Windows 10 update removed the goddamn homegroup

So those inept pajeets removed my sweet homegroup sharing I had in the home.

I had a dedicated Server/NAS/Gaming PC, which served the two laptops me and the fiance use, as well as the media Lenovo M73 that I used for streaming Kody from the Server to my man cave, and also to my fiance's gaming pc.

Everything was working so goddamn sweet wirelessly interconnected and secure, and now those inept brown niggers took away the one "feature" I actually got working great and was very happy with.

Why dammit.

>In b4 Install gentoo. I'm not a loonatic.

Any alternatives that run on wireless LAN as opposed to teh cloud.

I have painfully slow internet, but decent wireless connectivity to all PC's.

Attached: invisiblehomegroups.jpg (696x391, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

samba.org/samba/docs/myths_about_samba.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install macos

Install a proper OS.
Street shitters are pure cancer and should all be exterminated.

>proprietary os

Attached: 1524843797193.png (1440x810, 588K)

it's time to stop being a pussy and share files and resources manually

>windows 10 user
>not some kind of tech illiterate consumerist whore

based

People actually used HomeGroup? Lmfao

> Any printers, files, and folders that you shared using HomeGroup will continue to be shared.
whats your problem

This

granted most people who make money use Server 2012. but I digress. win10 has plenty of options for the power user and a full Ubuntu kernel on the side for the Luddites

This. What the fuck did homegroup even do?

The options it gives and the bastardized Linux environment is useless when considering the constant updates that change user's configurations and given the horrid state of Windows updates that are prone to long down times and usual system breaks.

I've seen this image three fucking times today.
Go outside.

It was some kind of GUI for network sharing where you would run up and down stairs remembering a password and then point and click what you want to share among a set of pre-defined options.
It was like the sharing and security tab only less options (and less clicks if you use the default options)

People actually used homegroup?

Workgroups worked just fine for like forever

Attached: 1525295313777.png (558x474, 155K)

>I had a dedicated Server/NAS/Gaming PC
Use Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Good. I never use it

>wirelessly interconnected
>and secure,
user..

but you still have your local network working right?

I always just used SMB
Or Samba, same shit technically

HomeGroup could work with Libraries and didn't require you to give away your own password or set up more than one account on each computer.
But Libraries have been more or less killed off in 10, and Microsoft is pushing OneDrive in place of things like HomeGroup or File History.

Install FreeNAS.

Active fucking Directory

My deamon tools doesn't work anymore after the update -.-

Dude, Samba is what you are looking for.

>Install FreeNAS.
Free NAS is too overkill for home sharing. Any pc with a simple P4, 512MB of ram and a spare SATA HD can host Samba sharing service.

Attached: 85766c2dbca1ec3c2b57b694934fe2a5f15f0d91.png (360x500, 191K)

>SMB
SMB was the old sharing protocol that MS used since, well, always i guest. But MS kinda of replace it with CIFS (which is basically the same fucking thing).
Samba is the service name that implement those protocols and cuck Microsoft.

Who else here uses Linux for computer, Ipad for internet and shitposting, iphone for mobile and mechanical watch for wearable?
Is there any better setup for someone who cares about privacy, security, support and actually wanting everything to just werk. I think this is perfect combo and I don't know if it can be improved.

Attached: smart.jpg (4030x4096, 1.15M)

>Is there any better setup for someone who cares about privacy, security, support and actually wanting everything to just werk.
Of course there is you fucking moron. Use linux for internet and shiposting too and throw your retarded gadgets into the trash.

OK you could do that to ipad but it's just too comfy and it's $currentyear. However are you telling me you do not have smartphone?

>it's just too comfy
Okay so you either want comfy and convenient or you care about privacy and security. Make up your mind.

You literally accept that this shit can happen when accepting the EULA.
Either switch to another OS or stop complaining.

>privacy and security
>using apple

Refresh your facts senpai, it's the other way around.
Also, CIFS and SMB are nothing alike.

Hum, to be honest, i never cared too much about the legal bullshit.
>samba.org/samba/docs/myths_about_samba.html
>The term "CIFS" or "Common Internet File System" was coined by Microsoft in 1996 as a marketing exercise in an attempt to combat a perceived threat from Sun Microsystems after their WebNFS announcement. The term caught on, and now the SMB protocol is often called CIFS. The two names refer to the same protocol, as is easily demonstrated by connecting a current Microsoft "CIFS" client to a Samba "SMB" server from 1992.

I'm talking from a more MS perspective.
CIFS or SMB v1 is the thing that most people talk about and bash (rightfully so, SMB v1 is terribly awful).
However, SMB as a protocol is very different 2 versions later. Comparing SMB and CIFS isn't nice because they really operate differently nowadays. Simple history: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#History
The stuff in SMB v3 is amazing. I'm glad the Samba team is trying to keep up with the those features for Linux; although I'm a bit miffed about having to use "mount.cifs" to mount an SMB v3 share.

>homegroup
Sorry for you loss, never used it, never though it was useful, it's presence annoyed me even, didn't know it was used by someone.

Use Plex

NAS4Free doe

>Why dammit.
Because it wasn't used
You don't need homegroup to share shit