I've been using Arch Linux for a while now and got tired of its bullshit so I want to try something fresh...

I've been using Arch Linux for a while now and got tired of its bullshit so I want to try something fresh. I like pacman and rolling release though. What distro would you suggest for internet and productive development?

>inb4 install gentoo
Memes aside

Attached: arch-user.png (500x297, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16967012
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install gentoo is not a meme in your situation, user

slackware

Void. Simple and powerful.

Project leader disappeared off of the face of the Earth and the rest of the team is trying to take control rn.

t. Voidfag

Install Mint

Fedora, it's what Linus uses.

antergos

>productive development
There is nothing less productive than distro hopping. Just get some work done.

Manjaro

Aren't they even more bullshit than Arch?

What's wrong with arch? Once you get it set up it seems to just work.

Debian Testing/Unstable. I've been running unstable for several months now and almost never have problems. openSUSE tumbleweed is also rolling release and is supposed to be pretty stable (depending on who you ask). Solus is also worth looking at, I haven't tried it myself yet

PacBSD :^)

When I was in a vaguely similar situation, I switched to Gentoo. Ended up working out much better than I could have imagined, so I'm still using it today.

Also slakeware. That's another one on my to try list if debian stops doing it for me

Two words - Free and BSD

I've never used anything but Arch-based distros (i.e. Arch Linux, Antergos, Manjaro) so I don't think it's a bad thing to try something new

> Once you get it set up
I feel like that's what I'm doing all the time, setting it up and fixing.

Unironically install gentoo

void or gentoo

I've been on Arch for a long time and have been interested in trying NixOS. They're approach looks interesting and the culture wars haven't picked up on it yet.

The 32 bit packages however are terribly undermaintained. I would avoid it for older machines.

Tipping it doesn't count.

Same as you, I plan on trying it out once I have some spare time to refine my autism, we'll see how it compares to Arch.

Yes, Nix's installation is even more needlessly stupid than Arch. Good choice.

the declarative approach seems like it would be reliable, I also like that having my packages in scm means rolling back to a previous state is very easy to accomplish. could be good. Hopefully it's not too esoteric to be a daily driver but i'm sure it's not that bad.

I actually thought it seems intuitive and straightforward. Archlinux also has more or less the same installation steps that any other POSIX kernel would. Are you sure you aren't just used to installation managers handling things for you? Those can make things *seem* different if you aren't paying attention.

Fedora-kde

source?

No memes? Debian. Tried and true.

nvm, found it myself
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16967012

this, switched from Arch to Void and never looked back. the packages take a bit longer to update but overall it has never let me down and it just solid and lacks systemd bloat.

>Fedora-Kde
Its amazaing

both are more stable, don't have systemd, and don't have arch's bloated kitchen sink dependencies. How is that more bullshit?

gentoo

one word - deprecated

Attached: 1520050881128.jpg (1024x384, 399K)

>doesn't know how to use t.
t. newfaggot

>deprecated
>not cuck

Why not Windows Vista. It runs a word processor, plays music and movies, and supports Firefox.

Does installing gentoo really take as long as the wiki says?

It's horrible and anyone saying otherwise is trolling you. There are people on this board who will type out long-winded essays making it seem like it's not that bad, but you should know better than to believe what gets posted here.

I use Gentoo every day on my desktop. I wouldn't recommend it for laptops though, things like chromium, Firefox and qt can take a while to compile. I like it a lot more than arch which I used previously.

bump for interest

>neckbeard
>lincucks
>productivity
do you guys really believe this

Attached: 1504625401183.jpg (200x193, 6K)

Devuan/Gentoo/OpenBSD are frontman.

You sound like a manjaro customer.
"I like arch but i'm too old to keep it on a working state by myself".

>almost never have problems
This guy has problems.

>looking through Jow Forums catalog
>See OP's pic
>Read "I've been using Arch Linux"
Stopped reading right there

for control freaks it's a nice choice though

I hear good things about OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

>make partitions as per manual
>copy config of the wiki
>install
>reboot to functioning system
It is simpler than graphical installations.

>Arch
>rolling release
>pacman
Manjaro