Why does chromium take so f*cking long to compile!?!?

Why does chromium take so f*cking long to compile!?!?

larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo genlop -t www-client/chromium
> * www-client/chromium
>
> Sun Mar 11 23:38:20 2018 >>> >www-client/chromium-65.0.3325.146
> merge time: 6 hours, 11 minutes and 17 seconds.
>
> Mon Apr 23 03:02:44 2018 >>> www-client/chromium-66.0.3359.117
> merge time: 6 hours, 13 minutes and 56 seconds.
>
> Fri May 4 18:56:24 2018 >>> www-client/chromium-66.0.3359.139
> merge time: 6 hours, 4 minutes and 45 seconds.
>
larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo genlop -t www-client/firefox
> * www-client/firefox
>
> Mon Mar 12 00:01:03 2018 >>> www-client/firefox-52.6.0
> merge time: 22 minutes and 43 seconds.
>
larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo genlop -t www-client/epiphany
> * www-client/epiphany
>
> Sat Mar 10 13:08:32 2018 >>> www-client/epiphany-3.24.5
> merge time: 49 seconds.
>
larry@gentoo ~ $ sudo lshw -class processor
> *-cpu
> description: CPU
> product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
> vendor: Intel Corp.
> physical id: 4
> bus info: cpu@0
> version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
> serial: [REMOVED]
> slot: LGA1155
> size: 3559MHz
> capacity: 3800MHz
> width: 64 bits
> clock: 100MHz
> capabilities: x86-64 fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm epb pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts cpufreq
> configuration: cores=4 enabledcores=1

Attached: larry.png (282x265, 10K)

lol, just use microsoft edge
shits legit

Because chromium is for developers.

Use google-chrome.

Hey, I don't agree with you and therefore don't appreciate you saying that. Kill yourself.

>Compiling Chromium takes a long time compared to Google Chrome
What are you, an idiot?

>chromium is for developers
Were you always this stupid?

>chromium
Retard.

ITT: noobs try to Gentoo and fail.

Attached: derp.png (988x734, 143K)

>Not using pre-compiled binaries means you're a Gentoo noob
You're a whole new level of dumb

It actually does.

Gentoo is about user choice and making things easier to do. If you are building chromium from source instead of just unpacking a .deb file when you aren't modifying the source then you are a legit noob.

Attached: tard.jpg (1024x512, 71K)

>replying to tripfag
spotted the newfags

It's about choice, indeed. If you prefer using pre-compiled binaries with USE flags you don't even need or have control over, then you're better off switching to a binary distro, mongoloid.

Again, it's about choice, and you didn't even care to try to answer my question. Shut up if you don't have anything to say. I hope you trip and fall on the floor, and hurt yourself. Not much, but just enough to feel a slight form of discomfort using that thick tetherball you call a head.

USE=jumbo-build helps somewhat. It still takes a long time though. Firefox is getting shittier too with its Rust etc. bullshit.

Daily reminder to ignore and hide/block the pedo tripfaggot.

this is not really a fair picture as you do not count compile time for cargo and rustc for firefox.also you probably didn’t use any system libraries in your chromium build

If you can provide with a better way of (genlop) comparison that I can reproduce, I'm all ears.

Rhetorical questions don't actually require answers.

I could infer that you were complaining about compile times so I gave you a sane alternative that you would have already considered if you weren't an idiot.

The mere fact that you bring up USE flags for chromium just further cements the idea that you have no fucking clue about anything Gentoo related. You don't need to use any of the USE flags on chromium, regardless of what you "feel" that you want to do, you only feel that way because you are a noob.

It's clearly firefox-esr which don't require Rust shit.

> chromium
> webkit-gtk
> large projects like libreoffice
> fancy qt libraries

you simply don't compile those type of packages unless it is absolutely necessary

It's not a rhetorical question, but even in the far remote chance that it was, you still replied without any to contribute. Must I tell you again to shut up?

Moreover, I'm aware of the binary releases available and made a *choice* (must I tell you again it's about choice?) not to resort to pre-compiled packages, not because I hadn't considered them.

And finally, USE flags extend beyond chromium, and Gentoo users often use optimally compiled packages using their own CPU, hence my *choice* as well to compile. One might even ask themselves why one used Gentoo if one does feel the need to compile at all. You might even ask yourself that, judging by your arguments.

why isn’t the mongoloid tripfaggot banned yet?

Again, you "feel" this way and made a "choice" based on being a fucking stupid noob.

The compile time options are overridden on a package like chromium, even if they weren't you wouldn't gain any fucking speed at all. You see, there is this thing called javascript byte code that is generated on the fly optimized for whatever platform its running on.

But then again if you weren't a dipshit noob you would already know this.

Attached: macfag.png (217x233, 5K)

C++ compile times are atrocious.
And trust me, Google already does all they can to fix it. Ninja instead of Make, Precompiled headers... nothing helps.

zero-cost abstractions are take time

Even if so, where's the fun in that? Remember that not only Funtoo users are allowed to have fun. It's about choice, and if we want to compile, we can. End of discussion. Next time just answer the fucking question or shove a sock in it.

Glad you finally admitted you are only doing it for fun, I.E. don't know what the fuck you are doing.

Now that you know, it won't be fun to compile chromium and you can use a binary.

Do any one know how much time Emacs take to compile ???

No, it's *you* doing this for fun. Arguing for arguing's sake - what are you, 10?
Fucking pointless.now that you know, every time you're being this stupid, think about it when you lay in your bed, or when you're looking in the mirror. Sleep and your reflection won't be as enjoyable anymore.

not much at all, at least on somewhat decent hardware

>The compile time options are overridden on a package like chromium,
No they are not, you faggot. The basic strip-flags is run but that only removes funroll-loops and such but leaves march=native for example. Or everything stays if custom-cflags is USEd.

Welcome to C++.
We had insane servers for huge projects in C++ so devs could actually do things instead of waiting for compiles.

I use binary Firefox on gentoo. I don't mind updates or compile times. Just not worth it imo to build browser myself.
What the other user is saying is true if it costs more than you save. Pointless.
I also install binaries of non free software
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
Freefags btfo

about this long
Tue May 8 23:37:57 2018 >>> app-editors/emacs-25.3-r4
merge time: 50 seconds.
and this is how long it takes to get rid of
Tue May 8 23:39:24 2018

Your gantoo+loonix is fucked nigga.

I compiled chromium on debian and it took no more than 30 minutes.

>i5-2500K
Get yourself a Ryzen 7, senpai

I don't use chromium itself, but qtwebengine is basically the same just reskinned and according to genlop has been taking 25-45mins to build (niced portage)

Attached: o0800056612612632590.png (800x566, 571K)

Qutebrowser does not seem to take too long to compile though still long(1-2 hour I think), have not needed firefox/chrome though so can't really compare
Also anyone tried ccache? Does it work for new versions of packages or just for recompiling the same version only?

Attached: 1514421309333.png (800x473, 29K)

You're compiling it wrong
Use the special flags, jumbo something

>Why does chromium take so f*cking long to compile!?!?

Because C++

There's a lot of botnet in a modern browser and it doesn't compile instantaneously.

the compiler is a botnet too and needs to do its botnetting while compiling

>sudo
meh