github.com/kibook/s1kd-tools
khzae.net/1/s1kd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Microsoft word. If you can't get that, Google docs is your best bet.

For me, it's La Croix.

Attached: Pamplemousse_Drops_TA-copy.png (330x310, 104K)

LaTeX desu.

LaTeX with TexStudio. Keep the LaTeX source under version control. Sorted

unironically tastes like vomit

Latex, best writing experience I ever had.

shit taste detected

Google docs for school or latex

MS Word or google docs if I'm not on a windows machine

Attached: IMG_20180501_180448.jpg (768x1280, 248K)

Nasty shit.

>Passion fruit is byfar the best.

Attached: 20180501_213304.jpg (4032x3024, 3.07M)

Unironically libreoffice writer. Have some teachers that require very specific formatting, and libre writer never let's me down. Very easy to learn.
Don't go for Google Docs if your instructors need anything more than just MLA shit.

Found you witheld

Found you Napper

>has been a very disappointing experience
I've tried Libre, Word, and OpenOffice. They're all disappointing experiences. Don't know what you're expecting, just pound some words into the keyboard. If you're doing lots of math stuff check out Latex. I personally won't touch it though.

>Oh look, a compile error in my essay

Word. Minus the math shit, its hard to beat. Make sure your employer pays for it though.

idk

I used LaTeX for everything through university.

Now I mostly use XML + XSL-FO, or LaTeX indirectly via pandoc. What I usually write now is technical documentation, not so much essays, for work and hobby. At work we use something kind of obscure, at least outside of its niche:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1000D

Probably the closest thing to compare it to that most people are aware of is DocBook, since both use XML. However, it has very little in terms of FOSS software, besides your standard XML tools. But as a programmer, that just made me more interested in it.

So now I've started creating tools for it, and tend to use it for anything I would have used LaTeX for, if sometimes for no other reason than to test and continue improving those tools. Obviously, I can't really recommend it for general use, but it makes things fun for me.

Attached: s1000dlogo.jpg (318x159, 8K)

This is interesting. I'm a production engineer for a machine/fab shop and have to write procedures for all the jobs we run. Would you recommend this? Right now there is no format or standard I just write up a basic doc using word or excel.

t. MS Shill

LaTeX and LibreOffice, you don't need anything else
>with 16% Orange Juice
>and 3% from concentrate
a true terrone would vomit, 20% true orange is the minimum
>natural flavors
I bet they even added sugar to meet murkin's demand

Attached: aranciata amara.png (640x730, 178K)

I would recommend looking in to structured documentation in general for sure, including DocBook and DITA. They have a better selection of FOSS tools available if that's what you're looking for.

S1000D has a bit of a higher learning curve, and most software is proprietary despite the specification being open. There's also not a whole lot of public examples, probably because most of the userbase is government or military. But, unlike DocBook and DITA which are mostly just XML formats, S1000D is more of an entire process and organizational system for technical knowledge.

Whether or not you think it's right for your project, it's probably still worth some time to look into if you have an interest in technical documentation. I work in aviation, which is where it got its start (ATA100), but Shipdex and Raildex are big examples of sea and land applications of S1000D respectively.

Here's their main website:
s1000d.org

My current project I mentioned is this:
github.com/kibook/s1kd-tools
I'm also trying to gather some links/resources on my site here:
khzae.net/1/s1kd

Google docs. Specialized writing software is for lit majors who are a disappointment to their parents.

Raw latex in gvim

Which version control is best for collaborative LaTeX among non-programmers? Git is usually the first mentioned here, but does distributed editing work for writing essays/papers? Seems like having to merge would just get confusing compared to a centralized locking mechansim like with SVN?

LaTeX is the only way to go

like a lot of other people here, msword or docs if I'm working with a group or away from either my desktop or laptop.

AucTeX in Emacs, with mupdf as my viewer.

i use a terminal to create a .txt and then write each line with commands

>not writing a wrapper script to call the commands for you

>what software do you guys use for writing essays, or more generally, for writing papers?
LaTeX you fucking pleb.

LaTeX inside Vis editor.

I use a terminal emulator

LaTeX with neovim

Orgmode

TextEdit.app, but when I used Windows i used Notepad.

Vim

MSWord. It is, hands down, the best program there is for this. You can set it to catch passive writing even. Perfect for essays

>Make sure your employer pays for it though.
Free or reduced price with a .edu address

overleaf

>no need to setup latex environment
>simultaneous group edits
>backlog of changes
>templates

>Being dependent on a service

>overleaf
Is this canadian thing?

the Jow Forums comment field in internet explorer 6 ran in qemu on a librem running bsd

Vim

Saw this drink at the store, but its expensive af. Is it worth getting one to try?

only as long as this thread up, thay way you could ride its hype train

For personal work I use LibreOffice.
For university I use the Microsoft Office package, because we use Excel a lot.
I think both are okay, but there are downsides to both.
I'm a centrist when it comes to this.