I have an Asus F50N laptop that only supports up to 2GB memory. Is there a way I can make it accept over 2GB of memory...

I have an Asus F50N laptop that only supports up to 2GB memory. Is there a way I can make it accept over 2GB of memory? The OS requires at least 4GB, otherwise it will run slow. I have used multiple OS's, from linux to windows, but all work slow on this laptop. It has an SSD, so that is not the problem.

Attached: laptop.jpg (500x500, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/supportonly/X50N/HelpDesk_BIOS/
asus.com/support/FAQ/1008859/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stop being this poor

Yeah you can do it through assigning 2gb virtual memory, plus the 2gb physical memory you got, bang, 4gb baby.

try lubuntu it runs perfect on my 2gb 16gb ssd

OK.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Will try it.

I like this champ. feels genuine. unlike other cucks here

>F50N
What are the specs of this shit? This is so obscure I can't find any definite info on it. All Asus F50 series I can find can take 4GB RAM

If you meant X50N, it should at least take 3GB with the most recent BIOS.

Why do you think it supports only 2gb, that's very unlikely.

2gb is really too low for windows. You can get away with 3Gb tho.

For 2Gb I would try custom windows 7 embedded install. I'm using such setup on headless server with only 1Gb ram and it's running great.

If that thing is indeed X50N, if he installs 4GB in it, it should at least be able to use 3.2GB with updated BIOS. Similiar to early C2D intel 945 chipset I guess

:)

I meant X50N. The specs:

CPU
AMD Turion 64 Mobile
MK-38
2200 MHz
socket S1

Memory installed 4GB, but only recognises 2GB. DDR2 PC2-6400.

SSD Samsung 250GB Evo

NVIDIA GeForce 7000M

How can I update the Bios on Linux?

No clue, maybe the BIOS itself has a built-in update feature where you put the bios file on hard drive/pendrive. You need to check yourself.

But if you have the most recent BIOS version already (212) and it doesn't work, then there's something wrong with either bios settings/ram sticks/motherboard itself.

If it's single 4Gb sodimm maybe try with 2x2Gb.

Back in a day single/double sided memory also made difference.

yeah if it's a single stick then it probably won't work, it can recognize 2GB per slot it seems

BIOS version is 211 on the laptop. I'll see how to update it, perhaps that fixes the issue.

It's 2*2GB matched pairs sodimm.

asus.com/supportonly/X50N/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Is this it? How to install on Linux?

I have asus k53sm that has two ram slots and has one 4gb 1333mhz cl11 1,5V card on it. Can I buy 1600mhz ram or ram with CL9 or will it work incorrectly?

nevermind, found the answer here:

asus.com/support/FAQ/1008859/

Well, report back if there's any progress

>It's 2*2GB matched pairs sodimm.

Sorry man, I'm out of ideas.

Never had problems upgrading ram to at least 4gb on Vista era laptops.

Updated, still stuck at 2GB and not 4GB. I'll try another configuration, perhaps that will work, namely 2GB+1GB, total 3GB (I have a spare 1GB stick lying around). If that doesn't work, then I'm without clues.

I know, the laptop came with Vista and it was running slow even then. So I switched to Linux but it's just as slow. I can increase the swap (virtual memory), but that is not an optimal solution.

Try swapping the sticks around, with both 2x2 2+1 etc confugurations. Look around at what bios settings there are, it's really weird and should still work with 2x2. One of the sticks might be damaged, maybe there's poor contanct on pins for some reason.
It should just work with at least detecting 3GB

>One of the sticks might be damaged, maybe there's poor contanct on pins for some reason.
This is my suspicion. I'll clean the contacts with alcohol and do what you suggested regarding trying other configurations. I bought the laptop for 10 bucks (without SSD), so I'm trying to give it a new life.

Shoot, I don't have any alcohol.

Also have very old one from Vista era. Core2duo ulv 1ghz, upgraded it to 4gb ram and it's still perfectly usable with win7x64.

Even youtube HD works after few tweaks in chrome (enabling hardware acceleration and h264ify plugin) and with less than 50% cpu load.

Battery life is shit tho.

Attached: oPoAzi4.jpg (1703x560, 299K)

Don't do this. Ubuntu is shit and LXDE is disgusting. Use a better distro with a window manager, like i3.

What distro would you recommend?

Parabola or Arch for something easy to use and simple. Gentoo if you want to perfect your experience.