Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Services.html#Services
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

No

maybe

thanks

It's the future

It's unironically and in completely seriousness the greatest thing to ever happen to my computer.

good to hear that user, what do you like about it?

it's nixos (kinda) with lisp

DO IT FAGGOTS

Attached: 1524902247500.jpg (1000x1000, 1023K)

Guix is an official sponsor of outreachy

>wholly dedicated to freedom, fsf approved and gnu sponsored
>no terrible systemd or kernel bloob nonsense
>lisp (guile[scheme]) hackable on every level, entire os and all packages are just normal lisp declarations
>functional package management, roll anything back (including the entire os) to any previous [working] state, basically impossible to break beyond repair
>even with all this, it's rock solid and everything still just fucking works
Devs will want it for the reproducible builds etc,
but it's plug and play enough to just be a normal desktop machine for people who don't care to learn anything as well.
It's what Debian was 10 years ago, only way better.
That we ever didn't do package management or os design this way retrospectively seems just absolutely retarded.
In 5 years, you're going to see everyone else [poorly] copying what these guys are doing today.

Their project for GSOC got funding and they completed a couple cool things.

The build scripts will now be Guile (Scheme) now too! Instead of C++ which simplifies it for sysadmins who aren't really programmers.

GNU/Shepherd is getting systemd-unit type files so you can run systemd type init scripts without having your systemdiseased.

GNU/Guix (package manager) is working on Android!

It's using the libre kernel and systemd-less with their own init system.
The package manager can a lot of crazy features like Nix but the syntax is actually sane unlike NixOS where they use their own language/syntax instead of using a existing one to simplify.
It's a GNU project obviously and stallman approved.
Basically it's Jow Forums incarnate.

>Basically it's Jow Forums incarnate.
How do I get to your universe where cellphones and buttcoin didn't ruin everything?

Fuck that sounds pretty hot. I assumed it used systemd too since it's similar to Nix, so that's nice to know. might have to give it a try on one of my spare thinkpads in the near future...

Not only does it not use systemd, shepherd is fucking awesome.

I suppose I should say it's the idealist foss Jow Forumsent incarnate that that we strive for which is now a minority on this board.

Free as in jail.

No alternative channels with package manager to get non-free software. Tightly coupled with OS.

just use Nix

Liberated kernel is another cool feature.
It's even more pure than Debian in that regard. (which is still hold a fondness for)
Like GNU/Parabola or GNU/Trisquel but it's actually a modern and useable OS instead of experiment.

To clarify a common point of confusion,
Guix is just the package manager
GuixSD is a meta OS built around that package manager
and we're all talking about the later now.
Using these correctly might become relevant if you go and ask something in their room #guix on freenode is all.

Attached: GuixSD.png (200x200, 8K)

Guix can be used complementary with your main package managers. It can also run unprivileged on normal users.

Guile Scheme is also a lot easier to use and lots of knowlege is applicable since it's Lisp derived.
Nix makes you start from scratch and is very confined.

Also it's not tightly coupled with the OS because it can run on any Linux distro(including *BSD and Hurd) and even Android now.

Unprivileged use is cool to use in a chroot environment.
For example say your main package manager is Apt for root.
You could give your users a small volume on the disk and lock them in there but they can use Guix to install and handle their own local packages without requiring root access or sharing packages with other users.

You're more than welcome to package anything yourself - And Guix gives you all the tools you need to do so rather easily.
Wouldn't expect some antifreedom retard who spews inane complaints to be capable of even the simplest of tasks though.

(use-modules (gnu))
(operating-system
(host-name "desktop")
(timezone "America/Denver")
(locale "en_US.utf8")
(bootloader (bootloader-configuration
(bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
(target "/boot/efi")))
(file-systems (cons* (file-system
(device (uuid "ABCD-1234" 'fat))
(title 'uuid)
(mount-point "/boot/efi")
(type "vfat"))
(file-system
(device "a")
(title 'label)
(mount-point "/")
(type "ext4"))
%base-file-systems))
(swap-devices '("/dev/sda3"))
(users (cons* (user-account
(name "buen")
(group "users")
(supplementary-groups '("audio" "netdev" "video" "wheel"))
(home-directory "/home/buen"))
%base-user-accounts))
(packages %base-packages)
(services %base-services))
Here's about as small a normal OS declaration you can get away with.
Like we used to recommend for installing Debian minimally, I would suggest starting with something like the above (so you can get it up and running quickly), then changing and adding what you want as you need and reconfiguring.
This is one real power of GuixSD. If at any point you want to change something, you just redefine it in lisp and run a single command ($ guix system reconfigure .../config.scm). You get spit into an entirely new/different operating system. And don't worry, if it turns out you broke or don't like something, just reboot and select the previous OS definition in grub.
pure
fucking
magic

Wanting the choice to install what you want instead of being locked into a subset of software
somehow equates to anti freedom.

Nice logic there

>declarative system configuration

Fug yes.

But how far along is it? Is it stable/sane enough for use a desktop daily driver?

The packages declaration is for things that will be available to all users.
For a normal desktop, that might look something like:
(packages (cons* emacs
emacs-guix
emacs-org
emacs-web-mode
geiser
paredit
ffmpeg
git
gnupg
imagemagick
nss-certs
openssh
rsync
screen
tmux
scrot
neofetch
texlive
wget
curl
zip
unzip
%base-packages))
Remember though that users can install things to their own profiles without having to be root, so adding things here is just a convenience and by no means necessary.

Where shit really gets fun though is the services section.
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Services.html#Services
They have a bunch of interesting things already worked out with more being added regularly.
I'm currently running a ssh daemon, nginx server, postgres database, and their new auto certbot service.
I want to play more with their mpd service, git service, and setting up my own email server.

I've been using it as my main/only OS going on 2 years now.
The answer was yes back then and it's only more true today.
I've even installed it on a Macbook Pro and everything (except the wifi) works great.
I hope I never have to use a different OS as long as I live.

Wow trips it's like Lain OS

Attached: 241805.jpg (225x350, 41K)

it'd be pretty nice if you could manage your dotfiles with something similar

On a scale from AUR to creating debs, how easy is it to create your own packages?
Is setting up personal repos easy?

INSTALL CRUX, FAGGOT.

install NixOS

I've got it installed in a VM. It has some good ideas, but it's still a work in progress. If you want something like it with more stablity, use NixOS.

Seems nice i'll give a try, now that void is dead

NixOS doesn't have this problem

It's contaminated by GNUtard freedumb FSF ideology.

But you can manage your system with Scheme and it's (theoretically) amazing for development environments.

>GNU
>Is it good
No

I don't know