Hi

hi
post your distro, distro version if it exists, de and/or wm selection and explain why do you use it
discuss, suggest and rate others, don't just tell people "you suck lol" - use arguments

Attached: pizza.png (1152x648, 163K)

mine is debian testing with xfce plus i3
debian testing because i like how the packages are distributed, they are up to date but not so crazily unstable like in debian unstable and arch
xfce because it's very minimal and whisker menu is goat
i3wm because i like the key bindings and tiling very much, the customisation i3 offers is great, also gaps for aesthetics. too lazy to switch to dwm desu

arch with i3. i use arch because i'm new to using linux and wanted something i could fuck around in, while still having access to a large amount of resources for help. i use i3 because i like the keybinds and a tiling wm works well with my 1366x768 resolution.

same about 3 months ago, got bored of endless configs and wanted something more easy but still as configurable, got debian

macOS 10.13.4, Aqua/Quartz. Best OS

NixOS 18.09
xmonad
Because i'm not a NEET and can't waste a day configuring my development environment.

why is it the best os?

fair enough. do you use it for work or is your work not tech-related? if it is, which programs do you use for working?

AntergOS, because I just left windows, and it's easy to find any software.

I use it for work and at home. In work i started using it out of habit (already had NixOS at home and didn't want to waste time configuring), but nix-shell and nix profiles are fucking lifesavers and i quickly learned how to utilize it. No more docker and all that shit, it's pretty amazing.
I work mostly with Haskell (stack), but also some Coq, OCaml (jbuilder), C (gnumake), C++ (gnumake) and Java/Scala (maven). I use emacs for development. For emacs i have system-wide config in ~/.emacs.d/init.org and everything else is per-project as nix-shell or nix profile. Emacs plugins still don't play nice with nixos (flycheck and some others that assume stuff) so for C/C++ and Java i run it from nix-shell. For Haskell it works out-of-the box with intero.

thanks for an elaborate answer, appreciated
i'll certainly try nixos in a vm when i'll get home

ubuntu, for example, has ppas which means almost all of the needed software and debian has the biggest repository
why antergos then?

elementaryOS loki
justwerkz™ assuming you ignore all the bugs

Gentoo, because it perform better and is more customizeable and minimal than ubuntu, and I was using ubuntu, so might as well switch.

Xmonad because before switching to linux I saw cool video with xmonad in it and I wanted that. Now because I have my config in xmonad and I am not in mood to learn C for dwm right now; xmonad contrib is also nice and not sure dwm offers everything it offers. I like that xmonad has no bar by default though, because I do not use the bar.

Attached: 93aee5c50f43e5f8213e27bb7dfdc472538df4ff.gif (700x714, 1.65M)

macOS
El capitan
Aqua+Quartz

I use aqua because it's the default and all the apps require it.

Microsoft Windows
7 Home Premium SP1
Windows desktop
User32

Because I like things that work.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, 4.16.5-1-default, KDE.
Just works and not shits itself.
And I am thinking of assembling my own Linux+GNU distribution from scratch.

distro as in linux distro
windows and macos is linux? since when?

This logOS? Best?
Fucking keks, even Windows 95 was more secure.

why is distro a linux distro? MacOS is a BSD distribution.

macOS 10.13 High Sierra.
Just werks, anime.
I rate debian

>use arguments
¿qué?

Arch with KDE Plasma 5 on my desktop. I use it because it's great for customizing and offers a wide variety of packages through repos and AUR. And I really like pacman. I use KDE Plasma because it provides a lot of the things I need for my desktop in an easy to setup way and I can customize it to fit my specific needs and how I like to use it.

On my ("work") laptop I use openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE Plasma 5. I chose it for the easy setup of btrfs with snapshots and full disk encryption.

>distro
Void Linux MUSL.
I use it because:
>No systemD
>No pulseaudio
>Minimal dependencies 99% of the time
>LibreSSL
>runit
>xbps is great
I MUSL in particular because I hate everything GNU

>WM
bspwm
I use it because:
>sxhkd is awesome
>No bloat (panels, menus, tabs, whatever)
>Very fast and easy to use

you suck lol

Currently on arch with i3gaps. After a year though, I'm getting bored of arch and really considering switching to gentoo as soon as my finals are over.
I also have some friends that have been shilling bspwm to me, so I guess I'll give that a try. Can anyone explain the main differences between the two WMs? I watched some videos and read some comparisons, but it seems like *functionally* they are very similar.

what the fuck i just read the github page and it sound ridiculous man, 3 programs communicating with each other just to do 1 fucking shit
god dammit

cock
cock
cock

>what the fuck i just read the github page and it sound ridiculous man, 3 programs communicating with each other just to do 1 fucking shit
You are wrong.

BSPMW manager Windows.
SXHKD controlls everything keyboard-related. Your launchers, your media shortcuts and controls for your WM.

That is the only reasonable model. Bspwm exposes interface to control it and you do that through the keyboard daemon.

It's better than some inferior shit embedded into every other WM.

>openSUSE Tumbleweed
how long have you been using it?
how frequently it breaks?

not him, but for me it broke in less than a week. I liked it a lot but that shit kicked me off

i thought about using xmonad a week ago, but i didnt since i have no clue on how to program on haskell, although i know java and some c. Is haskell prophiciency required for basic configurations or not?

CloverOS
FVWM

Fast, minimal and stable.

Attached: IMG_20180430_234414.jpg (3264x1836, 970K)

Additional bonus is that you can use _ANY_ language to extend the functionality of bspwm. Lua, C, Java, python, (((lisp))), C# and so on.

You are limited only by your imagination.

Mint with cinnamon
Its easy to use and suits my developer needs.

Android
Touchwiz
You know why I use it

opensuse tumbleweed kde
thinking about switching to debian sid + i3

Debian stable
i3

Stability and ease of use.

You suck lol

Yes and no. If you're ok with copy-pasting someone's config from github, then you don't need to know any haskell - XMonad is declarative so it's really easy to tweak it even if you don't know haskell.

ubuntu 14.04 with unity. some crashs every now and then, i really want to try something diferent but first need to buy a external HD to backup my shit.

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Gentoo.
Fluxbox.
Debian kept shitting itself with incompatible package versions whenever I wanted two bits of software at the same time. I think it was libvorbis 1.0 and libvorbis 1.0a, mutually exclusive.
In the beginning I installed Fluxbox for muh lightweight. Now it's muh stay away when told, help out when told and don't be so complex about it.

Attached: DcHROOCV4AA6blv.jpg:orig.jpg (1600x1600, 245K)

Gentoo
i3
Tried it because of memes and stayed because it really wasn't a meme. I really enjoy using it but I also have manjaro installed in case I fuck up Gentoo. It's really great for learning how a gnu/linux system works

Fedora 28, because it just works and I have nothing to configure. And because I like how easy it is to make your own RPM compared to DEB.

KDE Plasma, with tiling script, because it's an amputated DE like GNOME3 and it is lightweight enough.

you suck lol

unironically linux from scratch as a daily driver

Fedora 28, xfce, I don't fucking know I was using windows before this

Archlinux
dwm

I've just been on Arch for a very long time (decade about, I think). I don't mind the rolling updates as my package base is small and manageable.

I'm not dogmatic though, as Archlinux's community grows larger, the number of out-of-date packages, and poorly spec'd PKGBUILDS fing their way into the AUR. I've been looking at other approaches like NixOS that I thought was very interesting. I was also extremely impressed with their package base and how well maintained it was. The community seems very focused on their technical work, rather than "culture" as well, which is refreshing. A long time ago I was running Gentoo, and though it's probably not popular to say here, doing industry work on Gentoo is often frustrating.

The reason I use DWM is because my take on "It Just Works" is different than most people. I can understand the appeal of opening a machine, not worrying about whats under the hood, and having it do what you ask of it. I think this is most people's definition. My take on it though is that "just works" means that said thing is extensible enough that you can utilize it in whatever way suits you best. It also means that the thing is functioning in a transparent and honest way. I don't want any rogue plugins, or a lenient browser rendering things I don't want. I don't like massive dependency chains that can have a break anywhere along the line. If you want to "just work" then get something that lets you just work. I wanted something that with a bit of learning would enable me to do more than "just work" I wanted something extensible that fit my very particular environment. I'll admit though that for most folks it's probably not a necessity.

Attached: 1525207584868.gif (300x300, 1.75M)

Manjaro because it seems to be extremely stable. I've ran into more random issues with updates on Ubuntu than I ever have on it. Plus AUR access.

I3 because it handles multiple monitors well, and I prefer tiling wms.

(partially) replaced gnome with kde on bionic after memory usage became intenable. gnome was using ~2gb on a clean boot, nothing running.
also, this is a shared computer, and kde is more welcoming to windows friends.
packages are bloat, probably a result of the de switch, but it runs very nicely, better than gnome did, particularly with bluetooth handling and hidpi scaling.
i feel that the titlebars are wasted space even compared to gnome, however.
memory usage is "better" but it tends to climb after being powered on for a while, which necessitates reboots and kind of obviated the whole point of being "memory efficient"
incidenatally, the ubuntu repos pull in outdated, deprecated shit like kwrite and konqueror, why?
what is preventing them from pointing the metapackage to kate or falkon?

Clover without a degenerate wallpaper isn't Clover.

>post your distro
Linux From Scratch
>distro version if it exists
>de and/or wm selection and explain why do you use it
blackbox, because every other one had one problem or another
>discuss, suggest and rate others
I used awesome wm but configuration is a tedious pain. I used joe's window manager for a bit. I liked it a lot. I only stopped using it because povray, when it brings up a window, and only when in JWM, totally crashes xorg to the console.

Attached: happy_animation_7206.gif (416x416, 14K)

>script
why not just i3 replacing kwin?

debian 9 with lxde because it's the fastest to get from netinstall. i set it up to focus and raise when the mouse enters a window. i have a few hotkeys configured but mostly just flail at my mouse to change windows and use alt+f2 to launch applications. it's pretty comfy and it runs fast on my old computers. being a poorfag isn't so bad these days thanks to linux. if you don't like using a full de than evilwm+dmenu+xbindkeys is really great. tiling window managers kill productivity, they are a total meme invented by ricers who think girls are going to talk to them if their thinkpad looks cool enough, lol.

To be honest because I don't know how to use i3 with Plasma.

I'm using Debian Sid with MATE. I wish I installed stable though I don't have too many problems (but I did just spend all day fixing a problem with MATE) but this is just my everyday laptop and I thought unstable would be best at the time.
I got used to Mint, didn't want anything to do with Ubuntu anymore but wanted to stick with debian based distros so here I am. MATE is the perfect mix of lightness and comfy