Anyone else here who actually work as a software developer?

Anyone else here who actually work as a software developer?

I'm working as a .net full stack developer for a big finance company. The benefits are great, everyone is really relaxed and the fact that we are using proved technologies instead of the latest JavaScript meme framework makes it even more fun

Attached: images(2).jpg (304x166, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/1siORiTdTnxtMc5V12SxaY_BiM6c-jB33/view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do you cope with big company culture and bureaucracy? Is it worth to endure it for money and career?
I work at a small company as an embedded Linux/Qt dev (the only one). The money is shit, but I can work remotely, my boss is literally telling me to choose to work on the tasks that I find more enjoyable and I got three months of vacation in the summer (just one of them paid).

>big company culture and bureaucracy?
What do you mean with this?

I can come and go whenever I feel like and work remotely as well. And of course I can choose which tasks to work on.

I don't see any reason to work for a small company, they will never be able to offer better benefits

What is the point of using solarized if you are just looking at a white background and/or white browser/IDE?

That sounds quite good. I don't know any developers working for big companies but the non-dev people I know talk a lot about having to cope with multiple bosses, competing colleagues, stereotypical (specialized) tasks, having to go through paperwork/forms if you want anything (vacation/sick day/ask for new equipment/...). In small companies you can deal with everything more directly. You know everyone and if you need something, you just go and ask.
>they will never be able to offer better benefits
Money? Sure. What other benefits do you mean?

Can I ask if you have a CS degree (also what school did you attend?) and how you got the job?

dont question stock potato, user.

share your work so we can all apply.

C++ developer, mining company

Small company, sort of monopolized on our very niched market

Pay's good, only ever speak to educated people (no Jow Forums spergs) so it's pretty good

What kind of setups do you guys have for development? Specs, OS, software.

Windows 10, Visual Studio 2017
(sort of required since we target Windows)

Notepad++ (XML files, notes, reading logs), Tortoise (for our version control), Frhed (usually for checking corrupt files produced by our software and sent by customers), MATLAB (verifying our software's results, evaluation customer's suggestions)
the ones I use on a daily basis

Computer is modern (i7, 32 GB RAM) except the GPU which is shit, but we don't utilize that at all. If you want the latest components you can usually just go out in the storage and find them

I don't have a degree but I'm studying computer engineering at a subpair school. It's my first job so I just applied with a link to my shitty GitHub page.

You're studying computer engineering and working a full time? Or is it part-time? What country? I can imagine with your school being subpar that the workload isn't as heavy.

>Tortoise

Attached: 1508106406871.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

> weeb
> probably fat
> most likely a neet
> giving a working man advice on the tools to use

Why not?

We can't use Git for obvious reasons

Except the "javascript meme frameworks" are raping .net in the professional world too

pic is of the 2018 stack overflow survey, filtered to professional devs only

Attached: frameworks.png (819x689, 23K)

he's RPing

Are you the OP? Please tell me what I have to learn to do full stack development or any of the back end stuff? Any books, websites, resources you used to learn? What did you have on your Github

Okay, kid.

There's no reason not to.

What are those obvious reasons? Last time I used Tortoise it was absolute shit and broke multiple times without me doing anything in particular.

>There's no reason not to.

There are many reasons not to. I'm not going to argue them with you. You'll find out once you get a job.

Git is only popular in the open source, Internet world - among tech companies in the real world you'd be hard pressed to find it

>everyone fall for meme framework
>something new

>We can't use Git for obvious reasons
And what reasons would that be? Just set up a local gitlab server.

How does Tortoise "break"?

SVN is pure unfiltered shit.

.net developer working at a small company doing mostly customized web apps. But since the pay wasn't that good i changed to a larger HR-company recently working with Java and Angular.

I've worked in three tech companies so far, no one uses that trash. Git only, some older projects use Mercurial. The only reason someone'd use SVN is corporate bullshit or old, stubborn developers.

>Git is only popular in the open source, Internet world - among tech companies in the real world you'd be hard pressed to find it

You are talking out of your fucking ass

Attached: version control.png (658x402, 12K)

I work as SAP ABAP Dev, pays fine and its relaxed for 9 months except december, january, and a little bit february months. We work for some big world-wide companies and domestic big companies. I use Eclipse for some stuff and often ABAP Editor in SAP GUI client.

I am not indian btw.

>Git
This is how you spot the onions college kids

Git's redeeming feature is its support for distributed development.
In most organizations, the code is not permitted to leave the building, whether physically or by being accessed from the outside. This effectively turns Git into SVN except with a) a pointless level of indirection and b) a security risk, should office equipment be physically stolen

So what's the upside?

Attached: 1509989926060.jpg (640x632, 82K)

BSc or MSc in CS, CE

>GitHub
Don't bother. Instead describe in words what projects you have a leading part in on your resume

Just make a web service with a frontend and backend. Some basic CRUD shit

I'm using SVN in my job and I really can't see a reason to use it over git except for it's (absence of) branching mechanism allowing to continue using atrocious library branching practices.
The dev who came up with the idea to use SVN (the company didn't even use versioning just four years ago) was a few times talking about how he was using versioning systems in previous jobs
>rule: svn update in the morning, commit before you go home. For an exception (fix the build, etc.) you have to ask the boss
>rule: no commit messages
>rule: no topic branches, everything has to be in the trunk

wot
none of these make any sence

>>rule: svn update in the morning, commit before you go home. For an exception (fix the build, etc.) you have to ask the boss
Each commit should naturally pertain to one feature or bug being fixed, not a chunk of "one day worth of work". That is not what you want when looking to merge something over ("I need this fix from trunk") or looking to trace why something was introduced

>>rule: no commit messages
don't even

>>rule: no topic branches, everything has to be in the trunk
if you have a small development team and branches for releases or a -very- stable trunk and only tags for releases I could see it otherwise it also seems peculiar

this is your boss misusing SVN, not SVN being bad

Attached: grugernes.jpg (677x775, 62K)

If by company rules the code can't be accessed from the outside it means you can't work remotely or at least have a home office. No thanks.
There are also good tools for use with Git, for example you can run GitLab instance on the company server.
>a security risk, should office equipment be physically stolen
You should encrypt your disk anyway.

>Git is only popular in the open source, Internet world - among tech companies in the real world you'd be hard pressed to find it
lmao

>it means you can't work remotely or at least have a home office. No thanks.

Now you're just being an entitled millenial

>No remote work
Imagine being this much of a cuck.

>this is your boss misusing SVN, not SVN being bad
Sure, those were just examples of what kind of people made the decision to use SVN over Git. SVN is not that bad. It lacks some functions (for example it doesn't technically support tags and branches, you use them by convention) but if you don't need distributed development, it's ok.

Junior Dev doing Angular

Since I already moved to a different country while working for my company, not being able to access code remotely would have certain practical implications.

All jobs can't revolve around you, basedboy. You are replaceable.

>copying and pasting files to network shares
>zip file backups
lmao

You said finance?

Attached: FB_IMG_1483870666964.jpg (760x358, 47K)

Yeah, that's great, never touch JS probably because you are
>working as a .net full stack developer
Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. I mean, why the FU^K would you use JS on a .NET environment?

...I actually had to solve a Captcha for this .

true, he's yakking out his ass, but also has a small, dull point:
They also use Team Foundation Version Control, more so since it's MS related.

Can I get some CV advice?

I'm self taught and I've been programming for a couple of years now on and off, it seems to me I could work in intern/junior positions so I've decided to give it a shot as I have nothing to lose. I'm also looking for a regular job with which to hopefully afford some kind of certification, and I'm trying to expand my portfolio as well.

drive.google.com/file/d/1siORiTdTnxtMc5V12SxaY_BiM6c-jB33/view

'Bachillerato' is equivalent to the last 2 years of high school, it's optional here. I went to university afterwards for an unrelated degree but I dropped out in the second year, then I've tried studying a couple of other things inbetween the years but I always dropped out. I studied programming on my own during all these years.

Should I hide my education or the date of it? Should I consider a cover letter? In my country photos aren't frowned upon if not almost mandatory

Attached: 1508321502601.jpg (1300x1298, 103K)

>software developer
No kid, I'm not a codemonkey because it's too simple. I'm a jack of all trades that does a bit of everything. In the past people would just call someone like that a sysadmin, but nowadays there's all kinds of fancy new words for it like DevOps. But it essentially means my job is knowing every single technology used in my company well enough to be able to build infrastructure for it as well as help developers and clients when needed.

I feel bad for devs. They are like horses with blinders on their eyes. All they see is their language, their framework or two, and some external service APIs. Sounds boring as hell.

Attached: ladies, please.jpg (640x563, 45K)

>Should I hide my education or the date of it?
Only if you are ashamed of it.
>Should I consider a cover letter?
Yes, and you should write in it "I will exchange my time, knowledge, and effort for money" and nothing else.
>In my country photos aren't frowned upon if not almost mandatory
How ugly are you? If above 5/10 you should add a photo.

I work for everyone's favorite semiconductor company.