10gbit Internet

Is setting up 10gbit internet worth it for home use?

>10gbit switch = $1000
>10gbit Ethernet adapter = $200
>SFP fiber cable = $50

I imagine the main bottleneck is going to be the HDD's.

Attached: netgear_10gbps_switch.jpg (1499x228, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fiber.salt.ch/en/#/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For home use? Generally not.
I have the option of 2gbps fiber, but it would require me to upgrade to 10gbps equipment in order to utilize it.
On top of the ~$1500 network upgrade, i'd need to spend another $1000 for installation of the service, and then $150/month thereafter.

Just too expensive for me when i can get 1gbps for half that.

Why would you use fiber for a home network? Cat7+GG45 seems easier in terms of terminating to a wall jack, and you can keep your existing 1Gbit hardware and upgrade once costs drop more.

>I have the option of 2gbps fiber, but it would require me to upgrade to 10gbps equipment in order to utilize it.
Well I'd argue you'd be future proofing yourself, but who am I kidding? 2Gbit fiber+ won't be cheap until another decade.

>$1000 for installation of the service, and then $150/month thereafter.
Let me guess, Comcast? I have that option too.

>Why would you use fiber for a home network?
No reason in particular. The main cost sinks are the switch and adapter, and probably a server with a proper RAID setup that can actually utilize those speeds.

ITT: Anons pretend LAG doesn't exist.

link aggregation on the host is unheard of for non server boxes

Windows 10 supports it in-box. Intel PROset has supported it (back to XP) for ages. Mate of mine (who has a Netgear smart switch) has a 2Gbps link back to his server for his main driver - all he had to do was buy a $10 nasty Realtek and tell Windows about it.

Attached: 1517398265052.jpg (600x450, 28K)

Any Linux distro can do LAG or LACP trivially.

What kind of data are you pushing around at home that is bottlenecked by gigabit ethernet?

>SFP fiber cable = $50
You can run 10gbit over copper for short distances. Unless you can somehow wire your house using premade LC-LC patch cords, you'll need like $300 worth of tools for cutting and terminating fiber.

>home use
fuck no

Even the cheapest hard disk these days can do better than the theoretical maximum of 125MB/sec GbE offers.

What do you actually need 10gbps for? It hardly makes a use case for majority of businesses - home use exponentially less

I have 1gbit home network but my purposely future-proof cables can handle up to 10gbit. Upgrading is still too expensive for my taste.

Video editing straight off network drives and vm storage are the only 2 use-cases I can think of, besides the general "make everything transfer faster" case.

>make everything transfer faster
Which if you ever move 50GB+ files around on the reg, is pretty fucking sweet.

Not really. Like 150MB is pretty decent

For home use, I have a hard time imagining a case where you'd have to use network drives for video editing instead of internal or Thunderbolt storage. And uploading finished video or backups to NAS usually doesn't need 500 MB/s (if it does, you probably have five-six digits worth of gear, the price of 10GbE should be trivial and why are you even on Jow Forums)

Unless you're working with video, you shouldn't have to move 50+ gig files regularly if you set up everything properly.

Unheard of for the uninitiated you mean.

In his defense, "the uninitiated" is a hell of a lot of people, who's only exposure to switches is the four 100Mbit ports on the back of their DSL modems.

If you want to see expensive 10gbe upgrades then come to my office where half the workstations are imacs. Lovely £300 boxes for each machine. Last year it was £500. That and my bisses are tight as fuck and love keeping the status quo.

how much do you recommend for home use?

>Why would you use fiber for a home network?
Op didn't say this, 10Gbps routers usually use SFP+ port for wan connection.

fiber.salt.ch/en/#/
>Internet 10 Gbit/s on Fiber
>49.95/month
Will come next in France.
Must suck not living in Europe

Wat? You don't need this, do you.

At most you need a 10Gbps connection to your NAS storage ($100 ish with copper SFP+). You aren't going to network externally at 10Gbps, nor do you need to.

You're right he didn't say that, but his responses would seem to indicate my inference was correct. Plus if he was actually able to afford having that kind of connection to his home, I don't think he'd care about spending a bit more on the hardware to actually use it.

But either is stupid to do off an external network. At most you should have a lical NAS and if you keep this close to your editing machine at home you can save the switches and routers and fiber optical cables and just run a 10gbe copper direct connection. Cheap and done.

>Will come next in France.
Lel no. You over-estimate French ISPs.

>but his responses would seem to indicate my inference was correct.
my bad, didn't see them.