Asking to use a spesific type of machine

I just got offered a job at a game dev company I really like. However, when I was in the office, most employees I saw were using Mac laptop. I'd much prefer using a windows machine.

How do I go about requesting this? Or will doing so make me look undesirable/hard to work with? (I already was offered the job, and there's only 6 other ppl)

Attached: psp-mini-hero-upgrade-macos-high-sierra_2x.png (880x480, 382K)

Seriously, if they need you to work with Apple machines then youre going to have to work with em. I wouldnt either but honestly just suck it up and make money. Who cares.

What if I offered to use my own machine?

>most employees I saw were using Mac laptop.
they're not too bad, I have one at work. The battery life is amazing and since I work mostly in the terminal, it's not too different than my debian machines at home. Thank god we at least don't use windo-
>I'd much prefer using a windows machine.
ah, disregard what I just said. You're obviously a fucking retard.

they would rightfully tell you to fuck right off.

TOP FUCKING KEK

nailed it user

How fucking young and inexperienced must you be to ask this question.
Game development is where you belong, we look forward to your posts about how superior macs are in the near future.

>I'd much prefer using a windows machine.

offering to bring an outside machine into a production environment would also get you rightfully put on a shit list. hope you're not in a right to work state.

Attached: Boss-kick-fire-1.jpg (2850x2174, 1.03M)

No idea there was so many Mac fags
Clearly ya'll never made a game before.

Obviously you will be hard to work with if you use a different operating system, depending on what you use of course..But it's highly unlikely everyone using Electron apps for everything.

>"Hey bro, just sent you the sketch file!"
O..oh I'm on w-windows..

It's just better if everyone uses the same OS.

Neither have you.
You are a code monkey now, you use what is given to you.
Hardware is completely and utterly fucking irrelevant.
Programming for Windows ? You will likely use Windows as OS.
Programming for macOS / iOS ? You will likely use macOS.
Programming for Android ? You said you had a job.... but hey you live in the IDE, OS barely matters.

What you can do is choose your input method and bring your own.
If somebody looks at you funny just say ergonomics.

and clearly you've never been employed.

The company should always pay for shit like that so no. Plus, you don't know how they manage the machines, BYOD might not be feasible in the first place. Just suck it up and use a Mac. That's real life. Not like they can make you use a Mac at home.

Let me know when the next Farmville/Candy Crush is done. I am of simple mind, and my Mac plays those games the best for some reason.

Attached: 1518689145342.jpg (345x343, 38K)

>macshit
>work
Want to know how I know you're an unemployed loser that spends their entire day writing gay fanfiction at starbucks?

It's just two or three rabid 12 year old fags that come to the defense of their fruit cult if anyone dares to to say anything negative about their cock sucking lifestyle.

Attached: 1525611136659.jpg (1000x710, 290K)

If it bothers you so much dual boot windows

If he was in it to make money he wouldn't be doing gamedev. Anyone that can gamedev can earn more doing other dev.

Attached: 1506167229106.jpg (480x480, 51K)

1. Take the job and do the work.
2. Prove you know your shit.
3. Get on your boss' good side, then ask.
4. Be sure to form the request in a way that benefits THEM, i.e. your productivity would be better if not hindered by the fucking shitshow that is fagOS
5. (Optional) Sabotage mac users if you want them to get on your platform to make it easier on the whole company.

>Hey user, how have you gone familiarizing yourself with the codebase?
>Oh, manager x said i could BYO windows machine. Unfortunately the buildchain doesnt work on windows so i've spent my induction period trying to fix my local build. It's building now, but i havent got the unit tests running. I'll get around to looking at some code next sprint, maybe.

Windows fucking sucks. Why would you want to use it?

Ask in the interview about their workstation policies.
I'm still unemployed but with my experiance in job interviews, hardware in enterprise is generally work issued or BYO. Depends on security really.

One setup allowed people to use either a mac or windows device (I'd assume linux is on the list too with limited support).
But, the machines are for work programs only. You can't install your own software on them, you need the ITS team to install it for you. This is generally since they have to make sure the software aligns with the internal policy and usage rights.
Everything was hoocked into the active directory

Here, let me help you OP.

"Hey , I actually prefer to work in a Windows environment normally. Is it possible for me to get a Windows laptop? If not, it's not a big deal, I am fine with Macs as well. Really excited to get started!"

Wow, that was real fucking hard. Any even slightly grown up dev shop will be able to support multiple OS in their production. With just 6 people, it may be more of a pain than it is worth. The best way to ask up for anything OP, is give off the impression that you know less than the person you are making the request to. The reality is most of the time, you actually do know less. If you do this, be polite, and make it not seem like a big deal, you will get an honest answer, and it won't hurt your reputation (as long as you don't do it too often)

> i.e. your productivity would be better if not hindered by the fucking shitshow that is fagOS
Hahahha, and when the opposite takes place they'll fire him and keep the laptop.

Mac users have jobs usually. Wintoddlers just spend all day play games.

>ah, disregard what I just said. You're obviously a fucking retard.
Found the Marketing department "professional".

>I just got offered a job at a game dev company I really like. However, when I was in the office, most employees I saw were using Mac laptop. I'd much prefer using a windows machine.
>How do I go about requesting this? Or will doing so make me look undesirable/hard to work with?

Wait, so they aren't buying you a new computer?

If they aren't offering, you shouldn't ask for shit. Do whatever you can afford, and if you still feel awkward in three months, buy a MBP and get rid of those awkward feelings.

No it wouldn't. They'd just say "no BYOD", or "yeah sure, BYOD".

Am I the only person on this board thats actually employed?

Give MacOS a try OP, its super comfy for dev work. It's also super easy to pick up, you will be up to speed in a week.

>super
Onions.

Don't be that guy. When you do this you go against the standards that IT has setup. It makes management for them much more difficult to work with and support instead of the one standard.

I say this as someone that uses the latest MBP at work that would greatly prefer a Dell or Thinkpad with Ubuntu on it. I'd rather not be the special snowflake and make life difficult for everyone else just because I don't want to use OSX. Frankly too, it also means if there's some fucked up and I can't get it to work under whatever OS I'm using, it now means I'm liable for it, vs if it were under OSX IT would be responsible to get it up and running.

>being sysadmin for actually +3k win shit machines
>reading OP
>mfw

Attached: huhuh.jpg (800x800, 53K)

Well, since they are not going to pay you in peanuts then you should go with mac so you don't have clashing ecosystems. I bet your indie company works in Unity, which is available for both OS, but then you may run into stream problems where if they use airdrop (for example) you will be left out of it and it will be pain in the ass for you and for everyone. For the first 2 days you can go there with your existing windows machine and see it fits well (maybe they use multi OS software for everything idk) and if it doesn't tell your boss that you will get mac next day.

My friend is an owner of small indie game company and he uses iMac with macbook pro. Professionals and creators don't care about small shit that Jow Forums does like how retarded some parts of finder implementation and/or that their linux distro have better compiling times. For them priority in OS is stability and ease of use so it doesn't get in a way of their work which is what OS X is.

>sipping double shot espresso while working on your novella
>job

When it comes to dev work then you're going with a Mac or a Linux dist.

Macs just have more productivity with most companies because they just werk and features like AIrdrop between people really fucking easily. Also most programs (ie. Adobe) don't work well on Linux.

Not for game development, unless you're making something for iOS or very primitive.

Get over it OP, there is nothing wrong with actually using a mac. Their problem is that they're way overpriced for what they are, but if you're not the one paying then who cares?

Chances are it's because they want to develop for iOS, and for that you pretty much need a Mac.
The flip side to this is that Macs are generally under-powered for game development, especially if they want to use a processor-hungry engine like Unreal 4. The rule of thumb is that you always want your dev platform to have more processing power than the target hardware.
Regarding cross-platform compatibility, nearly all major 3D programs are available on both Windowns and OSX, so there is usually no reason for issues. Even the few programs that are platform-bound all use industry-standard file formats like FBX anyway, so there's still no problem there.
The biggest issue with Macs is that all of the current ones use AMD hardware, but a lot of 3D software prefers CUDA for rendering, baking and processing data.

Okay guys. So quick update. I just got into the building earlier today and went into the office. I told my boss that I think Mac computers are way overrated and that he would save thousands buying thinkpads.

He was surprised and told me to explain myself, I basically said that thinkpads are the better value for the price and showed him some amazon listings for some basic models.

He laughted a bit and I offered to show him he was wrong.

So now he gave me a mbp and I’m planning on selling it ($1k) and getting a thinkpad ($400) with the money and leave the extra money on his desk ($600).

What are some thinkpad models I can get with $400?

t. tpg slutposter

> So now he gave me a mbp and I’m planning on selling it ($1k) and getting a thinkpad ($400) with the money and leave the extra money on his desk ($600).
That will probably not go that well but it's your job I guess.
> What are some thinkpad models I can get with $400?
Well that's kind of starting out backwards, think about the specs of that MBP and find the closest match at the Lenovo outlet.

Any company that cares about its tools more than its actual results is not worth working for.

>thinkpad
Okay, this is now reading like a 2/10 greentext... seriously, how can you possibly complain about the presence of Macbooks, when your proposed alternative is a fucking thinkpad?
Based on the first post I thought the complaint was leveled towards hardware that's a dubious choice for game development, compared to say a high-end desktop PC, but instead you propose something that's even worse because on top of still being under-powered, you lose the convenience of using a Mac in an environment where everyone is already has one.
I don't know what aspect of development you're expected to handle, but more often than not you want the fastest hardware possible, whether it's art and animation, game design and AI, sound or whatever else have you. Just imagine getting some old-ass thinkpad that can't render adaptive lighting or global illumination because it's stuck on DirectX10 with the shitty GPU it's got in there. Bet your boss won't be laughing then.

>t. desperate larping mactoddler

Shit bro that's hectic. You should totally sell the mac book yourself, like it's business property, but like you should totally sell it dewd, in Craigslist or some such, And yea, leave the cash on the boss desk

Lol this is not OP

>frantic kvetching

Oy goy, we got 'em

Attached: constanza manga.jpg (200x200, 11K)

please don't be a fag enabler

are you fuckin retarded? get over your tech preferance and just work with whatever your boss gives you. dont be such a little faggot jesus

Any half decent company will provide a machine their employees are comfortable working with.
In my office alone we have new recruits with brand new imacs, devs with Linux and windows, and your standard workstation's with W10. You should never be afraid to ask for something that will demonstrably make you more productive.