?ubuntu 18.04

Alright, it's been over a week since the latest LTS has been out.

Which is the best flavour from your experience?

Attached: kubuntuBB.png (1026x580, 444K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/1545080/c-code-file-extension-cc-vs-cpp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Arch

Ubuntu MATE is the most polished and cares about its users - new and old. You can choose a panel layout to your liking and work from there at creating a desktop experience to your liking.

Kubuntu

best

unstable shit

I tried both of those and they break so easy it's laughable. I also tried Xubuntu and it's as stable as always BUT screen tear is still around and there's no real fix unless you have a piece of shit intel IGP. Of course I also tried "normal" Ubuntu and its modified GNOME is so fucking shitty oh my god. It looks like it was designed by 400 different people and they never spoke to each other and just pasted their ideas together in 2 hours. Installing vanilla GNOME3 on top just breaks everything and, while more cohesive, continues being shitty.

I can't believe Linux has been around for almost 30 years and ubuntu has been around for almost 15 and STILL there is no "just werks no matter what" DE out there. There's always SOMETHING that won't work properly. Unironically the most """""""""just werks"""""""""" DE out there is Pantheon and that's only because they lock you out of customization almost completely. Gonna try Budgie now but I have ZERO hope at this point.

Jesus Christ people. The year of the linux desktop will never come. I am convinced now.

Attached: switch.gif (498x278, 625K)

There are bugs in Windows too. Any bugs are usually minor and you can workaround them.

Kde is currently the best DE

>anime

Attached: 3a7.jpg (680x680, 77K)

source: your ass

maybe but none that ruin the entire GUI after a few tweaks.

chinese cartoon website

I would advise you to try a distribution of the GNU operating system with the Linux kernel such as Gentoo or Void GNU/Linux, rather than a distribution of NSA/SystemD such as Ubuntu or Arch. NSA/SystemD has proven to be unauditable, feature creep malware and I’m afraid that your use of such a system puts your data at risk of spying, theft, or manipulation not only by the NSA, but third parties such as the Russian FSB as NSA backdoors inevitably get leaked into the wild.

lubuntu

MX Linux, no systemd cancer and it just works.

kubuntu is trash.
t. used it for 5 years

Is KDE still the only one with a real filepicker?

It's an endless argument, just pick one you like

Lubuntu

also
>it's been over a week since the latest LTS has been out
you're not supposed to update to that until it's .1 release
but retards do it anyway

what's the point in waiting for the .1 release?

>Wastebin

Attached: 1525352712107.png (1440x810, 588K)

Xubuntu>MATE>Ubuntu>Kubuntu>rest

Been using Kubuntu since it came out, besides two 'Baloo has crashed' errors that I got just when I installed it (after the first restart), haven't had any more problems (and I haven't stopped Baloo).
Solid system so far, the .1 update will only make things better I guess (and hopefully, Plasma will be updated to 5.12.5).
Also, that font rendering... Shit is so cash.
Mate seems like a pretty good release also, but right now KDE is the way to go for me.

Hmm

It took you 5 years to figure out kubuntu was trash?

Let's all listen to this guy everyone. He seems quick on the uptake

/thread

kubuntu is best.
t. used it for a year
Yes, but arch has a patch for gtk file picker.

Should I install kubuntu on my SSD which only has 15 gb left on it or on my 1tb HDD?

im trying to install kubuntu but it keeps crashing on the splash loading screen... like ive tried rufus and unebootin

Debian with KDE.

Tried it for 15 minutes until a realized I am stuck with that ugly green colour for the dock because the developers didn't include an option to change it.

netinstall mini.iso

Elementary OS

>doesn't even come with the option of changing your wallpaper automatically

that'd be in the "right click" menu and it doesn't have that because "muh macOS-like experiensh"

I just installed regular ubuntu and switched the DE to cinnamon. What's the point of maintaining these ubuntu variants if all the DEs are now available for hot swapping on the regular ubuntu? Reduction in bloat/smaller footprint?

I tried installing Kubuntu and somehow I'm getting multiple login screens, and I can get past them.

As in, I log in through one. Start getting the loading screen, then another pops up. Do this a few times, kwin breaks and I'm exposed to two or three independent login screens all in separate windows.

It's broken, Jim.

>I can't believe Linux has been around for almost 30 years and ubuntu has been around for almost 15 and STILL there is no "just werks no matter what" DE out there.
There was, it was called Ubuntu 10.04. then Gnome 3 happened and we all know the rest

Tried Debian stable with KDE recently, besides having to disable the compositor entirely (because awful glitches) it worked decently. That was until I decided it was time to move on to testing and the entire system shat itself after 3 days because fuck you.
It's getting beyond sad at this point

eh, gnome2 was unstable too. If you don't believe me use ubuntu MATE and customize the DE.

Kubuntu obviously.
-t Unity user since 2012.

I tried GNOME3 and even with extensions it was less featured than KDE5.
I'm pretty happy with KDE5, although some web forms with the dark theme could be improved.

Attached: konned.png (930x522, 102K)

ubuntu with gnome-session and my favorite extensions and theme workin fine for me!

Attached: 1523239326841.jpg (720x960, 237K)

This is happening in Ubuntu too.

sudo apt purge ubuntu-report popularity-contest apport whoopsie

Feelin' good.

Attached: Screenshot_20180507_130252.png (543x303, 44K)

>install lubuntu
>install g++/gcc
>install atom
>make a simple cout program to test compiling through terminal for the 1st time in my life
>file not detected despite cd-ing in the folder and the file being there
and i was so excited
guess im heading back to winpoo and visual studio

Install Ubuntu Gnome 16.04
Unironically the most refined and stable linux experience, and if you run into an issue there's thousands of threads about it with solutions.

That's because of GTK3
OG Gnome 2 was stable as fuck, so much you could throw a bunch of fancy/ridiculous effects and it wouldn't break or lose performance

Surprisingly Kubuntu.
I have not tried KDE since KDE 4, which was one of the worst desktop environments ever, but the current version is easily customizable, fast and not more bloated than any of the other shit.

your file needs to have a compliant extension
>GNU GCC recognises all of the following as C++ files, and will use C++ compilation regardless of whether you invoke it through gcc or g++: .C, .cc, .cpp, .CPP, .c++, .cp, or .cxx.
stackoverflow.com/questions/1545080/c-code-file-extension-cc-vs-cpp

just use *.c for C files and *.cpp for C++ files

still does the same thing

what is the error message?
you have reinstalled the operating system because of that? I hope not.
it surely was not caused by Lubuntu

ok i wasn't aware that i have to set the extension myself upon saving it
thought it did it automatically when i chose c++ grammar
still, the 1st file was saved as a C source file but didn't recognize it

also gnome seems to use 4x as much memory as lubuntu, what the fuck

>he doesn't like anime

Attached: 1519742149741.jpg (800x800, 91K)

>also gnome seems to use 4x as much memory as lubuntu, what the fuck
And that's another reason why we don't use Gnome around here.
Literally any of the other flavors performs better than that fucking foot.

>also gnome seems to use 4x as much memory as lubuntu, what the fuck
Yeah, you should have sticked to Lubuntu.

also, do you know how to run the executable file?

Why so little love here for xubu?

It's light and just works.

Get back on your meds, guy.

>It's light
Not that light.

Attached: 1525121432942.png (1366x768, 106K)

>also, do you know how to run the executable file?
yeah i got this from here

>I also tried Xubuntu and it's as stable as always BUT screen tear is still around and there's no real fix unless you have a piece of shit intel IGP.
I got AMD CPU and GPU and I fixed it with something i googled some months ago but i dont remember what it's called.

i've been distro hopping for about 3 months now and i'm on linux mint atm and i like it quite a lot. other distros feel "unfinished" compared to mint. repos are quite outdated, though. you need to add ppas to get latest software.

Attached: 1525668914937.jpg (1400x1000, 744K)

>repos are quite outdated, though. you need to add ppas to get latest software.
same with buntu

makes sense. mint is based on ubuntu after all.

it's called "installing Windows"

No that's not what I did.

How do I fix screen tearing? Using 18.04 with GNOME that it came with.

I think I tried Kubuntu couple of years ago I didn't like how it did few things in a quirky think (for example Win key wouldn't open Start menu) but damn has it been improved since.

frens?

>(for example Win key wouldn't open Start menu)
Yeah that was retarded, it was one of reasons KDE rustled my jimmies back then.
Now it's all good.

Normal ubuntu with Cinnamon DE

It's almost not noticeable when I just use my laptop but after I plug in my monitor or a TV it starts tearing on both screens.

What's your setup? Are you using a laptop with a dedicated graphics card? Is that graphics card nVidia?

kubuntu seems null and void now that KDE neon does it better

Attached: IMG_04042018_220621_0.png (380x468, 262K)

>thousands of threads about broken ubuntu
>unironically most refined and stable linux experience

Attached: CqcnM6XVMAAPsKW.jpg (1000x751, 112K)

probably on the HDD my guy. I intalled Kubuntu on a 45GB partition and it still doesn't feel like enough

>developers didn't include an option to change it
>developers aren't holding my hand
Just change it yourself user

exactly lubuntu is for children

for a real development environment, try Debian Sid.

>>>/reddit/

No.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-08 01-22-17.png (467x105, 19K)

Damn I don't know then. What's the refresh rate of your montior?

They made mouse acceleration even harder to turn off

kill me please

60 Hz.

>you're not supposed to update to that until it's .1 release
why not?

No

I agree desu

Attached: screenFetch-2018-05-07_21-18-48.png (1366x768, 520K)

bad idea

>There was, it was called Ubuntu 10.04. then Gnome 3 happened and we all know the rest
The uproar was over Unity after 10.04. Gnome3 didn't exist for years to come. Now,everybody bitches that Unity is gone.There's no pleasing people,I swear. There's literally nothing bad enough in 99% of the Linux desktops to warrant the ungrateful bullshit these people throw around. Dumbshits complain about a fucking file picker, but can't fire up enough neurons to realize the real issue to be concerned with is the tangled mess we have with this Xorg/Wayland fiasco.

Gentoo