Do you use a netbook?

Do you use a netbook?
Which one?
Are you happy with it?

Attached: P80505-021741.jpg (4000x3008, 3.01M)

I still have an EeePC 1000HE knocking about. It was great value for money, especially when I used it to get into Linux for the first time.

Now I have an HP Stream 13 and I'd argue that cloudbooks are the new netbook. Love it to death.

>Dunno if it's a netbook but it's comfy enough.
>ThinkPad X61t
>ofc, perfect for edc computing

>16GB of RAM
>i3 2x1.9 GHz
>hdd + msata ssd

Good enough for a netbook ;)

Attached: refurbished-lenovo-thinkpad-x131e-intel-core-i3-2367-1-40ghz-win-7-pro-newwynmarketing-1609-11-Newwy (1958x1094, 229K)

what is that computer, op? i want one for lectures.

Attached: 31084211_1566086816821961_4163027111847657472_n.jpg (399x369, 15K)

it's a GPD pocket but it seems like a pain in the ass for long typing sessions, just get a cheap ass 10 incher with a good battery

holy shit, they're expensive! yeah, not an option for me.

Attached: vida_press_7.09088064.jpg (811x1200, 168K)

looks neato. is that yours?
I use mine to write code, test some PLCs, and solidworks modeling.
Pretty goood, and I've ran a few games with no problems.

Yes
Cheapest 11" acer chromebook
Yes

Yeah it's mine.
Using it to consume media and learning Java.

Yes, Lenovo IdeaPad 120S. Small, light, slow as shit, infinite battery life, and it's pink. I love it.

I had an Acer netbook back in 2010-2012. It was my first PC and for what it was, it was decent. I don't remember the specs on it or even that computers had specs when I did have it, but I play minecraft on it and that was all that mattered to me. I remember I spilled a shit ton of soda on it and it still worked, though the keyboard got kinda fucked. But for a first computer, it wasn't bad, but it was kind of like a novelty thing to me then.

hows the battery life on that thing?

>netbook
hahahahahahahahaha

Toshiba NB-100
Had Kali Linux on it at one point until I fucked it up by trying to update the ancient glibc on it, can't be arsed installing anything else on it just yet.
Keyboard's a bit cramped for typing on and the battery is long since dead.
It was so-so, I suppose.

i used one in college. it got the job done. I guess i could go back to one these days since i have a home server that can handle the more powerful workloads ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Currently running a Thinkpad x131e 11.6" with i3/8gb/256gb ssd and it's great. Dunno if it is a netbook per say but it's a pretty solid system.

I have one too.
Perfect for my job being an a/v tech, walk around with that shit in my back pocket and test systems then go to the office and play cuphead all day

Attached: 1958CDD0-71F2-485D-A88D-06F8FE10AE75.jpg (4032x3024, 2.17M)

I got a HP Mini running Manjaro i3
I need to put an SSD in it but it does all I want it too. I love it

Have you tried ubuntu?
I'm debating on changing win10 to ubuntu, but i don't know

yes, when i got the GPD pocket i installed Ubuntu on my old netbook that this replaced and now i have to reflash a bios on it.
>my first attempt with linux and i brick my computer

6-12 hours
2-4 hours if playing vidya

I meant to ubuntu in the gdp pocket.
I haven't tried it because there were problems with the USB-C, bluetooth, and the battery.
Tho as mine is running windows, I haven't had any issues with the batteries and it even lasts longer than my main laptop.

Too small for me

slut

I have a t440p (12gb ram, i7 4800, 730m, 500gb hdd) and a r61 (cant remember the specs, not a powerful machine either way), I wouldnt consider either of them a notebook but the t440p is as portable as I'll need

T450 (i5, 8GB ram, 180gb SSD) for 280 cad.

Zero complaints at all.

How do you guys work with these small form factor screens? I can't even program on a regular sized laptop screen these smaller ones would be so annoying. I usually have to have the IDE + a design document or some literature about what i'm trying to implement next to it. No room for that on these screens.

Mine last around 8-10 hours per charge

the trick is to connect the laptop to a regular screen so you can use it as a desktop with external keyboard or mouse (or just get a desktop for serious work) and have a small laptop that is easy to carry around but still have (almost) all of the capabilities of a desktop computer

It's more of a convenient out and about thing, it does have HDMI and type c DP if you want to connect it to a screen at home.

this is too small. i dont see why i would need this as a programmer. you will need it to get shit done with mouseclicks . definitely now good for typing for long period of time

I ripped this one apart. Was pretty fun.

Attached: 0E9B90F6-6247-4DF3-819D-8AA0363C8C21.jpg (4032x3024, 1.69M)

it has a clit mouse...

Attached: pad-apple-pencil-ipad-pro-sleeve-780x519.png (780x519, 221K)

I just put liquid metal in mine.

Attached: P80505-201030.jpg (4000x3008, 3.49M)

I have a GPD pocket. It's great for traveling.

temps good?

Attached: IMG_20140507_231155 - Copy.jpg (1520x2688, 1011K)

no, i have a cheap 10" tablet with a bluetooth keyboard....

Attached: 9236414201886.jpg (1200x1200, 56K)

Yes, almost daily. It's an Asus Eeepc 1015CX

With the latest intel atom from the era they were complete dogshit. An intel atom N2600, cedar trail family, the last of its kind before baytrail that was actually good. It uses an update intel gma 500 (gma3600), so power vr graphics. The video drivers only work on windows 7. The cpu is dualcore but 32 bit only. The pc was sold as fanless, but in summers it gets hot like a damn bitch
Linux gpu 3d drivers since it's a gma 3600 with power vr graphics are non-existent

Wanna hear the funny thing? It was sold with ubuntu on it!

idling at 36 while streaming Spotify

Attached: temps.png (1920x1200, 287K)

I've got a HP netbook with a cracked screen, missing hinge, and no hdd or battery. I've been using it to break into wi-fi in my neighborhood. I'm surprised it hasn't caught fire yet.

Had an EeePC 1004HA, now an Asus x206 or something like that.
They both were a bit new for stable kernels when I bought them (i.e. missing drivers), but I'm very happy with them. I only write stuff in a text editor and use it to browse the web when I visit relatives though.

Cheap, small, decent battery. Does what it's supposed to do.

Isn't that a UMPC?

What model is that?
I recall those Asus eebooks but this doesn't look like it.

Gpd pocket

it has a touchscreen and I have a bluetooth keyboard for typing more than a few words. but i've gotten used to it. Its perfect for my work, but it's not for everyone.

yeah, after trying it on my ideapad and bricking it, I think im just gonna stick to windows on the Pocket.

Windows works better, I went back to w10 on my Pocket.

Better battery life, can auto detect headphones, doesn't randomly wake up from standby, type C hub works.

Also on Ubuntu the charging LED would blink when charging, whereas on windows it's a Solid Orange led.

Guhdamn that thing is beautiful

I wish I could think of a reason I'd use it so I can go buy one

What the fuck can you actually do with these aside from play games?

Literally anything you can do on any other laptop.

It's running a quad core Intel with 8GB RAM and 128GB storage.

>i3
Kek

>a/v tech
Do you do installs or are you a live sound/light/video guy?

100S-11iby owner here. I have two, one has a torched charge controller. got it for $40 for spare parts.

Z3700 series is decent in performance.

Beautiful? It looks like the worst kind of chink shit.

continuing to post the actual good netbook

Attached: IMG_20140517_155152 - Copy.jpg (2688x1520, 902K)

Installed a SSD on it, so it's pretty ok when I'm on the go.

Attached: 2018-05-06-014534_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 360K)

i will buy GPD pocket next if their next generation can manage to include hades canyon spec

>holy shit, they're expensive! yeah, not an option for me.
Poor fuck, I know you're in college aka stupid but $500 in a drop in the bucket for an aluminum UMPC

but the gdp is shit

sony vaiois are shit. The 2 that I've owned I've regretted deeply.

The battery in the gpd has almost twice the capacity of the Nintendo switch even though they're both 7 inch devices with active cooling solutions.
It's a piece of engineering genius is what the gpd pocket is, the keyboard could have been a bit better though.

to;dr you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

WRONG everything from china is shit, regardless of how good it seems

You do realise that the majority of consumer and business goods are from China, don't you?

Anyone heard of pic related? I was going to get the GPD Pocket but the Gemini PDA apparently has a 4G modem and also supports Linux.

Attached: gemini-pda-header2.jpg (770x433, 46K)

Are those things very expensive?

You are agreeing with him then

that's a pretty stupid assumption for you to make

i would buy one if it were like $200, not fuckng $500 for intel atom chink tablet specs

>m-m-m-m-MUH SPEICKSSSS
lol yeah me too I'd buy an imac and an ipad if they were like $5 each in my fantasy world where everything benefits me lol

it's also underpowered. you could just get a gpd, install linux and get a usb 4g modem if you really cared

Isn't that running on the outdated Mediatek Hello X20???
Why would you get that over the GPD Pocket?

>Mediatek CPU, Deca Core ARM
>4GB RAM
>64GB Storage
>599 EUR

What advantages does something like this have over the GPD Pocket that makes it more expensive?

From the Specs sheet it seems much worse. Smaller battery, No video out port, No clit, Half as much RAM, Half as much storage. Why?

what kind of hard drive enclosure and usb hub are those?

Got an IdeaPad S10e with Haiku on it. Hardware is shit but it'll run for 8 hours on battery and can take a beating. Good deal for free.

The GPD Pocket seems to be a laptop replacement, while the Gemini PDA seems to be a smartphone replacement and is actually much smaller than the GPD Pocket.

Seeing how it's ARM shit, it probably guzzles much less power than the x86-64 CPU in the GPD Pocket.

I think the form factor alone makes it more expensive, and it's probably why people care about the thing. The Pocket is a tablet and the PDA is a smartphone.

i am surprised pdas aren't more popular, the size of them is perfect. honestly, you may as well get a cheapass thinkpad instead of the gpd pocket since it is still way too big for anyone to use it without looking like an autist in public. it is literally a tablet with a keyboard slapped on at a stage where keeping them seperate isn't an issue unlike in the geminis case

Attached: 1518253509798.png (488x463, 59K)

But Smartphones exist...

The GPD Pocket targets a Niche that is small but exists, the Gemini PDA targets a Niche that no longer exists due to smartphone technology. At least the GPD pocket can run almost every x86_64 program.

You think you're clever, don't you?

Is netbook a meme?

Are you describing a x230?

I think you missed his point.

The Gemini PDA is small enough to be a laptop in a smartphone form factor. The GPD Pocket is small enough to be a laptop in a tablet form factor.

That's probably why the former is pretty fucking expensive, even if it has worse specs. Nobody is going to use the Gemini PDA to do smartphone shit, or even PDA shit actually, that's probably just nostalgia marketing.

The real problems with the Gemini PDA is its lack of mouse, a lack of backlight, and a garbage USB-C configuration that requires a proprietary HDMI cable because MediaTek is retarded.

Oh, and it has NO MAINLINE KERNEL SUPPORT. The biggest kick in the nuts.

>Haiku
>8 hours
that sounds great. would you consider it stable? i know it's in alpha, but how's the experience?

I think he's clever. Don't you?

saw price $399 indiegogo, $599 retail
thought it's cheaper like eeepc :(

Attached: 1513186195118.png (240x240, 24K)

Alpha, at present, is just getting blockers done for the first beta release. Most nightlies are stable, though there are exceptions - one I tried a few months back simply couldn't do networking. You rarely ever get dropped into kernel debugging land nowadays, though application crashes are not uncommon.
The lack of hardware OpenGL hurts also, but on machines like that it's not like doing it on the CPU is going to make anything much slower.

Don't you?

smartphones are annoying, gotta connect an external keyboard to them for the same functionality

Just unironically bite the ThonkPod bullet and get an X220/X230. Nobody needs these little laptops for actual work, it's mostly hobby stuff.

Personally a bigger fan of the ProBook 2170p, or if you want the potential to upgrade to a quad core the 2570p.

Blind retard fuck

Yes.
Compaq Mini CQ-10 400
Yes. Although it would be extremely painful to use if it weren't for linux and umatrix.

Attached: hpCQ10.jpg (600x453, 37K)

No, but I use a 11.6 inch HP Stream as a sort of modern day netbook.
A dual code Celeron, 4GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage are kind of awful for Windows 10, but with Linux it's pretty good, with about 9 hours of battery life.

Attached: HP-Stream-11-front-669x501.jpg (669x501, 35K)

live sound/lights video.. but i've gone full time corporate for a big company and it is mostly maintaining crestron systems with the occasional ball room event.

nah, its actually really nice. i'm super happy with my purchase.

I have the same hard drive case

what is it?

no i don't but i want one that's 13" or less and doesn't feel like consumer garbage.
someone recommended the XPS on here before (i know it isnt a netbook) but i checked it out and the keyboard felt as shitty as all the other chiclets out now

How is the performance of the embedded memory? I was researching about eMMC memory and learned that its performance is not nearly as good as other solid-state drives. How much time does it take for your system to boot up?