/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T400/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/ (currently not working, possibly indefinitely)
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: 310.jpg (2448x3264, 1.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=25936,24654,24926,29324
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads#The_replacement_.28T430.29)
ebay.com/itm/15-6-ThinkPad-T540P-Core-i5-4300M-2-6GHz-275GB-SSD-8GB-RAM-DVD-BT/292547118589?hash=item441d2ac5fd:g:DJMAAOSwwP5a6fkX
hooktube.com/watch?v=F50ya07onqo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first

>first sucked a dick when i was 9

ftfy

Desu the first time I sucked a dick I was 17. It was disappointing. Receiving anal is much better.

Also anyone that owns a thinkpad with soldered in CPUs that isn't a xseries or s model should feel ashamed.

Whats the best hardware configuration for battery life with the x230? Ssd, 8gb of ram and a dual core i7?

I don't think ssd and ram affects battery life so much

I just recieved nitrocaster's mod for my X220. Which IPS 1080p panel should I order? This options are suggested on mod's site:

-LG LP125WF2-SPB3 : matte, IPS
-LG LP125WF2-SPB4 : matte, IPS (supposedly -has more brightness, my choice)
-AUO B125HAN02.0 : matte, IPS
-BOE NV125FHM-N62 : matte, IPS

>tfw you run your finger around the softrim trackpoint

Who else?

Attached: 1525400526114.jpg (480x360, 18K)

>i7 x230
Why? It's 10% faster than the i5's at most.

My budget?
>$0 - $200

Requirements
>Able to run a x32 USB 2.0 Kali Live USB
>Rugged AND/OR biometric scanner
>Wifi compatible
>Cheap. I mean free to $50 cheap.

X60

t. Butthurttias Maximus

Thanks

GAMES GAMES GAMES
What have you played on your Intel graphics only thinkpad?

Fallout Las Vegas, CIV4, any others?

Attached: 1525424530543.jpg (1920x1080, 1.49M)

currently playing vice city

OpenTTD, AoE, AoE II, and huniepop

Red Alert 3 and CoH on X230
Low settings but above 30fps average; will be getting an eGPU soon though this means I'll have to unplug one ram stick. Lenovo quality.

Diablo 2, XCOM long war, some indie renpy games

Games are for children.

Was set on buying a T520 online, but today I found and handled a T420 and its slimmer s version, and honestly they felt unexpectedly large.
Maybe its because I've had a Vaio Pro 11 for years, but I guess I'll get the smaller X230 then. Just hoping that meme768res is bearable enough

T440p: Star Wars: Empire at War runs extremely well even with antialiasing at maximum.
I also play various /dgg/ "games."

this

25€ for a X61s (with an almost dead battey) + ultrabase, did I do good?

Anyone here actually unironically still using screens below 768 resolution?

All work and no play makes you a dull guy :)

The lower left corner of the keyboard on my T420 is quite loud, and it's driving me nuts. The upper part and the right side is MUCH quieter in comparison.
I've tried taking the keyboard out and mounting it multiple times in hopes of making that corner not move when I press on it, but I can't make it any better.
Is anyone having this problem? I'm considering adding some tape to the roll cage in that corner of the keyboard to prevent it from moving, but I'd love to hear if anyone has this problem and if anyone has found a way to get rid of it.

1280x800 my x200

For the same price, should I get an x200s or an x131e? These will probably not have to do anything intense of leave the house. Comfiness is most important

are ProBooks HP's thinkpads?

Like half of this thread, if not more.

>anyone unironically buys ANY devices with the meme "HD" resolution
A 900p panel was the bottom line when I was looking for my first thinkpad. I like having space for things I work on on my screen.

768p is unironically the comfiest resolution, at least on smaller screens. It's also perfectly divisible by factors of 256.

Attached: thinkpad gf.jpg (720x1076, 518K)

1280x800 is superior.

>comfiest resolution
Enjoy no space on your screen to tile properly. Even 900p is pretty small.
>tfw no 1200p panel for my T420 and T520 won't fit into backpacks with the extended battery
>tfw even 1080p panel mods cost about as much as I paid for mine

Attached: disgusting.jpg (1000x1000, 261K)

This.
16:10 is the best aspect ratio out there.
>letterboxing for 16:9 content with enough space to fit subtitles
>can display 1280x720 1:1
>more space for 4:3 content
>more vertical space for productivity

Pretty much. They are also an order of magnitude cheaper when buying used because they have not been meme'd endlessly like thinkpads

Aren't Elitebooks higher tier than Probooks?

Ain't Reichbooks higher tier than Elitebooks?

panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=25936,24654,24926,29324
The AUO panel has 3H hard coating, 700:1 rather than 600:1 "declared" contrast ratio, AHVA rather than IPS (albeit 262K colours rather than 16.7M; not that you're going to distinguish it anyway, contrast and fast response time are more important, and lest we forget it's a 12.5'' monitor)
The BOE panel has 800:1 contrast ratio, IPS-alike H-ADS, 16.7M colours, 3.80W power consumption and it's the only one still in production.
I'd pick AUO or BOE based on those specs, the cheaper the better.

you make me ashamed to be human

What would be the recommend price to pay for a t430, i5 2.6ghz 4gb ram, 500gb harddrive? Would upgrade the ram and hdd to ssd if i bought it.

For western yurop, 134€. On auctions price can climb up to ~145€. You're unlikely to get it for less than 130€, unless it's a "no battery no charger no HDD no RAM" offer and the like.

has anyone here installed the T420 keyboard in a T530? The "nubs" thing is holding me back, I don't have a dremel and I'm not sure the T520 palmrest will fit properly in the T530.

(this is what I'm talking about: thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads#The_replacement_.28T430.29)

pic unrelated

Attached: kojimbo.jpg (559x440, 42K)

I need a new laptop, and I'm contemplating on either getting the T420/30 or t440. Is there anything else I should be aware of about the t440 besides the shitty trackpad and keyboard?

the shitty TN screen on all those models

T440 is way lighter, but also more fragile.
Also only one slot, single channel RAM (some models come with 4GB soldered so you can have dual channel if you add a module, but the most common models don't)

just sand it off nigger
I did it in 15 minutes listening to a podcast. It's neither hard or labor intensive.

what tool did you use? where did you get it?

Fucking sand paper. At a local store.
user, there's no need for any fancy tools to sand off 2mm of soft aluminium.

I do have sandpaper around. Alright, I'll get the keyboard. Thanks.

T430 with a Nvidia IGP is the way to go if you want performance. You should only get the T440 if you want a good looking, lightweight laptop.

Here's how mine looks. The middle one you need to sand completely flat, the right one next to arrow keys you can grind just enough to fit in the palmrest.

Attached: kb.jpg (5312x2988, 3.82M)

Cool. Does the keyboard feel "loose"?

The X61t i carry everyday has the 1024x768 screen and serves me well, one slightly annoying thing is that some "modern" sites give me the phone layout instead of the desktop layout.

12" 768x1024 in tablet mode works fine for sad pandas too

Attached: a.jpg (768x1024, 445K)

>Is there anything else I should be aware of about the t440 besides the shitty trackpad and keyboard?
The T440 isn't in the same category as the T420/T430, it's more like a T in size with X hardware. You're looking for the T440p.

Can't say I've done an extensive search, but which pre—ULV (haswell shit) business notebooks that have an actually good screen by default? IPS above 768.
All I can find is T520 with 1080p 95% sRGB, or the X230 which despite having 768, has an IPS panel with top tier contrast.
All other 'pads, elitebooks etc have eye cancer TN.

I bent it a little bit and put a thin strip of foam under the upper part (where the volume keys are), so it's pretty snug in there.
Also make modify the nub near the arrow keys so it fits the palmrest properly.

great advice. Thanks

The T440p has IPS FHD if you hate ulv shit but it's still Haswell. Maybe those T60 IPS flexview screens?

which thinkpad is most silent?

I have a t410 i7 and it makes so much noise that it is only usable as a server. i do also have a x60, it's much better than the t410, but all the macintoshs i've ever used are basically silent in comparison

picture unrelated

Attached: 1691303409749877034.jpg (1080x1349, 291K)

ulv nupads are fanless in typical operation, in full load pretty much all laptops are going to be noisy.

why would you post that disgusting 3d abomination holy shit

anyway even a x60 can be silent with the fan turned off and an SSD, use tpfancontrol or thinkfan in linux

Haswell and later doesn't necessarily fall into the ULV meme (T440P is one of those), the AUO screens are bretty good and cheap. High/wide color gamut and meme sRGB percentages are are marketing bullshits for 6-bit (and 6-bit+FRC screens to "fake" 16+M colours) anyway.
I've multiple second/third/fourth Gen i5 and i7 QM/MQ and they are all pretty silent, provided you clean fans and apply a good paste.

I need a laptop that wont overheat if I use it in bed and put it on a pillow. Is a Thinkpad good for this?

T420 with macOS Sierra reporting in.

tfw got a good condition t60 for £9 plus shipping

Attached: raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786.jpg (750x1000, 116K)

install windows 10 on it and trigger the trannyboot freetards for free (you)s

surely not packed with cp

Attached: Untitled.png (1108x288, 116K)

Cheapest ThinkPad for the following :

Browsing
Streaming 1080p video
Some basic photo editing
AutoCAD - (2D only), can run an older version if needed.

Where the fuck do I even start?

I have a spare SSD I can fit so HD no problem.

Just found an IBM ThinkPad Type 2640 at a yard sale for $5.

Did I do good

Can this think do anything interesting, linux-worthy perhaps?

(Also that electric typewriter for $2. Looks like they sell used on Amazon around $100.)

Attached: C7fZkXQe.jpg (576x1024, 43K)

>have to watch an auction for another 24+ hours
>probably wont even win

I'm looking for a recommendation. I want a hybrid laptop that I can carry on a everyday basis and has decent battery life. It would be mostly to consume media, but I would like it to be able to emulate decently retro consoles. Also, a screen that will let me use it for long periods of time without extensive fatigue. Also, at least 500 gb of hard drive, or at least that I'm able to expand it.

I just don't know anything about hybrids and well, would like educated recommendations. I don't particularly care about other specs, and price is unimportant

god i hate (you)

Attached: angerydragonloli.jpg (775x960, 78K)

What is an auction sniper ? Come on Jow Forums, you can do better than this.

It's painfully obvious you won't keep it in the impeccable condition it requires to do just that.
>apple and other mcsimilar garbadge is thattaway

connect it to your home ftp server and use it with emacs to code on the comfy keyboard and res

I just bought this

ebay.com/itm/15-6-ThinkPad-T540P-Core-i5-4300M-2-6GHz-275GB-SSD-8GB-RAM-DVD-BT/292547118589?hash=item441d2ac5fd:g:DJMAAOSwwP5a6fkX

Did I do good and what OS should I put on there? I am thinking windows since I need to apply for jobs and rather us ms word. Although I am thinking of going Linux and even full freetard if I can.

Attached: 28238819_541296909577719_262040473597708068_o.jpg (1662x2048, 231K)

Just install Windows and do whatever shit you need to do, ignore the autists.

You can't go full freetard with it anyway because that laptop lacks trannyboot.

I have two 500GB, 7200RPM HDDs from 2 memepads and I was thinking making one 1TB RAID drive to run in my T430 using a caddy. is it possible?

>identity theft to win a $100 laptop

Why does this have so many watchers?

Attached: Untitled.png (1078x287, 138K)

is an X260 for around $390 a good deal?

My T530 is virtually silent.

don't listen to t420 here, a vm takes minutes to set up and works amazing in seamless mode, the thing literally boots in seconds

Attached: file.png (1188x888, 203K)

The xx60 are actually still pretty decent values. Until recently, I thought that it was getting around time to retire my trusty T60p. I felt it was getting "long in tooth", didn't have enough power, etc. A few days ago I had to use my girlfriend's Surface 3 for a few hours of work since I forgot the power cord for my Thinkpad. Holy shit did that ever change my mind.

>2 gigs of RAM with Windows 10, of course cannot upgrade
>OS is constantly using the page file and ruining the SSD in the process, Chrome reloads constantly with only 4 tabs open, holy shit I miss that extra fucking gig of RAM
>Atom X7-8700 is theoretically more powerful than my Core Duo T7600 but the single-thread performance is notably worse, anything processor-intensive takes forever
>Not enough RAM
>Keyboard bounces around like the tits on a 30-year-old Ukrainian hooker, intermittently stops working for no reason, have to detach or restart machine
>Power cord is ~2 years old and is already broken and splitting, she's patching it up with electrical tape
>WiFi card is beginning to act wonky, loses connection intermittently, but zero ability to repair it
>Battery is beginning to go, also zero ability to repair
>Fan screams at the slightest provocation, highest and most annoying pitch possible
>Cost $640 at a time when T60p units were going for $100 or less
>mfw you can now get a non-flexview T60p for under $50 and this shit is still being sold for $400

I cannot fucking fathom why people willingly pay money for a piece of trash like this. A T60/T60p is an absolute champ in comparison. The 32-bit processor doesn't even matter to be frank.

Exactly why I'm asking for recommendations, every hybrid I see shilled is mostly like that, a piece of shit

How much did you pay? I see a few on ebay for $135, and I'd have to shell out for an SSD & Caddy. No idea if that price is fair.

I bought a thinkpad 25 how memed am I

>$135
>doesnt even have HDD
no

optimus a shit

>buying thinkpad that was literally obsolete on day 1
And you probably paid full retail for that fucker too.

Think the colour difference on the top can be fixed?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 144K)

>It would be mostly to consume media
If you care about a decent display, look for IPS panels. You might also care about resolution if you want to watch films or something.
>able to emulate decently retro consoles
Which systems do you want to emulate?
There's a HUGE difference between emulating NES games and PS2 games.
>at least 500 gb of hard drive
You can get one without a hard drive and put in one you have (just keep in mind X series will have 7mm slots) instead of paying for an used drive you don't want.
>or at least that I'm able to expand it
Thinkpads that aren't from X series will have ultrabay where you can put a bracket for another hard disk, and you might be able to add a mSATA (xx20 and newer) or m.2 SSD if you need more storage.

i don't use it
i just use the open source nouveau and they work really well, i've got 3 screens hooked to this laptop and it's amazing
sorry, i don't know i got it for free from offices closing down, 135 sounds reasonable to me just try to avoid the nvidia version because it creates more problems than it solves and know that the ssd is not optional

You can use skin creme to clean it, it might cover up the difference: hooktube.com/watch?v=F50ya07onqo
You can also just stickerbomb it and hide the uneven color.
Your lid looks pretty good in general. Make sure to not open your lid 180 degrees to avoid making marks near the top if you want to keep it in good condition.

try using audio through the DP

Probably not just clean it really good and put anime stickers on it

why would i do that though ? i have usb headphones like normal people
if that's your thing and it doesn't work then don't buy an nvidia version i guess

Attached: a5b887d8084366a7507370f5e6ed1e71.jpg (374x347, 39K)

At most ps1, I do havea collection of more recent consoles and that pc would be for casual use, to carry it with me and keep me entertained. I'd like an hybrid because I think it's practical for media consumption and light Web browsing.
I'll take into consideration what you mentioned about the series of think pads, I do have some spare drives that I got for free so I might as well use them.

Normal people want to plug their laptop into their TV to watch movies on their big screen instead of their trash T420 TN panel