So now that Ethereum ASIC miners are a thing, will GPUs become reasonably priced again...

So now that Ethereum ASIC miners are a thing, will GPUs become reasonably priced again? Wanting to pick up a 1080 on eBay for < $400.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1400x933, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@admazzola/the-case-for-the-mineable-erc20-token-78cbb4c34331
youtube.com/watch?v=jNtNw-YsqQU
reddit.com/r/moneromarket/comments/6pcypu/any_interest_in_buying_a_2015_4x4_red_jeep/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no etherium mining with gpu's is still high
not to mention that someone will probably invent yet another crypto for gpu's

Doesn't Ethereum want to move away from proof of work anyway?

EVGA just dropped their 1080tis again today. So there's a possibility we might get reasonably priced cards just in time for the next generation to be announced.

That's what I originally heard. I also heard several forking threats. The idea seems to be that proof of stake will remove any incentive to spend Ethereum and render the currency worthless.

BUT MUHH BLOCK CHAINZ WILL CHANGE THE WORLDZ

>will GPUs become reasonably priced again?

No, because the eth devs themselves are against asic mining and want mining to be more decentralized (GPU based), so they said that they will introduce updates making eth mining asic resistant. Basically recent release of eth asic is a way to circumvent the built-it 'protection' against asic mining that existed from the beginning, so it supposed to be restored again.
That, or they will just move to PoS.

Sorry, man, but PoW mining ERC20 tokens have just begun (for distribution).

medium.com/@admazzola/the-case-for-the-mineable-erc20-token-78cbb4c34331

youtube.com/watch?v=jNtNw-YsqQU

Attached: 2018-05-04 12_22_04-The case for the Mineable ERC20 Token – Admazzola – Medium.png (1177x998, 78K)

>That, or they will just move to PoS.
only the deadest coins with failed launches go PoS

Isn't it uses generic gpu chips anyway?

Utterly retarded. You have to lock up Ether to use it for staking, so only people who have a significant stack and don't care about liquidity will be staking. And the point of Ethereum isn't in spending it like a currency but smart contracts, which require Ether to be used.

We need more ASIC-resistant coins to solve the /v/ problem
Mining must become profitable enough that 99% of all available GPUs are used for it

At least CryptoNight miners are currently establishing a protocol extension that allows for easier upgrades of the PoW.
Monero plans to change its PoW every 6 months to deter ASIC

>just want to experiment with neat opencl accelerated AI stuff
>normies jack up the prices by buying into the crypto bubble

Collateral damage in the more important mission of solving the /v/ problem

now that eth asic miners are a thing, people are still mining ZEC and this should boost ZEC price
dumb nocoiners

What /v/ problem exactly?

/v/ exists

this

gpu and ram cartels gotta keep that $$$ rolling in

And what's the problem with that?

This doesn't solve anything.
/v/toddlers will just begin asking what's the best APU build or shit like that.

The anti-ASIC crap is retarded. As if centralization can't happen with GPUs as well.

he's gotta act like he hates /v/ or the other Jow Forums shutins will bully him :(

>2018
>still mining shithereum

Attached: 1525290274229.jpg (638x558, 64K)

>implying people have identities here
go fuck yourself back to facebook and plebbit

struck a nerve?

yeah, my retard detector

I hope cryptos keep forking.
It destroys their credibility and keeps them from ever being taken seriously.

You do know ASICS are a good thing right? Being more efficient is how new technology matures.

t. jihan wu

>I hope cryptos keep forking.
>It destroys their credibility
meanwhile, one bitcoin costs around $10000

but keep being poor and butthurt

There were beanie babies that were worth half a million.

Bitcoin will be the only coin left because people actually know it and it got legitimized by several institution etc.. at a point it will turn into a real currency instead of a pyramid scheme.

If goods aren't offered by your coin, your coin is a pyramid scheme.

Goods are offered for LTC, XMR, ETH and others

Can i but a car with monero? Oh, wait, i forgot that only bitcoin has real world monetary usage, other couns are pyramid lottery with eberyone buying them in hope to sell them more expensive to other retard who hopes to sell it even higher. Also, bitcoin has asics.

yes you can, you can buy anything from dreammarket with monero, which is the biggest market in the world

don't even bother responding to these dumb nocoiners

Are you sure that is a good buy? Already 2 years old hardware, they are going to release the 1170 with 1080TI performance for $450 soon.

>muh smart contracts
lol you don't actually believe that do you?

Mining is not all that RAM intensive - it's mostly the growing mobile market to blame for high memory costs

Attached: 1500871751372.png (600x600, 116K)

>Wants mining to be decentralized.
>Three companies in china have more than 50 percent of the total hash power.

Yeh ok

Attached: mUFwQVC.png (1366x768, 787K)

Not an argument

generally when a retard gets too close it gives bad readings, step back 20 feet from the detector and recalibrate it

big corps are in ethereum

Believe what? That the explicit purpose of Ethereum is smart contracts and not being a currency? Yes. That smart contracts are actually useful? Not clear.

reddit.com/r/moneromarket/comments/6pcypu/any_interest_in_buying_a_2015_4x4_red_jeep/

Do you understand that generating hashes efficiently isn't actually useful to society in any way? The whole point of proof of work was that anyone could do it with a small investment, their existing CPU even, creating decentralization. ASICs destroy this principle. Bitcoin is now a currency controlled by a single-digit number of entities with access to cheap ASIC production and electricity. The whole point of Bitcoin was to be decentralized, but it isn't, and the difference from a traditional currency is that the people in control are burning gigawatts of power to maintain their control. Without ASICs, it would at least be possible for that absurd energy expenditure to be going towards something useful, actual decentralization, but it's not the case now.

>ASICs destroy this principle
They don't.
A small bitcoin ASIC doesn't cost you any more than an Ethereum mining rig.
The belief that ASICs inherently lead to centralization and GPUs don't is retarded.
Someone with lots of money and cheap electricity is able to run a huge GPU operation too and can use the generated wealth to make it bigger and bigger.

>and electricity.
ASICs use much less electricity. Imagine how much more power a huge mining facility with GPUs would use.

Consider the number of people who own a GPU vs the number of people who own a particular algorithm's ASIC. For example I used to be able to mine on my GPU which I originally bought for gayming, but it's not profitable any more. I'm not unique. Less individuals using their computing power is more centralization.

>Someone with lots of money and cheap electricity is able to run a huge GPU operation too and can use the generated wealth to make it bigger and bigger.
If it was GPUs, small players could also use their individual GPUs and earn some profit. But because all these operations worldwide use ASICs, the mining difficulty has adjusted such that you will literally lose money if you try to mine Bitcoin with a GPU.
With ASICs, the barrier to entry for a positive flow of money at all is owning a very specific and otherwise useless piece of hardware. Without, it's owning a common piece of computer hardware that you aren't using all the time.

>ASICs use much less electricity. Imagine how much more power a huge mining facility with GPUs would use.
It's not that simple. They wouldn't swap out GPUs for ASICs 1-for-1 and then just pocket the savings in electricity. It would come down to factors like limits on the size of their facility and how tightly they can pack ASICs vs GPUs in addition to the hashes/watt difference.

The obvious implications for liquidity and supply driving up price is obvious.

>he thinks a shitmain antminer s9 that takes 1400w from the wall is more efficient than a 600w 200mh hashrate

Attached: 56787.png (423x330, 26K)

>Consider the number of people who own a GPU
Consider the number of people who own a high-end GPU that's worth mining with. One they can spare for mining 24/7.
That's really not a whole lot of people.
The vast vast majority of ETH coins are mined with hardware bought for that purpose. This is why there's a huge markup on GPUs right now, and the barrier of entry is clearly increasing

>otherwise useless piece of hardware
After mining your card to death it also becomes useless.

>It would come down to factors like limits on the size of their facility and how tightly they can pack ASICs vs GPUs
Have you seen Chinese bitcoin mining facilities?
They're in remote dirt cheap almost abandoned areas of the country.
Space isn't much of a limiting factor. And you wouldn't want too tight spacing anyway since it's a bitch to cool so many.

That and price fixing

Slightly more optimized GPUs don't render other GPUs completely worthless for mining the same way ASICs do.
>A high-end GPU that's worth mining with
I did not have one. (It was still worth in that it generated profit mining but that wasn't a factor in my owning it.) I was still able to mine. That's decentralization.

>After mining your card to death it also becomes useless.
>After you use it it's useless.
It's also not hard to mine part-time and without putting the maximum strain on the GPU.

>Space isn't much of a limiting factor. And you wouldn't want too tight spacing anyway since it's a bitch to cool so many.
I'm not sure, but I suspect ASICs wouldn't reduce total electricity usage with infinite space, because the miner would expand with additional ASICs faster than they could with GPUs due to the better margins on the cost of electricity.

The funny thing is that if they worked together they could make any changes they want to the blockchain.

What kind of component are inside ASICs?

Inside the actual ASICs, i.e. the chip?
Or the modules they're on?