Does this splitter actually work? Like we talking about two PCs in LAN and streaming and torrenting

Does this splitter actually work? Like we talking about two PCs in LAN and streaming and torrenting

Attached: HTB1E.3bfL9TBuNjy1zbq6xpepXaW.jpg (800x800, 165K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Of8Ckh8qcI0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: HTB1wFduf_lYBeNjSszcq6zwhFXaP.jpg (800x800, 268K)

If it is merely a splitter, then:

Not with gigabit ethernet (because no collision detection/ CSMA/CD)

With fast ethernet and below, yes, it would work like a hub.

Or, if it is implemented as a switch, then yes.

It's been reported to work, but I doubt it, since you can't have two PCs with the same IP.

A splitter won't also assign you two separate IPs, like a router can.

Attached: triple penetration phone.jpg (1280x826, 367K)

I mean you can't have 2 same IPs in the same LAN.

And a splitter doesn't assign IPs.

I don't think that is what OP asked. A splitter would work in the same way a old-fashioned hub would, unique IP addresses would still be assigned to the MAC address of the individual NICs (as in, one IP per computer).

Then why would anyone buy routers if you could just use hubs/splitters?

This would work like an old fashioned hub.
Forget everything above 10Base-T tho.

Yes

because subnets

Educate yourself about the OSI model and which protocols / devices operate at which layer.

Because Basically, before Gigabit ethernet, the ethernet standard supported Carrier Sense Medium Acces with Collision Detection. However, since nobody ever made a hub for Fast Ethernet (100 mbit/s) they removed it from the standard for Gigabit Ethernet (because it means lower latency).

You can still buy switches, which are not the same thing as routers. Switches forward frames based on MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

pic of mustang for the 10/10 inputs

Attached: cq5dam.web.768.768.jpg (720x638, 70K)

broadcast storms boiii

You only get one WAN IP from your provider tho (usually).

So how could you get unique IP addresses by using a splitter? Which device would be managing the WAN IP?

really retarded mate, or your bait is very good

>You only get one WAN IP from your provider tho (usually).
Or a subnet, if you buy a small business plan.

>So how could you get unique IP addresses by using a splitter? Which device would be managing the WAN IP?
I was assuming that there was a gateway DSL modem/NAT combo there, which would be able to translate from LAN addresses to WAN. Without a DSL modem, you're quite right.

My ISP gives me new IP addresses up to 25 whenever I dhcp with new mac.

stay away. really.

I use one to connect two printers to one ethernet port. I only turn on one printer at a time.

This is stupid

If you dont know what the fuck you are talking about STFU ! that is the best policy for actually being taken seriously. STFU if all you are going to do is make yourself look stupid

It would work
youtube.com/watch?v=Of8Ckh8qcI0

how it works is because for ethernet you only need 4 wires to carry the signal. The other 4 are for signal integrity. The splitter takes two cables and uses 4 of each cables wires to transmit the signals, 2 up 2 down
so 16 wires go in and the 8 wires coming out are carrying two different signals

>what is broadcast radiation
>what is switching theory
>what is a subnet

Holy fuck, this entire thread is the absolute state of Jow Forums, you're all idiots that know nothing about any of the TCP/IP layers

It's not a telephone jack, nice troll

splitters are layer one
you'd be splitting the bandwidth more or less equally between both devices, as each is using it, and sending the traffic across both sides (so both computers and whatever is at the other end would be able to see both computers' traffic), like a hub
if that splitter is only rated at Cat5, you'll only get Cat5 speeds (10/100), if it's rated Cat5e, Cat6, or Cat6A, then you'll get gigabit (10/100/1000) as long as your patch cables are rated that high (if you don't know, read the words on the jacket)
so each computer can have its own IP

Network together 200 computers inside a single collision domain and get back to me with what you've learned.

Attached: bold-strategy.jpg (500x280, 19K)

>Does this splitter actually work? Like we talking about two PCs in LAN and streaming and torrenting
No, they do not work. They can be used ONLY when you at most one of two devices is turned on at any time. You need to buy a switch.

100mbit only uses 4 wires
Ethernet cable has 8 wires
1000mbit uses 6 wires

Attached: 1524388640659.jpg (304x301, 16K)

ITT retards that have no idea how CAT5 twisted pair works.

This.

The splitter itself will NOT work like a hub. You can't connect 2 endpoints in parallel to symmetrical twisted pairs, because that's not how symmetrical pairs work.

Only like this, with an identical splitter on the other end plus a 10/100Mbps switch/hub. You might have problems with interference between lines at long lengths of cable, because having two independent Ethernet lines in one UTP cable isn't part of the standard. (That is assuming the splitter puts 2 pairs to one socket and 2 other pairs to the other socket; if both output sockets are wired in parallel then I don't even know what's the point)

Retard who doesn't understand what routing and LAN IPs are. He thinks you can make a cable assign different IPs to different devices.

Jesus fucking christ this thread, you put an identical Y splitter on both ends and it uses the 'extra' wires unnecessary on lower base communications, it's functionally similar to running two cables side by side but costs less since you only need one long run of cable