Is Xfce dead, or will there ever be an Xfce5?

Is Xfce dead, or will there ever be an Xfce5?

Attached: whisker.png (350x350, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.xfce.org/
wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
blog.xfce.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=dyNVpWyVP-M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is Xfce dead
no
>or will there ever be an Xfce5?
no

If nothing changes, it’s dead.

I should've said "not yet." Xfce was the refugee of GNOME users who felt that GNOME 3 is shit, but now there's MATE, Cinnamon, Budgie and even KDE to fill the gap. There isn't much of a point in developing it anymore, so I expect it to die soon.

it's dead

>release useless updates that causes regression
>at least the project alive
They lack contributors and some part is stalled, but the project is still alive.
Bullshit as they could use mate or cinnamon. Even Linus used Xfce for awhile.

Dead.

It's dead if there are no users.

Dead software is unmaintained software. XP is dead even if there’s still hospitals in India running it.

senpaitachi

XP is actually "maintained" for paid support.

I really do love xfce, and I find it so very sad that it gets almost no updates.

They do seem to update some of their apps to GTK3 but it's all going way too slow. Without it dpi scaling doesn't really work.

I thought about developing for them but I couldn't really get into it, their developer site is a bit vague. Maybe I'll look into it another time.

>They do seem to update some of their apps to GTK3 but it's all going way too slow. Without it dpi scaling doesn't really work.
This. I don’t understand how some people act as if no development is a good thing. Xfce’s conservatism is why many people use it, but a conservative approach shouldn’’t mean total stagnation.

git.xfce.org/

Attached: 1517951670386.jpg (423x951, 61K)

They should fix this in default installs. Xfce has a default window compositor that still has tearing when enabled. Maybe they should take a look at how compton does it.

Yes, Mate is the new XFCE.

I'm kind of sad, because some of the xfce tools are really nice. But XFCE is slow to improve, and doesn't have the polish of competing DEs.

wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
blog.xfce.org/

Hmm upon further inspection the development progress of xfce doesn't seem too bad.

those frogs took 4 years for that. I use xfce and support them, but damn. I wish someone would finance them so they can work fulltime on it

I would rather use KDE3 or Plasma than Mate. Once i accidentally downloaded a mate distro and just watched wtf is wrong with xfce.

>updates every week or two
>dead
What?

>mate
It's like a shittier Xfce or only a slightly better GNOME. KDE is better than that.

XP is way more alive than a bunch of distros with active developers but no actual users.

If you check the git summaries they’re usually quite minor desu.

>MATE
unstable shit
>Cinnamon
ugly, unstable shit
>Budgie
even more unstable shit
>and even KDE
kek

>There isn't much of a point in developing it anymore
I agree with you there, because IT'S ALREADY FUCKING PERFECT.

let me guess. You're the same fag that makes daily KDE shilling threads, aren't you

sage btw

>I agree with you there, because IT'S ALREADY FUCKING PERFECT.
Absolute brainlet. See >let me guess. You're the same fag that makes daily KDE shilling threads, aren't you
No, while I admire KDE programs for how feature-packed they are, I avoid using them and find KDE to be really prone to breaking and overall clunkiness.

kys self
Xfcefags are pathetic

thank you for proving my point.

Sage

>thank you for proving my point.
What point? You say it’s already perfect, its pointed out it obviously isn’t and can be improved. What point was proven/

keep saging, debianxfce, it won't make your shitty DE any better

At least they exist.

Yes, it' really good, although some tools are bugged. For me, xfce4-screenshooter can't copy to the clipboard high resolution images. If I want to paste it somewhere, it just hangs the program for like 30 seconds, then does nothing.
Other than that, I'm completely fine with the experience

This.
I also noticed the default media player sucks ass. Trying to open a video on an external HDD just hangs parole player for 30 or so seconds, probably scanning media, and almost the entire system is unresponsive then. They should switch to mpv for video and audacious for music. A performance oriented distro/DE shouldn't have performance problems.

Aside from (easily fixable) tearing, what's there to improve in xfce? It's fast, customizable and more stable than most of the big DE's.

Xfce is the best DE.

What if it doesn't get updated? If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Isn't that simple?

xfce is like winamp.
It reached the final build, it's complete.

HiDPI adaptation

sure, that should work out of the box even though it is fixable with a hiDPI theme

user, i hope by that you mean 2.91c

last I looked it was an xml shitpile

Attached: 1524459880242.jpg (717x583, 208K)

Should at least update to json shitpile IMO

The two posts above you. As well as a Qt app compatibility improvement. I can't live without KDE Connect and it having no icons on gtk distros as well as not being restarted after waking from sleep is killing the UX for me.

hmm... begun, the winamp wars have.

Attached: yoda.jpg (600x317, 47K)

>having no icons on gtk distros as well as not being restarted after waking from sleep is killing the UX for me.
Not an Xfce4 issue persé but
GTK4
IMAGE PREVIEW
WHEN
Can’t believe most desktop Linux users still won’t have this in 2020.

>Not an Xfce4 issue
Yeah, it's a gtk issue. But GNOME devs will always be special snowflakes so it would be good if those who aren't complete retards (xfce and mate devs) made some improvements.
>IMAGE PREVIEW
>WHEN
I though this was being worked on? And as I remember someone mentioned it's a relatively easy fix but GNOME devs didn't want the feature for some reason.

this

XP is hardly a dead OS

Last I saw was that it got postponed even for GTK4.

lxqt is similar to xfce but is being more actively developed

use pantheon its nice
also kde is alright

kde is absolute shit lmao

>GNOME devs didn't want the feature for some reason
It's "too slow."

why is it that loonix fags always pick the worst fucking logos for their shit

Au contraire, its lack of ever changing is what gives it life.

>Is Xfce dead, or will there ever be an Xfce5?

No. Hopefully no.

Remember how Gnome 2 was great? Remember how Gnome 3 was a total fucking disaster?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

>GNOME 2 was great
Yet Xfce was better. GNOME was never good, not even v2.

You think you want nu-Xfce, but you don't. Sure, HiDPI is a big thing but not worth all the shit that Gtk3 brings with it. Besides, Gtk3 is already feature freezed so good luck improving it.

File picker is the only reason i use kubuntu over xubuntu.

>or will there ever be an Xfce5
I like my current GTK2 theme, thank you.

Looks like Xfce became bloated too OP : youtube.com/watch?v=dyNVpWyVP-M

Attached: c9595d42765ef73f8f81bf23ce85e7018384d7fa.png (548x587, 229K)

jfc op how much koolaid do you need to drink to think that stability is a bad thing

LXDE is absolute shit and should not be used.

The compositor works on Intel graphics in my experience. I'm on OpenBSD but I still use X. I think the tearing is moreso a problem with whatever your graphics works off

>think the tearing is moreso a problem with whatever your graphics works off
I mean at its core it’s an X problem, but it’s definitely an Xfce problem in practical terms.
>The compositor works on Intel graphics in my experience
Did you set "TearFree" in your X settings?

But when mate becomes stable then what's gonna be the point of xfce? Honestly it's moving so slow in it's development, it's finally reaching GTK3 and GTK4 is almost ready for production.

For me Cinnamon has never been unstable and I theme it to my liking. Not as easily to customize as xfce.

>persé