/wt/ - Watch Thread: CASIO GANG edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine aq230, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=_CxYEOpWchY

>Thread theme (also unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=2rr1ohi76TU

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

previous thread:

Attached: casio_gang.jpg (1499x1000, 509K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentlemansgazette.com/black-tie-watch/
soundcloud.com/casiogang/casio-on-my-wrist
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I agree but that's why i said mid range in the first place

>pulling out your phone every single time you want to check the time makes you look like a teenager
Okay, so I need a watch.

>a watch typically lasts many years, even decades
Sure, so I need a "nice" and "meaningful" watch.

>the watch is going to be strapped very visibly to my body all day, becoming a part of how I present myself
Right, so I shouldn't cheap out, and I should put some thought into it.

>the watch is only for casual time checks, it doesn't really need to be pinpoint accurate.
I guess, so a mechanical seems to fit best.

This is the one and only legit reasoning behind buying watches for literally everyone who is gainfully employed.
Anything else (cheap shitter, expensive shitter, no watch, g-shock in casual situations, ...) makes you look like an overgrown child.

No u

Attached: Casio AQ 230 Gold.jpg (640x581, 41K)

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself...

Deleted cyclops

Attached: E9D649DC-EA28-46AA-89D0-D03E3D02AC7C.jpg (4032x3024, 3.75M)

sounds like you lead a very boring life and that's not my problem

How so?
Some of the world's most successful people ever (past and present) are crazy about high-end watches (Ryan Gosling, Alton Brown, James Cameron, Eric Clapton, ...); would you say their lives are boring too?

I guess it's possible. Let's compare; do you agree or disagree with any of these observations:

>pulling out your phone every single time you want to check the time makes you look like a teenager

>a watch typically lasts many years, even decades

>the watch is going to be strapped very visibly to my body all day, becoming a part of how I present myself

>the watch is only for casual time checks, it doesn't really need to be pinpoint accurate.

Just buy a rolex. It's one or two bucks a day if you have it for 10 years, not to mention, that you can resell it anytime.

Guys I found a company that is going to put out a ceramic bezel for the SNE437, the look of the bezel is most people's dislike of the watch (that and the cyclops but I already took care of that)

what do you think about the way this looks? better?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.41.57 AM.png (1406x1194, 2.43M)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 8.42.31 AM.png (1304x1046, 2.23M)

>casio

???

WHAT THE FUCK

CANT YOU READ???

Well yes, but it's also a Rolex. It's what people buy when they have some cash and zero clue about watches beyond that one brand they know is expensive.

well at least the normie "I made it watch" is actually a good watch that looks good

so sick of the same OP. the strap guide is still a dead link

Sure. And I guess normies get a kick out of seeing 5 people at any random social gathering with the exact same watch (or at least watch brand) as them, so good for them.

Attached: Hzms34f.png (746x717, 102K)

You could get a h. moser, those are really underpriced for what they offer. In fact you could buy into haute with h. Moser for less than 10k.

It's true though.

Do you even understand why this happened? Do you understand why a Rolex is a status symbol to begin with?

Meant to (You)

>I am so unique! I can't buy or wear anything anyone else does based on the merit alone that it is a good quality thing, it has to be as special a snoflake as i am
>this is why I don't drive a "brand name" car, would not want to be at a stoplight with anyone that had the same kind as me, the shame

Of course.

>I am so unique! I can't buy or wear anything anyone else does based on the merit alone that it is a good quality thing, it has to be as special a snoflake as i am
I'm totally fine with wearing a g-shock just like everyone else when doing rugged activities for instance.
A 6k mechanical watch is something else though.
It's not just for me either; wearing something different (i.e. more interesting) what 80% of your peers are wearing may help you in business too when you're dealing with certain discerning people. It's like a secret handshake.

>this is why I don't drive a "brand name" car, would not want to be at a stoplight with anyone that had the same kind as me, the shame
To an extent.

Rolex also makes amazing watches and if you don't appreciate them for that, then I don't know what to tell you

>Rolex also makes amazing watches
Sure. So do many other brands that aren't Rolex.

it sounds like Watchrecon is going to let the scammers from "Jow Forumswatchexchange try the service.

this won't go over well.

you've been given the chance to buy from a world of worldclass secondhand sellers. don't ruin it for your stupid site via fraud and tacky tween behaviour. I give you a month before you're banned from watchrecon.

Now then, onto proper technology. Who likes the Tudor GMT?

Attached: GMT Master II.jpg (800x450, 55K)

>The only suitable watch for semi-formal or formal environment is a dress watch.
A dress watch is for formal occasions, not day-to-day work, no matter how "upscale" your line of work is.

Reminder that watches like Datejusts, Master Controls (the pic related ones), the average Grand Seikos, ... are technically considered "sports watches".
That's probably what you're thinking about.

Attached: 9dd2d2b55322aa885352db2b30363d05.jpg (1600x1266, 222K)

>Now then, onto proper technology. Who likes the Tudor GMT?
I don't.
The "poor man's Rolex" putting out a "poor man's GMT Master pepsi"? No fucking thanks.

At least the Pelagos has its own identity. Until Gaga and #BornToDare killed that for me, too.

What the fuck are you even on about? Some Reddit drama no one knows about?

>it sounds like Watchrecon is going to let the scammers from "Jow Forumswatchexchange try the service.
wat

>To an extent.
you realize that means you care just as much about what other people think right?

I adore this watch. Why can't Seiko or Citizen make something that looks this good?

>Who likes the Tudor GMT?
I like the design a lot, but I'd not consider one unless they made a BB58 sized version. For me, the far more toolish looks of the Tudor remind me of the 16710 GMT, which was the last Rolex GMT model that didn't make me gag.

Seiko can't because that design has nothing in common with any of Seiko's historical design language.

>you realize that means you care just as much about what other people think right?
Of course.
That's largely why I don't go around wearing t-shirts, hoodies, and zip-off cargo pants everywhere I go.

Anyone who says "I don't care what other people think about me" has the mentality of a teenage girl with daddy issues.

They should've just made it 39mm in the first place.
What the hell took them so long to make a 39mm Black Bay anyway?? Do they not want money?
Same goes for the Ranger. I'd snap it up if it was 38mm.

Attached: ranger.png (540x720, 82K)

>I like the design a lot
Yes, the pepsi Rolex GMT sure has a nice design.

Good morning wt

Attached: 20180507_101731-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.66M)

Sure. So does Rolex. Sometimes popular things are popular because they're good.

Attached: DSC_6531.jpg (1800x1200, 617K)

>Yes, the pepsi Rolex GMT sure has a nice design.
Not since the 16710 it hasn't. Maxicases and ceramic bezels are fucking disgusting.

>the far more toolish looks of the Tudor remind me of the 16710 GMT, which was the last Rolex GMT model that didn't make me gag
Yeah, the thicker, larger, and generally bulkier case of the Tudor sure does make the slimmer and smaller Rolex Maxi case look stupid.

Morning.

>Maxicases
Tudor's monstrous cases make Rolex Maxicases look small and delicate, lol.

>Sure. So does Rolex.
Sure. So do many other brands that aren't Rolex.

Can someone recommend me a digital watch with water resistance so I can shower with it?
Im using casio and literally never take it off, its part of my life, always there to tell me time, and Im thinking to get a better one

Any good Indian watches?
No loo jokes please.

>I like the design a lot, but I'd not consider one unless they made a BB58 sized version
>a BB58 sized version
>BB58 Sized

Tudor BB58: 39mm x 11.9mm
Rolex 116710: 40mm x 12.4mm

Appologize.

>tudor is the poor man's rolex
>I like tudor

so which is it you plebian scum? if you think tudor's filth, it's logical to think you'd hate the pelagos too you deviant.

>being so fickle and gimmicky as to base a its horological choices on the brand's marketing

But Tudor's GMT isn't sized like the BB58, is it?
And yet you said the Tudor GMT reminded you of the pre-maxicase Rolex GMT.
Which makes no sense.

I gave the definition of a dress watch you swine, virtually every example you listed has a date, and is indeed a sports watch.

there's no doubt you're still either in a trade school, or a laborer.

critical thinking and reading are lost on you revealing you station in life.

Designs with their own identity like the Pelagos allow Tudor to move away from being the "poor man's Rolex".
Designs that are derivative of Rolex designs, like their GMT, push Tudor right back to being the "poor man's Rolex".

And I didn't hate Tudor as such. I loved the Pelagos, it was at the top of my shortlist.
But I'm not going anywhere near any watch associated with fucking Gaga. Or that #BornToDare hashtag monstrosity.

you're moving the goal post. you hate tudor, keep it simple.

>you're moving the goal post.
Lol, brainlet.

>you hate tudor, keep it simple
I love the Pelagos design, and their in-house movement. But I do hate the brand now, yes.

>I gave the definition of a dress watch you swine
And I'm telling you that wearing a dress watch outside of formal dress events is stupid.
Dress watches are not meant to go with business suits, they're meant to go with black/white tie. Hence the "dress" in the name.

At least if you want to be consistent with your watch categorizations, Mr. "don't wear dive watches or chronos to work in finance".
Personally I don't give much of a fuck.

Favre leuba was a week respected swiss watchmaker that had a big presence in India. Hmt also unironically had some good stuff at some points, although certainly on the cheaper, mass market side.

>Any similarities between designs is lost if one of them is scaled up even 1%
(You)

Attached: zRolex-GMT-Master-II-16710---114999s.jpg (1808x1333, 1.72M)

you don't wear a watch with a tuxedo. ever.

you're living in some james bond fantasy.

you don't have the life experience nor wisdom yet to know what goes on in formal workplaces, or *real* black tie events (I'm willing to guess you've never lived in wealthy country/city).

and yet somehow you're a credible horological fashion critic! KEK! Oh, do behave!

Why do they put that glass over the date? I've always wondered. Nobody actually need it to see what date it is.

Lady Gaga must be literally practically a billionaire. She cares very much about her "brand" and identity and how she comes off, it's what made her all that money.

I wonder how much Tudor paid her and why she became their spokes person. Why would a female pop star want to sell a red bezel men's dive watch? I doubt they paid her much over 2-5 million, and I doubt she really cares about that amount of money vs. her image

So how exactly does a case that is much bulkier than a Rolex Maxicase remind you of when cases were smaller than Maxicases?
How does a case with more intricate finishing than the past or present Rolex GMTs (e.g. polished case bevel on the Tudor) look more "toolish" than a Rolex GMT?

>you don't wear a watch with a tuxedo. ever.
I do.

t.richfag

What I don't get is let's say the market for the black bay is almost all 25-55yo white guys. What guy is going to think "oh lady gaga likes that, maybe i should get one"

young, young man, if you actually had money and influence, your family would bar you from wearing a watch with tuxedo.

now you've just made it awkward, as you've outed yourself as a soiboi seikosan.

The picture speaks for itself, if you don't want to see the obvious aesthetic similarities between the Tudor and the 16710, and you can't figure out what the Tudor design would look like scaled down to BB58 dimensions, I'm not going to waste any of my time convincing you of the self-evident.

>young, young man, if you actually had money and influence, your family would bar you from wearing a watch with tuxedo.
nope

You are retarded and need to calm down.

>soiboi seikosan.
Oops, you just outed yourself as one of the perma-trolls baiting him for (You)s.

By the way it's been decades since people actually didn't wear even dress watches at black tie events. Stop larping to troll.

>you don't wear a watch with a tuxedo. ever.
What the fuck are you even talking about? That's what dress watches are for.

Attached: 1347050949221.jpg (600x478, 102K)

Not him, but honestly, here in Norway at least, people will not hesitate to wear watches with a tuxedo. It will typically be a nice dress watch, or a dressy sports watch like the one that was posted in the image. But many leave the watch at home at this point, if they don't own a nice dress watch that feels appropriate.

No need to get stupid, user.
Just stop justifying the fact that your budget doesn't allow you to buy an actual Rolex GMT, but does allow you to entertain the thought of buying a Tudor.

(You)

He's trolling.

wild

Attached: SBEP001-SBEP003-SBEP005-816x770.jpg (816x770, 86K)

For the old fucks who are the only people who can afford one/ .

>hurrdurr Tudor's GMT case reminds me of how nice and elegant pre-Maxicase Rolexes used to be
>nevermind the fact that Tudor GMT cases are 2mm thicker and 3mm larger than Rolex Maxicases

Pic related, the exact same dimensions as the Tudor GMT.

Attached: kgymWWK.jpg (3290x1907, 842K)

LOL WHY DO HAVE RING TIMEER ON BEZEL CANT USE LOL

There is a minute track on the LCD

It's boomer fucks at Tudor trying to be "hip" or something. Fucking nasty.

He's confused.

You don't wear a (normal) watch to a formal party like a prom because time doesn't matter there.
Wearing a watch to keep time distracts from the joy.

But wearing a watch to such events as a form of jewelry is perfectly fine and in fact encouraged.
As long as it looks nice/fancy it adds to the joy.

my thinkpad, portapros and casio gwm5610 are all laughing at you. enjoy not being 80's/90's A E S T H E T I C

I just got fired for wearing this watch to work. If only I'd listened to Jow Forums.

Attached: 20180420_113443-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 2.09M)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 10.09.58 AM.png (1728x1079, 2.87M)

norway's not London, Paris, LA or NY though.

In fact California alone is now the 5th largest economy on earth. We Set The Trends, Technologically, Horologically and otherwise.

that's a 17mm height.
a MOCKERY of all watch specs desu. the new GMT looks like an INVICTA.

Why do people post photos with their cuff covering half the fucking watch?

Attached: 51pjsbBYNhL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 31K)

you got fired for being too spooky brah

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 3.39.29 PM.png (856x904, 1.46M)

This pictures shows that it's the mouths of the ghosts that actually point to the time.

You got a pic set to 12:00?

Yes but that is beside the point, we have the same basic european traditions here.

Here is just one example I googled now, a guide on how to wear watches for black tie parties. I'm not an expert, but I suspect you'll find the same kind of guidelines if you google yourself gentlemansgazette.com/black-tie-watch/

In any case, like I said: here people will wear watches if they have suitable watches to wear. That is my experience anyway.

Stupid 18.5mm lug width. Pretty hot today though so it's perlon or a sweaty wrist.

Attached: IMG_20180507_161640_1.jpg (2243x3140, 1.29M)

>You got a pic set to 12:00?
not on me but i can do it later

>I like the design a lot, but I'd not consider one unless they made a BB58 sized version
>a BB58 sized version
>BB58 Sized

Tudor BB58: 39mm x 11.9mm
Rolex 116710: 40mm x 12.4mm

I really want to see one of these in person to check for how legible the display is in various light conditions. If the screen works well I'd seriously consider one.

/Gang/
soundcloud.com/casiogang/casio-on-my-wrist

Attached: 0507180851-2619x3492.jpg (2619x3492, 1.1M)

I'd have thought you'd have instead gotten fired for taking pictures of your wrist standing by that window every day.

>that's a 17mm height.
More like a little under 15.
The problem is that almost all of the height is made up of just a flat slab of polished metal, making it look much taller than it is. It's just a shitty design.

You said that the Tudor GMT case reminded you of pre-Maxicase Rolexes.
You fucking WISH the Tudor GMT had the case dimensions and proportions of a Maxicase.

they're 50mm

>they're 50mm
Oh. Nevermind then.

Attached: hahahaha.jpg (375x375, 23K)

Look at this corrosion on my Nixon that I received as a gift. It’s supposedly stainless steel and I can see actual rust by the lug.
They won’t honour any warranty replacements without the original purchase receipt.
What a shitty company.

Attached: image.jpg (3160x1552, 2.1M)

Attached: image.jpg (3056x2229, 3.03M)

take better care of your shit