ReactOS

Is it a meme or is it seriously meant to be an open source Windows alternative? Will it ever go beyond Windows XP compatibility -- in fact, will it ever REACH XP level?

Attached: ROS.jpg (1016x762, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reactos.org/wiki/AMD64),
jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7250
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgzMDg
reactos.org/node/728
reactos.org/node/794
reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14491
youtube.com/watch?v=Poya0NW5KJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=ipMf3PyDQQg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a meme.

fpbp, sadly.

Fuck the Russian government for not giving them any money.

not a meme, and already used where legacy systems aren't available anymore. mostly machines which got bundled with computers, which since have stopped working, even though the machines themselves are fine. nobody wants to buy a new cnc cutter, when the old one still perfectly works, just because the software doesn't run on anything anymore.
As long as these cases exist, ReactOS development will continue and it will eventually reach XP level. Development on compatibility which goes beyond is already being worked on.

will it *replace* windows for home users anytime soon/ever? unlikely, its use will be in cases, where vendor lock-in is present.

to 1

So it's a meme

Agreed, it's not a meme; the devs are quite serious about making it a Windows replacement. They just lack funding and probably manpower to get through the mountain of dev work that needs to be done for it.

>already used where legacy systems aren't available
>cnc cutters
you can't be serious, holy shit
the LAST thing i'd use for a CNC cutter is an OS that bluescreens every twenty minutes, has incredible installation issues on non-vitrual machines and gives no guarantee that nothing will be fucked up
that'd be just insane

this is, of course, assuming react works with both hardware and software – and not limited to cnc machinery. a lot of proprietary shit got bundled with old-ass windows installs. I'm not advocating using react. it's a crutch, only to be used as a last measure, however that last measure will be needed increasingly often as bundled hardware breaks.
A couple of crashes are preferable to throwing out perfectly functional machine costing tens of thousands of dollarydoos.

>A couple of crashes are preferable to throwing out perfectly functional machine costing tens of thousands of dollarydoos.
you gave a CNC as an example, but i don't think you've ever even seen one if you think they're thrown away just like that

but getting back to original point - no, ReactOS is NOT USED AS A REPLACEMENT anywhere, despite what you're claiming
also
>A couple of crashes are preferable to throwing out perfectly functional machine costing tens of thousands of dollarydoos.
fucking lol
i don't even know how to respond to that, honestly, you're so out of touch it's baffling
tip - ANY industrial machine that bluescreens every 20 minutes would be considered a health hazard and not allowed to function

pussy ass tripfag FILTERED

im no lawyer, but couldnt it get into trouble for emulating the look and feel of windown even if all the code is a clean room rewrite and doesnt infirnge any copyrights?
if apple could sue samsung for rounded corners, how is it legal for reactos to imitate the look of windows?
its hard for me to imagine that its essential to its functionality, if that is the pretext

In countries where software patents exists, yes.

That being said, free software windowmanagers and desktop environments ship with windows lookalike themes (usually called Redmond) and MS gives approximately 0 fucks.
They don't consider ReactOS or other free software an issue/threat.

It's a meme. I know people here are kind of mixed on Pale Moon, but I feel like the projet's maintainer put it really well

>I'm aftraid ReactOS has not had the pace it needs to become a viable alternative ever since they started. It took them 10 years to come to something that is still wholly incomplete and based on several-years-obsolete technology in its current state that nobody is still targeting as a (primary) platform. I've made a serious point to them a bunch of years ago that they should target NT6.* as kernel compatibility, but for some reason that has completely fallen on deaf ears

>all these anons ITT expecting ReactOS to become a fully modern Windows replacement
Folks, it was never supposed to be le super-duper do-everything nu-Windows like some of you seem to want it to be. It's mostly meant just to run older x86 Windows stuff, so your expectations are unrealistic. For me, I would just use it to run my olde 16/32-bit PC games. Others would just use it for nostalgia, or for the nice UI, or for running older non-game Windows-based software. It'll do exactly what it's meant to, exactly when the devs get around to it. And remember, it's open-source; you want something done for it, you do it yourself. Bitching and whining about things it doesn't yet do merely makes you look retarded.

>all these anons
you mean one dumb fuck that thinks it's already a replacement?

>It took them 10 years to come to something that is still wholly incomplete and based on several-years-obsolete technology in its current state

Because people could actually tolerate Windows 2000, XP and 7, so the incentive wasn't there. Now with Windows 8 proving itself to not just be "another Vista", 10 continuing to frustrate people, and with the rumors of Polaris, there's been quite a bit more interest in volunteers contributing to ReactOS.

>I've made a serious point to them a bunch of years ago that they should target NT6.* as kernel compatibility

NT6 kernel compatibility implies WDF support (among many other things). They've already gotten pretty far with their WDM implementation (the subsystem for 2000/XP/2003 driver compatibility). They have not started with WDF. It would be a massive undertaking. Note that NT6 kernel compatibility and NT6 application support are not quite the same thing. As of 0.4.8, ReactOS can already run some NT6 progams, similar to how Wine does it.

With the limited volunteer power and with how NT6 and WDF remain poorly documented, I think this strategy makes sense. The short-term goal is to perfect NT 5.x kernel compatibility while writing application layers to support NT6+ programs. Beyond general Win32 improvements, some of the main objectives include completing the 64-bit port (reactos.org/wiki/AMD64), implementing multithreading support (aka symmetric multiprocessing), completing all the networking and cryptographic components, and improving the WDM implementation. The end result would be something like a Server 2003 x64 or XP Pro x64 that is able to run Vista/7/10 programs with compatibility layer magic (largely thanks to the Wine codebase). Before anyone asks about DirectX 10/11 support, Wine will also take care of it. Hopefully most of this can be done before Windows 7 loses extended support.

>will it *replace* windows for home users anytime soon/ever? unlikely, its use will be in cases, where vendor lock-in is present.
So... home users? You're contradicting yourself.

>>I'm aftraid ReactOS has not had the pace it needs to become a viable alternative ever since they started. It took them 10 years to come to something that is still wholly incomplete and based on several-years-obsolete technology in its current state that nobody is still targeting as a (primary) platform.
This is correct.
>>I've made a serious point to them a bunch of years ago that they should target NT6.* as kernel compatibility, but for some reason that has completely fallen on deaf ears
This is idiotic.

>For me, I would just use it to run my olde 16/32-bit PC games.
ReactOS STILL does not support 16-bit Windows programs at all, and doesn't seem like it will soon.

>took them 10 years
I say it's impressive they could do it that fast with such a small team working only on their spare time.

it's slowly getting there

jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7250
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgzMDg
reactos.org/node/728
reactos.org/node/794
reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14491
youtube.com/watch?v=Poya0NW5KJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=ipMf3PyDQQg

Attached: reactos ntvdm.png (1024x768, 40K)

Let's say I was rich, how much money would they need to have it reach Windows XP levels

>new cnc cutter
Can't you retrofit a new controller into the machine?

Attached: 1522098132062.png (671x519, 146K)

that's hard to estimate. the challenge is you need systems programmers that are dedicated to learning the ins-and-outs of the windows internals and intel x86 architecture. very few are willing to spend their time to learn all this without getting paid. people prefer their cushy $100k+ C#/Java jobs. the few that actually do self-learn (or have previous experience as kernel programmers with linux) and work on reactos as volunteers, you need to contract them, which is what reactos foundation does with whatever funding they get.

the more important question you could ask yourself is, how did linux get to where it is? they've laid out a successful volunteer-based development model.

Why tho? It's probably easier to just install the new os. And retro fitting one would probably require a adapter to be made. People in China probably do it tho, go talk with the Chinese.

It was more of a if I hypothetically became a memecoin millionaire how much money would I need to throw at them anonymously to get the product

>t. American
There's plenty of unemployed or barely employed devs like that in Russia, the problem is that the ReactOS project has no money to pay them.

Linux has name recognition, and inertia from introducing the GPL (shudder) to the masses.

It did nothing to earn its volunteer contributions.

It will reach a normal win xp install state in like 20 years, then you have to wait another 20 for it to have the service packs

Attached: 1525333276631.png (588x412, 569K)

>GPL (shudder)
opinion discarded

Linux did just benefit of timing.
If it wasn't for the BSD lawsuit, Linux would have fallen into irrelevance right there and then.

ReactOS is an example of GNU/Linux's popularity killing small but good proyects.

Does reactos bluescreen every 20 minutes?

That's a very pessimistic view.
Another way to see it is that Linux is a neat containment project. People who are wasting time there will at least not waste helenos/genode/seL4/minix3/open|net|dragonflybsd|aros|haiku|9front's time.

So you're saying the world could have been spared the GPL virus if not for some fucking lawsuit?

That is... incredibly depressing, to say the least.

Yes.
You can thank lawyers for being scumbags.

That's pessimistic for me.
I would love a Haiku distro with a secure and powerful seL4 based kernel.
But nah, lets use this monolithic minix clone instead.

Bruh, I work for an MSP that has 20+ machine shops. Exactly 0 use ReactOS. I have more running off mini macs than this MemeOS.