Year of the Linux Desktop will NEVER happen

Just compare it vs DOS:

>Designed for personal computers
>Simple, easy directory tree
>Handul of configuration files (autoexec.bat, himem.sys, config.sys)
>No complicated user configurations and permissions
>Literally one directory (DOS)
>Add windows: literally 2 directories, Dos, and Windows
>Run Windows by calling win.com from autoexec.bat
>Using only dos, just load the mouse driver and mscdex and sound drivers and you're fine
>Everyone in DOS world was happy with EDIT.EXE, no arguments
>God said let there be 256 colors
>You are the only user and you can run any command you want
>Modern windows continues the simple directory tree and uses the same DOS interface for command line

Now look at GNU/Linux:
>carbon copy of UNIX, which is designed for complicated server systems with large user bases
>Users trying in veign to turn complicated server OS into a personal computing OS
>Confusing and large directory tree
>Configuration files not localised to any particular area
>Toolset depends on easy to forget command names
>Unhealthy fear of GUIs
>Giant nerd wars over VIM vs EMACS
>Loading correct drivers usually involves searching google for info on your windows machine
>450 different ways to break your install
>a simple change in your bios (like reset defaults) could literally make the system unbootable
>designed by obtuse autists
>desktop environments less stable than windows
>muh freedom
>"YOU CANNOT RUN THIS COMMAND AS ROOT"
>"YOU MUST BE ROOT TO RUN TIHS COMMAND"
>Need sudo to install a printer
>Everything locked down, treats you like you are in a prison

And that is why Linux will never be a popular desktop OS

Attached: linux-2.jpg (1920x995, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pistegamez.net/game_pk2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Honestly everything is going to shit in the OS market right now.

You have dragonfly/openBSD, and maybe I dunno, fucking haiku?

That's it. Everything else is either slowly getting fucked over or already there.

It's time for a new OS.

ReactOS is unironically on the right path to a free, pc oriented OS.

Attached: 1521078923880.gif (500x500, 858K)

This pic is so soulful.

One crucial difference between the operating systems is how they handle compatibility and failure.

Windows: Fail fast
There isn't handholding or freedom here, you have to learn how to make your program work with Windows. and there will intially be issues. This strictness however means that once software is stable then it'll work across all Windows computers for decades (unless the developer falsely assumed a particular file or path would exist on all systems).

Mac: Fail eventually
Apple-controlled distribution and standards make it easy to make sure all new software is stable. However, this strict design means old devices may reject new software and vice-versa.

Linux: Fail deadly
The package manager allows for standards to be completely avoided, so nothing makes sense.
Multiply this with the sheer quantity of Linux software for performing sensitive or major operations, and the idea amongst the Linux community that all operations should be able to be performed at the drop of a hat, and you have a system where a user mistake can cause damage greater than a typical virus.

There's this idea amongst many that because Linux is unforgiving but responsive, you're not a real programmer if you don't use it. But the only thing that programming on Linux makes easier is programming for Linux, and the "fail deadly" part of Linux means that the software written for Linux will never be useful for all but the most cautious and tech literate of the population.

>Windows: Fail fast
>There isn't handholding or freedom here, you have to learn how to make your program work with Windows. and there will intially be issues. This strictness however means that once software is stable then it'll work across all Windows computers for decades (unless the developer falsely assumed a particular file or path would exist on all systems).
This is one thing I really appreciate about Windows. Any 32bit application from 20 years ago will still work today, assuming you didn't write it in VB. With Linux, good luck!

Yeah, probably not. Even Ubuntu and Mint have a hard time dumbing it down enough for the idiots ms and apple cater to

Why can Apple make a good PC OS based on Unix but Gahnoo can't?

> DOS
Was apparently what you knew, but is in no way easier or more useful than Linux.

> (random arguments against Linux)
Yea, well, Windows and OSX got these too.

Note what's been happening? Yup, "normal" people that don't need "all this power" and can't be trusted with administrative rights anways were moved to Android and/or websites that were adequately dumbed down.

It'll only proceed that way with much of the next generation being even less capable at operating a computer, having overwhelmingly chosen to "learn" and everyday use almost only smartphones.
The desktop market [and particularly with sysadmin rights] will quite possibly return to a smaller group that more or less knows their shit.

>carbon copy of UNIX, which is designed for complicated server systems with large user bases
>Users trying in veign to turn complicated server OS into a personal computing OS
The first implementation of unix came out in 1969, the same linus torvlds was born. It's first use wasn't to be a server, fuckwad.

You could make the same argument for windows

/etc/? Do you mean .files in your home directory? Also, see above.

If you're a brainlet.

>Unhealthy fear of GUIs
No, you have an unhealthy reliance on GUIs.

No, just idiots like you make stupid, pointless arguments. Also, vim is better.

>Loading correct drivers usually involves searching google for info on your windows machine
Windows machine? Drivers aren't an issue anymore. It's 2018, not 2006.

4500 ways to get a virus to break your install.

>a simple change in your bios (like reset defaults) could literally make the system unbootable
What are you doing on a computer? Play with your shit, if you don't know what you're doing.

No argument here. It's a rather petty point of contention.

True, but you should also know what you're doing. See above about playing with your shit.

>muh freedom
liberal fag

*pop-up* Windows needs your authorization to make changes. You're just a lazy idiot.

See above.

Viruses. See above.

Linux needs to be preinstalled on computers for it to take off. Ever heard of android?

what's wrong with mint?

Gay outdated shit.

>>Need sudo to install a printer
What does sudo even mean, anyways? How would a regular user EVER figure out that they need to open terminal and type such a random command to install anything without reading a manual or guide?

If your operating system can't be used by a child without needing any sort of guide, manual, or other assistive tools, then it's an unintuitive piece of garbage. That is why Linux will never catch on with desktop users. It is overly complicated for no other reason than to intentionally sabotage the user experience and make it overly complicated in order to exclude the masses. This enables Linux users to jerk off over the thought of being some super leet haxor, giving them a sense of superiority over the "niggerlicious" "normies" who require "spoonfeeding" in order to use their all-nonsense OS.

Linux is made by elitists for elitists.

>With Linux, good luck!
> my 3.6rc kernel will still run a Rogue binary built in 1992. X is back compatible to apps far older than Linux. - Alan Cox, 2012

A lot more software was just updated or can trivially be updated. Even more of it is just containerized with an older version of Linux, which is like an improved version to what Windows 10 does for its backwards compatibility now.

>Unix came in 1969, decades before personal computers became a thing, therefore its first use wasn't to be a server OS

wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.

In 1969, the only computers that existed were essentially servers with terminal interfaces or punch card readers.

>What does sudo even mean, anyways? How would a regular user EVER figure out that they need to open terminal and type such a random command to install anything without reading a manual or guide?
Their DE or package manager can ask them.

Also, obviously the real solution is that you don't let the plebs who can't read have root for anything.

It's a magical console device. Like your nintendo, your smartphone, your TV. They are asked to enter THEIR user password when they clicky the GUI package manager or make KDE add a printer or whatever.

That's the only way to make a system work and keep it working for dumb users that can't / won't read. I hope most of Jow Forums doesn't need this babysitting yet, but if you do, just use the magical console device like good pleb.

You could just use Ubuntu

Attached: 6.png (1920x1129, 129K)

It means before we had any that resemble a computer, unix ran on minicomputers like pdp 7 and pdp 11. They were minicomputers. NOT FUCKING SERVERS. Fuck.

>sudo
>super user do
How's a double digit IQ working out for you?

I don't understand why people really care if Linux becomes mainstream or widely used. An advantage of using it is hardly anyone develops viruses/malware for it, which would obviously change if it became mainstream.

>They were minicomputers. NOT FUCKING SERVERS. Fuck.

>minicomputers

kek

Attached: decpdp7pdp7_serial47_2.jpg (500x382, 38K)

>Linux is made by elitists for elitists
Only because you consider reading a modest bunch of instruction to actually operate mankind's most complex machines an "elite" skill.

The "elite" of actual trained / experienced sysadmins knows a lot more than that.

OTOH your standard here is much in line with the "average" users which really only can live on smartphones where they don't have root. That's where they are now, and it's the first time they aren't breaking everything. Because they can't.

>being this fucking retarded
Linux is more secure than Windows and you're bitching about the system actually enforcing meaningful security measures. If you want a GUI, use a distro like Ubuntu or Mint that installs it for you. You can manage packages through a GUI with large buttons that's built specifically for retards like you. The precision of command line tools makes them superior for many use cases, but you're a brainlet, so that won't matter. Speaking of easy to forget commands, look at PowerShell. Look at the Windows command prompt. If I want to clear all the text off the console in Linux, I type "clear" to clear it. In Winshit you type "cls". Who comes up with that inane shit. PowerShell is object oriented trash where everything is "GetSomeObscureBullshitINeedToLookUpEachTime". There's nothing sane about the design of Windows. The directory structure has been as mess since NT, and there's dlls and hidden files scattered everywhere. Drivers all work out of the box on Ubuntu, unlike Winshit where you hunt for drivers on the manufacturer's website.

You dense cunt, you know nothing. The BIOS has nothing to do with the OS and restoring the defaults on that same system could render GPT Windows disks unbootable as well if it's switched to legacy BIOS support. Do you know the differences between legacy BIOSes and UEFI, or any EFI at all? Do you understand that they use boot sector information to find a kernel, and that every OS and every BIOS/EFI works this way? If the BIOS can't load this basic info at boot time, your OS will not start, you shit eating imbecile.

Even though it's an open source Windows clone, the underlying architecture of React OS and the kernel code are a million times more clean and sane than real Windows will ever be. Windows is a clusterfuck, but React OS will be a reasonable alternative for backwards compatibility with win32

Attached: windies10.png (277x299, 21K)

>minicomputers
Architecture wise nigs

I care
I don't care about "free" software
I don't like m$ making money off my info without cutting me in on the money. in the whole exchange of money for goods/services I'm not the goddamn product especially when I'm not benefiting from it.

>carbon copy of Unix.
When is this a bad thing? Found the FreeDOS autist.

Why doesn't someone invent a whole new OS not tied to any shitty legacy system from the 70s?

It's not a carbon copy of unix. The linux was based on minix, which is unix like.

I r OP. Installed Arch the other day, attaching my notes. I really do think Linux is not, and should not be meant for the average Joe. Its simply a fact that it will never ever catch on because it is needlessly complicated, in a way that does not empower the user. I know you detest normal people, either because you look down on their intelligence for not wasting their precious time on the ins and outs of an OS, or because you attach misplaced value on your personal knowledge of Linux as actually being useful in some way to society. I will concede however, that if you totally lock down the system like Apple has, you can use Linux as a platform.

Attached: arg install steps.jpg (962x3366, 660K)

Why send that reply to me. Its what OP wrote and what I am quoting.

I know it's quote. I wasn't trying to insult. Just informing, relax.

If Linux became mainstream would most distros not adopt this business model? Ubuntu has done this already.

How is a computer the most complex machine?

>Arch
THERE'S YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM. Stick with Ubuntu LTS if you need handholding, or buy RHEL and pay for support.

Well I don't need Ubuntu now. After all that I can say I'm a bonafied petrified electrified traumatized Linux user 4lyfe now!

I'm hoping that there are enough freetards that they'll stay nonprofit / donation funded or they'll leave things open source so their os can be forked and the offending telemetry excised. OR they'll go gurrilla and offer their OS on shelves for a small fratcion of what m$ offers windows for. in our hypothetical of mainstream linux I'm assuming comparable support for programs and firmware to m$

>Arsch Gaynhoo/Limpdick
You chose the worst distro and you're bitching about it here? Fuck right off, you gay retard.

>I know you detest normal people
No, I detest you for shitting up Jow Forums with useless Poojeet shit.

>for not wasting their precious time
Yes, your time is so precious that you waste it on Arch and Jow Forums. Lmao.

>because you attach misplaced value on your personal knowledge of Linux as actually being useful in some way to society
Stop trying to play armchair psychologist with me, faggot. I don't give a fuck about bettering the world. I want an OS that works for day to day tasks like web browsing and spreadsheets without BSODs and Windows rot that doesn't spy on me and force updates down my throat, and Linux does exactly that. It's not needlessly complicated, you just write the install image to a flash drive, boot the installer, press some buttons, and set up the users and passwords. What sort of shit for brains subhuman can't install Ubuntu? Probably you, you failed abortion. I'd bet good money that the best part of you dribbled down your mom's asscrack and soaked into the mattress, taking 2/3s of your IQ points with it.

Now get off my board, moron.

Attached: 1514470019179.jpg (698x1038, 162K)

>You chose the worst distro
>iptables --version
Your mom is the worst.

>bleading ehdge

Attached: 1524770195209.jpg (947x1024, 83K)

Attached: 1495445293535.jpg (1000x922, 60K)

Angry incel

I fuck prostitutes for $50 a night. There is no such thing as an involuntary celibate, only poorfag retards who could be getting the suck and fuck after one shift at McDick's.

Attached: 1510277624004.jpg (225x220, 19K)

>install linux
>screentearing
>most shit just "doesn't work"
>have to go through a bunch of shit to figure it out
>hardware support is nonexistent / always behind the times
>driver support is nonexistent

>install windows
>just works
>any hardware works and is always at the latest and most stable update
>hardware support is always supported first and always has an exe to install

>install mac
>have to use Macâ„¢ products, but it kind of works if you pay more

>half of the points about DOS are actually about windows
Cool story bro. You do realize that windows never really ran "on top of" DOS, it was more the other way around. Also DOS is just a shit CP/M clone, most computer vendors had their own version of these in the 80s, just like most had their own UNIX (Microsoft even had one). All these OSes are a shit meme and shameless ripoffs of stuff invented decades ago.

If you want things to be sustainable then do your part and either donate or volunteer. We can't do this alone, every little bit helps.

You're boring me

Attached: Clipboard01.png (1293x860, 1.36M)

65833169(You)
>You're boring me
Who said I'm here to entertain you? Go play your nintendo shit.

Attached: 1512867116881.png (866x900, 94K)

>handful of configuration files
regedit.exe
Services
Config files in user or program directory or both. Or neither

Attached: 1502897436852.png (440x440, 197K)

>he literally has to pay women to sleep with him
>he will never know the feeling of being loved or wanted
Sorry to hear that

>$50 a night
Jesus murphy. Hope you haven't caught the clap.

>muh bleeding edge iptables
>bleeding asshole

Attached: 1517773862451.gif (200x150, 699K)

He's renting pussy, just like you. Ever been cheated on?

>If you want things to be sustainable then do your part and either donate or volunteer. We can't do this alone, every little bit helps.

first, if I'm trying to get away from m$ because they want something for nothing what makes you think I'm interested in doing the same as a linux dev?
second, and because we're not in hypothetical land any more, I'll get right on that donation, as soon as I can change display nvidia xserver settings that fix screen tearing and have them save for next reboot without having to remember that I have to start the xserver settings as root from a fresh install. display settings should open as root by default so they don't need to be reconfigured every time you reboot and I haven't seen that implemented ever.

Go track down someone who works on the noveau driver and have a chat with them about that then, possibly donate to them directly, or try and fix the bug yourself. You can get your moneys worth but you need to put in some effort, unlike microsoft who will always just try and con you.

ebin
or
not
pistegamez.net/game_pk2.html

everything was essentially a server back then dummy. The whole thing was designed from the ground up to be a multiuser operating system

>the underlying architecture of React OS and the kernel code are a million times more clean and sane than real Windows will ever be.
Why ReactOS doesn't work, in a nutshell.

Check out this mong. Can't understand that DOS isn't Windows.

>linux is more secure than windows
>open source code that anyone can look at and reverse engineer at any time
>more secure
>inb4 B-BUH LINUX HAB NO VIRUS xDD
Noone bothers making viruses for linux because there's nothing to be taken from neckbearded neets

>Linux is more secure than Windows

As much as I prefer Gahnoo, there's no way in hell that Linux is more secure than Windows. I am a pentester and I find more vulnerable Linux boxes than I do Windows, but that's mostly due to bad configurations (which are the majority of network security pitfalls).

Firstly, it's open source, meaning anybody can discover some vulnerability e.g. an overflow due to the kernel being created in a very unsafe language. Windows NT is the opposite of this, with C code being minimalized and the only eyes that see it are under heavy guard in Redmond. Most Windows exploits are locked away, and the Windows NT kernel is actually created in a more enterprise environment where it gets (anal)ysed to death before any public releases.

Secondly, just look at the CVEs for Linux compared to Windows. Linux only gets "less" malware because less people are using it. It is security through obscurity, which is widely renowned as a bad practice in the infosec community when used as the only practice.

Attached: 1518973874508.jpg (250x247, 5K)

Totally irrelevant.
In vain*. Also it works, who cares what the initial idea was. If you can provide a couple of examples of how this is bad, I'm all ears.
This has to be a joke, it's a perfectly sane directory tree where every single path starts with / instead of arbitrary drive letter.
Not true, there are standards for this: you have user configs in your /home/user/.config and general configs in /etc. Windows does this too, my .ini are all over the place.
Ah yes, compared to the very easy to remember powershell shit like Get-AppxPackage (case sensitive).
>Unhealthy fear of GUIs
What do you mean? What should have a GUI and doesn't?
I fail to see the problem here. Just close the tab.
I've only had this issue when using proprietary nVidia drivers.
True, freedom means freedom to mess up your system.
Just like in Windows.
You're posting in a website running on Linux.
Proof?
>muh freedom
Not a problem.
Good.
Good.
Yes, of course you need sudo to install files to a root directory. That's what "installing a printer" means.
Blatantly false. Do me a favor, change the position of your titlebar buttons (close, maximize, minimize) on Windows.

For the same context, such as a server, can you really say you've found Linux servers to be more unsafe than windows servers?

My latest Windows update removed my nvidia driver and my GTX 1060 showed up as "generic VGA adapter".

>And that is why Linux will never be a popular desktop OS
Don't care, it works for me

Attached: razors.png (1280x905, 379K)

If you click the button on the shaving machine (mac) 2 or 3 times do you become root?

Linux Razor:
$0 gift from grandpa.
lasts 100 years
doesn't require electricity
doesn't require replacement blades. You just sharpen it.
Cut yourself if not careful.

Mac Razor:
costs $399
replacement blades $99
slows down after 2 years
battery is soldered in and dies after 5 years
but it does work, is simple to use, and only blind ideologues would deny that.

Windows Razor:
$99 but comes with every house and is included in the price. You basically can't buy a house without a Windows razor.
requires a battery, strangely, even though it's mechanical
microphone streams everything even when you're not shaving
camera streams your mirror image directly to MS
always reboots just when you want to shave

Yes, that's why they have extra security protocols

>I don't understand what being a desktop OS means
What a faggot

>but it does work, is simple to use, and only blind ideologues would deny that.
I use mac more than you and it doesn't just work. More than half the upgrades to High Sierra at my office rendered our macs useless and required Time Machine restores. This is an official upgrade by Apple.

>Totally irrelevant.
>Also it works, who cares what the initial idea was.
mp3 also works, why use aac?
h264 also works, why move to AV1?
X11 also works, why use Wayland?
etc

>it's a perfectly sane tree
Why use /srv instead of /var? Why /bin and /sbin? What's the point of /usr? What's the fucking point of /opt? Why /root has home outside of /home? Where is a permanent second drive supposed to be mounted?

Just because you needed a terminal to connect it, didn't make a server. Do you understand what multiuser mode means in the context of unix like systems? Doesn't mean multiple people using one machine. Google a little more before posting.

>doesn't understand anything
What a faggot idiot.

The only problem I have with linux is that dumb userspace thing from mainframes era. I get why it's good for servers but I'm logging in on my personal machines as root anyway and for some reason linugz retards are ripping their hair off and screaming in agony when they see it while in fact it's my PERSONAL computer you retards and you can go fuck yourself with sucking cock to linus. That retard made bloated OS and is proud of every line count increase they make. Linux design is good for servers (where it gets rekt by retarded BSD) but for personal computing it's just obsolete and the only reason for using it would be because Windows is botnet.

>muh windows
/srv is a dedicated folder for serving content.
/sbin is the same as bin, but requires superuser privileges.
/usr is an legacy folder, that is used for files that can be shared across systems
/opt is for files that come from an third party vendor. Never worked in a corporate environment, have you?
Root isn't suppose to be a user account. Idiots like you fuck shit up too often.
/media or /run/media

Also, explain the subfolder of AppData and C:/Windows and the schema of the registry. Then tell which system is saner.

Please give it some time.

I can explain why those are objectively better than their alternatives, can you explain objectively why Linux descending from a server OS is worse than descending from a desktop OS?

>scroll through Distrowatch for a new distro to test
>find Bunsenlabs released a new update
>live boot on my X220 works flawlessly
>decide to install it
>touchpad doesn't work in GUI installer
>asks to mount CD/DVD drive to install muh propriatery Intel wifi drivers
>you fucking what, mate
>skip
>get to network setup
>only ethernet works
>alright, hope wifi works as it did with live boot after install
>finish up install
>boot and wifi works flawlessly again
>try to install chrome as a starting point
>"u must install dese three packages, but they not installable lolz"

Jesus fuck, no wonder Linux never takes off.

>inb4 "ur source.list" isn't set up correctly

WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO SET UP A FUCKING CONFIG TO INSTALL SHIT?

We've had decades already and Windows/MacOS are so far ahead on every fucking front it's embarrasing.

>buys hardware that requires proprietary firmware
>complain when free software doesn't contain proprietary firmware

Attached: 1516308254092.jpg (645x729, 81K)

>installing chrome
>ever
where do you think you are user.

So anyone wanna make a good desktop environment for linux?

No.

>installer somehow contains the drivers as it works in live boot
>doesn't for some reason when going through installer

Give me a good fucking reason for this bullshit.

Vietnamese autism forum. I expect nothing less from this place.

Attached: 1305928605440.jpg (960x540, 142K)

File a bug report.
The live system indeed shouldn't contain proprietary firmware.

To be fair FSF screetches even if distro has proprietary drivers available for download

add "non-free" and "contrib" to your debian repo sources and do apt update

This is because Debian has a social code not to ship these binaries in their official installer to protect users.
If you looked at the installation image page on the official site they tell you if you want to use proprietary firmware you can sideload it in /lib/firmware/iwlwifi or download the un-official installer that has the proprietary firmware included.
(even though it's unofficial it's from the debian community so it's quality)

Sorry you can't read lad.
Otherwise use Ubuntu with every botnet preinstalled.

(bunsenlabs is a fork of Debian btw)

>This is because Debian has a social code not to ship these binaries in their official installer to protect users.
Why Stallman refuses to accept debian to list as "good" GNU/Linux distro when this step is optional?

because stallman is autistic and sayS "B-BUT MUH OPTIONALLY FREE ISNT FREE ENOUGH NO PROPRIETARY SHIT WHATSOEVER REEEE"

This is a good thing trust me

The day linux is the normal is the day linux users will need antiviruses. Dont pray for it.

Its a 1060, Windows is right.

Deliver version with CIA-webcams and dildo.

Exactly, once the average retard grade consumer latches onto Linux, it'll become a botnet by decree of law. Windows is basically a lightning rod that keeps the dumb people away from ruining Linux.

this is the sort of apple gay mentality that has brought us where we are
computers are not children`s toys, even if used for entertainment they are complex machines, and when you dumb them down to the level that newfags will think that it`s the standard, you`ve effectively raped all sorts of innovation and evolution

>The day linux is the normal is the day linux users will need antiviruses.
I highly doubt that.

yes, both of them rely on security through obscurity, that's why the correct way to do things *is* to have more security protocols. in this day and age you cannot have security without a multi-tiered approach like this, even if you are trying to additionally rely on being able to spent mass amounts of dollars to keep your code secret, you still need to do this

>intentionally undermining the nonprofit you founded and work for every day for the last 30 years is "autistic"
wintard logic

jokes on you I'm a BSD fag