14 YEARS

>linux bugs are patched quic-

Attached: loonixinanutshell.png (742x828, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bountysource.com/issues/3554613-add-an-icon-view-with-thumbnails-mode-like-nautilus
ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>GTK
>Linux

That's brilliant, I'm going to bitch about how buggy VLC is and conclude that Windows is a shit OS.

gtk is still the most used windowing toolkit

Linux will never be good on the desktop, give it up.
I'm hoping Google Fuchsia will be able to do what this shitty Universiityh project copy of Unix never could.

And very few people care, as GNU/Linux desktops are for enthusiasts, while Linux in general is used for a wide-variety of things in the industry.

>Linux
>abstracting everything out into separate projects so you can blame someone else for your inadequacies

Brilliant indeed.

It is. It means that Linux and its components can be used interchangeably on everything from handhelds and toasters to servers and supercomputers, whereas other OSes, where GUI and kernel are tightly integrated, is not so customisable.

Modularity > monoliths

Linux is a kernel.

There's a thread about you:

It's not a bug, it's a feature request.
They're just commonly handled on the bug tracker as well.

>File a feature as a bug
>complain about said feature as if it's a bug.
That's not how it works.

>I'm basing my argument on Jow Forums memes
He's right though, Linux is a kernel.

>and has been closed from further activity

Freetards can't take the heat. Sad!

Attached: baka.png (661x176, 11K)

>memeposting
>heat
kek

bountysource.com/issues/3554613-add-an-icon-view-with-thumbnails-mode-like-nautilus
>closed
what did they mean by this?
what will we get first: true AI or thumbnails in the filepicker?

how can you be that bad at reading?

>being so entitled that you conflate independent projects

Genuine question but, why isn't the icon-view patch considered as one? More likely, if it's there why don't they just combine it to the main code?

Attached: 2004-04-26161019UTC.png (742x828, 70K)

I'd rather work with raw Xlib/Xcb

nobody gives a shit, you don't make any software

>Linux is a kernel.
Torwalds says it's an OS.

>More likely, if it's there why don't they just combine it to the main code?
Because they are some of the most retarded people in open source.

They have a "vision" and everything that does not confirm in the slightest must be purged.

They intentionally don't add perfectly functional and useful features because they personally don't want them.

Those fuckers are going to destroy the good thing that is Gimp's GTK+

GTK is used on *BSDs too so idk why you act like there's even a official Linux "desktop".

Chrome and Android use their own shit.
Xorg itself is older than Linux and designed for mainframes and shared seat environments.

Once the Wayland stack matures we could have something purpose built and suitable to call the Linux "Desktop".

I use headless or console 80% of the time for work and hobby stuff unless gayming anyways.

>Linux and its components can be used interchangeably on everything from handhelds and toasters to servers and supercomputers
This is not a good thing. Especially the first two.

I want some new toolkit to appear.

Make one.

No programming skills necessary.

torwalds is a bitch

At least he actually did something great and doesn't try to leech off the succers of others.

KDE on Opensuse has had this for years. Also available in Neon.

Gnome is depreciated KDE is in the only alternative

It's LKML not LML

ITT: no one read the discussions on the mailing list

No user space.

So DOS isn't an OS?

Qt is the standard cross-platform toolkit used by projects with high standards. GTK is only used by people who want to rapidly develop a Linux+GNOME app.

Linux doesn't even offer a shell.
"Linux" for the normie world is just bash

>Linux will never be good on the desktop, give it up.
It doesn't have to be good, it's already better than Windows. You know, provided your brain doesn't explode when you see command line.

Your definition of OS includes that it needs a shell?

So an embedded system running ChibiOS without any shell or other UI doesn't have an OS?

They won't accept the icon view patch because it's "too slow."

Linux bugs are.
Gnome / GTK bugs, though... oh man.

KDE is only an "alternative" if you're willing to spend several hours customizing it. Otherwise it's just shit.

gtk is trash

>a desired feature is a bug.

>it is fine if you do "uncalled for extra shit"
Or you can just use an OS that works and not "just werks if you ignore the NSA bullshit, install non-free drivers, don't patch the kernel because it will fuck the distro, have a 99999999 mAh battery and have time to config everything because the devs are too retarded to make a useful default config"
Look at how pathetic the GNU/Linux world is.
There was a thread about kali being redundant and then loonixfags were like "muh convenience" and "muh default config"
"muh rare distro with different DE".

Stop being retarded. "Install linux" and see for yourself what I mean, autismo.
Seriously just try and install linux without any GNU or whatnot software.

Everything you just said is completely fucking retarded and therefore no further intelligent discussion is possible. Have a good day and kill yourself.

Like I have on my phone and router?

It seems you're equating OS and Desktop OS.

GTK devs want an efficient solution that won't crap out on directories with lots of files / images. That would be a reusable icon view component in a circular buffer. So it would only render what's actually on the screen, plus some extra so scrolling performs well. I think this requires additional work on a viewmodel that can support this kind of reusable component.

Looks like I hit a nerve.

Attached: e63.png (1920x1080, 590K)

>Linux will never be good on the desktop, give it up.
k

>Like I have on my phone and router
Proof? Without any extra software?
I mentioned the shell because you can't do anything when your run "just linux". It just a kernel plus an init system. That is the equivalent of NT plus smss. Is that an OS if does nothing?

Kek, what are you talking about? No one uses Linux for desktop.

>Is that an OS if does nothing?
An OS without applications is still an OS.

>doesn't contribute to patches
>complains about patches taking forever

You also cannot drag and drop items from a background windows
>not a bug
kek. The whole Linux UX experience is a disaster and the reason why people say 'nothing to hide'. If they'd be able to see the other side by using Linux, freedom would ensue. But like this?
Like this, policestates are not a bug as well.
The people responsible will never understand, as they are outcasts unable to see the world from other peoples eyes.

Attached: 1507078419126.jpg (585x572, 40K)

An OS is a program. It is supposed to do something.
A blank screen is not an OS

>Software project doesn't want to include shitty feature I want, hence, software project is buggy.

And it does things.
You just don't see them.

Well, you do see some of them; just Linux itself has a virtual console and will display messages on your screen.

>It does hurr durr.. {lists things any decent kernel does}
So just a kernel? Great.

Reminder that GTK stands for garbage toolkit.

Sure, more efficiency is good, but the icon view works just fine for common, every day usage. Will it he slow if you open up a directory with thousands of images? Sure. How many people are actually going to do that though?

A decent OS obviously does everything a decent kernel does.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It's lack of feature not bug.

>Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.
>Linus, ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01

That doesn't include DE as its part

The rest of this post was ignored but the point still stands. It is futile "installing linux".
You need a distro (most likely GNU but it is not like Alpine is of any use without GNU) which uses the kernel the way it wants.

The rest of the post just repeats the same wrong point.

An OS makes use of the kernel (core of the OS but is not an OS by itself) to make use of the hardware available (and linux fails at that surprise surprise!) and provide functionality to the end user. If it does nothing but provide a way to talk to the device without making use of such ability, it is not an OS. It is just a kernel.

Surely you can prove it wrong.

Sad torvalds is sad.

there we go

No, that's wrong.
Show me a definition of OS that requires an OS to have user-facing applications.

If I take Linux, run a fizzbuzz binary straight as init on it (or even as a kernel module!) then I'm not running FizzbuzzOS - I'm running my fizzbuzz on Linux, the OS.

Attached: 1516881777996.png (1454x1402, 1.12M)

> Though it is true that a GNOME-based desktop environment most likely uses the GtkFileChooser and as such will not have a thumbnail view, it is beneficial to point out that Linux is a kernel, and no matter what stance one takes on the GNU/Linux debate, Linux by itself will not have a graphical environment, let alone a file picker, and that the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment does in fact have a thumbnail view in its file picker, and that it is glorious. Using KDialog instead of the GTK file picker avoids this problem entirely. OpenSUSE and some other distributions use KDialog by default.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

how do you boot linux?

It doesn't have to be user facing. It just has to do something by making use of the device and making a functional system.
If you run a fizzbuzz binary then you have a software that utilizes the kernel and does something. It is not a very useful OS but it is an OS and it is actually a fully functional fizzbuzzOS (or whatever you named
it) that runs on the linux kernel.

Attached: 1516886082062.png (344x449, 67K)

Attached: 1525693871010.png (500x390, 44K)

>the Linux Free BSD Kernel
>Linux OS
What the fuck is this?
BSD is an OS and Linux is just a kernel.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux Free BSD kernel, is, in fact, GNU/Linux Free BSD Kernel, or, as I've recently taken to call it, GNU plus Linux plus Free plus BSD plus MIT plus Apache plus WTFPL kernel.

Spread the word that GNU exists and that it is made for you to compute in freedom.

Attached: 1515621669933.png (900x474, 319K)

Not him, but EFISTUB.

Why is this thread always the same. Is it a bunch of monkey copying the contents of the last thread?

>Linux in general is used for a wide-variety of things in the industry
>muh Angry Birds OS
>muh web servers serving millions of shitty wordpress blogs
>muh TOP 500 glorified calculators
That's a couple of niches, user. Not a "wide-variety of things in the industry".

> It just has to do something by making use of the device and making a functional system.
So, like Linux does?

>How many people are actually going to do that though?

everyone on this shithole with their 10 year old thinkpads.

It's a meme you dip.

>gnome
>gtk
That's a feature ;)

Install linux and post result.

Linux is the OS created by Richard Stallmann.
Inside Linux there's a program known as "the kernel" which was created by Linus Torvalds.
Thanks for listening.

I have it installed. It boots itself from UEFI.
What results do you need?

I'd like to interject.

>How many people are actually going to do that though?
Me. One of the reasons I'm still using windows.

Holy shit it's true.

Attached: 1525454387702.jpg (864x594, 333K)

Post the black screen my dude.

Heh

Attached: 1525568417647.png (864x304, 36K)

GNU to Linux is what .NET is to NT. Convenient and de facto present, but not necessary.

.NET doesn't run on NT. It requires XP or later.

ganoo shitters almost make me want to switch back to windows. they're the most inane mouth breathers in computing and should be bullied into submission