What is a shell...

What is a shell? in a YouTube video I heard former hacker Sabu aka Hector Monsegur say that to get past a firewall on a target machine you use a reverse shell. And it got me thinking, idk wtf a shell is? So... What is a shell? Is it like a turtle shell? Do computer networks run on turtle shells?

Attached: 1521403852462.png (739x662, 286K)

A shell is a program that provides the traditional, text-only user interface for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems.

Attached: minini.png (700x3000, 266K)

What reverse shell would you guys recommend?

Most people agree that "fish" is the best standard (forwards) shell, so I (and many others) would recommend "hsif" to use as a reverse shell.

ZSH BEST

This

you use whatever the system has, and some program to redirect its output to your IP

a shell is a human interface program, that's it.
bash is a shell
explorer is a shell
the xbox dashboard is a shell

>would recommend "hsif" to use as a reverse shell.
kek
4321 1.0.0.01 hsif/nib/ e- cn

Most definitely Bash, but rewritten in Haskell, with a Rust backend.

You have alot of reading up to do
Download the following:
>VirtualBox
>Windows XP iso
>Kali Linux iso
Nmap and metasploit are your friends

No one in this thread knows shit. A shell is basically all the contents of a package besides the content, the shell contains stuff like source ip, source mac, destination ip, destination mac etc. a reverse shell is basically when you take those bits, reverse them and send a package with the contents that you want, the computer that you're hacking will think that your package is an answer from the device that the package, that you sniffed and reversed, was sent to. This is an easy way to bypass a firewall, but you need to be fast and lucky for it to work properly.

i'm not quite sure if you're just fucking with OP or not

Where would one download a safe copy of Kali.Linux?

thanks, super new to this kinda stuff

it's clear this is just bait now, if it's not you're unironically too stupid to learn to hack - if you actually want to learn go on youtube and look at CTF walkthroughs

A reverse shell is a malware that establishes a connection back to the attacker , preventing most firewalls from stopping it, and then opens up a command prompt or Unix shell on the target machine

I really can't tell if this thread is bait.

a 'reverse shell' is a confusing name for a rather simple technique
it's the connection 'direction' which is reversed, with the shell just being a common target application
basically, in a normal scenario, you have a client which sends a request to a server, which then responds with the requested content/service (such as access to a shell)
the reverse of that is when you have a server which is configured to blindly try to connect to a client, such that when the client wants, they listen for that connection to establish it
the difference here is that in the former case, the connection is outgoing from the client, and incoming to the server, and the reverse is incoming to the client, outgoing from the server
in most cases, only incoming traffic is firewalled, as only internal can generate outgoing traffic, so it is often assumed to be secure
a reverse shell is like an 'inside man', so to speak
the downside to a reverse shell is that it must be setup ahead of when you need it

Yeah im legit not baiting, I just started a networking course today. So I literally know nothing

Also my first time posting on Jow Forums

Lel this thread

Attached: 1525003861757-pol.png (300x289, 154K)

fuck off

We know what a reverse shell is. Everybody here knows how to use netcat after finding an exploit. We are just messing with OP. So stfu fagot.

Attached: lrg.jpg (500x661, 114K)

the correct term is lurk moar
lurk moar
if you wanna become an epic hacker install gentoo, you'll soon join the ranks of anonymous