What is your favorite cross-platform,GUI text editor?

what is your favorite cross-platform,GUI text editor?
i have been looking for a cross-platform GUI text editor lately

Attached: images.png (310x163, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lobste.rs/s/orc6nw/vscode_still_sends_search_keystrokes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Emacs. It's 42 years old and still under active development so learning it isn't wasted effort (hint: Atom, electron tier wankery, etc.). There are thousands of well maintained packages (e.g. melpa.org) and It just werks on all platforms. Truly the masterrace.

Vim. It's 42 years old and still under active development so learning it isn't wasted effort (hint: Atom, electron tier wankery, etc.). There are thousands of well maintained keybindings (e.g. dw, ciB etc.) and It just werks on all platforms. Truly the masterrace.

Attached: vim-editor_logo-300x300.png (300x300, 22K)

fpbp
>There are thousands of well maintained keybindings
That made me chuckle.

>vim's first release:1991
>42 years
>just copy and paste without changing the details

gvim

my favourite cross-platform gui text editors are visual studio code, neovim, and emacs, depending on what I'm doing

>42 years
lol

Sublime 2, pretty light weight, looks good. Idk bout packages n stuff but it's probs pretty flexible.

Geany, vim, emacs, vscode, I use anything I can get my hands on

Emacs is the best.
It's extendable beyond belief! It has web browsers, macros, email clients and a package manager!
You can do almost anything you want with it and all in just a small, 150mb package
You can theme it, use it as a terminal multiplexer, mpd client and even a window manager!
You can expand it with its dialect of lisp and it's made by Richard Stallman (that privacy nut)

Attached: pngR9b4lzUy39.png (256x258, 33K)

Everyone knows it's Atom, because code looks so cool in it, you can just get high and stare at the code man...

Attached: images.jpg (275x184, 5K)

>just copy and paste without changing the details

Actually vi is also 42 years old, which I thought was a neat coincidence so I left it.

Attached: vi.png (328x514, 38K)

Emacs and vscode

I've been using vim for 6 months now. I now dislike typing on anything else :(

What about the "Emacs is a good OS but it lacks a decent text editor" meme?

ms word

does it have a pic/webm viewer when configureed?

It can show pictures internally, but for you need external video player. But dired (its file manager) is preconfigured to open in your video player

Any time I hear someone say this I immediately know they haven't even tried to learn emacs, and would much rather pussy out and go with Sublime, or whatever the fuck is popular these days.

Emacs is great. Very customizable, and if you don't like something about it (like keybindings), you can just place a couple of lines of lisp code into your initialization file.

This picture is a very accurate representation of emacs's learning curve, though. You never really stop learning (but to be fair, you learn at your own pace. You start using emacs more and more, and you learn about some extension and how to use it properly)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 9.26.02 AM.png (266x288, 67K)

>There are thousands of well maintained packages
>There are thousands of well maintained keybindings

Ooooooh~
huge different between package and keybinding
I will use only one keybind but I will use a lot of packages.

so emacs win

>Vim. It's 42 years old

Nope, it is 21 years old.

I don't know if we should consider emacs as a text editor or not.
bcz it -now- turned into Windows Manager and in future -I think- it will be another Linux distro.

So "Emacs is the only OS wich lacks a text editor" sound to be true

so dired would open the standard video player?

>and would much rather pussy out and go with Sublime
Pussy out? Are you saying that emacs is actually a pain in the ass to set up and any normal person would much rather use sublime, atom, or vs code?

>hes not a saint in the chruch of emacs

Attached: saint-button.png (455x148, 69K)

>Emacs and vscode
Vscode?? Enjoy being spied upon.

lobste.rs/s/orc6nw/vscode_still_sends_search_keystrokes

>If you try to build it yourself, their build script also appears to download and inject additional code into the built artifact from marketplace.visualstudio.com during the build. I opened one two three issues.
>The same thing happens when you try compiling coreclr (called from here), there’s no way to properly bootstrap it. (And of course, there’s some “telemetry” in there as well, enabled by default during the build, before you have a chance to turn it off.)
W e W
e
W

For programming, certainly Atom. For just working with configs on a server and such, I'd pick Emacs.

If you want a "just works" graphical editor that isn't an electron tier webapp, try Kate.
It works right away, but you can extend it to do whatever you want.

Yeah. You can configure keybindings that operate on files and stuff like that

Sure.
If being right on a Mongolian basket weaving forum by completely missing the point of my post makes you happy, then I said exactly whatever brings you joy.

this emacs shilling is getting really weird.