At what point do you think a UPS makes a worthwhile investment? Just had a brief power outage here...

At what point do you think a UPS makes a worthwhile investment? Just had a brief power outage here, and it's making me worried that the sudden shutdowns could cause problems for my computer in the future.

What should I look for in a model? Aside from the obvious like enough voltage to support what's being plugged in.

Attached: cyberpower_brg1500avrlcd_1500va_avr_lcd_120v_1086055.jpg (1500x1500, 202K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1500avrlcd/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> tfw you realize ultrabooks are actually tiny desktops with UPS built in....

Attached: kimclap.gif (219x186, 1.76M)

>At what point do you think a UPS makes a worthwhile investment?
When you run a server or worry about losing work/gameplay/etc in progress due to a power outage. Otherwise if you just care about hardware protection just use a good surge suppressor with EMI and powerspike filters.
>What should I look for in a model?
AVR is nice if your utility voltage is unstable but not enough to cause a full blackout. It corrects high and low voltage without drawing battery power. Sinewave inverter is a meme and almost never worth it. I run my server on a stepped square wave UPS and it's never given me any problems.

thanks guy, that's pretty helpful

they're so cheap that they're worth it, even if they were 5 times the price they'd be worth it
they're also great for people who use a shitty file system
pic related

Attached: gruglet.jpg (211x239, 6K)

A UPS is also useful for protecting hardware
Hard shutdowns are no good

Hard shutdowns only break software. Contrary to popular belief a power cut doesn't harm hardware at all.

It prevents loss of progress and potentially loss of data. If your data is that important to you, makes sure you make copies and back it up.

You can get one for like 30 bucks if you're in the sane country. Always worth it.

Yeah sure let's hook up important hardware to a 30 bucks battery, sure seems like a great idea.

People like you, I'll never understand. You have precious equipment that needs an added layer of protection? Then you get that protection, skimping on it is like having no protection or even worse, jesus.

I bought one because my apartment at the time was experiencing brown outs and a surge protector won't do shit for those

When your power grid is developing nation - type crap and you loose whatever you've been doing for minutes or even hours frequently.

If you are in a normal developed nation and power gets turned off on schedule once every 20 years and fails unscheduled once for 20 seconds during the same 20 years, you probably don't need it at home.

considering they get thrown out for having dead batteries, and you can get replacement batteries for like $20, its always a good fucking investment you whore

Paying more for a 'brand name' doesn't mean your equipment is any better protected.

>30 bucks
Those aren't for desktops or even TVs/consoles.

Attached: IMG_20180503_1752120.jpg (2704x4056, 2.77M)

Wat bout EMP bursts? Is there UPS big enough to house my desktop inside as faraday cage?

Also, I covered my cock in alum foil. Will this protect my pee pee from EMP. Need to reproduce in post-nuclear apolocalypse.

> brown outs
UPS won't protect you.

You need to evict the poos in your apartment block from shitting in your building lifts.

>EMP bursts
At that point just sit back and let it burn.

Aside from the random brownouts, thunderstorms take out the electricity at least a dozen times every year. This is the model UPS I have.

You can cycle through on the LCD display

remaining battery percentage
estimated time until the battery is drained
input and output voltage
frequency in hertz of output
kilowatt meter
volt-amp output
load capacity as percentage

The battery is replaceable.

cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1500avrlcd/

>thunderstorms take out the electricity at least a dozen times every year
Sure is nice not living in the third world.

>thunderstorms
Get ready, this spring/summer is going to be rough.

God I hope so.

Attached: 20170911_08-51.jpg (1040x1494, 440K)

After experiencing a few surges one day I bought one. Now have my modem and Desktop running through it. Worth every penny. Got some APC model that has monitoring software so I can see stats on power consumption.