Memes aside, what's the best operating system?

Memes aside, what's the best operating system?

Attached: 1525456393699.jpg (900x900, 82K)

Windows 7.

Windows 10

Unironicly it just werks

gentoo

10 its probably the best out there.

GNU

Attached: www.gnu.org.png (720x236, 32K)

GNU/GNU, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU+GNU

Gentoo. Just try it, nigger, thank me later.

GNU/Hurd is the best.

TempleOS

gnu is not an os, linux is

Debian GNU/linux

Linux is a kernel.

Attached: gnu_wiki.png (720x374, 71K)

If we're talking mobile: Windows Phone OS.
And that's no meme, friends.
Sadly discontinued. My Nokia-manufactured Lumia is still in excellent shape and as snappy as ever. Don't ever want to move on, not like I enjoy using smartphones anyway, but eventually I know I'll have to jump ship.

Literally malware.

Attached: Untitled.png (1440x900, 1000K)

/thread

Windows NT

look faggot. there is no "best" operating system. people use computers to do different things. there is no operating system that is best at everything. stop making these dumb threads you fucking donkey

gnu\linux

enjoy your uninterruptible updates

Attached: 562c0679b966b3cf8dc10aa86527a9c7.jpg (480x601, 45K)

The April Assrape Update or whatever it's called kicked the shit out of all my tablets. Massive issues with video and audio, slow to rotate, lose wireless connection 10 feet from my router... Thanks, Microsoft!

you're welcome

depends on your use case how much (x/10) do you value the following
>performance
>playing games
>security
>privacy
>idiot proofness
>how tech savvy are you

it's stupid to think one os will be best for everyone

Windows 10.
No may may, it does EVERYTHING you could want it to.

>gaymer
>office
>browse
>turn your laptop into a spiritbox
>watch films
>watch tv shows
>use amiga forever
>shop on amazon
>shitpost
>spotify
>windows only programs
>better drivers

I use Enterprise LTSB so sadly no Windows store apps, but one day. At least no cortana. But everything seems better on Windows, along with battery life (although my old arch with awesome did last about 30 mins longer, but my battery was younger then)

Attached: 3~2.jpg (500x667, 68K)

your welcam sir. i am John Smith of customer support and am greatly appreciating.

fpbp post!

Attached: Untitled (53).jpg (2560x1440, 671K)

stop shilling malware, jamal

pfft Windows comes with it's own malware blocker. Does your OS?

Arch Linux

yes, it's called sandboxing and hardware virtualization and it's much better than an AV

OS X?

>your OS is so bad at security that instead of fixing the security issues you unironically implement an entire system-wide malware detection system because that's easier
There is a reason the most use OS in the world (Linux) has less viruses than the second most used OS in the world (Windows) despite being a much bigger target.

I use linux but you're just being stupid, linux has so many varients and is used by more technically inclined people, it has a lot more variables that's why malware isn't usually developed for it, and most malware for windows isn't using an unpatched exploit you fucking retard, stop being a brainless shill, also the market share one is dumb consider linux is mostly used on servers with competent administrators and IDSes, devs don't not make malware for linux because linux is more secure they don't do it because the success rate is too low

kek

how many poo did micropenis pay you jamal?

none, I hate windows but people spreading what is essentially lies about linux havign less malware because it's more secure is just stupid, it lures people into a false sense of security

give me back my frog jamal

Linux is a kernel.

the guy I was replying to used the word linux to refer to GNU/linux so idid the same

Windows
>Shitty font rendering
>Botnet here and there, have to deal with stupid scripts and modifying system files for ricing
>System on top of a system on top of a system
>Can turn into unstable shit without noticing
>Requires constant updates because of security flaws
>Really shitty NTFS
>Did I mention it looks like ass, specially W10?

macOS
>Slower under the same hardware, including the software that runs on it
>Not optimal hardware support on hackintosh, with people still trying to develop new kernel extensions for really old hardware
>A little bit too basic, SIP prevents a lot of modifications that would be useful
>Shitty Metal, no Vulkan, shitty OpenGL support
>Managed to make a file system that is worse than a really old one that definitely needed a change
>No NTFS write support outside of paid or buggy drivers

Linux
>Shitty software support, have to deal with WINE or worthless alternatives
>Sometimes also poor hardware support if it's a feature that not everyone uses
>20 different DEs, none of them good
>Still screen tearing issues
>Not one but two shitty display servers
>Many distros, each one with its own perk (an update on "stable" can break your shit, the package manager will hold broken packages from time to time, boot times are fucking infinite but there's little you can actually do...)
>Still shitty multi monitor support

BSD? Plan9? Haiku?

All of them is equally shit, but wangblows is the most used and shilled.

Got sick of GNUs shitty performance on my rig (probably because my rig isnt "made for GNU") so switching to Windows 7 today, ill just use Ancile Script and wsusoffline

> even the wallpaper is stolen from a linux user
absolute state of winbabbies

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Whatever one these anons prefer
>Wolverhampton F. C is the greatest soccer team

Attached: win_infographic_final.png (695x1535, 257K)

Accurate. Windows is heinous, but it has the least flaws for regular use.
>inb4 gaymer
Not a single one.
>inb4 freetard muh botnet
It's not practical to avoid. You can cut out Google and Facebook, but keeping out all the botnets just confines you to a shitty hardware and software ghetto. I've done the T60 libreboot thing, it's a novelty item and nothing more. If that sort of thing proliferated I wouldn't mind, might even invest, but nobody seriously thinks that is going to happen.

You can install the store on ltsb, Google it

I probably gave them the wallpaper.

Well that guy's desktop looks much better than yours so it doesn't matter anyway.

debian/kfreebsd

Wangblows:
Cons:
Ugly(objectivly), uncustomizable, slow, bad filesystem, spyware
Pros: games, applications

Mac os:
Cons: promotes homosexuality, no right mouse button, ugly (subjectivly)
Pros: stable, has some gaymes and stuff

Loonix:
Cons: unstable, not easy to use, kernelpanics conatantly, bad drivers, no support for hardware (my wireless mouse and r9 290 still wont work), no support, elitist users, communistic
Pros: freedums, customizability

Have you ever used Linux? Based on your post it sounds like you've only lurked on Jow Forums for an hour or two and compiled some memes about it without ever installing.

he's spot on. fuck off loonix fag

You know you miss it.

Attached: windows_xp_tan_by_lorddiablo006.jpg (640x480, 201K)

>Linux cons
I bet that all of those, besides it having elitist users, are memes. I've been using Linux since 2016 and I've been happy with it.

BASED frogposter

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

debian
arch
centos
kubuntu/ubuntu server LTS
Trisquel

All are good. Opensuse used to be good but it got corporatized.
Antergos is good.
Manjaro, there was some contreversy earlier in the year about the dev team, saw a thread here about it. I am not using it at this time but had no problems with it before.

>Memes aside, what's the best operating system?
for what? If you're gaming it's windows, if you're doing serious dev work it's linux and if you just want an OS that works for everyday shit and can do most things, mac.

If you have some special software that only runs on one OS that you need to use, that's your OS. Right?

>he's spot on
for negatives. They all have their good points, too. Though all Windows has going for it is software availability and I guess enterprise support. Just amazingly bad user experience.

>2016+2
>not using Alpine Linux

Attached: 8f96643302770a22832e477452ebebf8.jpg (1131x1600, 283K)

>Shitty software support, have to deal with WINE or worthless alternatives
I'll give you that one but most of the time it does work nicely.
>20 different DEs, none of them good
KDE, XFCE are both great. It's GNOME that's a steaming pile of shit.
>Still screen tearing issues
Only if you're a brainlet. There are even options in the graphic drivers' settings that you can turn on to prevent tearing. Also compositors like compton which prevent it further.
>Not one but two shitty display servers
Ok I'll agree with you on that, the drivers are bad, both proprietary and open source, some are just discontinued. Although I have to criticise Nvidia , AMD and Intlel for doing a shit job at making the drivers
>an update on "stable" can break your shit, the package manager will hold broken packages from time to time, boot times are fucking infinite but there's little you can actually do...
What distros have you been using? Judging by your statements probably nonel If you're talking about Arch it's literally all memes you're falling for. It doesn't break.
None of this happens in the real world, and Jow Forums apparently doesn't live in the real world.

What's the artists name again?

>It's GNOME that's a steaming pile of shit.
GNOME is comfy and has top-notch wayland support, it's just a godawful resource hog.

Tuma Dre

GNU is not an operating system. Linux is both the kernel and OS. If a computer were a car then...

The hardware would be things like the engine, transmission, fans, alternator, etc.
The kernel would be the internal components connecting the hardware like the steering linkage, brake and throttle cables, etc.
The OS would be the steering wheel, pedals, shifter, etc.
The userland would be all the nifty features built on top of all this.

GNU is like a car radio or windshield wipers. So, it's the Linux kernel/OS running the GNU userland.

Win95 when it got out, notwithstanding non-standard drivers.

Shadman

See

I would be okay with the bloat if it had the features to justify it. But KDE has so much more and takes half as much RAM.

OpenBSD.

Not using it because "muh software / muh gaymes" but I like the idea

Any that gets the job done. Whether it;s ios, win10, or linux. Some swear by solaris by Sun microsystems for super computers. Whatever your needs are - thats the best OS.

For most /v/ and /vg/ its windows for the gaming support.
For iOS developers and general 'creatives' its ios.
For virgins its linux.

Linux from Scratch

this

>cuck os

How do I create spiritbox? Do I get instructions off /x/?

Joan Cornella

The Linux operating system consists of a series of system calls. Things like open, close, read, write, and exit. These calls are used by the GNU C library but they are written by Linux developers. What the GNU created is a userland collection.

GNU/Hurd is a GNU operating system matched with the Carnegie Mellon Mach microkernel running a GNU userland. Microsoft Windows is a Windows kernel and OS running a Windows userland.
OSX is the retarded bastard of the CMU Mach microkernel/FreeBSD monokernel matched with a frankensteined shitsplosion of an OS running an ad hoc userland cobbled together from components found in various open source dumpsters.

Linux is the kernel and the OS, Richard.

>muh osx is a trainwreck
And it's still the best developer OS.

For basedboy web developers.
Why don't you see other real devs using FagOS?

This. Windows is by far the most used OS for software development.

this is objectively false. nobody in their right mind would try to develop for microcontrollers, which still make up a majority of the world's computers, in osx. there is zero flexibility required for embedded systems or web servers which is why exactly 0% of the internet runs on apple software. it's more work than it's worth to develop in osx when you could simply develop in the same os as the product target and android is now the large majority of mobile devices as well. osx is a dead meme of an os that had a great marketing team, but marketing can only carry a product so far.

>apple is totally dead guys
>pajeet using excel is a dev
No and no.

i said it was a dead meme. learn to read, retard.

>autistic unemployed linux loser
Checks out.

>linux system
No such thing

>>pajeet using excel is dev
Do you have any idea what you're saying?
Real actual developers and programmers use Windows and Linux.
SO¥boy gay "coders" use fagOS to """ kode""" javashit kode using Atom. Or they "kode" html/css shit.
I have never seen a real developer using MacOS. Never.

For retards: windows or mac
For the others: Gentoo, unironically haven't regretted installing it

i use linux only because i have to for work. i've never once in my life seen osx or anything at all from apple as a job requirement. i've seen countless jobs requiring linux and windows experience, however.

Mac is a device.
Linux is a kernel.

>Ignoring the entire point

OMG THIS A THOUSAND TIMES

XP for the win.

Only brainlets and shills don't understand this.
Trips of truth confirm

Botnet

red star os

Never seen a developer use Windows or Linux irl. What do they do?