Best Linux distro?

Can someone redpill me on Windows , and give me a run down on your favorite Linux distros?

Attached: 1cb8ec2a06dbbe84ab36caf5d50cd8d4.png (1024x1024, 297K)

It depends on what you want to do. SteamOS is great for gaming

Bump

The linix distro I'm currently using is called OS El Captian, it only works on Macs. After 2 years in the i.t. field I found that's distro to be the best. Hope that helps you out.

>After 2 years in the i.t. field
web dev?

STFU macOS is a BSD, everybody knows that.

Windows 10 spies on your word documents and makes money by tailored advertising.

Linux Mint.
Vanilla Ubuntu is awful because of the 'Unity' desktop environment.

kde neon

Triggered bitch LOOOOL

Arch. Easy to install things with the AUR. No need to mess with tarballs. Rolling release means that you won't need to reinstall for upgrade. Anarchy Linux supplies an installer for it. That being said, I'd recommend KDE neon for a starter distro. Microsoft will tell you to use Debian.

Windows is shit and that is it. Try any distro, and you'll end up realizing how deep this statement goes with time.

>ctrl+f
>"gentoo"
>no results
install gentoo OP, don't listen to all these internet trolls

Ubuntu doesn't ship with Unity since 18.04

>Rolling release means that you won't need to reinstall for upgrade.
Not every distro is as buggy as Ubuntu. I haven't reinstalled my Debian desktop since I bought the hardware in mid 2011. Dist-upgrade, adjust some configs, more or less the same you do on a rolling release distro - just a bit less frequent.

I'm building a gaming/productivity computer. Which disto is best for gaming ?

Install gentoo.

OP, you should read up on Richard Stallman and the free software movement. Although eccentric in character his crusade against proprietary software is noble.
Without reviewing the code that your computer runs, how can you know it is acting as intended?

On a source based Linux distribution, you can review, modify and compile the underlying code of the programs you use! This is why I unironically recommend Gentoo as your introductory Linux distribution.
Installing Gentoo is an educational and enlightening experience that will reveal some of the features and complexities of a Linux system.

Me though, I'll stick with Debian.

Why Gentoo?

Vs as to opposed to Debian

Best distro for fun? Something friendly for a beginner?

>Without reviewing the code that your computer runs, how can you know it is acting as intended?
You can't, even when reviewing all code and bootstapping from a clean starting point, if you're using any CPU that has an ME (Intel), PSP (AMD) or a similar hardware backdoor.

The problem with GNU/Linux is that it's user base will never be truly unified. Nice conversations always devolve into shitflinging between autists. XFCE vs KDE. Ubuntu vs Manjaro. etc.

GNU/Linux is rock solid, and by far the best experience you can have on a computer, it's just we do nothing to sell it.

That being said, Debian + XFCE is the best. Anyone who doesn't agree is an autistic faggot.

*ubuntu

installation is idiot-proof

Unironically gentoo. I've been using it for last 3 months and I love it. Before I was using Arch, but gentoo is even better.

Attached: 61570667dee7f8461c5bb13bf13210d6bc7b03d895869f492d1b5f17e9b3e2cb.png (1901x1078, 1.25M)

Don't underestimate a windows user.

Attached: 1525412962432.jpg (495x600, 242K)

DEs are for retards.

>Without reviewing the code that your computer runs, how can you know it is acting as intended?
Au contraires mofraires. Slap a passive sniffer in betwixt said device and el weberino and you now have pir glow in the dark newklear like gamma ray vision. Perfectly flow-charted knock out list to tame any machine that may think it too big for its britches. Any ornery bewgers get into rejected in the host file or rules set.

>Linix

good one

Attached: download.png (224x225, 6K)

Xubuntu

How many hours it takes to update the entire system?

Debian.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1499731928058.png (575x561, 89K)

Mxlinux, the best Debian based distro without systemd. Also recommended for beginners.

There is no best, yes there are some shit ones, but most are good, the question you should be asking yourself is what you need it for. I use Xubuntu on my laptop for internet and typing shit that's all I need it for.

Ubuntu MATE

xfce god-tier DE

How is XFCE better than MATE?. I like MATE because it is like Gnome 2.

Attached: 1524775247439.png (191x173, 82K)

I enjoy the amount of customizable options, suits my needs while looking good.

I like arch. for a starter use Manjaro Linux. it's the arch core but has a baby installer that works great. sometimes packages get a little out of date but it's good to learn on.

the package managers in arch are so good it makes life easy af.

if noob install arch
if not noob install gentoo

alternatively if you're a giant faggot install manjaro

>Muh minimalism

Attached: muh.jpg (383x400, 19K)