We've written a shitty twm and a crippled terminal emulator

>we've written a shitty twm and a crippled terminal emulator
>now let us tell you what is harmful and what isn't

Attached: 1280px-Suckless_logo.svg.png (1280x835, 6K)

Attached: 1517557446859.png (820x1172, 14K)

No he wasn't.

>instead of rebuting his claims ill just say 'no'
>that will teach them

don't forget dmenu, the bloated and complicated mess of a program launcher that isn't simple at all but has a shitty overly simple appearance. ricers are cancer, and suckless is the church of ricing.

if suckless lowers their barrier to entry, idiots like you would actually be able to use it lol.

Attached: 2018-05-03-125145_3840x1080_scrot.png (3840x1080, 1.79M)

>barrier to entry
>edit config.h
>type make
wow r u a hacker?

>having to fucking edit a header file and recompile the whole program for mere configuration

dmenu is not a program launcher. It’s a list picker widget. It just works fine for launching programs if you feed it every executable in your PATH, but that’s not it’s purpose (that’s what dmenu_run does).

>mad babby can't figure out one of the easiest pieces of software to configure and forget about.

dwm, st and dmenu are fucked goat.
fire and forget

>write a utility that fulfills multiple roles
>"let me tell you about the unix philosophy and why systemd is dangerous"
fucking lol, suckless is a total joke

Where do they tell you things are harmful?

>being so illiterate that you fail to see the near-equivalence between these approaches

>st
>"lmao scrollback is bloat"

>suckless
speaking of, what happened with sta.li?

>near-equivalence
>one needs recompiling and can't by definition change settings at runtime, the other doesn't.

you forgot
>now it’s not tracked by my package manager
>exploit is found (because automated tests are bloatware)
>no way of knowing unless you subscribe to their email list and/or religiously check their git repositories
>miss the update

and also:
>decide I want to uninstall st
>have to find the source so I can run “make uninstall”
>there’s no standard location for source files in Linux and POSIX so it’s somewhere in my HOME.

Just patch it in you retard, it's like 2 git commands

It does exactly one thing. It lets you pick from a list of options taken from stdin seperated by newline characters and passes the chosen option into stdout.

We don't talk about that

No problem if you use Gentoo. 'emerge st' to reconfigure it, that's all.

>needing manual patches for basic functionality
What is this, Windows?

>It does exactly one thing.
>It lets you pick from a list of options taken from stdin seperated by newline characters
>AND
>passes the chosen option into stdout.

>AND
BLOAT.

>I want simple software!
>here you go friend, if you need anything just patch it in from our repository of patches
>woah woah what the fuck PATCHING haha lmao what is it the early 2000
>so you want features huh, have this piece of software instead, no work required, everything works out of the box
>BLOATTTTTTTT

No satisfying you ever. Go back to ricing and your anime wallpapers then.

Attached: 1c8.jpg (640x645, 57K)

it's suppose to be funny teenbro, don't get so mad

I guess any program that takes input producing output is bloat now.

nope, just a regular guy. you'd be surprised how hard editing a config and running make is for some people (like those on this board)

tmux or screen?

but it is? asp.

I know this is Jow Forums but come on guys at least try to research for a second if what you're saying is true or not (and/or retarded)

Who are you quoting?

You and your fellow retards making these threads. Who else?

instead of calling me retarded try refuting my points

>dwm
>twm
>_>

Yeah but then you have to use Gentoo.

so... what point? teehee

Attached: hehhh.jpg (215x124, 3K)

Your autism, I suppose, since no one claimed that.

This is like the perfect use case for scripting languages and they had to do it in C.

>what does twm stand for

>idk what less is or does

teenie weenie man. he sits on your shoulder while you code. all good coders have them

yeah breh, asp. I told you once now I done told you twice. If it's not asp, it's the asp equivalent.

Everything that isn't C is bloat, user.

That would work directly against their main goal of code brevity.

>>have to find the source so I can run “make uninstall”
>not having a dedicated directory
im sorry you're a retard

He was right when he killed himself.
But remember, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

>using another program to compensate for your crippled emulator

How the fuck is C code shorter or simpler?

name me one other programming language with a name shorter than "C"

checkmate atheists

>t.

Attached: 1517035613609s.jpg (113x125, 2K)

>bloating your simple emulator to compensate for not using another program

lmao

C doesn't need an interpreter.

Figures. It retroactively removed from 'News' as well.

But really, what happened?

No just a massive CPU intensive compiler.

Any Suckless software should compile on tcc, which as it's name suggests is tiny. There's probably other C compilers that aren't massive like GCC. Never looked too much into it.
Also unlike interpreted code, you do not need the compiler to run the program.

Xmonad > dwm

i3 > any other tiling wm

your wm ≈ some other wm

the interpreter only runs for less than a second though. it literally just needs to load the config variables, pass them to the program, and then exit. even if you're running an entire wm in a scripting language it's sitting idle waiting for input 99.9% of the time. i use C for literally everything, but performance is not even an issue for the huge majority of userland software. the only good argument for everything in C is memory consumption, and suckless isn't even leading in that arena.

The main point is code brevity, followed by performance. If you add an interpreter or a parser in there it adds huge complexity to the code base.
If you write the whole wm in an interpreted language you will always need an interpreter instead of just being able to run the binary by itself and the performance will be worse.

The only choice that isn't idiotic is to embed a Lua interpreter for the config. Still quite small, but you get run-time configuration without leaving C behind.

>saving a thumbnail
>posting a thumbnail

st and dmenu are actually pretty good

>needing more than a thumbnail

Attached: 1517034887117s.jpg (113x125, 1K)

/thread

>now it’s not tracked by my package manager
What?
I modify one with xbps-src and install with xbps.
My PM knows all about it and all the files.

Use good PMs.

>decide I want to uninstall st
xbps remove st

>There's probably other C compilers that aren't massive like GCC.
And also produce slow code.

>code brevity
the only language worse than c here are java and object pascal.
>performance
like i said, most userland software sits idle 99% of the time. modern web browsers are garbage and so they actually benefit from being written in c/c++ but that's because they're so poorly engineered to begin with. everything else works fine with interpreted languages. c is a good choice for libraries like xml parsers or pdf interpreters but the actual browsers or viewers don't require c at all to be performant. i personally would still use c, but for very different reasons.

You don't need to write the interpreter yourself, and its effectively just a single dependency. As opposed to any serious C program which usually end up with a mess of different dependencies that cause all sorts of complexity.

And I'm thinking of a very lightweight interpreter like Lua. Which is super minimal and works very nicely with C code.

You get a lot of advantages like users being able to insert their own code. Without super user privileges or having to manually recompile the whole thing.

Dmenu is ugly.

I'm using rofi to launch my programs.

>ugly
It is a criterion?

It is for a machine with GUI.
It's not only ugly, but its list output is not very useful either.

I like suckless as much as the next guy, but you should be using tmux anyway.

Because you take time to look in the list to find your soft?

The FORTH guys in the audience are laughing at you.

>using tmux
Why?

>Because you take time to look in the list to find your soft?
Sometimes it's faster to select it from list/columns than typing the name.
Especially since rofi reorganizes the default view based on the frequency with which I open particular apps.

And yes, I like my soft to not look like shit.

>reorganizes the default view based on the frequency
That's the reason why you never know where your soft is.

>he doesn't have a ~/src directory

Tmux is bloat.

>That's the reason why you never know where your soft is.
Nope, that's the reason I select my most needed soft without entering a single letter on the keyboard.

Stop trying to defend inferior design.
It's harder to read it's harder to parse and overview the output and it looks terrible.

You're funny, because like any other rofi user, you're slower than me at spawning app.

>You're funny, because like any other rofi user, you're slower than me at spawning app.
Now that's just delusional.
Once again, to launch my most used software I just press the combination to launch rofi and press insert.
You have to type at least 2 more letters.

Simple as that.

Plus, rofi can look decent, dmenu can't.
And it can run .desktop entries (with all the implied configuration possibilities) by default.

If you have to use your eyes, you're slower than me.

>If you have to use your eyes,
I don't.
My top pick doesn't change.

>Plus, rofi can look decent, dmenu can't.
Looks fine to me.

Attached: screenshot.png (759x461, 282K)

So look isn't a criterion? I don't really follow.

Tmux is much less shitty than screen, and is basically required when you are working on a remote server. I know you've never had a real job though user, so I'll give you a break.

That isn't half bad actually.

Do you look at the keyboard when you type?
I'm looking at the monitor and enjoy not staring at shitty looking programs.

Is it that hard to comprehend?
Or is ability to make an app pleasant considered bloat now?

don't listen to them user.

dmenu is great and you are great.

how could something so purely useful in every day development ever be bloat? named window sessions, git branch display, works with powerline, zsh, sensible muxing hotkeys.

now you understand

>it's not a real job if it doesn't require using tmux

Attached: pizza.png (1152x648, 163K)

dvtm also exists, give it a try

Tmux is fine and I use it. But these morons advocate using this minimalist terminal emulator missing every basic feature like scrollback. Just to save a few lines of code and kilobytes of memory. And then they say to use tmux to get those basic features back... It defeats the whole point.

There's nothing tmux can do that my terminal emulator and WM shouldn't be able to do better.

I used xterm, it sucked. I usex uxrvt, it sucked. I used terminator, it crashed constantly and sucked. I use st + tmux w/ powerline. works perfect. I can scroll back weeeeeeeEEEEEEEE

Not all servers are the latest edition of Ubuntu conveniently located in another part of your building. Sometimes you can't install X on them, and sometimes still they are located behind very slow links

I use st because, actually, it was the only terminal emulator that correctly displayed Japanese characters. I tried endlessly to get Terminology or urxvt to get them to work, but st "just werked". I patched in scrollback, too.

i like urxvt because i can launch urxvtd and have one instance for all my terminals. might give st a try with a patch for Xresources though

shit was too much to handle and suckmost went back to tinkering with small trivial projects.

Nigga I use tmux too, but you clearly lack the required amount of brain cells to understand that just because someone doesn't need tmux doesn't mean it's not a "real job", as you implied. That was the point. Of course I don't expect a server to run X.

Never had a problem displaying Nipspeak on urxvt, do you have screenshots showing this issue?

If you're not a sysadmin you need to get off of Jow Forums.