/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of replica watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine replica watch, clock, or other timepiece. Discussion of genuine watches is also welcome.

Do not post Casio, Seiko or Citizen in this thread, these are strictly fashion watches with no horological value and should be posted in the general on /fa/.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=Xzn4MQnngT4

>Thread theme (also unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=E36qMxXGo3A

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cPITpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAuARwi

previous thread:

Attached: really nice tudor.jpg (1119x1132, 353K)

Other urls found in this thread:

miyotamovement.com/pdf/manu_0S30.pdf
miyotamovement.com/pdf/draw_0S30.pdf
miyotamovement.com/pdf/spec_0S30.pdf
ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Silver-Wave-Automatic-6306-Vintage-1978/273188126580
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

thinking of getting this watch
what colour is best? i'm leaning towards the sunburst blue dial version

Attached: citizen3.jpg (1125x1500, 168K)

Should I get a garmin or suunto for a fitness watch?

also the white version but idk about that
blue seems like the best middle ground

Attached: watch-mechanical-man-citizen-meccanico-nj0090-81l_235652.jpg (1000x1000, 207K)

F91w.

Does anyone have any comments on E-Ink digital watches? I just found out they exist. Pic is Seiko Spirit SBPA001

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1205, 213K)

white looks peng too though

Attached: watch-mechanical-man-citizen-meccanico-nj0090-81a_235650.jpg (1000x1000, 159K)

Great start to the thread guys.

Lets all discuss shitty disposable $25 Japanese watches for the next 300 posts.

Can't wait.

Attached: bob the builder.jpg (256x256, 14K)

>digital without seconds
I don't see the point in eink for watches, just stick to good ol' displays.

That's a /fa/ question, not /wt/

You can always leave, you fucking retard

>you fucking retard
I'm not a retard.

Apologize.

ahh, this is helpful actually. I'm making a titanium automatics list.

In today's thread Mr. Spaghetti voices his concern about cheap Japanese meat being mixed in to the spaghetti sauce.

hes right though.

I need suggestions for a new watch. Three hander or gmt in the same simple style as pic related, the datejust, oyster perpetual, and such. Budget is 3000 and I know I csn get a GS for that but I'm still not sold.

Attached: imgrc0066179803.jpg (697x733, 89K)

Why are you not sold on GS?

You can't keep out the Casiozoku.
We run this thread.

Attached: IMG_0547.jpg (3072x2304, 2.44M)

Help me decide on my next watch

>Black bay
fakes a.k.a. reps need not apply

>man on the fucking moon

Attached: 1525074139801.jpg (800x800, 218K)

Are the stars calling for you or do you want to forever have us assume you have a fake?

Get a black bay 58.

I cant read MOTM without hearing archies voice

I'm more not sold on Spring Drive and if I get a GS i will get a spring drive

MAAAAAN ON THE FUCKING MOOOOOOONNNN
MAN ON THE MOON
MAN ONNNNN THE MOON

Tudor HERITAGE Black Bay.

What is the difference in performance between a $5 casio and a $5m analog watch?

>there are people browsing /wt/ right now who buy watches so that they can tell the time

Attached: ddk justed.jpg (512x512, 33K)

Just got this vintage Stowa for 30€ shipped. I believe it’s a stainless steel case and the movement is working fine. Just needs to be polished a bit to look decent. Does /wt/ approve?

Attached: 3C2289F0-DDF3-44FE-A80C-CDA9DAA5EF80.jpg (750x981, 259K)

I don't care.

Post nice watches, I'll start.

Attached: IMG_5280.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

>hey guys I'm a successful businessperson with my own company and wife
>let me show this off by wearing something someone else designed/made

Stop posting your ChinkBay. Thanks.

>hi guys just bought this new car
>it gets me to work and back, isn't it great?

No.

>greetings, members of the board
>*ahem* see that car outside? That's Mansory-I mean MY car, it's MADE by Mansory
>b-but I paid $500k for it so it really does show off my character and artistic design

not the guy you replied to but I think you're slightly retarded and/or on the spectrum. You can express yourself through and have appreciation for things that you did not yourself create

>he thinks people only buy things to impress other people and not to enjoy them for themselves
>he thinks price indicates quality
Call me when you graduate high school.

Attached: 1500734411410.jpg (250x250, 5K)

Attached: IMG_0545.jpg (3072x2304, 2.35M)

see
You have to be deluded to be comically outside the bell curve of purchases and call it appreciation.

I like the lug shape, put it on some nice leather though.

I bet Mike Tyson could fuck you in the ass better than a female supermodel wearing a strap on, which would you prefer?

If I were to buy any luxury watch I’d want spring drive, limiting me to GS by default. I don’t see any downsides to spring drive, to me if feels like it has the craftsmanship value of a luxury mechanical with the accuracy of a quartz watch (at least it does in my opinion)
I also find the styling of GS cases and dials fit my taste very well, but watches are a very individual thing and you may not like things that I do.
Unfortunately I don’t know if any similarly styled GMTs, but that’s probably due to my own ignorance.

Neither, what is this analogy even? How crooked are you?

Still better than food analogy.

>comes to watch enthusiast general
>starts attacking watch enthusiasts and saying nice watches are a waste of money

Attached: retardn.jpg (333x378, 23K)

Too autistic to address someone directly even on an anonymous imageboard, you sponge?

>not choosing Mike Tyson
Gay.

@65793051
Stop baiting, if you want to bait, get some good bait. You're posting the most brainless bait possible, it's the equivalent of signing up to a Christian forum so you can shitpost about how God isn't real.

Put it on leather or perlon and replace the crystal.

Why does perlon look so good on everything?

These are now up for preorder in case anyone cares.

Attached: linen-12.jpg (960x720, 360K)

Braided things are nice, like the braided hair of a girl.

Jow Forums here. this is my first time on Jow Forums and can i just say, the level of autism in /wt/ is astounding. you've reached autism levels that arent even theoretically possible. and i mean this as a compliment

Attached: 1521355962923.jpg (1003x755, 60K)

I was thinking about polishing the crystal with some polywatch paste. Don’t you think that’s enough to make the crystal look nice again?

Yeah that’s nice, but the bit of what it seems to be rust on the second hand bugs me little. If it turns to be that I’d most probably flip it.
I’m gonna put it on leather most probably.

Lame af. Movement seems to be a complete shit btw.

Well, the scratches on your crystal looks like are only superficial scratches, they aren't deep like mine was so polywatch may do the work if you have the patience.

Attached: comparison 3.jpg (1080x1214, 805K)

Joe did you manage to find the specific crystal for that watch? Or are they standardised?

So it turns out that, like the MDV-106 Marlin, the Casio MTP-4500 has a Miyota movement inside. The Marlin's movement is Casio branded but they didn't bother to change the markings for this one.
This is the OS30, often found in overpriced mallwatches, but here in the Casio it is in pure form.
Miyota's website kindly provides schematics and other details, such as the calibration procedure, that Casio's manual lacks.
miyotamovement.com/pdf/manu_0S30.pdf
miyotamovement.com/pdf/draw_0S30.pdf
miyotamovement.com/pdf/spec_0S30.pdf

Attached: IMG_0560.jpg (3072x2304, 2.07M)

Standardised crystal, the watchmakers picked up a crystal from the shelves in no time.

Another OS30.

Attached: 2011-04-10-Chrono_OS3015.jpg (800x600, 114K)

Most cheap Casios will have a Miyota inside them, rarely a Seiko for some models with different kinds of subdials.

Casio doesn't make in-house movements for simple analog watches anymore, though everything with an LCD screen, or fancy functions like Wave-Ceptors or Oceanus will still have a Casio movement inside.

t. batterynigger

Attached: IMG_20180411_093138_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.39M)

Looks awesome

Is that a bomber jacket, hungaronigger?

Is Seiko modding the new meme fad yet?

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1502, 1.42M)

Your honest thoughts about this?

Attached: patek vs grand seiko.png (2821x1149, 2.51M)

Something like that. I got it when I was in my thin phase. Now I'm transitioning into dadmode.

Btw. I'm developing a dadgut while not even having a family. Which sucks because I'm close to thirty, so my only gf prospects of my same age are single moms, used up roasties, and mentally damaged virgins who were molested as a child.

Is any dive watch apart from a Rolex with a Triplock crown just a cunthair away from being flooded?

Attached: rolex_triplock.jpg (1200x900, 182K)

start exercising more mate. I was developing the dad body over the last year or so too but I've reversed a lot of damage just in the last couple months

No time for exercise m8, I'm constantly working like a dog, and I really can't afford things like my hands shaking from fatigue.

I did tweak my diet a bit though, and got rid of like five kilos already.

Attached: IMG_20180411_150521_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.06M)

Nah.

Attached: IMG_20180429_131013__01.jpg (1698x2560, 1.32M)

diet is the key just for weight loss. Just make sure you eat enough to maintain your energy and you'll be fine man

Post wrist shots.

Attached: IMG_20180421_190430.jpg (4160x3120, 3.15M)

slide rule watch winrar

/fa/ is a garbage board
Just asking for a colour reccomendation
I'm leaning more toward blue but I'll try them in person to see how they look

>Casio doesn't make in-house movements for simple analog watches anymore, though everything with an LCD screen, or fancy functions like Wave-Ceptors or Oceanus will still have a Casio movement inside.
tfw enjoying reading analog time on a in-house casi movement.

Attached: casio.webm (980x708, 2.77M)

I habitually guzzled fruit juice, a liter every day. Didn't stop and think about how much sugar that has. Now I've cut that out of my diet, and also cut down on things like burgers and shit.

I know I don't have to be an ascetic to be healthy, just enjoy things with measure.

Help me decide guys

Attached: Which one.jpg (2034x678, 453K)

Nice Vincero chrono-
Never mind.

So nobody wants to talk about this inconvenient truth?

ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Silver-Wave-Automatic-6306-Vintage-1978/273188126580

Gonna cop this bad boy.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 362K)

Attached: IMG_5206.jpg (2448x3264, 1.58M)

Patek has a bigger brand than Seiko, they can charge much more because of that.

So brand whores pay out the ass for PP, while discerning galaxybrains pay a sensible sum for true horological merit.
Makes sense.

Looks like a fucked up QC oversight to me.

Yes, that's exactly how it goes.
Brand fags should just kys.

Should both watches be the same age if your going to compare them?
No point comparing a Ford flathead vs a modern GM hemi

The Patek is a current production model.

>buying Swiss
>buying Swatch

Attached: IMG_4121.jpg (645x729, 91K)

>from watchfinder who aren't an AD
So for all we know it's from 20 years ago and had a rough life.
Hardly a fair comparison vs a watch that was made in this decade

>expecting a Seiko fanboy to act rationally

>dat denial

It had such a rough life that the hand finishing undid itself?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying one is better than the other or anything just that unless both watches are the same age (for sure) it's not exactly a fair fight.

That Patek is a current production model, user.

I spent 20k on a piece of poo because I care about the long rich Indian history it has behind it and hand finishing by mr Pajeet, poomaster general
Did you know the Kashmiri Indians have been hand molding their shit since the time of Alexander the Great? That's the kind of legacy I want to be part f

Pretty much everyone here knows this, apart from a few delusional idiots. There's nothing really to discuss.

>Tfw smart enough to realize that luxury watches are told to last a lifetime only because they are too expensive to replace hence the forceful need to service and maintain them.
>Tfw in the end it's just a brand competition and no one outside this thread values any of the horological qualities.
>Tfw too much of a brainiac to spend more than 200 USD on a watch.
>Tfw I realize that the true cost effective way to have a watch last is to go quartz, even better digital quartz in a sturdy stainless steel case.

>Patek isn't in a better position now than they were 20 years ago leading to them being able to financially spend more time on each watch
>technology and techniques haven't changed at all on the last 20 years
It's not going to be an apple's to apple's comparison but you can make it closer than an apple's to fish
Do you know the exact date that watch was made from a video? No. Is it the same age as the GS? Very unlikely. And things change over time even without changing references (just look at Rolex who change the dial text and more during a single reference)

My grandfather has a 40y old Rolex that is still running and has only been serviced once

If only they'd made those in a more traditional size.

Rolex is quality, but surely you agree it's not the most cost effective method to get a mechanical Rolex if you want something to last.
However I have a almost 50 y o digital Seiko that has never been serviced running perfectly.