Monolithic core technology

>Monolithic core technology
>2/4/6 actual cores on the cheap
>Supported DDR2 and DDR3 boards even in 2010
>You could buy a new board for it until 2016 because AM3+ is the same thing
Was there ever a family of processors executed better then the way AMD went about this?

Attached: 1d229f9a061b58da6f33193f4dca9208-1200-1422.png (1200x1422, 402K)

Just think how badly a 28nm 8 core phenom II would smoke bulldozer

Pretty much every Intel product outside Itanium and 875P.

*and Netburst

I just wish they would've made a 12 core piledriver chip with 6 modules in it, if you set one core per module on something like that, the ipc would be better than phenom and it clocks crazy high, my 4 cores 4 modules outperforms a 1055T just because the ipc is pretty good and it's 4.4GHz.

I still use a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition C2 stepping that was made in January 2009. Ask me anything.

Must've been nice having better ipc than a 32nm gen of cpus that came after.

Is it that the IPC increases, or that resource contention decreases? I've seen this hammered on before, maybe the opterons might be fun to try since they cost nothing now for the 16 core ones. Damn shame you can't oc those

The way an FX/Operton 3000 series works, you have two cores sharing an L2 cahe and an FPU, with both cores processing at the same time, it's pretty fast, but not as fast if you had one core with it's own FPU and L2 cache, that's why an FX 8 core with 4 cores 4 modules enabled get's a 20% ipc boost, yes it's now slower overall, but it will be good at single core. AMD actually had to create a hotfix to park every other core across the 4 modules because people complained about the performance being so bad.

Attached: Core Parking.png (1920x1200, 217K)

This is my Phenom II X4's cooler from 2011. It was retired and replaced today. Say something nice about it.

Attached: 20180503_210449.jpg (900x851, 215K)

Thankfully AMD improved their stock cooling a lot. That one is absolutely shit.

me too senpai, mine's a 965 though
>there are people that upgrade their pc more often then 10 years
shiggy

When it can idle down to 14C in a cramped case, I'm not going to complain.

The AMD 125w copper stock cooler is strong as fuck, I was getting 63C and it was load but I was running 4.4GHz prime stable on an 8350, that's 9370 speeds, and that CPU doesn't even come with an air cooler.

Attached: DSC_0425-800x696.jpg (800x696, 64K)

>load
loud*

FX modules share the L1 and the frontend as well. that's one of the reasons it's so shit

Yeah it kinda was, for really specific workstation uses like mine, it's fucking amazing for what it costs, but I would've recommend someone build a 3570K rig back when the 8350 came out of they were just gaming.

Hey dickhead, that chip is 4 cores 8 modules.

A bulldozer core is comprised of two modules ... No wonder AMD were able to get away with pulling the wool over people's eyes ...

I know it's 8 cores crammed in 4 modules, but some boards let you disable every other core to free up the resources to get huge ipc gains.

Attached: Mad ipc.png (997x523, 696K)

Look at the die, you can see it's separated into 4 sections with cache and two schedulers.

Attached: BD-Die.jpg (2000x1452, 1.18M)

If you meant to say "my 4 core CPU with only 1 module per core enabled, outperforms [...]", then fair enough, but the meaning wasn't explicitly clear.

For the record, the Arch still had stupid issues. A refresh of PhII on the newer process would've been far more ideal. A refresh on a lower process node could've very easily included an 8 core chip at a reasonable price, all at an IPC, TDP, and overall perf far better than even a Vishera or Steamroller core running only a single module.

They really should've waited and made something with decent ipc, even if it was moar cores, because phenom X6 was still really competitive at the price they sold it at.

i had a 1090t for a while, it was good for video stuff, but fucking horrible for muh gaems

Eh, waiting altogether would've killed the company.

They also needed new chips to shove GPUs into, although they also massively overinvested in producing too many APUs. But more or less the company would've folded if they didn't at least have some inventory turnover, even if it were at a modest loss overall.

In short, unless PhII was just somehow fundamentally craptacular for making an APU out of, then for sure PhII would've bought them all the time they needed to make Zen earlier rather than dick around with Bulldozer-Steamroller in the meantime.

Pretty much that, the 8350 and 990FX boards were dirt cheap in 2016 but it was ancient.

I somehow didn't know these existed at the time despite having 3 AMD CPUs prior to Phenom.
I guess Phenom had a bad wrap due to some critical bugs in the arch before Phenom II came around.
Also whatever I had at the time felt powerful enough until Sandy Bridge came around.

But it seems like the Phenom X6 1090T was still significantly slower even in some multithreaded workloads than the lower clocked 4 core i7-860 (which it was similarly priced to)... let alone the 6 core i7-980X.
And it consumed more power.

Just plain seemed that the i7-860 would have been the better buy at the time.
Still today, 4 cores with hyperthreading/smt is often better than 6 cores without it.

Phenom was overshadowed by the lynnfield/Bloomfield i7, but for the money it was really good, and things were really competitive, if you knew how to northbridge, a 1055T can OC well.

I bought the Phenom II x3 when it came out and I do remember I was really happy with it and that it was pretty darn good at the time. Not sure it was very well executed, though, it didn't really sell that well.

That was a nice cooler for the CPU it came with.

I have an 830, about to put her to rest though. Perfect time though, AMD is competitive again for the first time since then.

I was walking down the road around the time Bulldozer was released and found an HP prebuilt with a Phenom II x4, a 1TB WD Green, and a PCIe Wi-Fi card. Never bothed checking the motherboard as I already had a better AM3+ board lying around but everything else still works

Attached: 1517028385084.gif (500x500, 197K)

sleep thight cooli

AM4. Will support until 2020, they may even do AM4-AM5 support like they did with AM2+.

>but for the money it was really good
But that's just the thing.
The 1090T and the i7-860 were both around $300.
And even in multithreaded applications, the 860 was close to or a little higher than the 1090T. In gaming and single core it was better. And lower power.

I'm expecting we'll get AM4+ or AM5 when DDR5 and PCIe5 comes and we'll get a generation of Ryzen that can be used on either the DDR4/PCIe4 or DDR5/PCIe5 socket/chipset. Probably Zen3 or the next one that they're apparently calling Zen5.

I think that's a lot of why they're calling it Zen5 and skipping the 5.
>DDR5
>PCIe5
>AM5
>Ryzen 5000 series
In 2020/21.

But AMD is actually expected to beat Intel to DDR5 adoption.. and DDR5 should be here in late this year or 2019... So Zen3 is surely going to support it and Zen2 might actually come out late this year instead of the normal Q1 release the following year in order for AMD to be on track to release Zen3 with DDR5 support in 2019?

Thank you for your hard work all over those years.
You've earned your rest.

No. This fucker is so loud that the first thing I did after listening to it was turn of my computer. Then I bought a Corsair A50.

Zen 2 will probably come at the same time as Zen+ in 2019.
Looks like the cooler that shipped with my OEM 9600 in 2007.

Yeah I used to have to undervolt/clock my 1090T to shut that bloody thing up during summer.

I was to poor for a phenom II so I got a athlon II x4 instead mobo cpu 4gb ram and a case came up to 230$ on sale in like early 2009 I think on newegg

still use this toaster daily but regret not getting a phenom due to all the upgrading I would have been able to do

Its not much difference, the Phenom just has L3 cache. Both are too weak for anything beside office tasks today.

Phenom II X3 720 BE here

>mfw Phenom 555 BE with full 4 cores unlocked

I can't stand the noise. I can hear it running even standing outside my house.

>gets shit on by literally GLUED C2Q
lmao

recently upgraded with chink ram and chink 2nd hand processor.

Attached: Untitled.png (648x586, 114K)

>Was there ever a family of processors executed better

I see what you did there.

Still using that on my Phenom II X4 965 BE
It does its job

Used a 960T until 6 months ago, unlocked it to 6-core but performance was better with 4 cores at 3.8GHz.

i bought an x4 945 95w edition to put into a pc for linux.

through the testing i've done so far, it seems powerful as hell for the money

Eh dunno, you'd need more than just a shrink to make it competetive. All the instruction set extensions that Phenom II was missing already at its own launch and bulldozer's launch would require a serious architectural overhaul.

Except they were pretty damn close together if you run them at the same clock. And Phenom IIs would generally clock higher.

Still running a 960T, although not so lucky and it runs only as 5core and up to 3.7GHz at crazy voltages.

Eventually I decided to screw OCing, went back to stock clock and decided to undervolt it. Runs smoothly stable and cold at 1.2375V

they made a 32nm version. i have it. athlon llano laptop.

i bought a x6 1090t for $30.
undervolted 3.2GHz to 1.225V.

it's really 8 cores for integer work load and 4 cores for floats.

yes.
waited like VIA into oblivion

Pretty much, that's why when I'm playing an old game that uses 2-4 cores I just flip it into one core per cu that it gets good fps, the ocol thing about one core per cu is you can OC 4 cores to 4.8 or 5ghz and it won't be running that hot.

>they made a 32nm version. i have it. athlon llano laptop.
Really it is and isn't. It's difficult to compare when they ripped out all of the L3 cache and who knows what else. It's same as everyone "knows" Excavator is better than Bulldozer/Piledriver, but noone REALLY knows because there never were "full" Excavator CPUs released, only castrated ones like Llano for K10.

>waited like VIA into oblivion
but VIA is still making x86, x64 CPUs, they're just not easily available on "western" markets.

>TFW used a Phenom II after I sold my X99 parts to make place

shit no pic

Attached: cpuzh0ssj.jpg (611x606, 66K)

The new CPU does that on a single core

Attached: 4.254astb.jpg (611x606, 67K)

When I got mines in my Phenom II X4 955 BE, it was loud as fuck and would constantly go up to 60C during full load (max safe temp according to box is 62C).

Replaced it with a Coolermaster 212 EVO nearly 8 years ago and it's still working great.

>Single thread score
That's marvelous. I only get 264 with the 8350 set on one core per cu and it's getting the best ipc

Still using a 1090t for music production.

It handles multiple instances of amplitube, ez drummer, various vsts for fx synth etc with no problems. Reaper takes advantage of the multiple cores well, and the system overall is very stable. It's running stock clock speed.

I will probably wait until the system just flat out dies before I replace it.

Actually on par with my 4.4 GHz Haswell-E
FX is obsolete now, unless you are doing only office work or old games
The Phenom did desktop nicely, but modern games won't run and it was a bottleneck of hell for my 1080 Ti
I somehow only scored 22K graphics in 3dmark, usually its 29K stock (OC card)

Still have x99. Waiting for newer nez generations to release. Want to switch over to all AMD.

I don't regret it. Around ~45 % more multicore performance. Same singlethread. 4.2 on Ryzen is equal to 4.4 on Haswell.

Attached: 1899.jpg (1600x900, 108K)

Compiling software doesn't hit the FPU much if at all, so mine is crazy fast for that. They make good Gentoo machines. Of course I maxed out my AM3+ build years ago so now I'm holding on for Ryzen 3 or whatever.

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 5
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
stepping : 2
microcode : 0x1000086
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save vmmcall
bogomips : 5200.47
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

AMDs first sub 100 Bucks Quadcore. It's still alive and kicking.

Attached: th (31).jpg (474x266, 14K)

sleep tight cooli

You mean it bows down to get fisted by a Ryzen 1200?

I still played every new game on it. Even that piece of shit Fallout 4.

Games like AC Origins will probably not run. Unless you mean sub(human) 60 FPS suffering.

not only I use an "ancient" pc build, it was also a budget one. I only added more ram and replaced the graphic card. I still play all the games.

whatever you say, I feel pretty good about it and think you're simply jelly of me.

Attached: 1525316251817.png (349x356, 131K)

Not really, I can play them in 4K again when EVGA replaced my GPU.

I had several budget builds too but when I had enough money I finally build some decent systems. There is no need for anyone to play at 30 FPS anymore, even with less money you can get a nice Ryzen system.

My socket base broke and I run my 965 at 74°C for 4 months waiting for the replacement parts to arrive from USA (to Italy). Still running without problems

>says the increasingly nervous computer shop owner

Damn. 4.4 is what I'm currently running. I guess newer features also gives ryzen an edge.

I'm holding with my Phenom II for Zen 2 too, but then again I have doubts due to the "don't buy 1st gen of anything" rule of thumb. And Zen 2 will be 1st gen on 7nm...

Amd I gonna hold forever..?

>when 7nm+ zen drops they will announce zen on 5nm next year
Just wait forever then.

Still using an Athlon II X3.
H265 software decoding stutters a bit though so I consider upgrading to a Phenom II X6.

Think I'll wait until they can't shrink silicon process anymore. Though they pretty much already can't and those numbers used in naming are just marketing shilling.

Stop playing videogames and realize you don't need the newest cpu.
I'm still with my FX4300.

too bad these are shit when emulating anything with polygons

I shit on AMD as much as the next guy, but FUCK I love the AM3 Phenom X4s and X6s.

zen+ is already out, dude. What?

I'm probably gonna get another 8350 for my UD3 board laying around because it's 109 dollars, but an X6 1100t would be cool because it's 6 real cores.

And Haswell is well above Sandy/Ivy, which are well above Phenom.
4.2Ghz on Ryzen is about equal to 5GHz on Sandy for single thread or 4.8 for Ivy. And multithreaded is far better since SMT > HT.

>5GHz on Sandy for single thread or 4.8 for Ivy
Wasn't Ivy just a Sandy shrink without any IPC impact?

Not him but it pretty much was, Haswell is what you want, a stock 4790k at 4GHz performs like a 4.7GHz 2600k

No, that was back when Intel still made IPC improvements with each generation(or at all). It was pretty much like going from Zen to Zen+ though, just minor optimizations.

Yeah minor optimizations like clocking horribly unless you delid dis.

Yeah but They haven't made a new chip in a very long time. Its super lame. I wish they would bother completing on the consumer market. They had some good netbook offerings back in the day.