Is game programming the final boss of programming?

Is game programming the final boss of programming?

Attached: starforce_battlement_mobile_game3.jpg (630x354, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y71lli8MS8s
youtube.com/watch?v=29vUp09JDAg
youtube.com/watch?v=AY2g7AiMtLk
youtube.com/watch?v=__i_LoRKhJ0
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_Collection
github.com/search?utf8=✓&q=gameboy emulator&type=)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is pretty hard indeed, but mostly because if performance issues. (unless you roll out your own 3D engine, which you don't)

Some unexpectedly complex code though is data parsing.
Supporting slightly invalid formatting (like with HTML where no one cares about W3C validation anymore), and doing so efficiently means most parsing libraries are actually a very exhausting thing to look at.

I'm an indie game dev and I don't know how to program, visual scripting like Unreal's blueprint is enough for 95% of stuffs, the rest you can just buy already made scripts.

A game is 95% 2D/3D assets, lights, assets etc. basically the asset production + know how to use an engine.
the code is 5%, except if you want some very specific gameplay

Not really.
I imagine that industrial simulation shit is a lot harder.

This. In a game engine the physics don't have to be any good to be good for the game. Accurate engineering simulations would be far harder.

That would be either obedient murderbots or autonomous robotic waifus.

You can't call yourself a game dev without laughing.

>except if you want some very specific gameplay
Like a good one.

Kernel Dev is the final boss

Game programming is quite a problem because its not just programming, it involves art/sound/extensive user interaction/rudimentary artificial intelligence/etc

logic/programming side is fine for me, its just the part about having to either learn how to draw/make 3d model/make sound/etc OR buy it from some shit place or hire someone and work with that. All those are much harder for me.

life critical systems and hard real time systems are way harder
games are in general soft real time with (sometimes) hard real time features

you're kidding, right? precision isn't difficult, especially if it doesn't even have to run real-time

>precision isn't difficult

Attached: 1512635943909.jpg (645x773, 56K)

99% of indies game have generic gameplay, even the good ones

you can't invent a genre by yourself

the hardest part about making vidya is the art aspect, not the coding. For some reason though, AAA publishers think they have to go all out on graphics and story and not care at all about coding the game and making sure its not a bugyy, broken mess.

Minecraft was made by one man

Minecraft's gameplay isn't that hard to do at all, it's a basic sandbox, you can code a similar game in c++ or c# in 2 weeks in unity or unreal.

Depends purely on the level of user-interaction. Writing an accurate, well-documented physics model isn't difficult if the input is static and predictable.

Writing one that can be fully interacted with is a different monster altogether.

step 1: use a high-precision library
there is no step 2

Cheats and anticheats are way more difficult

Attached: S2LLWtK.jpg (538x960, 48K)

that's my point. a realtime physics engine is a complex piece of software, but still only one of the many systems that constitute a game engine. the real mess starts at the intersections of those systems.

what's the point of this photo? Rip offs were always a thing.

Should I start 2D then move on to 3D or doesn't matter?

That doesn't make it less stupid

you're custom scenario maker, kid, you just pay to pretend its a game on itself and not your custom maps, but hey at least youre not an unity "dev" or some javascript 3d engine that im sure exists or is being created at this very moment

2D is easier so yes

No you fucking can’t

churn something out? Definitely 2D
setup long-term project with significantly higher chance of pitfalls, 3D
assuming both are from scratch

no,the game hacking/debbuging/memory editing and software renderer is the hardest part

just check an emulator

youtube.com/watch?v=y71lli8MS8s

Minecraft is a clone of the old infiniminer game.

if that user's talking about a first person camera moving on a single floating plane with the ability to place and stack single blocks, I think it's pretty possible to do that relatively quickly in unity.

I'm a 3D artist and can make a AAA quality tier model, rig it, texture it, retopology, uv unwrapping etc. and sell it.

youtube.com/watch?v=29vUp09JDAg
youtube.com/watch?v=AY2g7AiMtLk
he did it in 2 weeks in c++ with unreal

kys

They're not as long as there's an easy api to work with, and if you made the game then ez pz

I reckon I could put together a Minecraft type engine in a few months using OpenGL and C++. I don't want to because I'm working on other things but I probably could.

Emulators have very little to do with games and are more about hardware.

You can, but you have to be smart as fuck, hard working and, have a lot of spare time. Not a combination that comes about often.

op is talking about programming in general

>invent a genre
>here's an example that wasn't original

That's great, I'm sure you're good at that, but don't try and pretend like you're an ace gamedev just because you can copy & paste blueprints. Loading your game with pre-made scripts is the equivalent of using stock art assets, which if you have any taste (I hope you do) then you know how tacky that looks.

Audio programming is the final boss of programming.

Well the games I work on are mostly atmospherical and requires minimal coding, basic stuffs are enough.

To give an idea of my level, I worked on "Allison road", you can check here youtube.com/watch?v=__i_LoRKhJ0 (shameless self adv.)

So what I am saying is that I have previously tried to implement true buoyancy in a game engine. I gave up and just made it look like buoyancy. It struck me how difficult it would be to do real world buoyancy simulation in a game using the engineering equations etc. I have no engineering experience so it might be that they never find themselves dealing with that kind of problem.

2D, it's easier to learn and visualize 2D math but it's easily convertible to 3D once you know it.

NP != P

See:
I came here to post this.

>what's the point of this photo? Rip offs were always a thing.
Look up

Entirely depends on how hard do you hate yourself. If you seriously hate yourself, you'll start from scratch and end up with a slow buggy shit, if you end with anything at all. Any sane man should use an engine - you don't even have to know programming much. See Undertale.

Game programming is the final boss of UX design.

Working on traffic simulation, can confirm.
The hardest thing in gamedev, from the standpoint of programming is build systems and serialization.

>programming hard, not smart
heh goyim ...

>Kernel Dev is the final boss
Also OS, compiler and AI programming. I couldn't even begin to imagine what Stallman went through to write one from scratch in the 80's.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_Collection

only if final boss will be named sholomo sheklestein

Using libraries is not programming, you faggot.
Write your own library and come back here saying it's easy.

if your games company has a shit programmer your game will be shit generic copy paste crap.

Nice demo
God i wish that were me, would cuddle amd fugg

ure way more likely to fuck up and not even finish the game if you rolled your own

Here's the reason why 90% of modern games are shit

Attached: HorribleSubs_New_Game_03_720p.mkv_snapshot_01.05_2016.08.04_22.46.05.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

>Minecraft's gameplay isn't that hard
>you can code a similar game in 2 weeks
*a shitty rip off is easy to do.
But making a better one is hard.

Look at the crane. It has picked up a truck as well as a shipping container

>Kernel, OS and compiler
This

the final boss of programming is video codecs like FFMPEG

It's either ultra-low latency or cryptography.

le carmak faec

The hard part of it is the amount of state you have to juggle. You end up with tons of state machines with tons of states each. On top of that you have to deal with user input on each of the states.

They aren't hard, they just take a lot of work. Emulators are only hard if you don't have the specs of the hardware and have to reverse engineer it yourself or play guessing games. There's lots of NES and GameBoy documentation out there that you can use to make your own, it is no wonder that there are so many emulators for these systems out there (see github.com/search?utf8=✓&q=gameboy emulator&type=)

Kernel and compiler programming is only as hard as you want it to be.

There's a lot of research and algorithms available that you can use/implement in your project and if you are working with intel architecture the hardware layer is pretty much standardized at this point. Not to mention all the free documentation that Intel gives you about their processors.

No, Game GUI programming is the final boss. It's impossible to make a GUI no one will shit on.

Game programming in a team is like trying to keep a house habitable while everyone is flooding all the rooms with water while pissing and shitting on the floor.

just do like Paradox and use Modifiers instead of actual AI

There are lots of things to take into considerations and especially if you are making an OS. Systems programming require lots of theory to be done properly

>the gnu coreutils were written using proprietary software

Attached: 1519737200291.jpg (1440x1080, 732K)

GUI programming is nothing compared to multithread dev, kernel dev, simu-dev, etc.

This topic is so dumb. Any type of programming can be 'hard' depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

A game that has sentient AI built via billions of user data with real-world accurate physics using innovative compression to keep a file size of 100MB while using advanced cryptography to encrypt to ensure integrity of the programming

you know have the most complex game on the planet.

>randomly stringing tech-y words
Oh my, why does /v/ think it knows anything at all about programming, let alone CS.

Attached: dorf.jpg (300x300, 5K)

I program for a living, and the entire point was to include a bunch of programming fields.

Kindly fuck off now.

>
Game ai is the secret final boss

Not even close. There are lots of industries where the programs are extremely complex compared to a computer game that runs on a single computer.

No. It can be as hard or easy as you want it to be. A lot of it depends on what game your making though.
Speaking from experince, a pong clone is piss easy to make. A chess engine in matlab on the other hand, makes you want to kill yourself

A program running on multiple computers doesn't automatically make it more complex.

Daily reminder no one cares about your shit code.

Art assets is all that matters.

its the same shit, for working as Senior 3d game developer you need to know basic math for systems modelling the same course you get in control theory. The only difference is that your models are validated against a real life system.

No one cares until they play the game and don't understand why it's not fun to play.

whats best paying ? game code shitter or asset cucker ?

Complete and utter bullshit. Design is important, sure, but nothing can beat a well programmed game. No matter how good visuals might be, if the game runs or plays like shit, or is filled with bugs, then nothing else matters.

so I should dedicate to make Text based RPG games ?

Do it. I'm making a Gnomoria like game. Think of adventure mode from dwarf fortress but with multiplayer.

Attached: graphicsthing.png (580x311, 438K)

This bait made me laugh.

If it would be a better game than something else, sure.
Like I said, design is important, but it means fuck all without good programming behind it. A well made text based game will always be better than a poorly optimized, buggy AAA game no matter how good the AAA game looks.
Does this mean art assets or the video parts of games don't matter? Fuck no. Nobody on earth will ever say that art doesn't matter, because it definitely does. But when the focus on art and how a game looks takes precedent over the quality of the programming or the actual quality of gameplay, then you have a problem.
If you can make a well made, optimized and fun game with great art assets, then go for it. If a text based rpg is the best you can do without making the game run or play like shit, then focus on text based rpgs

Didn't this get cancelled?

It would seem that the problem with these silent hill clones is that the horror market is too saturated right now. Anyone can make a model of their grandma's house, throw some blood in the walls, rig up some shitty zombies, and call it a game.

It brings to light another problem with these UE4 games which is that since literally everything is *required* to be a highly detailed static mesh, your production costs are guaranteed to be high, and despite that, you will never have any interesting game mechanics/storytelling beyond bog-standard adventure game stuff, maybe with some early 2000s physics puzzles thrown in if you have time to do it.

Kek good bait freindo

Everything you do while programming is using libs you didnt write

I wonder if that poor bastard sleeps at night sometimes.

That goes against the entire logic of programming.
Let's see, use a library that someone spent their entire life & meaning crafting to be perfect, or just LEL FUCK DEM and do literally everything yourself from scratch.

God damn I hate faggots like you.

In a world where programmers/developers aren't being forced to innovate/optimize to their fullest because of the power supplied to them even on small scales. Games on the other hand, rely on your program running in real-time and fast, and any obvious performance drops need to get fixed so autists on /v/ don't shit themselves.

USA truly is marvelous when you can make a living off of being a retard at something.
If the point was to include a bunch of programming fields, why would it need to lack any sense? You could have included actual challenges from bunch of field, instead of stringing together random buzzwords.
LARPing is welcome at >>/v/, not here.

Why the fuck would I go in-depth over a post on Jow Forums in a retarded thread in which hardly anyone would even read.

You further iterate my point by meme spouting everything as /v/. You have added nothing of value to this topic. Shoo already

Games can have all aspects of programming, so yes, it can be.
Making a world simulation is hard
Making a good game mechanic is hard
Making a balanced game is hard enough on its own. Rock paper scissors is balanced, but you can't design every game like that.
There need to be multiple strategies in order to make the game be playable for a long time.
Making a good story is hard too. The best games I have played didn't really have a story, but if you want to make a game with a story, this is incredibly hard to do as well.
Anyone can make a game. It doesn't take much skill to use existing solutions to lego your way to your own game, but I don't think many people can do it without some experience.

Just have people solve 50 chaptchas to fire their weapon.

Modern "game programming" is basically clicking in an engine editor (Hotline Miami was made in Game Maker ffs).
The times of John Carmack and writing engines from scratch are long gone.

2-4 words describing a challenging problem might be too in-depth to you, for you lack any knowledge whatsoever, but it sure as hell is pretty succinct for an actual programmer.
If your goal was to come off as a retard in a retarded thread, then you sure succeeded. If your goal was anything else, your post was a failure.
By defending one of the most braindead fields of programming, you've already outed yourself as a /v/ LARPER, no need to get angry about people calling you out on it.
>You have added nothing of value to this topic
Neither did you. Value of my post is exposing you as a /v/ LARPER that you are, since neo-Jow Forums is pretty retarded in general and might take your word-soup seriously.
Here's another value, free of charge:
Scheduling in hard-realtime systems, in fact most components of a hard-realtime systems are more difficult to design and implement than a whole AAA game.
Filesystems that don't lose data - only one such fs exists so far.
Formal verification.
Anything that touches unconstrained (or constrained) nonlinear optimization.
These are challenging fields (or bosses, as OP calls it), not game development where (assuming you write your own engine), all you need is a little bit of lingebra, surface-level knowledge of superscalar architecture and maaaaaybe some slight idea of how operating system works.