Snake

Should I learn Python as my first programming language?

Attached: pp,550x550.u3.jpg (550x315, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

humblebundle.com/software/python-dev-kit-bundle?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1
edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-11
hplgit.github.io/primer.html/doc/pub/half/book.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It doesn't matter. You'll learn another one sooner or later anyway.
/thread

no. Learn C and C++
then Python and other higher level languages will be easy

no. program everything in pseudocode and execute it mentally. put all output on paper. I'm serious.

Implying C isn't a high level language

Yeah that's what I'm worried about

yes, its good for understanding basic algorithm and design, which is the first thing you should learn as a programmer.
dont spend too much time on it tho, move on to C/C++ to understand how things really work

thanks!

I'll do my best master

seconding this. Python will teach you the basics of programming in a user friendly way.

>variables, functions, classes, for/while loops, etc

I learned Python pretty thoroughly and started dabbling in C, and a lot of it makes a lot of sense. I don't feel overwhelmed at all. If I had jumped straight into the deep end with C and had to deal with manual memory management when I didn't even what a function was, I surely would have drowned

Thank you (:

If you're considering Python and are an absolute beginner, I'd recommend going with Ruby instead. The language "gets out of your way" to a greater extent and will allow you to become productive sooner, making the process more fun.
In any case, no matter what you choose, remember the golden rule: read. the. fucking. docs.

It really doesn't matter. Practice is more important.

snek*

Attached: thirsty snek.gif (270x188, 1.78M)

Yes.

what are the docs?

>Yes
Yes

Attached: B6EL2MpCIAA_65E.jpg (599x763, 46K)

>snake
not named after python, wrong.

Yes? It doesn't really matter, if you can learn with python more power to you

>2k18
>not learning FORTRAN

The documentation for whatever language/framework/library you intend to use. Reading these thoroughly is usually a better alternative to blindly fumbling around, but I've noticed a lot of noobs (including myself) can neglect this.
Not saying you need to read every piece of available documentation on language X before you start coding, you should use books and guides to help with that, but do refer to the docs when you're learning a discrete part of the arsenal e.g. arrays, lambdas, etc.

sure whatever who gives a shit it doesnt matter

Thanks, I have a book on C++ and I'm using codeacadamy to learn python

Attached: govnocode.webm (640x360, 2.35M)

whats that

May I save this humorous gift kind Sir?

>he doesn't even know one language

*gif

ye

I'd say that, more importantly, it lets you Do Shit fairly easily and early on. The link between 'bunch of ints and bools n shiet' and 'program what does things for me' is hard to grasp at first.

With Python, you can just import, say, the csv module or PIL and practice by writing stuff that is actually useful for you, which is pretty rewarding (even if the code is actually some horrid garbage).

Fuck off with this meme

what meme?

How is that python humble bundle looking boys? Is it worth getting? All the book titles sound like fucking memes or like they're marketing to spergs.

Link:
humblebundle.com/software/python-dev-kit-bundle?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_1

Attached: 1495145407206.jpg (205x206, 39K)

Anything higher than assembly is pleb tier. Learn your 0's and 1's first lad.

Sure, why not. I learned in GML. It doesn't matter; you're just learning the basics of variables, functions, and control structures when starting out. Just be prepared to abandon it at some point in the future because Python is very clunky for large projects.

Polite bump for answer.

they look fine, start with the books at the cheapest price, then go to the more expensive books. that's roughly the order

Shitty method. Didn't worked for me.
I feel better when I poke stuff.

I say go for it. Doing something is the best thing you can do. It's easy to start.

I just started it as my first language. Work though the MITx course.

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-11

My blanket response for
C vs Python
C++ vs C#
C++ vs Java
C# vs Python
JS vs The World
etc, etc, etc..
is
Go where your energy and motivation take you. You will learn that language fastest. In your heart you know what you want to learn. It might be Pascal, and you might never get a job, but so what, you'll learn it faster than any other language because you'll be studying it and practicing every single day.

Attached: Big-Donut-Girl.jpg (1280x1329, 634K)

BWAHAHAHA! Now this is KEK. I remember f***g Assembly in college, i just hated that sh*t. like pulling teeth.

poor JS...

you won't appreciate how simple and easy to use it is if you don't begin by learning C

yes

Attached: snep.jpg (466x219, 9K)

hplgit.github.io/primer.html/doc/pub/half/book.pdf

Here's a book that will teach you everything you need to get started. Have fun.