There are people who use Ubuntu over Debian

>there are people who use Ubuntu over Debian

Why Jow Forums? Do they like bloat? Do they not wish to spend an extra half an hour setting it up?

U/X/K/Lbuntu users, explain yourselves.

Attached: neofetch-2018-05-04-04-05-28-6628.png (1366x768, 787K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fossbytes.com/ubuntu-data-collection/
youtu.be/nQJ92aXrwP0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Uninstalled my old Ubuntu install last week, decided to try Debian
>Saw people saying how the lack of PPAs was kind of shitty and how great Kubuntu is supposed to be
>Kubuntu installed now and kind of regreting it
Think I fucked up somewhere.

Attached: 1505643855084.png (1920x1080, 971K)

Why are you using anything when you have nothing open?
Install Windows so you can actually do something with your PC.

I have been using Xfce Debian live/netinat with great success. I heard xubuntu or whatever offers the same setup. What's there to gain from that? Been thinking of trying something else, but unity and plasma is absolute shit. Maybe something like Openbox.

>Xbuntu
>Kbuntu
>Lbuntu

Y...you know you can add PPAs, right? Just find the PPA and add it to apt/sources using

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

What were you trying to install that you couldn't find in Debian?

>there are people who use debian
use fedora like god intended

Attached: IMG_0267.jpg (2268x3024, 784K)

>fedora
Convince me to switch.

Fedora is just babies first linux with a gay name, tho

>you know you can add PPAs, right?
Isn't it not recommended?
>What were you trying to install that you couldn't find in Debian?
Nothing, just thought in the future their might be something. I'm probably just being dumb though.

No, its the way it's meant to be used. I mean, if you add Ubuntu PPAs sure there's a chance you'll fuck your install, but it's the way you're meant to add Debian PPAs.

Cute doll desu.

Which repository is bigger? Ubuntu or Debian?

>Implying there is a difference except Ubuntu being more outdated than sid.

Well... Now when you can install more and more software from snaps, it stops being the case. Repos will die.

I'm a Debian user (stable on servers, sid on my workstation) but I understand why people would use Ubuntu. It's a repacked preconfigured Debian system with sane defaults and useful tools. Plus, it ships non-free firmware, which may be required to init some components (graphics card, network adapters, ...).

You can"t add PPAs on Debian, as it is Ubuntu-specific. You can, however, add custom repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. PPAs and custom repos DO NOT share the same syntax.

Ubuntu repos are cloned from Debians, with extra packages added. They recompile all packages though.

I'm highly considering to switch over debian. I'm on void right know but it breaks way too often even if i fix the problems in one minute thanks to the near perfect irc.

Debian will never break on you, and is just as customization as meme distros like Arch.

ubuntu is botnet a this point.
it trakcs you just like windows

Ubuntu has more recent software in their repos. I'm going to change over soon because I'm sick of thinking that a certain feature would greatly improve a piece of software that I use only to find out that feature was added 4 years ago. I would still rather use a stable OS though rather than something that might contain a typo like RM -rf / home/user/(program configuration directory here).

>install more and more software from snaps
>unironically using this canoncial Ubuntu crap
There is no salvation for you user. There is no reason to be using this shit.

>it trakcs you just like windows
Isn't all the Amazon stuff disabled now and can't you disable the analytics?

Is there any good unified packaging system?

Recommend me a good alternative to GNOME.
Seems to be almost universally hate but I sort of like, maybe because it is familiar to me know. KDE seems much too convoluted by comparison?

> sudo not included
> apt sources not included
Even Arch and Gentoo include these, Ian got what he deserved.

xfce

What's the problem with this?

>xfce
Why do you like it?
(And nice digits)

MATE

>sudo not included
?
>apt sources not included
???

I unironically like GNOME Shell's UI (as well as the extensions and its support for CSDs, which KDE doesn't play too well with), but it does run a little slow for my little ol' laptop. I might consider MATE.

I might give it a go once debian 10 is released

Is the font rendering on Debian as good as on K/Ubuntu?

I doubt.

Funny enough that I have 5 year old software break and not work more than I have rolling release software break

fossbytes.com/ubuntu-data-collection/

Attached: godhasspoken.png (324x97, 6K)

Attached: 1.jpg (500x498, 85K)

>it’s important to note that users will have the option to opt-out of this data collection

because I don't give a shit about how "bloated" a distribution is

furthermore there is a "minimal" installation option in 18.04 now

IT JUST WERKS

debian stable + backports is patrician tier

The graphics card issue is exactly why I don't use debian. I worked for a week to get my laptop working and used the tools recommended in the docs (which are atrocious btw) and could never do it. My computer ran hot and heavy to make up for no graphics card.

I don't use Ubuntu tho. I use Fedora. At work we use red hat so it just provides continuity to what I anyway have to work with

Pantheon (and elementary OS) if you like GNOME defaults. XFCE or MATE if you like to customize your desktop.

>The graphics card issue is exactly why I don't use debian.
Sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity, what model of GPU is it ?

Yes. IMO snaps are an amazing idea. Just think of using anything you want on most of the distros without compiling. Of course I am talking about desktops. Can't imagine using snaps on a server.

>I might consider MATE.

Nevermind. I just tried out the live USB. It just wasn't working out for me. :(

Had Ubuntu on my PC, tried to update it to 17.10.. pretty much bricked the OS some how. Thinking about trying out Debian. You all like it over Ubuntu?

im over here running centos 7 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No. We actually have things to do. We're not stay at home autists. Also Ubuntu has a minimal install so you can get all of the advantages of Ubuntu without the bloat.

How many times today are you planning on avatarfagging with that shitty desktop? Why does distro choice matter for you when the only relevant programs are screenfetch and a web browser?

you can just
apt install software-properties-common

to get PPAs

nice quints

Attached: IMG_3132.jpg (640x640, 74K)

I would unironically use fedora to get some experience with red hat, but the name means that will never happen

I use Ubuntu minimal with KDE. Why? For starters, PPAs, more software in the official repos, and more recent packages without using an unstable or testing branch. But going deeper than that, I have a real life. When I post on Jow Forums it's usually during downtime at work, from my phone or when I'm bored after work but most of my RL friends work 9-5's while I work 3-noon so I have a bunch of time to kill before anyone can hang out. I don't want to fill that time with dicking around with config file bullshit. My experience with debian over the years has been that the configs that come with stuff suck ass, where the Ubuntu configs are often geared towards normal people. I get the bare bones approach debian package maintainers take, they have users that would prefer to set things up themselves and don't like their packages to come overly preconfigured. That's fine. If that's what you want, then debian is great. I'd prefer to skip the config file shit except for the stuff specific to my hardware, and have stuff "just work". I guess that's why I am running Ubuntu on my macbook.

just as you can "opt-out" of windows10 tracking....

when will you guys learn

Attached: 1525118628766s.jpg (250x241, 10K)

CentOS is way closer to RHEL than Fedora is anyway. CentOS is the community-driven analog to red hat, whereas Fedora is basically a bunch of unpaid testers for red hat. If you want RHEL experience without using RHEL, build a server and install CentOS.

>using debian
>using any of the *buntu's

Attached: 1474380622462[1].png (604x400, 44K)

Who gives a shit what other people use?

i agree with debian stable philosophy but i need new and supported packages on the desktop, so ubuntu is enough if you dont install stupid ubuntu-specific metapackages.

>Do they not wish to spend an extra half an hour setting it up?
there's your answer

Devuan is superior

/thread

this. Debian - systemd = best distro

Too bad half the packages are broken because they still have systems dependencies.

too frequently updates. If I wanted 200 updates a week, i'd use a rolling release distro.

Debian is stable

If this and this then this

Attached: LogoBl_0.png (80x80, 2K)

fucking crashy ass trash

I don't like Debian's retarded driver policy. Let me tick a box in the installer to download closed source drivers.

>there are people who use Linux for desktops and not just backend server shit

Attached: snuggleswtf.jpg (225x225, 10K)

Woops i meant if THIS and this stupid phone

Use the non free installer, guy. All there is to it...

Still didn't detect my WiFi card, had to side load the driver. Just a pain in the ass

Disregard that, I suck cocks.

or take 2 seconds to add the non-free repos by adding a line to a text file.

linux is much more of a pain in the arse than that. If you can't even manage that then you should just stick to windows

nice

It doesn't have to be a pain in the ass - just don't use Debian. I have a small laptop with elementary and every single feature is intuitive and works out of the box.

nice cocks*

Gotcha, that does sound like a pita

god tier waifu

>Install xubuntu
>everything works
>install xfce on debian netinst
>FAILED TO MOUNT VOLUME; NOT AUTHORIZED TO PERFORM OPERATION
Im just too much of a retard

Attached: 1524463638082.png (576x461, 115K)

>utaha
good taste
>resolution
bad taste

>>Install Linux distro
>>everything works
Why even lie though?

Dammit. All i meant to do was put in a subject title for my image and i typed in a name instead apparently. Growing pains i guess, similar to jaw pain from all the nice cocks i apparently suck. Fml : [

Go and sin no more.

>he never tried a just werks distro

It does tho, just compile/download iso that also has OS ported to work with that kernel and you should be good to go

>3-noon
what kind of exotic job is this?

I work as an addiction counselor at an outpatient rehab. A lot of our clients come in for treatment before work, so we need to be open earlier than everyone else.

10 rupees in your loo Rajeesb

Debian is great

I downloaded and installed Xubuntu all within 15 minutes. Just apt update && apt upgrade and I was good to go. Ironically enough, my old Radeon HD 6950 has better driver support with Mesa, than the catalyst drivers on Windows. I can shitpost on the chans, and play 7dtd, so no complaints from me.

>do they not wish to spend an extra half hour setting it up?

Actually, yes. That is precisely one of my main reasons for avoiding Debian (or Arch, for that matter).

>rolling release distros

Attached: 1525385821631.jpg (808x1010, 181K)

Lazy people shouldn't use Linux

Debian is GOAT

"Bloat" is an empty buzzword on Jow Forums 90% of the times it's used.
Canonical puts forward the most effort to bring some degree of polish and professionalism to the GNU/Linux system outside of development tools, it's not really hard to see how people could prefer it.
Honestly, I'd probably run it too if I didn't hate the branding.

>Canonical puts forward the most effort to bring some degree of polish and professionalism to the GNU/Linux system outside of development tools

Are you actually trolling or not?

Tripcode uses debian

youtu.be/nQJ92aXrwP0
If you are not a brainlet and have good wifi the debian netinstall takes 30 minutes.

Attached: nibbadrinkingthebrownstuff.jpg (849x1200, 114K)

What ish thish pershon? Ish it shupposhed to be female or shomething?

>there are people who use Debian over Ubuntu
why