/spg/ – Smartphone General - lg g7 ur welcum edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous:

Attached: lg-g7-thinq-official-ah-01.jpg (1240x716, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2G#Shutdown
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is there such thing as a stutter-free smartphone? Every time I buy a smartphone, I diligently read reviews, the reviews say "we couldn't make this lag/stutter if we tried, it's buttery smooth!" and then I buy the phone and it has super stuttery animations and scrolling.

It's tempting

Attached: FB_IMG_1525311135765.jpg (720x632, 56K)

iphone

>$7.99
>for an alarm clock

that only applies to android my dude

I don't use alarm clocks cause I'm not a degenerate.

Attached: snapshot_13.26_[2015.12.23_23.04.47].png (1920x1080, 3.69M)

this is sadly true, if you ever have the chance, download some drum machine app on an android and an iphone and compare the lag on the touchscreen, on android its fucking impossible to use. still, the price and lack of functionality and customization dont justify buying an iphone just for le smooth animation imo

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (616x421, 71K)

I do wonder how many people are bothered here by the fact that most phones nowadays come with an internal battery that can't be removed without tearing apart the whole thing.

When you can replace a battery you can extend the phone's life, but with a nonremovable you basically are screwed unless you know what you're doing.

Plus all that spying shit going on, who can turn on your phone despite you thinking it's off?

>notch
>bezel at the bottom

hahahahaha what the fuck

>no notch, headphone jack and removable battery are a con now
What went so wrong?

>6" display
>3000 mAh battery
Why is LG so fucking retarded?

Normies

I will never buy a phone without a headphone jack

Anyone have experience using a Chinese phone in the US? Does it work except for 4G?

What's the best power-efficient SOC that doesn't sacrifice performance?
Preferably a Snapdragon SOC, I'm looking for a new phone that doesn't guzzle battery like there's no tomorrow

Probably the 625

What's the appeal of the Notch?

It looks better when the phone is on because it lines up with the status bar icons

Didn't wanna make a thread asking but, you guys ever talk about apps here? I'm looking for a decent drawing app, preferably with layers. /i/ didn't have shit to tell me.

Attached: 1409226924116.jpg (1250x833, 334K)

625 or 450

Jow Forumsoys

Looking for the best possible camera at around 200USD

So far the Honor 7x, P10 Lite, and Moto G5 plus seem like good contenders in the range I would consider. Anything else to recommend in the that range-ish? My job pays for service with ATT so this has to be off contract and GSM for the US.

Would really like to get the Hydrogen One this summer, but I can't wait any longer. Have an S4 active now, so its either new phone or and hereo.

Attached: $T2eC16JHJGUFFhvgmpMVBRpYd0szi!~~60_35.jpg (300x225, 12K)

The latest 636 is the new 625.

>2018
>every method of transferring data to a android phone still make me want to kill myself
why is this allowed

Attached: asshole doge.webm (640x360, 3M)

I bought the Nexus 6 a year ago (3 year old phone by this point) for my gf new and under warranty for ~$220. It's still the same price now and it's pretty much the only 6 inch phone that will run 8.1 and will probably still get updates through lineage for at least 2 more years.
Seriously considering buying another as I'm afraid 6 inch phones that actually get updates aren't going to be a thing in the future.

tl;dr why should I not buy a 4 year old phablet at this time?

Attached: nexus_6_vs_nexus_5_comparison_front02_ANDROIDPIT-w628.jpg (628x353, 32K)

Realistically, when will 3G be shut off in North America? Could it happen in the near future?

Poor fag here. considering Huawei P8 or HTC Desire 626. What one? or any others?

how fast do older phone drop in price? do I have to wait until the phone is actually released or will companies sell old stock of phones faster sooner to make room for the new G7?

why havent you bought it yet?

/i/ is full of retarded 13 year old girls who don't know the difference between a pen and pencil. /ic/ is full of Assholes who regularly have threads about tablets, programs, and bang for a buck.
Tldr: go one board over to /ic/

Not sure if this is off topic or not in this thread
Any launchers that are worth it over Nova Prime? I have already bought it, so it'd need to be considerably better. More interested in better performance than more customization.

This sucks because its true. I love my Galaxy S8 but i do sometimes would like to use an iPhone for the iOS alone because android lags quite frequently. I keep finding myself staying for android because of how much I can customize it though

Nokia 6.1 or Mi a1? I can get the for the same price from carrier Nokia seems as the better phone but the low light camera is shit compared to the a1?

It lags because it's a Samsung, not because of Android

I've used a S8 and it's smooth.

>Could it happen in the near future?
Absolutely not

Pls I need a new phone today. I like the Nokia better but the low light camera is a shitshow, should I get the mi a1 for 150 EU?

Get the Nokia

It's not like you're gonna be taking pictures at night on a regular basis

online re-sellers will discount their stuff as soon as they get ahold of the new supply. so lurk ebay.

It's not, I used it in a shop.

Are you one of the people that can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

>a shop
And I've used one used by an actual person.

samjew begone

>Own phone for 2 days
>Already permanently fucked it up
And I was only trying to copy my music over.
end me

Attached: TheGloriousLossOfBayeux.png (900x675, 1.27M)

Both are shit, don't buy

Bullshit. iPhone starts lagging like shit after a few months just like every other phone.

This myth that iPhones are lagless needs to end.

Get the Nokia and install GCam

Does the gcam makes for better low light pics? And how do I installed that im a noon.

>Nokia
>Installing gcam
Lol no root

S9+ or wait till G7?
Coming from a G6 and never had a Samsung flagship before, can upgrade tomorrow

Never buy a samshit
t. Owner of S3 and S6

honestly
would you get an Iphone X if it was 800 bucks

Not even for 400$

Yeah, on most phones the Google Camera HDR+ port great improves the camera, not just low-light but regular photos too.

All you need to do is download and install one of the APKs here. You might need to tweak some settings to get the best results.
celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

Camera2api is enabled out of the box on Nokia phones so you just need to install the apk, dumb faggot

>dumb faggot
Still, no root no buy

I don't know if tablets are allowed but I just want to ask.
I am thinking of getting one of this since I'm a poorfag. Any advice?

Attached: 61hcCkhEc8L._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 107K)

The mi a1 has more ram more storage space and better loudspeaker, but the Nokia seems faster, is it worth going for the mi a1 just because of the ram and dual cameras?

just get a nexus 7 2nd gen like a normal human being

I have yet to encounter any stutter or lag with any ui elements on my s8 and I use it pretty heavily. I'm actually surprised by that since my previous experience with Samsung phones had been that they're totally fucking garbage, laggy, bullshit until you install the most lightweight ROM you can find and a kernel with performance options that obliterates battery life.

Anybody else in UK try to apply the official carrier 8.0 Oreo update released the other day to your Samsung S7 only to have it brick your phone and delete all your data? I am fucking mad

>Any advice?
Yeah. Don't.

Because treble? Seriously. The idea is that with treble, the whole no updates meme is going to die since you won't have to wait for OEMs to add their shit to new Android releases because all the 8.1 OEM crap will still work just fine in 9 and onward, so that when new Android version are released they're pushed direct to the phone from alphabet and then the OEMs just push individual app updates from there so every phone will get the newest updates until it just can't run it anymore.

Why?

Pretty much never? 2G is still working just fine. I don't think they'll ever "shut off" either of them so long as there's still devices being made that work on 3G since it uses 2G as a fallback the same way LTE devices use 3G. Maybe once 5G is the norm, then we'll start to see 3G dumbphones die out completely and they'll finally shut off 2G, but so long as LTE devices exist, they need 3G as a fallback. If 5G kills 2G, then it'll likely be 6G that kills off 3G.

Or all the old people that demand dumbphones die off so that the only "old people" left are ones that grew up with smartphones or used them in their adulthood so dumbphones are completely killed off.

What are your opinions on Samsung mid range phones?

Is the A5 2017 a good phone? How is the performance and support?

Attached: 1556679-n0.jpg (228x461, 14K)

>>Seriously considering buying another as I'm afraid 6 inch phones that actually get updates aren't going to be a thing in the future.
what? You mean at that price right? Because the S9+, the P20 pro, the Nokia 7+, the Oneplus 6 and the Pixel 2XL are all 6" or bigger and they'll probably have 2 or more years of update.

Was buying tablet about a year ago. Anything Android really is laggy or has shit speakers / display. In the end opted for iPad Pro. Best purchase I made.

If you're going to buy new, at that price, you can't really find better. It's decent at best but it does what you need it to do.
Also, it's not stock android and you can't access the play store, you can still download apps from amazon store, but some might be missing.
And don't buy the cheapest version with ads, iirc it's only 10$ to get rid of the ads.

2G networks are being shutdown worldwide
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2G#Shutdown

T-Mobile, Verizon and several others have already announced plans to shutdown their 3G networks

what is the difference between the ultra thin sillicon phone cases(0.8mm) and the cases with a hard back? do one of them offer more protection compared to the other or is it more based on a personal choice?
and what about comfort levels , i assume the ultra thin would be better? how thick and bulky are the one with a hard back?
im with redmi note 4 and im not sure what i should pick

aesthetics and practicality

practicality in what way? they are both covering only the back of the phone, does the one with a hard back offer more than the sillicon case?

What are your opinions on the Nokia 8? Is it a good option at its price (350 UK approx) or are their other phones out there that I'm missing? I don't really care for the camera features and I love that it still has an audio jack, and size does not bother me too much.

this, desu i recommend older iPad or ipad mini 4 than android tablet.

Basically, at that price if you want an SD835, it's either that, a XZ1c or a Mi6.
So if you don't want a 4.6" screen or a chink phone and you don't care about the cam or the root, I'd say go for it

There's also the PH-1

Just get a second hand iPad air, you should be fine with that.

>Have S7 Edge
>See official Oreo Update on XDA
>With TWRP
>Decide to try it out
>Verification Failed after installing TWRP

wat do

Holy shit this phone is good. 40min OST and still at 100% battery? Insane.

AND LOOK AT IT

Attached: huawei-p20-and-p20-pro-hands-on-47.jpg (1680x1260, 856K)

now drop it on concrete and see what happens

there any point or use of tempered glass?

i havent been here in a while, is this a new meme?

And why would I do that?

I will never understand these faggots who watch videos of a guy hitting an electronic device with a hammer and rule it out. Why the FUCK would you ever bend your phone with that much pressure?

So Mi A1 or nokia 6.1?

I have a degoogled and debloated lg g3 running lineage os and it hasn't lagged for me once

I got a China phone and think no 3g band is supported on my current carrier, I can make do for now but I want to test I can make calls on 4g.

If I leave a message on an answer phone does the quality that I hear sound the same as what the quality would be like in a regular phone convo

I am going to try default, then turn on the volte and see how it changes.

There are a lot of things that bother me with the last gen of phones
>le notch
>le round corners
>le premium glass that cracks
>le no headphone jack
>le no expandable storage
>le burn in amoled
>le planned obsolesence locked battery
>le finger print scanner so ur fingerprints sit in a database somewhere
The last good phones were lg v20 and moto g5
I love swaping batteries mid day instead looking for where to charge or
>le power bank
Fuck normies, they ruin everything with their sheep like mind sets
>oo le applel made notch now i wont buy phones with no cause theire not 'innovative'

Attached: maxresdefault_3.jpg (1920x1080, 116K)

I'm in the market for a new phone - had Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro for the last 2 years and I want something new. Is xiaomi still the kind of $200-$250 range? I noticed that they have an upgraded version of Note 5 coming out right now and just wondering if there's anything comparable out currently.

I have to Buy a phone today.

What about the speaker? I've read some reviews claiming it to be shitty

Its average, it wont blow you away but it does the job, ive never personally cared about the speaker on a phone as long as it doesnt sound tinny, which it doesn't

Probable screeching noise or locked bootloader? Your choice

Why's notch considered a problem? They have to fit the speaker, proximity sensors and front-facing cameras somewhere. Without notch you'd just have a bezel on top. Notch provides more screen space. Genuinely curious why all the negativity towards it.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have the Huawei mediapad M5 10 inch tablet or can recommend a similar one?

I'm in desperate need of a 10-12 inch device

A similar one at that price? You can have the Galaxy S3 tab but I think that's it.
If you want cheaper, the Fire HD 10 is okay, and if you have enough budget and don't care about iOS take an iPad pro.
But yeah, the tablet market is dying

Why do you need more screen space on a phone? It looks ridiculous and very uncomfy

Maybe name some phones actually worth buying and people will actually reply to you.

How is HTC v Sony? looking a flagships for 2018 i'm done looking for OLED

My budget is 150 EU in my country those 2 are the cheapest phones that are not shit.