/hpg/ - Headphones General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 153774_1500x1200.jpg (1500x1200, 1023K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=-v8ufVLQruk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 02FA3525-28C3-487B-B582-F33EA917E7ED.jpg (1343x1714, 601K)

>Within a minute of new thread floor autist is already posting

Attached: 1C0D1FF7-51AF-4607-8F6F-CB3960914CE8.jpg (460x460, 51K)

how does the sound signature change between the TH-X00 ebony, purpleheart and mahogany?

whats the point of this

Autism

>download music in 24 bit 96 khz for the first time
>expect amazement
>is a recording off vinyl that sounds nice and warm but still kinda muffled and lacking in detail, can't help but think that the extra conversion from analogue to detail introduced more degration of sound than the high resolution format could ever prevent over music that's been released or professionally re-released on CD in the first place

Attached: Expectations.jpg (199x225, 8K)

What music? You need to understand that shit can be recorded badly.

>that audiophool power cable

>vinyl has shitty fidelity
>warmer sound is mainly due to retro mastering

take it all in :^)

>>warmer sound is mainly due to retro mastering
wasn't the warmer sound due to the inability of the vinyl recording process to record the highest frequencies?

I highly doubt the source is at fault because it was a Speakers Corner 180g pressing of Paul Desmond's "Take Ten". I'm thinking some bedroom enthusiast thought he'd create the ultimate sound experience by digitizing it off a vinyl player, and the fault simply lies with some less than perfect vinyl equipment or recording equipment having been used.

You can only expect high fidelity from 100% digital tracks. If there are microphones involved it's gonna suck no matter what.

>If there are microphones involved it's gonna suck no matter what.
But how will you record music in the first place?

I'm not him, but after just a few minutes of comparing the vinyl rip (24/96 .flac) and CD rip (16/44.1 .flac) of Bonobo - Black Sands, I found the vinyl rip to sound VERY noticeably worse. So bad I saw no reason to keep it, as well as it taking up so much storage space, and deleted it. Glad I downloaded the CD rip together with it, or I would have hated that album altogether.

If you don't believe me, pirate the two and do the comparison of that album for yourself.

1/10 needs more isolation with a faraday cage to prevent ayylmao signals from interfering with idol tracks

That's why I love electronic music.

shouldn't the tubes be isolated as well?
otherwise what's the point

Ga

What are the most moddable headphones?

vinyl can reach up to 20khz but most masters were cut at 18khz

yeah, digital recordings are superior in every way

I always advice people to watch this: xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
It's an explanation of digital audio by the guy who wrote the lame mp3 codec

What part of 100% digital did you not understand.

idol hash here. what your setup like user

Attached: 1515660652172.png (860x600, 686K)

Hello there, /hpg/. I have a question that I think belongs in here more than to /sqt/. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My phone has A LOT of static noise in it's headphone jack. I'm at the point where I can't listen anything at volume below 60%, because all I hear is cracking in the background. I was considering my options, and what I have is:
-getting a pair of high impedance headphones
-getting a micro usb dac (I have fiio k1, but apparently it's not compatible with my phone)
-getting a bluetooth receiver (I had MPOW for a second to play with, but apparently it's got even worse noise level than my phone)
-getting bluetooth headphones

Getting a new phone is out of question, getting an external audio player is... Well, I considered this as an option, but I'd like to be able to use my home server for streaming music as I do it now.

Thoughts, opinions?

Get a new phone bruh. Can't you spare some $200?

Anyone have experience or know anything about the Arctis Pro wireless?

/reddit/

only good wireless headsets are the sibera 800 and the hyperx one rest are trash

Actually, price's not the problem. I have a Lenovo P2 running a custom rom and no google shit - my battery lasts for over one week now, and it's super comfy. The only thing I hate about this prone, is audio quality.

why do you say that? Sennheiser has a wireless group as well.

i'm talking wireless gaming headsets my b

I am looking into buying Koss PortaPros. I was thinking about buying limited edition beige, because they just look fucking amazing, but Koss just announced bluetooth version of portapros and now I cannot decide.
Not only beige look nice, but they have lifetime warranty, which is good for the long run, but at the same time going wireless would be much better personally. Any opinions?

Attached: mdr.png (413x572, 30K)

>no feet

Attached: 1483661204623.png (651x835, 1.16M)

For HD600:

>Modi Multibit
>Valhall 2

or

>Jotunheim w/ DAC

onions and modi

Wireless are generally shit when it comes to audio, so it's hard to say if it's worth waiting and getting the bluetooth version. The standard version are fucking amazing for the price

Anything not schiit.

What else would be good?

What features are you specifically looking for?

They have already been released for a few days and all reviews note that wireless version sounds practically the same as the original

The old faithful. Best 'low price' setup imo. I'd be interested in hearing the he400i or the latest massdrop version.

Attached: hjghjghfj.png (1219x915, 2.06M)

Fostex HP-A4BL

Well, I thought about upgrading headphones but nothing seems to really have what I want. I want smoother lusher mids and slightly wider soundstage which it seems like tubes will help with. I really just want an HD600 thats a little more open sounding but everything I've tried and looked at does not have the upper midrange bump which is the thing I like most about the HD600. I tried HE400i which I did not like and I thought the HD800 might be good but again it has a big dip there.

if that's the case then get them. An incredible headphone (for the price) just got much better.

rbage

600's already give smooth lush mids. Get the magni 3 and call it a day. Otherwise just buy different headphones completely.

get the bottlehead crack, it's $200 now

Yeah... nothing like getting home and putting on the comfy sound mattress.
I do, I really do want to try on some planars... lcd-2c particularly. It should happen at some point.

Get a Magni 3 and call it a day.
>more expensive schiit
Is just there to collect money.
>tubes
Don't bother with tubes until you've heard HD600 with a solid state, flat amp.

Attached: 1525307452589.png (1920x1080, 3.48M)

>Yeah... nothing like getting home and putting on the comfy sound mattress.
coming home and snuggling with your girl on the couch

My current setup is a Modi/Magni2 and its got some edge to it IMO.

Might look into this.

>coming home and snuggling with your girl on the couch
That's a nice way to think about enjoying HD600 on the couch.

normie pls

Maybe upgrade to memory foam, you degenerate

>memfoam
>"upgrade"

Your 3DPD girl will never be as soft as my Dakimakura, faggot.

stax

ath-ad900 a cat's best friend

Attached: IMG_20180503_184257335.jpg (4160x2340, 2.32M)

Maybe you can finally have that comfort and seal you desire so much

they are amazing

I wanna lick her feet.

Based

Oh it does. I wasn't really implying that the combo sounds soft. The magni 3 is clean as fuck.

Check reviews of the bluetooth portapros, one I saw complained that the battery/control bits are large and dangle beside your head, suspended from the wire. They also have a blinking blue LED when in use.

Attached: 4353459.jpg (2040x2040, 694K)

At what point do you guys get new headphones?
I've been using my ATH-M30 for 5 years now and it still works like day 1 even though I got it for 1/2 of the price.

When you care enough to explore within your budget. No offence but your headphones are dogshit compared to most expensive ones. You hear a good headphone, hen decide if it's worth upgrading from it. hat's the hobby in a nutshell.

yea it wasnt until I demod some high end stuff that I realized how much I was missing out with using my hd650, I previously thought they were great

May I ask... which 'high end' stuff?

no you may not

Which 'high end' stuff?

This reeks of b8

stax

garbage

Ear... speakers?

chad

Based

Interlude.

youtube.com/watch?v=-v8ufVLQruk

Attached: 1495061719239.png (1920x1080, 2.34M)

garbage

Self-Proclaimed audiophool here, much SACD and hi-res downloads, nothing in my system below redbook except vinyl. Been listening to HD600s thru an Oppo HA1, thought I lived in nirvana. Annoying poster in these threads keeps shilling Stax. Have disposable income, decide to try SRM-006tS preamp and Lambda 300's (bottom tier) Earspeakers. Took 6 weeks from Japan. Get turnt! Holy shit, who knew ALL THAT was in the recordings?!? Detail that boggles the mind. Not God-tier bass, but completely faithful. The imaging is more than anything I've ever heard before, can hear mix details and effects no one else knows are there. Downfalls are Expensive and proprietary amps, no external noise damping, and sound so good that it becomes fatiguing listening more than a few hours. You have to at least try them to know what you're missing!

Attached: DSC05682.jpg (5184x3888, 493K)

me too

That sticker in your HD600 is messing with the imaging, and preventing you from hear the detail you're missing.

I prefer Stax shilling over HD600s shilling, honestly.

I personally do enjoy both. Also, umi a best.

Oh, and this particular Tubed Stax preamp (SRM-006tS) runs HOT AS FUCK! You can literally burn your hand on the top cover. All worth it tho!

Attached: img_thermal_1525482785461.jpg (624x824, 199K)

Yes I agree, the HD650 is much better because Sennheiser driver matches both sides to +- 1dB to ensure the highest quality audio.

do you have disposable income though? you look like you live in actual poverty

no other headphone upgrade gets as much of a consistent response as stax does. it's ALWAYS the same thing, from every person, no matter what headphone they come to and from
>Holy shit, who knew ALL THAT was in the recordings?!? Detail that boggles the mind.

Attached: 65270f1df48ff7da3e4b7ca0cdcc5e99c3d27e1a5908b25808cbaf525adcd6ad.png (673x771, 696K)

Its the same as going from the shit most people use to HD600s, which are an excellent headphone and currently on sale, made by Sennheiser.

stax and sennheiser, the best two companies for weebs

Attached: 1432839272432.png (360x675, 268K)

Well why didn't y'all try to convince me years ago! Do any of you have experience with their full range of earspeakers? I'm under the impression they only make one type of driver and the external trim just gets better the more you spend?
Meh, I do ok, just a bachelor pad - no one else cares so why should I?

Attached: BB ST32.jpg (564x852, 89K)

your best option would be to pick up a 507 or L300LE for $800, then pad swap the L300.

I've used all of the ones they currently product except the 009s and the L300LE, currently deciding between ordering the 009 or waiting for the 009s, or getting the L700 and waiting a while

Hmm... could I have a run-through of STAX's high end lineup? (let's skip midfi and lower, there's probably a million irrelevant models there)

Attached: 1504524016763.png (1920x1080, 2.91M)

3DPD.

stax doesn't make midfi or lofi

Interesting.
So, how do I understand their model names? I've noticed there's L stuff, SR stuff, but I do not know what these mean.

Attached: 1503377446497.png (1920x1080, 2.13M)

stax takes their flagship, gimps/discontinues it and then iterates to make it seem like their new flagships are better.

sr-507, discontinued flagship lambda. they released a gimped L300/L700 to make you want to buy the 007
sr-007 new flagship, new versions were released which gimped it
sr-009 new flagship after they gimped the 007
sr-009S, upcoming flagship which offers little technology wise but probably has better tuning than the sr-009

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products