>there are people on this board right now who never ever used tapes in their lives

Attached: TDK-SA-90-23-04-2011.jpg (800x509, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA
youtube.com/watch?v=yk8v9Ijp1So
theverge.com/2017/4/5/15168340/lossless-audio-music-compression-test-spotify-hi-fi-tidal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

all the hipster subculture stuff aside, I'm glad they're still an option. I have a friend who makes music and it's much more affordable for him to do tape runs than vinyl presses. People are more likely to spend the $8-$12 for your tape than whatever it is you ask for a vinyl (usually more).

LTFS is also an excellent, reliable, long term cold-storage option for data.

>sound suddenly turning muffled, slowly moving to the left channel and gradually introducing crinkling noises

Attached: 45737.jpg (492x509, 18K)

well what can I say... lucky bastards

Oh come the fuck on, it wasn't that bad at all.

Nostalgia is hell of a thing.

They'll never know the magic of auto reverse.

Attached: cassette-tape-auto-reverse1.gif (448x251, 1.58M)

Yeah, I remember these. Kindly never, ever bring these things back. Fucking awful for music, fucking awful for games/data.

Has your friend ever heard of 'a computer'? I hear they record hours and hours of stuff... for free!

More like you bought only the cheapest fucking shit.
My old AIWA walkman never gave me trouble and neither did my Technics tapedeck.

The same people haven't even used msdos, 56k internet speed, vhs, irc and a phone like a phone. I can't realize how these people even capable to use a fucking door.

I still have the tape version of harry potter movie 1
Good times that will never come back...

Technology nostalgia is fucking retarded.

Old technology was utterly shit. What may look cool, was actually a half-working, buggy, internet-less piece of shit with 4k of memory, unreliable storage devices, god-awful keyboards, worse mice, and usually fucking beige.

Never, ever bring those days back.

>not just reversing the playback direction
>absolute state of akai

W..wait...people don't use them anymore?!

Attached: IMG_5415.jpg (2016x1512, 878K)

Not in everything. Audio actually got worse. Now we have mp3 and people incapable to realize good sound and music.

he sells the tapes he doesn't record to them you dolt.

now we have half-working, buggy, bloated botnets.
progress is delicious

Tapes were a bad and fragile technology and i don't reminisce on them being gone.
I do miss manual rollers on car doors sometimes though.

>I do miss manual rollers on car doors sometimes though
i drive a vehicle with these and only found it annoying that i can't control the passenger-side window while driving, because i would have to lean over

We had Vinyls, DAT, even CDs was better. People had actual sound system in their houses. Hi Fi amps and speakers. Now these days are gone. Audio fidelity is dead.

Attached: sony-rootkit-386x502.jpg (386x502, 49K)

This is some Rube Goldberg autoreversing.
All you have to do is have one additional roller and mehanism that flips the header

whatever, nerd. my tapes sound amazing.
learn to set up a deck.

So did mine, in 1986.

because rgb leds on everything and gaming cosmetics are so much better

>Old technology was utterly shit.
>usually fucking beige.

It checks out that the person who holds these beliefs cares what color box the actual technology is contained in. You used to be able to use the internet with a few MB of RAM. Now you have several GB but you're required to rent it to Google, Microsoft, and the NSA.

Wouldn't CDs be a hell of a lot cheaper and better?

hey cool, I can see my post from there

he does CD and digital release as well. those are good for large runs, the reason for doing tapes and vinyl is usually to artificially inflate the value by saying 'oooh its only 1 of 100 made' that type of thing.

So, if you record a blank tape from the '80s now, on a well-maintained '86 deck using a lossless audio source or even 320kbps mp3, you will end up with a recording superior to anything you or any recording house could have ever put to tape in 1986, and it will sound pretty damn good.

tapes made after about 1998 are all generally pretty bad, most of the companies that made them switch to much cheaper sources of the magnetic tape, so TDKs and Maxells and Sonys after a certain year are all literally the same tape, and it's bad-sounding more-or-less on purpose, since CD was king.

so basically if you bought and recorded or listened to a recorded tape made any time in the last 20 years, it was the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of quality.The technology can sound much better when people try.

Hate to break it to you bro, but technology these days is still shit.

In the very early 2000s, I would connect my laptop's audio to my dad's tape deck and record my MP3s onto tapes so I could listen to them in my car. Eventually, though, I got an MP3 player and used a tape adapter.

I also have a bunch of books on tape that I still listen to once in a while, though I can only do this at home since my current car doesn't have a tape player.

They were trash and having to carry a god damn bic pen everywhere to go back to the start of it was retarded.
Thank god that shit died they always got fucked over a while, same with VHS all my kamen rider black RX episodes are full of graphical artifacts because of that.

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

Attached: 1457964781901.gif (400x300, 1.99M)

People who want audio cassette are like foot and fart fetishist. There's something generally damaged in their brains.

>tfw a group of people on the internet who were born in the 80s and 90s acting like fucking grandpas is slowly becoming more of a reality each year
>tfw they have nothing but literally their age to brag about
>tfw their community and behaviour is probably going to become a meme for younger generations to laugh at in a few decades
kek
t. 24.01.2018

I barely used them and i'm 27
time flies, user

HE'S FAST

Attached: WHAAA.gif (420x420, 1010K)

Attached: Generals_Supreme_pencil_No_1_1024x1024.jpg (1024x1024, 34K)

>the chad crappy headphones
>emits sound a mile away from your ears so everyone around you is able to listen
>grabs you by the hair when you put them off
Those were the days

>bic pen
WTF. Why? Every casette player in existence had rewind and fast forward buttons. The player needed a motor to run the tape anyway, so these buttons just drove the motor faster with the azimuth off. That you needed a bic pen is absurd, because either your player motor was OK and you were able to listen to music and also rewind, or else the motor was broken and your player was useless.

To save on batteries when you are out with a walkman.

youtube.com/watch?v=yk8v9Ijp1So

>being a poorfag
>not rewinding at home

that is because some people never back up their data.

Attached: commodore.jpg (1280x960, 164K)

They were shit and I'm glad they're dead. I remember when MP3 became a thing, many people rushed to it because CDs and cassettes were garbage. Yes, the quality suffered, but it was pure freedom, something you basedboy hipsters don't seem to understand in tech and in politics.

Attached: cassette.png (1559x877, 1.97M)

He's a millennial who never actually used a cassette player.

You don't have to rewind cassettes.
When you reached one end you simply reversed it and played the other side (if your player didn't have auto reverse).

You did need a pencil or pen when the tape got fucked because you were too much of a sperg when trying to eject it.

>there are people on this board right now who don't know the difference between Dolby B and C

do these count?

Attached: SONDVM80PRL.jpg (240x240, 8K)

The shit thing about tapes, the only shit thing, was forward-winding to the track you wanted, and then having to go back and forth to get to the start.

Mind you, the format forced you to listen to more of the album. Not necessarily a bad thing.

still using LTO-6, will migrate to LTO-7 soon

Cheapest walkmans used to have only fast forward due to simplification. Only one "axle" was powered. If you wanted rewind, you flipped cassette and ff'ded other side.
Thinking men carried two spare batteries. You weren't obviously one of them

b-but muh deterioration of head

The only reason to use a pen or a pencil was to wind the tape back in when this happened. Anyway tapes were shit. I don't miss the piss poor sound quality, decks breaking all the time, having to change belts, clean the heads, keeping giant boxes full of cassettes...fuck all that. Leave it in the past.

Attached: audio-cassette-with-tape-spilling-out-AAW63D.jpg (1300x983, 208K)

>windows 10
>Internet Explorer AND chrome

What

I bought pic related to store my dad's old soviet music digitally but I'm not really sure how to automate the process. It's pretty obvious that I will have to switch cassettes myself but how could I automatically stop recording process in software? I have SSD in my laptop so leaving the player run when I go to uni is not an option unless I create some kind of switch to deal with this. I suppose I could just write a python script that stop recording after some period of time.

Attached: USB-Cassette-Capture-Recorder-Radio-Player-Tape-to-PC-Super-Portable-USB-Cassette-to-MP3-Converter.j (710x710, 130K)

Don't you talk audiophile to me.

No need, my fingers are enough.

You're talking out of your ass, son.

kek

Attached: 1523430062405.jpg (600x386, 165K)

>BWAAAAA WHY WONT PEOPLE TODAY USE THE SAME FORMAT I USED

I also remember when sony shipped rootkits with their audio CDs.

Seriously though.
I still have a ton of tapes, but I already moved them over to my hard drive.
It's not really that I liked the medium, but more what was released on them.

Attached: 1510655389203.jpg (500x492, 34K)

definitely not. That lad is right.
The exact same thing happened with floppy disks and tape reels. When manufacturers transitioned to the new (more profitable) formats they dropped the quality to make consumers switch by making them believe that the new format was 1000x better

I recorded two maxell ur90s full of eurobeat last week cause my clonker has a cassette player, no cd, aux or usb.

Yeah it's exactly what made people switch from using 450 floppies to one cd-rw disk.

But double stereo heads were expensive back then. It was cheaper to make the flip back mechanism than to put expensive heads on a stereo.

STOP

Post feet

that, and most people that are serious music collectors either collect all digital/no physical, or only collect some kind of analogue form of physical media. there's really no reason to collect CDs since they sound identical to flac files, where as analogue media like vinyl and cassette have a unique signature sound.

I actually worry about this a lot. There are shitloads of people in our society who were born into a realm where the internet just works magically. We used to have to fight tooth and nail just to get a 48kbps connection. Everything is taken for granted so much now in technology. Understanding the dark underbelly of what makes all of this work may only possible with a historical perspective of how it all came to be in the first place.

If you want another example, take a look at javascript frameworks. We have built layers on top of our technology layers such that we have armies of developers who dont even know what vanilla javascript is anymore or how to go about developing in it. If you go to university to learn how to make a website today, you are more than likely going to get sucked into a nodejs SJW fagathon :^) because that is all that the current generation understands. At this point, you are 100% dependent on someone like google (angular) to keep you alive.

I think the theme as we move into this technology revolution is that we are piling on abstraction layers faster than people can reason with and absorb/reject them. Only the people who have been here since the beginning have an absolute perspective upon which to evaluate all the shit we keep seeing.

Yes, this. Annoying, fragile, garbage. I don't even waste my time with cd's anymore, and they're a thousand times more convenient than cassettes ever were.

Well most likely they record cassettes from digital source anyway

>I do miss manual rollers on car doors sometimes though.
This and those little vent windows that you could open when it was raining and not get soaked with wind driven rain. Also:
>modern car with power windows
>open window during rain storm
>rain pours in all over the power switches

>Why?
Oldfag here, the reason you needed a pen or pencil was because carrying cassettes around caused backlash in the tape with every bump or vibration. The slack in the reel almost always meant death. FF/RW was like playing Russian roulette and not a wise choice in trying to fix the situation.

I used a Datasette with my C64 way into the 90's.
But some years ago I indeed made backups of my C64 tapes since my Datasette broke trying to test the old tapes.

So I finally saved my own crappy programming attempts and my original games using a stereo and a MacBook with the software UberCassette (and I later cleaned up the .tap files with FinalTap via Wine). Sadly not all tapes could be saved.

my first computer, green screen poorfag version.
once i got the disk drive, the thought of loading tapes filled me with disgust

Attached: adcpc464.jpg (1166x824, 176K)

>shadman

>SA90

good choice. i bought a ton of type 4 metal tapes from some lady on CL years ago for cheap because she didnt know what she had

Attached: SDC11694.jpg (1024x768, 728K)

fun coincidence. the ipod classic is rougly the same dimeonsions as a cassette

Attached: ipodcassette_small.jpg (1200x1261, 439K)

It even sounds like shit. At least Vinyl has a point.

Did applel do this on purpose?

who knows. probably not

Attached: IMGP8192(IPOD).jpg (3987x2848, 2.15M)

No, the iPod classic has a 2.5 HDD instead of solid state memory which is why it's at that size. It's merely a coincidence.

I am a hardcore digital fag, but I can see the argument for vinyl as a playback experience. Analog recording onto magnetic media is just sad though.

You see some of the things jony ive is influenced by and it really makes you wonder

Attached: 16fc867df66f01402551d4c9898fddec.jpg (863x712, 134K)

Memories of roadsides past.

Attached: cassettetapedetritus.jpg (1024x768, 697K)

>there are people on this board right now who never ever used punch cards in their lives

Attached: 0.jpg (1687x809, 376K)

I grew up poor so I was always a generation behind with music players.

>used a stereo and walkman to record and play tapes copied from the radio when everyone else had cd players
>was making bootleg cds when everyone else had mp3 players
>had a 2GB mp3 player when everyone else had ipods
>had an ipod and a dumbphone when everyone else had iphones

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Attached: IMG_9380.png (638x677, 809K)

No, there aren't. Stop being a baiting fag end.

I still have a box full of my old tapes.
I have no use for them but I also have no heart to throw them away. How fast do they deteriorate? Can a 30 year old tape be played and enjoyed or will it be torture?

tfw born too early to experience true vr...

Attached: fugg.jpg (357x354, 12K)

Fellow lagging behind master race I see. Makes you appreciate what you have more when you finally upgrade to the next gen.

I have 20y/o tapes that still sound great.
On some tapes with very silent passages, you can slightly ear sound from the next layer of tape though.

That's good to know, thanks! Mine are reaching 20-25 years old and I was wondering if one day I might buy a player and enjoy them again. I'll keep them for now, time will tell.

They have 1.8" drives

...Why not just rotate the head? That would be so much simplier

Oh I had similar thing on a little Atari

>We had Vinyls, DAT, even CDs was better.

Spotify Lossless is coming soon

theverge.com/2017/4/5/15168340/lossless-audio-music-compression-test-spotify-hi-fi-tidal

Attached: g033AVX3300-o_detail.jpg (3000x1950, 633K)