/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=Xzn4MQnngT4

>Thread theme (also unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=E36qMxXGo3A

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cPITpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAuARwi

previous thread:

Attached: casio_ad.png (652x850, 417K)

Post watches on gfs wrist.

Attached: IMG_20180504_191420.jpg (4160x3120, 3.41M)

Post nice watches.

Attached: REALLY NICE.jpg (3864x2898, 2.72M)

>shit op again

Attached: 1524892096554.png (619x828, 25K)

Sorry you can't see a different OP image user.
Next time I will let windy or tudor fag make the thread.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.37M)

buy your poor gf a new t-shirt, user. dressing a lady in rags and then using her as a model for your ugly watches is deplorable.

At least windy doesn't always use his meme pictures for op. You two faggots are the worst.

Is it really that much trouble not to use the exact same image 5x per week?

do you not have any other images of watches you could use?

Windy always takes or finds original images

It's her pajama, I couldn't care enough for her to wear something fancy for a pic.

it's been one week, and my vintage Citizen is still going strong. It's pretty small and the lume on it seems to be fake(doesn't glow at all/), but it's fine otherwise, loses only something like 20 seconds a day and the day date works correctly. It also has arabic versions of the names of the weeks under it. Guess how much I payed for it.

Attached: IMG_20180504_212054.jpg (3120x4160, 1.45M)

Your thoughts on:

Bell&Ross
Raymond Weil

Do they produce great watches worth considering?

I wouldn't consider either of those brands.

Attached: Capture+_2018-05-04-20-09-16.png (1176x1621, 1.87M)

here's a better pic of it. This was the entry level Citizen lineup, which was the competitor of the Seiko 5 line

Attached: IMG_20180504_212742.jpg (3120x4160, 1.84M)

What are some other brands worth considering then

>Post watches on gfs wrist.
implying any of us have girlfriends

Can you guys give me a recommendation for a preferably automatic watch (manual wind works too), budget 300€, not too bulky?

Should work with a suit if possible. I was considering pic related (the 37mm version).

Attached: seagull-1963-img_0094[1].jpg (1920x1363, 324K)

MODS
Fucking ban this faggot already or can you just fuck off back to Jow Forums already I'm sick of seeing your washed up grotty gf

Attached: Capture+_2018-03-29-20-35-22.png (1090x1447, 2M)

In what price range?

Ah yes, the shitposter trifecta, Casios Gang, Tudor male and Windyknob

give it back, tyrone.

Oh and vintage watches work too, but I think that will break the budget most likely.

I got this Bell&Ross homage that like a lot, it's a cool look

Attached: IMG_20180322_164108.jpg (3120x4160, 1.62M)

23rd for applied minute indices and snowflake dial

Attached: 20180504_083024-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.97M)

won't help, he'll just come back, my hope is that he relapses, but who knows, maybe then his shitposting will only intensify

Also what about Federique Constant?

Regarding Rolex, I understand. While I like their approach to watchmaking, I don't feel drawn to their designs much at all (except the normal Daytona). But their build quality is definitely not something that anyone can question.

When it comes to 'putting' on the watch, that comes from a personal experience of mine that was definitely 'earth-shattering', at least for me. When I was younger I really wanted a modern Speedmaster automatic day-date. It's reduced in size, but I liked it simply because of the complexity. I'd see it in watch store windows, or in the glass case, and quietly drool over the thought of buying a single watch and never needing another.

Then one day I had the courage to try it on....and it looked awful on my wrist. Just fucking terrible. And it was a disappointment, to be sure; in my mind's eye it was a great watch, but on the wrist it didn't 'fit' somehow. And I couldn't 'square the circle', so I lost interest, and looked into other possibilities.

When you're going to spend thousands of dollars on something you'd like to wear for more than 5 years of your life, then you actually have to go out of your way to try on as many watches in your price-range as possible. Furthermore, you need to make the effort to try on watches that you don't like in pictures or on websites, because just like a watch that you know may disappoint you in real life, a watch you don't like might surprise you in a good way when you wear it.

So, go to a mall or a high street with expensive watch stores, and have an afternoon of trying shit on. It's fun as hell, as long as you are clear with the people in the store about your budget so they don't think you're just wasting their time (which, in some respects, you are).

You can't go wrong with Rolex or Omega in terms of build quality or movement if buying new. With other companies, they'll generally be using modified ETA movements at this price bracket.

Attached: P5070011.jpg (1024x768, 75K)

Having an underage fuck buddy who is going through an "experimental" phase doesn't count as gf
He'll stop posting her once she inevitably leaves him

Attached: saddamMS2909_468x328.jpg (468x328, 54K)

FC is fine in my books.
Maybe Nomos?

>4000
Tudor's in-house models
Grand Seiko
Pre-owned Rolex models
Nomos DUW caliber models, if you can stand the long lugs
Damasko's in-house models
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

My Seagull is awesome but it's definitely not a watch I would wear with a suit, though I did wear mine to a funeral a few months ago.

Maybe try Tisell? Or perhaps another Chinese company?

Attached: Oriented correctly - Copy.jpg (3216x4288, 2.06M)

Do you realize casio fag and windy are two different people? That's not windy's gf in the first post

Shes 25 and we live together so I doubt she'll be leaving anytime soon.

Here's another pic of the Citizen with the arabic version of Saturday selected in the day-date window. What do you guys think of it?

Attached: IMG_20180504_213437.jpg (4160x3120, 1.68M)

Casio, Windy, ^_^ and Tudor are all one person.

Attached: fFyiDlJKc7tjtvqtdMBYqa0nYvKJ7E5fGFd41DxXoBE.jpg (1024x768, 130K)

How come both of they're gf's wear rags all the time

Why does /wt/ have more shitposting per capita than pretty much any other board/general?

One really autistic shitposter is all you need.

nope

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.26M)

>One really autistic shitposter
Who?

Attached: DSC00069.jpg (3864x2898, 2.5M)

Attached: 6_002-1.jpg (1431x954, 860K)

Because there are a couple of faggots who perma-troll these threads literally for 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week, to the tune of hundreds of shitposts a day.

It's not so bad on desktop where there are effective ways to filter the vast majority of their garbage, but on mobile it's pretty annoying.

Here's a list of /wt/ shit posters:
Windy
Tudor
Casio
Archie / TGV posters
Seiko vs others finishing posters

Some could argue the last on my list are not shitposters, but once they get going they will ruin the whole fucking thread.

Thank you for your good advides and your thoughts. What are your thougts on Vacheron Constantin and are there any watches in my price range that are actually great and worth its price in the same way you're describing Omega and Rolex?

Nomos is what my friend wears and I think it's cool. You're right I have been considering them too

>Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch
I respect it, and I love its history being on the moon missions. But it's too big and busy, I don't want it (at this time). Looking for something more everyday-dressy at this time.

>everyone who posts in /wt/ is a shitposter

Attached: Untitled.jpg (333x378, 23K)

>Some could argue the last on my list are not shitposters, but once they get going they will ruin the whole fucking thread.

No, he is a shitposter. Once you've seen him pull the exact same song and dance routine 20+ times it becomes obvious what he's doing. I stopped replying to him seriously months ago.

Also keep in mind that some of the perma-trolls cycle through various put on identities and switch whenever people stop feeding them (You)s, so it's probably only two or three morons that do the vast majority of the shitposting.

Whos your favourite shit poster?
Besides yourself.

could you make a list of nonshitposters? seems it might be shorter!

Isn't it hilarious how easy it is to be turned off by a watch once you're told it's intended for women, even if it doesn't have any particularly feminine characteristics? A lot of times I've seen vintage watches, sovietshit and swiss, that look good and are cheap but are technically for women. Modern models too.

You don't wear any women's watches, do you /wt/?

I have to ask about Tudor. I see so many giving shout outs to Tudor, that it is worth consdering for people to buy. Is it just me who think they are basically a non-brand? Not only do their watches look ugly, but really WHO are they? What the heck am I missing about these watches?

>Whos your favourite shit poster?
Whoever it is that comes on here and goes insane about seiko finishing and rages at tool marks on the side of the hands of a watch when magnified 100x cracks me up, not sure he means to though

>once you're told it's intended for women

I wear watches I like.
If I can't immediately tell it's intended for women, it's free game imo and I would wear it if I liked it enough.

do you have any where the girls are crying and begging them to stop?

Nothing, that's exactly what I've tried to tell the shitposters too. It's mostly one guy with a chinese knock-off tudor that keeps posting shit.

Tudor is a side brand for Rolex. They make watches that look /like/ Rolex watches, but technically aren't and go for a lot less. There's nothing special about the name, and are literally made to be inferior to the regular rolex movements. If someone wants a luxury watch, they should either go for the real thing or save up for something else, because it's stupid to go halfway like Tudor owners do.

Honestly I couldn't care less. Lots of Jow Forums posters have wives or girlfriends. It's not a big deal.
If I want to see them I'll go to /s/, /soc/ or even /b/ for fucks sake

Attached: silvio-the-sopranos3.jpg (650x360, 85K)

Can you post ones where the girl is really into it, maybe even dirty talking?

Three or so, but they don't get a lot of wrist time. There's some interesting tech to be found in how companies shrank down movements to fit in smaller cases.

Attached: 20180317_142557-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.54M)

?????

I love Vacheron Constantin, but their watches are far above that price range I think. If you're going 4000 or less, then you're still considered in the 'mid-tier' of mechanical watches, and if you're not going to save up and spend more, then you really have to think carefully about value for your money. I'm not saying that you should save up and spend 50,000 on a watch...what I'm saying is that until you cross the 10,000 point, there are going to be A LOT of similarities between the watches in terms of what they can do and how reliable they are.

One thing I didn't mention, but is a very important question to ask yourself, is why are you interested in buying a mechanical? Is it for the reputation/history of a company? Is it for the technical merit of a great movement? Is it for advances made in horology? Because once you've gone through the process of convincing yourself that even though a quartz 20$ watch can tell time more accurately than a 4000 mechanical, you still want the mechanical, then you have to start considering the question of which movement do you want, which innovation do you want? And of course all the questions that come along with that: Are you okay with accepting a watch that isn't particularly accurate if the aesthetics are awesome? Or conversely, would you buy a watch that is somewhat ugly but is mechanically superior to others?

This is why the Rolex/Omega issue comes up in your price range, essentially. The Rolex movements are universally respected, not only by people who own them by by a surprising number of people who work in the watch industry in other companies. It's mass-produced precision, which is in many respects unique in our world. You'll get a movement that won't let you down.
With Omega, if you're buying new, then you'll be looking into the Co-axial movements, which are considered an improvement over the older movements, and as they've been out for long enough now, the flaws have been corrected. cont.

Attached: Black date.jpg (717x538, 60K)

What a silly opinion. Tudor makes good quality watches, now with in-house movements every bit the technical equals of a Rolex 31xx, and sells them at an attractive pricepoint. Modern in-house Tudor's are well worth considering on their own merits, totally irrespective of the historical association of the brand with Rolex.

Why does it cost so little when the chinese produce it? Is it because the movement even when produced the exact same, is worth so little that you just as well could buy a seiko?

Find me another swiss watch with an in-house movement for the price of a tudor

Not showing the cuck, please? Turns me off :/

Because Seiko is more respectable, has more of an identity, and they look better too.

God honest truth.

Alas, another thread ruined

Attached: 1476588756880.jpg (1080x1080, 192K)

With Omega, you're buying the movement, the 'advances' to the movement, and you're settling for finishing that is average but not spectacular, and also for a name that isn't as universally known as Rolex.

When you go to other brands like Tag Heuer, Oris, Bell and Ross, Frederique Constant, etc etc. you have a situation where many of them use ETA movements as their base, and modify these movements to make their own. Yes, they're accurate, but for the most part, you're paying for the aesthetics of the watch that you like, but they won't be as hardy as a Rolex in their movement and they won't be as technologically advanced as Omega (specifically with regards to the co-axial vs. traditional ETA).

Granted, these are all GENERALISATIONS and should be taken as such.

If you want more specific answers, then you have to find a way to narrow down the watches you want to 5 or 6. Then people here would be able to give you more specifics i.e. this movement is more reliable than that one or don't buy this because they've been known to have issues.

So, in short, why do you want another mechanical? What do you want out of it? Is it something that is supposed to affect your social status in a good way? Is it something that is just for you, where you don't care what anyone else thinks of it? etc...lots of questions, which only you can answer.

Attached: Not of light..jpg (799x800, 185K)

>posting pictures of your partner on Jow Forums repeatedly, day after day

Just got this as my first Casio. Looking to wear it during my exams. How did I do my niggers?

Attached: IMG_20180505_003531.jpg (720x721, 48K)

post a pic you took and not a stock image and then ill believe u

Actually really well.
The regular f-91w is better bang for the buck, but at this range it does not really matter.

Well, guess what this watch:
is a mechanical too. I paid 12€ for it. If around 4k is still midrange, what do you call my watch?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-04-22-06-41-490_com.ebay.mobile.png (1080x1920, 687K)

The price range I was referring to is taking into account brand new watches that you're buying from an authorized dealer. In other words, if you walk into an Omega boutique, that's what you'll be getting in that price range.

As I said in an earlier post, when vintage watches and second-hand watches are taken into account, the options blossom, but then you have to take into account other hidden costs (servicing, repair, etc.), and the amount of research required increases exponentially in order to make sure you don't waste money or get ripped off.

I'm glad you got a good deal on a Citizen automatic day-date. Wear it in good health.

Attached: P2140112.jpg (4288x3216, 2.78M)

Attached: lemania timelapse 002.webm (960x540, 2.38M)

I ordered it from Amazon today. I'll post as soon as I'll get my hands on it. Sorry to bother.
The regular was too regular by my taste and I feel like I'll bang it on a door or something on the very first day, so I got the one with the metal case. Also I saw a few guys over here drooling over it.

So, the master co-axial is very good, is that how I should understand your posts?

>why do you want another mechanical? What do you want out of it? Is it something that is supposed to affect your social status in a good way? Is it something that is just for you, where you don't care what anyone else thinks of it? etc...lots of questions, which only you can answer.
Yes, I definitely want to buy watches for me and myself first and for all. But at the same time, several of my closest friends are very fond of watches too, and thus it's also a social thing. I have worn the Tag a lot for the last 10 years, on and off, so I can testify that I can wear something I like for myself, even if others don't like it (lol), but as a social human, with friends who like watches too I am prone to care to some extent what they think. Mechanical? Yes I want mechanical because I just love the idea of a watch being mechanical. Something about quarts, they just don't give me the same pleasure.

>Black Bay 58
>Gold Bezel/Indices

All Steel BB58 when? Reeeeeeeee

Attached: Tudor-58-Gear-Patrol-Slide-1-1940x1300.jpg (1940x1300, 221K)

nth for best Speedmaster

Prove me wrong and I'll send you some XLM or ADA your choice w/ provided wallet address

Attached: XBtLq6J.jpg (2954x2666, 1020K)

If it doesn't have a Caliber 321 or 1045 in it, it's not even in the running for the title of best Speedmaster. The 321s are for the horological history buffs, 1045s are for the technical merit autists.

Attached: .jpg (2814x2286, 1.44M)

it's not even yellow gold, it's rose gold

The Co-axial is considered an improvement to the traditional lever escapement, and if the movement has been serviced properly, it should provide an improvement in timekeeping. The Master co-axial is something that Omega started doing in 2015; they are simply testing their watches to tighter tolerances, and probably firing a warning shot to COSC in the process as well. So far, there is nothing wrong with master co-axials; but be aware that servicing a co-axial movement requires trained expertise, which means that you're likely going to have it serviced by Omega and not by an independent watchmaker (which would be cheaper), as there are few independents who are trained in co-axials.

The social aspect is actually far more complex than you might give it credit for. Do you want to get a watch that no one else has or knows about? Is social exclusivity something that matters to you? Or the opposite perhaps? Do you want to get a watch that 'fits in' nicely with the expectations of the people you spend time with? Those things can affect your choices in purchasing as well, not necessarily for the better.

As for mechanical because it's mechanical; does it matter to you if it's an in-house movement or not? Does it matter if it's COSC certified, Master Chronometer Certified, Superlative Chronometer certified, etc, or do you not care if it loses 10 seconds a day? These things matter too, of course...

>Something about quarts, they just don't give me the same pleasure.

Yes, I too get queasy when the subject of watersports comes up...

Attached: Seagull-1963-Cigar.jpg (1000x665, 141K)

>rose gold

>The social aspect is actually far more complex than you might give it credit for. Do you want to get a watch that no one else has or knows about?
Yes, i want the most obscure watch possible

Tudor says it's rose gold, but it certainly looks mostly yellow. Could just have less copper/silver than other 'rose gold' out there.

Attached: Baselworld-2018-TUDOR-Black-Bay-58-7.jpg (2000x1333, 450K)

>Any kind of gold

I will reiterate:

All STEEL BB58 when?

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1521126392689.png (1024x595, 427K)

It can't be the same standard as Rolex rose gold, so it has to be inferior. Some kind of substandard alloy was mixed in

Dagaz lume.

Attached: image.jpg (1389x1363, 344K)

>and probably firing a warning shot to COSC in the process as well.
What exactly do you mean about this, care to elaborate?
>as there are few independents who are trained in co-axials.
Hmmm, so a watchmaker dealer that deals in these watches won't actually service it? That is a bit scary.

They need a BB39

Attached: image.jpg (700x467, 192K)

You're proud of that, huh?

There is one, it's called the BB58.

19.99 with free shipping.

old news

Attached: IMG_20170826_221112_520.jpg (1080x1080, 30K)

he's making horological OC leave him alone

never faggot
just buy this, or do you have bitchwrists?

Attached: Tudor-Black-Bay-Blue-11.jpg (860x564, 170K)

I wish lume was not so shitty. I bought a seiko with the best lume in the the world (some say some Rolex lume is like 5% better but...) and it's total shit.

can't read it after 2 hours in the dark, so unsatisfying

First, for some time watches were certified through COSC (basically testing watches for their reliability in various situations, with a passing watch that has a variance somewhere inside -4/+6 seconds per day). The Master certification from Omega has tighter tolerances and more tests, so a watch that passes through it can be claimed to be superior. Since a great number of watchmakers in the mid to upper tier have all their watches certified COSC, then Omega is simply trying to find a way to produce empirically confirmed superior watches to their competition.

When I describe it as a potential warning shot to COSC, it's because if COSC becomes a baseline standard (which I think it has become for expensive watchmakers), then there has to be something that differentiates better from worse watches, right? So Omega is doing that with their Master certification; to basically say that COSC just isn't good enough (and by consequence, any watchmaker that is proud of a COSC certification now is made to look inferior to Omega's Master cert.). Marketing and competition, essentially.

About the servicing issue. There are a few tiers here who service watches. The mall-watch guy who services everything, the independent watchmaker who services everything, the authorized dealer who can send it to someone, and the company boutique. The mall guy will very likely not have the training in co-axial, the independent (depending on their age and interests) may or may not have training in this movement, the authorized dealer likely will have someone on staff who has been trained if they sell LOTS of new Omegas, and if not, they'll send it to Omega. And of course, if you go to the Omega boutique then it's serviced by Omega.

With traditional movement watches, independent watch guys can service them without a problem because that's the majority of their work, but the co-axial has very specified lubricant application. That's the problem.

Attached: On wrist.jpg (640x640, 59K)

Dunno if serious, but the case is not metal.
It's just plated resin, like the rest of the Casio digitals.
I personally prefer the shiny plating over matte.

Attached: casio_aq230.jpg (600x450, 74K)