Plex

anyone use plex? i think it's a great peice of software desu

Attached: plex.jpg (960x540, 17K)

Shit clone on XBMC/Kodi with a botnet proprietary server.
It's pretty meh.

Just use Kodi and SMB.

Yeah it's pretty dank

I like it but sometimes it bugs and appears offline from outside of lan.

I'm using it as a local media server (not enough upload bandwidth).
Is Kodi really better?
Asking because never tried it

how does Kodi provide for remote watching? I thought you needed to have a different install of Kodi for each device you wanted to watch Kodi from.

I still dont really understand why people want/need Plex.
Is it for people who have torrent boxes that download shows/movies to a pc, so that they could pull them up on their phone/tv in home?

Yea, why not just use a wire? Although it would become a hassle if you use an Apple device...

yes.

I download a show/movie to my Desktop and my gf can watch it on her TV instantly.

The only setup required is linking the TV with my desktop. Takes less than 2 minutes.

That's true.
Kodi is just the client, you need to host your media on a separate server.
For sharing it you just use existing protocols, for example DLNA or SMB for LAN-Streaming and stuff like HTTP, FTP or SFTP for streaming from outside your network.

Kodi doesn't do remote streaming.

>so that they could pull them up on their phone/tv in home?

and everywhere else. I have 5 friends who I give access to my plex account. I torrent shows for them on request and they can stream it immediately from most smart tvs, ps4, ps3, xbox, apple tv, roku etc.
If I meet someone with another plex account we can merge our libraries.

Everyone complaining about how kodi is better than plex doesn't know what plex can do.

It also has a bunch of gimmicks like a VR mode so you can watch movies with friends in a virtual room.

I run plex on my home server and I never watch anything through it myself but sharing libraries with friends and family is really easy for both ends, and mostly just works.
Even my tech illiterate father can watch my chinese cartoons from his ipad on his chromecast

It's like your own private netflix but you host the server.

I use it as media library for my parents.

Plex is not only paid, but subscription based.
Fuck that.

I use Kodi.

I just use a SMB share that I can access from Kodi on my TV

Attached: 1514933373448.gif (500x650, 1.35M)

>I use Kodi.
doesnt do the same thing so stfu

I use it heavily. Run a server for the senpai and friends, handles like 8 transcode jobs in parallel. I let it transcode ahead by like 10 minutes to alleviate my garbage upload speed. Streams capped at 2Mbps. Give the plex VM 8 cores and it’s set for anything. Going to start optimizing the 4K remuxes since that’s the only thing the Xeon will transcode at slower than real-time (usually 0.8 speed according to tautuli or whatever the new name is. Everything else is like 8x). Leave in docker container and scheduled weekly Wednesday 5am restarts for easy maintenance

Pretty happy with it

can that transcode video?

>doesnt do the same thing so stfu
Let's see:
1. Organizes all my Media
2. Has plugins for pretty much everything
3. Can watch remotely

Isn't the point of Plex accessing videos from a server? Kodi can do that.
No but most stuff will run, I just avoid downloading the h264 10-bit meme.

>No but most stuff will run, I just avoid downloading the h264 10-bit meme.

How much bandwidth does that use then if it is a higher quality video?
Sounds like if I wanted to have more than a few people on it then it would shit the bed.

Yep, works perfect for my torrented shows/movies on my computer -> TV

Attached: 1412533992707.jpg (560x420, 38K)

I don't know, but it works fine here for most uses. I guess high bitrate 4K videos could stutter if it's on WiFi, but I haven't tried that.
>Sounds like if I wanted to have more than a few people on it then it would shit the bed.
It's only for me, it's a local network share and I live by myself.

I think your bottocks is a great peice of hardware

>It's only for me, it's a local network share and I live by myself.
Then why not Kodi?

...I use Kodi.

>clone

lol discarded

Nothing but good things on my end besides the price for the pass to use the phone/tablet apps (I just had a friend add me after he bought a pass and so I get one too as long as we are added as friends. Just werks). I run it in a container on my proxmox server.

- Remote playback with bandwidth adjustment on the fly if the connection is shit where I’m at

- Metadata is instantly fetched, no “Avengers.Age.of.Ultron.AnAlSh1t-FAGGOTBUTTSEX.mp4” garbage that I have to manually change

- Low RAM usage (under like 150mb unless it’s transcoding)

- Android/Apple TV and mobile apps are great, same with the WebUI

- Doesn’t require any fucking with permissions and shit just to make it work securely like SMB

- has an unofficial Kodi plugin if I want to tie my Raspberry Pis to it

Works great for me.

Also to add and clear up misconception, Android/Apple TV/Chromecast apps are free. You don’t need the pass for it. You only need it for the phone apps. If you only use media centers for plex and no mobile remote playback, you never have to spend a dime.

This is why I use it. Netflix is shit, they keep pushing their Netflix Originals, instead of having good movies.

Attached: Screenshot_20180507-103844.png (1080x1920, 378K)

>Kodi can do that

Does Kodi have a built in transcoder for streaming over the internet? As far as I know you have to manually convert your files to more bandwidth-friendly copies beforehand. Plex doesn’t have to do this.

I like it, can keep all my media on one PC (server) and stream to every device. Transcodes and stuff too, in case bandwidth or processor is an issue.

You've obviously never used it, since it's server based not client based, it's for a very different use.

free version does basically everything, unless you want trailers and shit.

>things that do the same thing are all clones and only the original matters
whatevs bruh. kodi has too much eye candy and uses too many resources. and that botnet server you complain about gives you easy access to your content from anywhere, not just home

paid for premium features only, which most folk don't need or want

they aren't the same, Kodi is more stand alone where Plex is way more server based. If you just have a HTPC or car computer Kodi is probably best, if you have a central server/pc and lots of TVs, Phones, Tablets, or any external PCs (work, family, GF, etc) Plex is the winner.

U should check out ombi, so u don't have to manually download everything for ur friends. I use it for my group of friends and I've never had a problem. U should also look into sonarr and radarr. They both work with ombi

It's awesome. I share my library with my friends/family and I can watch shit on my phone when I'm not home. It's the only piece of software I've actually bought in years because it was just that good.

Kodi is a client, not a server.

It's also a server.

>Download a shitton of anime
>Store it in the NAS
>Travel out of state for either work or some other shit
>Be at hotel, Plex through my tablet / laptop
>Enjoy comfy anime

Attached: 1517690115825.jpg (2048x1152, 268K)

Thanks for answering my question, which is what I was trying to say, it can’t do that. It relies on the server to do it, while Plex does it all as a suite with no config needed. Kodi can’t do the same things as Plex, it doesn’t mean it’s bad, but it just can’t without external plugins that may or may not be supported officially.

In a minimal sense, yes, it just provides files locally with some metadata (if that). That’s literally all it does. It doesn’t do anything else by itself. You need scripts, plugins and external programs from outside sources to make it do the same things as Plex.

Because it just werks and is set up in minutes, doesn’t require manual config of every Kodi box to get it set up. Just log in and it’s ready and you can access your content from basically any device, anywhere at any time and adjust bandwidth if you’re on a constrained connection. Kodi is just a client with some basic sharing capabilities. You don’t have to pay for Plex unless you use the apps on mobile. You can still use the web interface on a phone for free, and FireTV, chromecast apps are free too.

With Kodi, I’d have to set up dynamic DNS and all that shit just to access it outside my network, and even then, I still can’t adjust bandwidth to what I need. If I have massive 4K rips that I wanna watch on the go somewhere, Kodi is going to struggle with that because it can’t transcode to a smaller bitrate by itself, it lacks that functionality. I’d have to manually convert everything first and that’s just a waste of my time.

>Isn't the point of Plex accessing videos from a server? Kodi can do that.
Plex IS the server. It also offers a web interface so clients don't have to install anything to access it. Kodi is a "simple" client.

It's OK

what about EMBY guys? I had a few issues early on playing 4K content with it, I might give it a try again.

While on the topic, I don't mind paying for movies, but would like to get have them on Plex.
Anyone have a good method for ripping blu-rays?

Everyone I share content with uses either a PS4 or their phone + chromecast to stream media from my Plex server.
Kodi would be nice, and in a perfect world... yeah, I'd prefer we all used it, but not every platform has a Kodi client and not every platform even has a samba client, that and browsing files to play them is caveman-level.

Plex is the best at getting tech-retarded people free content from their friends on just about any platform. It's not the best media server by a long shot... but it's a good middle-ground.

I just pirate what I own. Most of the release groups have more experience encoding than I do and can pull out a bit better quality than I could by tweaking settings for an hour. Saves me the time too. I only rip if I can't find it online.