The 18.04 version was literally nothing

>the 18.04 version was literally nothing

Is it time to move to MATE, LxQt, or KDE?

Xfce is not bringing anything new to the table and it feels like an OS from 2005.

Attached: xubuntu-logo_1_1_1_5_2_1.png (500x500, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xubuntu.org/news/introducing-xubuntu-core/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> XFCE look like 2005 os

Same for Mate and LxQT/LxDE

>xfce feels like an OS from 2005
>xfce
>OS

OK.

>expecting innovations from xfce

Xfce will always stay the same (and that's a good thing)

You know what I mean

>LxQT

This actually feels like a modern OS.

MATE also feels newer than Xfce.

>LxQT/LxDE
LXQt / LXDE

you literary don't need more than lxde
or even just openbox with tint and a nice theme like arc

how about u say whats missing u retarded distrohopper

Attached: 1524348921155.jpg (500x500, 38K)

>it feels like an OS from 2005.

More like 1995 desu

and it's beautiful

Just go for KDE, it's getting the most attention and has been the biggest innovator this last year. Or go with something new like Pantheon or Budgie.

Yep, Kubuntu is probably the best option right now. Even kio-gdrive is right there, no need for backports.

>it feels like an OS from 2005
>implying a DE is an OS
I don't see what you're really missing from xfce, apart from the tearing issue. If you use the adwaita-dark GTK theme, breeze icons and the whisker-menu plugin, it looks like KDE.
you can bind key shortcuts to do just about anything, so it's not like xfce is missing any productivity features that I care about.
>LxQT
>This actually feels like a modern OS.
I've tried out LxQt a couple times and it just feels like LxDE with a new coat of paint on it.
It doesn't seem to do anything better than xfce, and things like adding shortcuts is a pain in the ass compared to xfce. I recall having to edit xml files to add quicktile shortcuts.
The windows 95 style start menu on LxDE was horrible. did they fix that on LxQt?
>MATE also feels newer than Xfce.
MATE doesn't do much differently than XFCE. both XFCE and MATE let you customize them into whatever you want.

>it's getting the most attention
I don't understand why people care about how much active development there is on a project. Just adding more shit is not always a good thing.
>has been the biggest innovator this last year
haven't they been on a feature freeze for a year to fix the massive number of bugs?

facts

Best year, best DE

Answer your own question, what do you want to do?

>was literally nothing
What did you expect?
>it feels like an OS from 2005
Is that bad or good?

>kubuntu
(You)

>What did you expect?
Not him, but a minimal install option, like the other buntus got, would have been nice.

Dude, just pull down the net installer and choose xfce-desktop there. Are you new to Linux or something?

xubuntu.org/news/introducing-xubuntu-core/
but debian netinstall would be better

>tried debian oldstable
>no updates whatsoever

what teh fuck lol

>Are you new to Linux or something?
Yes

>debian netinstall
I tried this but fonts looked like ass, I fixed that and my browser was really slow, so I installed the quantum snap and the fonts in my browser looked weird again fuck that distro i just want a light stable distro that doesnt fkin spy on everything i do without me having tO READ A FUCCING 700 PAGE MANUAL FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Are you new to Linux or something?
Yes.

Okay, then the first thing you need to realise is that all the flavours of Ubuntu are all the same Ubuntu with different default packages installed. They all use the same repo, same core system, etc. The desktop environment you install is a replaceable component, and you can even have multiple ones installed simultaneously in order to try out different ones.

>I don't understand why people care about how much active development there is on a project. Just adding more shit is not always a good thing.
Because active development is important for projects, ofcourse there are tons of projects that are in a working state but more active development means that faster bug fixes an active roadmap. It also means the community is more active and it's fun to ride the hype train.
>haven't they been on a feature freeze for a year to fix the massive number of bugs?
Plasma was pretty new and unstable last year, thanks to the bug fixes people are able to use Plasma for their daily use. Also there are lots of performance fixes.

Also KDE is the only real DE that uses QT, which is the bomb. LXQT still needs work.

Xubuntu uses more ram than kubuntu

BunsenLabs, nigga

>the 18.04 version was literally nothing
that's a feature

In what drugs are you on?

>faster bug fixes
does XFCE take a lot of time to fix bugs?
active development often means adding more features, which leads to more bugs.
>active roadmap
this only matters if there are features that make sense to implement. XFCE at this point is working and all that needs to be done is to move to GTK3 and support Wayland.
>it's fun to ride the hype train
that's the best explanation I've heard.
>thanks to the bug fixes people are able to use Plasma for their daily use
that's not really innovation. I don't see much that is innovative about KDE. They've done a pretty good job making everything look nice and their default applications are pretty good, but since I've moved to XFCE I can't think of any features I've lost.
>Also KDE is the only real DE that uses QT, which is the bomb
I can't disagree with that. KDE looks beautiful. It was the reason I originally started using it.
>a debian based distro has a ton of bloat
wow what else is new? When I start up XFCE on Gentoo, it's usually around 250-300MiB.
If you really care about memory consumption, just run OpenBox; it uses aroungd 150MiB.

Doesn't get more comfy than Cinnamon.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-05 16-15-39.png (1920x1080, 1.88M)

>do one thing and do it right

Literally every new *buntu release is fucking nothing, they make a new release every x months just because that's how they've always done it. It also means that if you need a package that depends on a version of boost or something that didn't make it into the last stable release, you're either SOL until the next release or you have to switch to arch.

Date-based releases are ass, debian stable is too old, debian testing is too new, and arch is a meme.

We need a good distro with testing+stable branches, where new packages go into testing for 3-4 weeks before being moved to stable, so it's not as unsafe as debian testing but not as outdated (bash --version string is from 2014) as debian stable.

If you're looking for a meaningful release from *buntu you're looking in the wrong place

>you're either SOL until the next release or you have to switch to arch
does ubuntu really not have an equivalent of sid backports?

Cinnamon is under rated. If I couldn't use MATE I'd use cinnamon or XFCE. It's what the mint team does right

some fags care too much about looks

>We need a good distro with testing+stable branches
Gentoo is like that. The stable branch is relatively up to date, but they usually go with LTS versions of software. The testing branch is like running Arch. You can mix and match stable and testing, which is the feature of it that I really love.

BunsenLabs is not well mantained now.

Anyways check ArchLabs, that distro is comfy as fuck, really

i just hate the early-verison-gnom3iness of cinammon. the loathsome semi-transparency, the shit-smeared colour-scheme, the floating flyout panels with the pointless 16px gaps, rounded corners, and speechbubble-tails

it aggravates me to no end, even with custom themes.
fundamentally, the only way to resolve it is to install some poorly maintained alternate widgets for the menu and panel on cinnamon-spices.org

i still dont like brisk-menu (compared to whisker), but otherwise mate seems to fill cinnamon's nice better than cinnamon itself.
for that matter, even kde does cinnamon better than cinnamon

Nope, the moron that did those tests didn't standardize and use $ free. He literally uses some bloated GUI task manager to measure RAM usage. Xubuntu 18.04 uses ~350MiB

i like xubuntu

not feel like I'm using an OS from 1995

We need Cinnabuntu or Cinnabun.

>i like xubuntu

I like it too but...is it just me or have I gotten zero updates to Xubuntu 18.04 since the release?

XFCE is fine the way it is, twat.
>KDE
Are you brain-dead?

>does XFCE take a lot of time to fix bugs?
Not really, but the Xubuntu team does when it comes to updating the XFCE packages in the repos. If you are using xfce4-panel

>Xfce is not bringing anything new to the table and it feels like an OS from 2005.
Like something bad. It just werks.

>be me
>download xubuntu 18.04 desktop live iso
>burn to usb with rufus
>boot the computer using usb
>grub rescue
just saying

Either go Xubuntu Core or KDE Neon desu

Xubuntu is Ubuntu + Xfce
18.04 th the version uf ubuntu on which this last Xubuntu is made on, that has NOTHING to do with Xfce
Learn the differenece before starting a new thread. This need to go on the /sqt/ or Jow Forums humor

>>burn to usb with rufus

Attached: Goodkekas.gif (350x193, 3.01M)

works with everything i tried(debian netinstall,opensuse tumbleweed netinstall,lubuntu 16.04 live)

You burn shit into an optical disk, like CD's DVD's and BDR's
You dont burn data into a thumbdrive
geeez Jow Forumsuys, why dont you learn the terms bedore usieng them?

>be a windows user
>try to install the worst Linux distro
>it fucks up the bootloader
>somehow manages to blame XFCE for this

>try to install the worst Linux distro
then what is the best linux distro?

Gentoo

is there any way to get the window shuffler (or something similar) from ubuntu budgie on kubuntu?

If you're not using Ubuntu Mate kys.

Why it's not "Mubuntu"?

Why does it need to bring anything new to the table? As long as it remains stable, lightweight, and supports the same programs as every other DE that's literally all it needs.

this release is all about the long term support, if you were using 17.10 it's time to change since it won't be supported for long.

if you don't plan on using your OS for years and keep it updated then there's no need to move to the 18.04.

the only new features in this xubuntu release are the new notification system (which is actually usable and gathers all software notifications), the new pulsaudio panel plugin that allows to control your multimedia player (smplayer, vlc, etc...) like changing the tracks, pausing playback etc...

the new ubuntu release also introduces awesome wm 4.0 in its repos so you don't need a ppa for that, for me it was practical.

This.

>If you're not using Ubuntu Mate kys.

I would but they still need to iron out the bugs left over from Gnome2.

Look no further than Cinnamon.

Cinnamon > Xfce == MATE > Openbox/etc >>> GNOME Shell

>Cinnamon > Xfce == MATE

MATE is already better than Xfce.