Self taught programmer

Can you get a job in Europe as a self taught programmer? Especially not front-end

I'm a NEET and I've been programming on and off for about 4 years now, but the only project I can show off is a Discord bot with an automatic betting system that works with an SQL database and scrapping data off the internet.

I try to improve my programming by studying algorithms and general programming things, as well and doing programming exercises, especially lately now that I'm considering trying my luck getting a job on this.

I've heard entry level positions are piss easy and it seems to me I could do the job, the biggest problem being getting my foot in the door in the first place. My plan is to look for an internship first and work for free or for pennies for a couple of months, and then try for a junior position. I can't afford certs or any formalizing studies.

Any anons with similar experiences or aspirations? Any tips? What are entry level positions like? Would including on my Github the various programming exercises I do a good idea?

Attached: 1511897430501.png (1200x627, 402K)

>Would including on my Github the various programming exercises I do a good idea?
Definetly

its called starting your own business
>but i dunno what to do
make video games then

Dude just apply everywhere. It is that simple. If you still continue read this thread after you see this OP. Then you are the problem.

You sound like you have no profession in computers and you learn shit and programming language just to learn them. You gotta ask yourself what you want to do? make games/security/AI/statistics etc.
Nobody is good at everything,they choose a profession and go along with it. There are ton of websites that you can sign up, write shit on your bio and ask to get hired for small tasks, what people want you to have is a portfolio and say you done shit rather than being a complete risk for their job cuz you might not be able to do anything for them. build some projects yourself first then ask to gethired somewhere

No you wont go there and tell them your github exercises. the market is huge they dont need someone that doesnt know shit, youre always replaceable by someone else.

I think OP toke my advice and went applying for jobs. Godspeed user!!!!! Good for you!

I'm still around looking for more opinions but I've taken your advice, after all, 'For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.'

The worst that can happen is not finding anything

>Can you get a job in Europe as a self taught programmer? Especially not front-end
Yes
>I'm a NEET and I've been programming on and off for about 4 years now, but the only project I can show off is a Discord bot with an automatic betting system that works with an SQL database and scrapping data off the internet.
Having any GitHub project is already more than most have to offer.
>I try to improve my programming by studying algorithms and general programming things, as well and doing programming exercises, especially lately now that I'm considering trying my luck getting a job on this.
>I've heard entry level positions are piss easy and it seems to me I could do the job, the biggest problem being getting my foot in the door in the first place. My plan is to look for an internship first and work for free or for pennies for a couple of months, and then try for a junior position. I can't afford certs or any formalizing studies.
You're probably overqualified for an intern, you can start with junior positions. Just apply everywhere - you'll be fine
>Any anons with similar experiences or aspirations? Any tips?
Just apply everywhere. Coursera/edx certificates are relatively cheap and are better than nothing.
>What are entry level positions like?
Easier than you think

High school dropout, had been NEET for ~10 years, got convinced to work at 26, making money and enjoying the work.

Anyone can do it!

Any tips user?

i'm responsible for tech interviews in my company. personally i don't give a shit what diploma you have or don't have and what certs you may present. i only care that you answer my questions correctly and do my exercises well.

Tbh if you made a bot you're already on the right track. Keep on looking for jobs and keep on practicing your craft, user.

Can take u as an intern if u drop contact address

[email protected]

Yes, git gud, that's pretty much it.

If you have actual good work to show for it counts more than a degree among many recruiters. You need basically the same as artfags a portfolio showing your work. If it's convincing you're good.

>be me learning IT degree called informatics instead of computer science.
>all they have teached me so far is introduction to Java and Python which was easy shit which barely touched any libraries
How fucked am I when I apply for a job with this degree? Certainly not as much as OP. Should've taken CS.

As fucked as everyone else if you're not good.

I'm not good enough and have about as much as OP has to show for it so you're pretty right.
Problem being I do not know if I need to learn three languages or if I should focus on learning one in-dept, I have about two more years here to learn.

Literally, this. Any decend programmer can make a thousand bucks a month putting out shit-tier phonegames for normies on the app stores. Alternatively, you can make something more serious and earn a bit more but with a higher time investment.

Neither, what you need to do is learn how things actually work, once you've understood the real core concepts the rest comes naturally.

I can learn a new language in no time, the rest is learning the bullshit idioms and what not, but that happens easily and over time.

If you think this then you are definitely not a mobile developer

You likely would have been just as fucked, on top of having to memorize by rote the latest, hottest algorithm in the field at the time your professor was starting their PhD.

>Indie game dev documentary
>the author is getting sued by a business partner that quit him for another game
>has to program 247 every day to make it a succeess
>says he showers until all the warm water is out because this is his only salvation
Welcome to the Indie game developer scene, hope you have a nice time here.

YOu just started right? Informatics is CS, just a different name. You should've checked the course program. You should learn Algorithm design, bunch of languages of different types (i.e. prolog ) to get a mindset of whats out there, get a side dish of pure math and later on get courses for machine learning / computer vision / neural networks / graphics etc. Did a Master in Informatics and found it quite usefull.

This. Informatics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Devopment. It's all the same, just a different name. Go look at what they actually teach in these courses and you'll see that they are almost identical in course content apart from maybe 1 or 2 classes.
What matters is the networking and the portfolio you are building while in uni. Use the other students in your course for group projects outside of class so that someone better than you can do what you don't know how to do, and since it's a group project you can still put it as a part of your portfolio.
Use the people and resources around you, user. You'll get far if you do.

What are you doing now, user? I'm curious what kind of work you can do with informatics

udm?

You don't HR does. I work for major investment bank and someone without degree is not going to get past HR screening. Doesn't matter if good or bad.
Smaller companies and startups function differently obviously.

10 year self taught programmer here, my social skills are non-existent, people (my parents, employers) think i know nothing and do nothing all day when im actually programming. Nobody can tell if you can program unless you can convince them, chances are they know less than you do, so its even harder to explain. Its gay as fuck. For people like me whats waiting is a life like Terry Davis, they'll think you are just schizo or autistic.

Not the same user, but determination to learn is a biggun. Gotta sit down every day and learn. Make one or two things a week, no matter what. Your work will constantly be improving and the portfolio and random github projects will give you a lot of rep.

Do you get some money though?
I mean not that it's important but maybe your parents might kick you out someday.

Have you actually built something of any use?

If not, then you really do not know anything of any use now, do you?

If yes, well there's your evidence, right there. If that's not good enough, don't bother trying to convince 'em, it's just a smokescreen (probably code for 'MOVE THE FUCK OUT ALREADY').

stop trying to make big games and make small shitty derivative ones instead

have you spent those 10 years just writing fizz buzz programs and shitposted on Jow Forums or have you actually written anything of worth? because if you have something interesting to show for those 10 years of programming you could definitely get a job
Terry Davis is very competent and could easily get a job based on the things he's created if he wasn't quite literally insane, what's you're excuse? too intelligent to create programs that aren't menial garbage?

>fully coded and released commercials games onto the market
>worked on full blown ecommerce site
>able to get into interviews, but always get the 'stronger applicant" rejection

Shit's hard, man. The last contract position I got, they didn't even care about my resume. They just brought me on and I worked for them. It' funny that the trick to find a job now is to get a connection, not to go through HR. Still unemployed, but I just came to this realization.

I got my job from getting involved in new tech early on (blockchain tech to be more specific). I'm largely self taught, although I had about 15 years of independent programming behind me + math studies in university. The reason I got hired was because of the work I did though, not my credentials. This is one way in - to get involved in projects before they become big, and thereby get a head start. You will see a kind of wild-west environment when the project gains momentum, and simply having been working on it for some time can be enough to get hired - especially when there is the potential for people to make money.

The problem is you could be engaging in multiple projects that turn to garbage before you start making any bank. I think I was involved (and worked super hard) in 5-6 other projects, over 10 or so years, before the last one which lead to employment.

I could add that I worked other jobs during my 10 years of failure, and did the programming stuff on the side. That is probably the way to go, because if you fail you still have something else to fall back on. At least if you go the unsafe way, like I did.

I've made mostly games, rom hacks, and programs related to my autistic activites (Jow Forums, anime shit). I released a few things for smartphoens which all failed. I can't say im the best programmer but ive made things like an interpreter and 3d engine. its all unoptimized and not for real use though. I dont know what else i can make that is "useful".

do you think i can just walk into the nearest IBM, or Nokia buiding and get ajob? i dunno man , just does not seem like they would hire cause all my projects are too austitic, might even confuse them. they are normies afterall.

Attached: a.png (187x186, 47K)