BEING A LINUX USER MEANS YOU ARE THE LAST TO GET NEW SOFTWARE

>new Transmission torrent client came out a few hours ago
>Windows users just have to upgrade by downloading the exe
>MacOS users just have to download the dmg
>Linux users can't find it in any repo, and the ppas aren't updated yet
>the irony is that Transmission was originally only for Linux and Mac users...........

Why is it so difficult to use the latest software as a Linux user?

Why do Linux users have to wait days, weeks or even months to get the latest software?

Why is Linux the last OS to get new software?

Attached: No_linux.png (334x393, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/transmission/
linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/firefox-reinstall-4175627559/#post5845618
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Gimp&maintainer=&flagged=
github.com/transmission/transmission/releases
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>current year
>no running a tolling distro
Weak bait

Attached: 1524239791406-pol.png (602x500, 45K)

All you have to do is pull up the changelog; see what they fixed; go into your source code; program the fixes yourself; then recompile.

Lol please tell me you didn't waste your time making this thread. Pacman has been bugging me to update it.

>program the fixes yourself; then recompile.

typical linux autism

Linux users have rTorrent. They don't need garbage like Transmission.

It's still 2.93 for you as well, liars

archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/transmission/

>no running a tolling distro
Goddammit, I meant: "not running a rolling distro"

Git

>flagged out of date
Give it another hour of two, it takes a bit of time.

It depends on the vendors. For example, windows' C standard library is that of C89 while Linux has the latest C11.

>Give it another hour of two

Again...its behind mac and windows

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1410531389235.jpg (1300x973, 46K)

>clone the git repo
>software available before it's even released
Winfags BTFO

Shut up, Richard.

Attached: 1521588971802.jpg (806x938, 337K)

Yeah so? It's because of the developers, there are plenty of cases where Linux is ahead of Windows and Mac with software updates. It's nice that they offer Windows binaries but does it really matter that you can update your torrent client a few hours earlier? I mean if you really needed it fast because of a critical bug fix or something you could always compile it from git. Why are you nitpicking? Are you jealous that Windows sucks so much compared to Linux?

>an hour or two behind mac and windows
We JUST had a thread about how GIMP 2.10 wasn't available for Windows when it was available for Linux. What are the critical changes anyway that you can't wait for? It's just a torrenting software. You use it for one purpose.

What, didn't you compile it from git? Why do you like having old software?

>not using rtorrent with gnu plus linux

>Windows sucks so much compared to Linux?

If Windows sucks, why is updating my software so much faster and easier on Windows?

Linux is the OS by any reasonable person's definition of an OS. Linux is what runs the programs. Only POSIX considers shit like cp and ls to be part of the OS. Even RMS relies on this fact in order to be able to interject, as evidenced by the "as defined by POSIX" part.

you could, y'know, install it yourself, like you did in windows
i also add a patch to transmission that does a verify after downloading anything
> aurman -Qi transmission-cli
Name : transmission-cli
Version : 2.94-0

>If Windows sucks, why is updating my software so much faster and easier on Windows?
If windows is so good why update practically only the components of the OS takes hours and can make you unable to use part of your hardware (just happened to me with the 1803 update) while updating on linux takes care of all the applications at once (and not just the main components of the os), it's much faster and doesn't requires (a forced) reboot unless the kernel is updated? just saying.

Attached: 1520818573297.jpg (376x457, 94K)

Linux is a colonel

>so much faster and easier
kek
>no central package manager
>windows apps need to come with extra bloat to check for updates
>windows update gets forced
>windows updates require restart
Meanwhile
sudo pacman -Syu

>sudo pacman -Syu

Meanwhile I go to the website and click and run or the software updates itself.

Linux btfo.

>ha, your fast and easy way of updating is no match for my inconvenient slow pleb method

Attached: 1443576904275.png (625x626, 53K)

>Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

savage

>having to go some website

What's up with all the anti-linux shill posts? unless you're being paid are you aware you're shooting yourself in the foot trying to discourage people from trying linux, even if we assume it's just a passive-aggressive way to ask for help? the next time use the /sqt/ or the /fglt/, follow the rules and give useful information about your problem, otherwise you'll not get any more meaningful help than what you could get by a simple google search. Ok, i'm gonna help you a bit: check what are the self contained package formats like flatpak and snap, check about the self contained installers like the one netbeans has or the ones the humble bundle has. Basically on linux you have all the options you have on windows plus the option of using proper package managers, on windows the closest (not full of shovelware like the windows store) option you have is chocolatey but it hardly comes close to a package manager, it's slow and it's a lot more akin to the AUR than a proper package manager, also fails pretty often in my own experience.

Attached: 1521696797655.gif (224x168, 503K)

>going to a website is bad

You literally do this all day. You're doing it right now. Might as well click on another site and get the latest and greatest.

I go here because I want to talk to other anons about stuff, retard. I don't particularly care about the updates.

The updates come to me automatically. Meanwhile, you have to go seek them out.

You are too much wrong

If I would only have one program installed then I would hardly even care if it would have to be updated from a stack of floppy disks. When it's about installing updates to a ton of programs it's always going to be faster and easier to use a centralized package manager that takes care of all of them. This is the objective truth.

>having to monitor every site of the software you use actively for new updates.
wew, you must have a lot of free time.

>go to every website for each program you have
>tell the package manager to do all of it for you
I wish computers were made to automate things

not him but i think you're misunderstanding the point, it's not that going to a website is bad, is just that it's not any better than using the package manager and it's not nearly as comfy. On linux you can just ask the package manager to take care of everything, so honestly i don't see how waiting a few hows, hell, even a few days, can outweight the convenience of the package managers and more when the same options as on windows, appimage for example, exists if you're that desperated. I'm obligated to use windows for work and let me tell you not having a proper package manager is a royal PITA, trust me, once you get accustomed to the package managers there's no way to come back, they're just too convenient it's not even fun, i certainly wouldn't change that feature most linux distros has for having a version of a program a bit earlier unless there's a very very very good reason.

This

also this

And also op is a fag

Not only that, a lot of programs on windows takes care of updating themselves so more often than not they keep bugging you to update or they install and run automatically a self updater which is extremely annoying because at some point you get a lot of those running if you don't know what you're doing.

most of my updates come to me, and much faster than your Loonix reeeepos.

>disregarding all the arguments without counter argument
>Quoting only the comments convenient for him ignoring the most interesting ones.
>that last part where the guy seems to be screaming

Attached: 1524114098857.png (540x372, 476K)

>it's a "he doesn't know how to build from git" episode

Attached: 670.jpg (499x499, 26K)

?
does transmission supports windows? wasn't it supported by a third party?

ffmpeg 4.0 going strong with av1
nowhere to be seen for any other os, ever

it does but the official version is still a "preview release"

You can try it out, or you can use the discontinued Transmission Qt 2.84.9 or the customized transmission-daemon for Windows.

what? just compile it. takes a few minutes.
they have to compile it for the baby OS's too. they assume you can take 3 seconds to do the same.

you can compile the source daily for everything and always be up to date

I'd take a delay on non-critical updates if it means I don't have to deal with custom installers and can use nice package managers.

Also, without a package manager, there's no release schedule. Every software updates independently on their own, some on a rolling release, some on a fixed schedule. Even worse, some don't update at all. Some need user interaction, some don't. Some installs to all users, some don't.

Fuck this mess.

>after the night of may day
>get amazed nobody builds your shit, but the lifeless maintainer out of pity as apple and windows users too retarded to build it from source
That's the subtle elitism of linux/bsd users.

>git pull

Transmission wasn't even on Windows for YEARS, it started on Linux (and mac I think?). This entire argument is dumb as hell.

thank you for the beta testing, wincucks!

>That's the subtle elitism of linux/bsd users.
That's the subtle passive-progressivity of windows/mac users then?

>progressivity
*aggressiveness, that fucking corrector hates me.

This picture is such a good example of rms's arrogance. Good thing in the real world people call it "Linux", because thats actually what it is.

>and the ppas
>uses debian
>wants new software
lul

>using Transmission
The problem is that you are not using Deluge!

no, you meant trolling distro

because it's not coming from a middle man maintainer, dum' ass
kinda like firefox linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/firefox-reinstall-4175627559/#post5845618

>I'd take a delay on non-critical updates if it means I don't have to deal with custom installers and can use nice package managers.

typical Loonix double standards

Imagine having hundreds of programs installed( inb4 bloat), with a package manager you can update all of them with one command, on windows you're fucked even with a package manager.

BTW, chocolatey only has Transmission 2.92 just like Debian.

why should i want the latest software ?

>my OS sucks at getting new software so I'll pretend I don't want new software anyway!

you seem to be too new not to know you don't fix what's not broken.
Lurk more.

>implying updates are just about fixes
>implying software can be completely bug free

> implying you don't know how to read

I'm afraid rtorrent is the garbage client actually

>implying you didn't just get btfo
>implying you didn't mean to say "do" instead of "don't"

fast as lightning, bro

Attached: kek.png (650x300, 10K)

is this bait?
>not using console applications for everything you can
>not living inside the terminal

I am using Debian stable for a reason, I care more about stable software then new software.

Gentoo doesn't have this problem

Attached: gentoo.png (1111x427, 115K)

>>>gnu works out of unix/non-unix/unix-like/non-unix-like
really?
inb4 hurr/gnu

>tolling

>not using qbittorrent

Several days later newest gimp isn't even out on Arch, either.

>be windows/mac user
>download transmission
>never update because have to download installer all over again and fuck that, I got viruses to clean

>be Linux user
>*insert distro specific command to download transmission*
>transmission gets an update
>install it during the system update I run weekly

>"All you have to do"

>not using tixati

2.10 came to Debian Sid already. How is it not in Arch?

curl | tar; make install
same for macfriends

archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Gimp&maintainer=&flagged=

No idea but it's pretty annoying since I just switched to Arch the day before the new gimp release.

because Arch is a meme distro

>be windows user
>only get virtual desktops in ((((current release)))) of windows
>somehow linux is the last
fuck off, faggot

what "it is" it is in fact gnu/it is

Attached: savage.jpg (500x641, 84K)

Linux sounds like such a hassle...

Just download the source code or binary files from their site.

Unless you're programming, then Windows is a hassle.

Eh, it's right here though
github.com/transmission/transmission/releases

Virtual desktops are fine if you're into that, but totally unnecessary. In all the time i used linux i never found them useful despite trying them for months.

On my desktop, I have 9 tags on awesomewm and at any given time 5-6 will be in use. It's nice to have everything organised. I hate Windows' window management.

well at least I laughed at that

I'll bite. Let it be food for thought for future shills and shitposters.
I have an old (circa 2007-2008) Toshiba laptop running Arch Linux. I don't use it anymore, the last time I updated it was like 6 months ago or so.
I'd be willing to bet a fat stack of money that it would take less time to fully update the kernel, every OS component and every program I installed on this old piece of shit laptop, than to install the April 2018 update (nothing else, no going to the websites and updating anything) on a Windows 10 machine with 7700K/i9/Threadripper/whatever, gorillion GBs of RAM and nVME SSD.

I absolutely abhor Windows 10 and everything it represents, but if there was anything that could make me switch from Windows 7, it's the virtual desktops.

inb4 "yeah but it's all shit software lol owned"

>muh transmission
>muh new software
kys

shit bait nigger thread

>transition
who cares lol

Jesus Linus basically told him to eat shit there

Fake.