pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Group Buys
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nl3D0wIqf3tU43bu0mc0LSkxeh2CxGrchr_OViEjZ4c/htmlview
massdrop.com/
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Last thread

Attached: event horizon.webm (640x640, 2.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Mechanical-keyboards-Switch-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01G3BJOHO
novelkeys.xyz/products/kailh-sample-pack
amazon.com/Cherry-Switch-Tester-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01GZHU1EG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Embrace the buypig inside of you

Attached: keyboard.jpg (706x1249, 646K)

>RGB underglow is great
>RGB backlighting is gamershit
60% fags are an enigma.

fp for HHKB having low latency

It's the truth because almost all boards sold with RGB back lighting come equip with trash see through keycaps. Also underglow is very nice.

this

Continuing form the last thread I guess
For me it's the SSK and g402

Attached: 20180508_162214.jpg (4032x1960, 1.92M)

no rgb aesthetics

Attached: oLYGId_VmNc.jpg (2497x1876, 705K)

Current list of keyboards
>Realforce 55g
>Leopold fc980c
>Model F XT
>2 Model IBM MODEL Ms
>Alps64 SKCM Blue Alps
>Varmilo SKCM Orange Alps modded
>2 Dell AT101W, both linear moded
>ABKO 965pv2 Nopres 55g
>Vortex Vibe MX Clear
>K-type Zealios
>3 GMMK Zealios 1 TKL 2 Full SIze
>2 Macropads MX Tactile Greys and MX Clear
>Anne Pro Gateron Browns
>And a bunch of magicforce, james donkeys, and a cherry silver masterkeys s

Currently bought and waiting
>Kira96
>Ctrl Keyboard
>Alt Keyboard
>Model F F77

I think I may have a problem.

Attached: best_layout.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

>mfw I have a closet filled with old keyboards from over the years just collecting dust

Attached: shraw.png (800x770, 333K)

Try something that isn't a standard staggered layout m8. An ergodox, dactyl, atreus, kinesis, whatever.

>bad caps mean RGB backlighting is bad
???

>best_layout.jpg
>ANSI
>have to use Fn to access the F keys
is that a joke user

oh yeah I forgot.

Also Current List of Keyboards:
>Ergodox infinity Zealios
>Mistel Barocco Zealios

Nice boards.

Topre cured my depression.

Attached: DSC_0976.jpg (3840x2160, 2.99M)

>best_layout.jpg
>ANSI
>is that a joke user
No, Ansi is the best.

So what is the best switch?

Maybe I wasn't clear? I think when most people say they dislike rgb backlighting it's because the boards that come with them tend to be overpriced and trashy as well as having bad keycaps. RGB backlighting it's self is fine, you can even turn it off.
Sometimes I regret not getting the white hhkb but I have to balance my love of white and beige keyboards and how much I hate when none of my stuff matches.
I love topre too though, I bought mine before I was going to spend a ton of money on an aluminum custom MX board and ended up just buying the second topre instead. Now I want to sell all my mx boards I don't use but haven't gotten around to it.
Do you like your white or black hhkb the most? Also leopold vs hhkb? I'm still undecided after having both for two months.

>tfw pulled out my old IBM rubberdome 7953 from the very first computer I had as a kid and cleaned it the other day
>actually very nice tactile rubber dome
>mounted on flat steel plate

I'd actually call it better than the Model M rubber domes. Not as good as BTC, maybe similar to a heavier dome topre. Would make a good work keyboard. Very quiet.

>I think when most people say they dislike rgb backlighting it's because the boards that come with them tend to be overpriced and trashy as well as having bad keycaps.
And that's stupid. It's annoying to me, because it means the selection of DIY boards with RGB backlighting is lower, and few people bother to do PBT shine-through caps. All because RGB is for "gamers".

I got the white one last year, I still prefer the look of the white one but couldn't resist getting one in black as well. When I was in Japan though I could only find it with blanks, not that I mind but I think the black printed looks better.

As for leo vs HHKB, I'd say I prefer the leopold overall. Might need to get hasu's controller though because I love the HHKB's backspace position (after flipping the dipswitch). But I still love my HHKB and take it into the office as my work board. I was in a similar boat, close to buying a Duck custom but I don't think I can go back after toprelife. I'd love to get a hipro next

Box royals are now up for sale. Are any of you planning on grabbing some?

If they made a hi-pro 55g 87u I would have already bought it. Wish they would. Thought about getting the full size hi pro to harvest the caps but think I would prefer just a normal white 87u 55g to try the last good variation of topre. Also interested in the clones with 65g sheets, some people prefer them to the real thing.

>50 cents per switch
geez

NANI?!?!?!?
Also probably not. I am going to wait for more opinions to come out before getting them. Apparently they are not tactile as zealios so I am a bit dissapointed

Yea now that I have a second HHKB I'm pretty tempted to try out the BKE 55g domes. I wouldn't have risked it before because I love the feel of the leo and HHKB stock. Getting hipro caps on the black HHKB was something I was interested in as well but I believe you need two boards worth of caps to make it work, maybe at some point down the line.

Fuck you guys don't convince be to buypig more. I just worked out I spent 500 bucks in the last 6 months.
>Corsair strafe rgb I got like a year and a half ago with MX Silent Reds
>Race 3 with MX Browns
>Anne Pro with Gateron Blues
>Tada68 with Gateron Blacks
>Kick-started the Kira96 unsure which switch to get
Want to get a Leaopold and was looking at the Whitefox on eBay that is like 100 bucks.

Leopold. Do it. FC660C.

Definitely get the whitefox for 100 bucks

I've got a bunch of decent stuff too. Wyse ANSI, old commodores, an IBM 8573, and some cheap stuff like Quantex and HP

Get a reproduction F77 too, or an original F107 if you can't wait

Attached: 20180426_105244.jpg (4032x3024, 3.7M)

I probably have the exact same HP you're talking about from that era. It's not terrible. In this era of chiclet keys and horrible thick rubber mats, it's easy to forget that a lot of standard cheap stuff back then was not bad. Wasn't like Model F quality but not bad.

Maybe it's one of their terminal keyboards and has some of the worst rubber domes I've ever used, but it could be because of the way it was stored.

Attached: eCBArFs.jpg (800x361, 176K)

I miss that aesthetic being the standard

what's a good introductory mech keyboard?
i want to try one out, but I don't want to drop 100$ on a keyboard.

a switch tester

they do look nice, but it's a shame the rubber domes aren't all that good

Attached: hp-keyboard.jpg (1200x800, 118K)

like this?
amazon.com/Mechanical-keyboards-Switch-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01G3BJOHO

get the novel keys sample pack. it's like 17 bucks and comes with 27 different switches
novelkeys.xyz/products/kailh-sample-pack
if you want to try the MX switches get
amazon.com/Cherry-Switch-Tester-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01GZHU1EG

Where do you live user, near a big city? Somewhere you can try one out would be ideal, it's quite hard to get an idea of what you'd like with just a switch tester. Or ideally if you have a friend who has a spare see if you can borrow it for a week.

listen toohere we have microcenter and they carry pretty much every switch, even topres. so try them out before you commit to one

Nah, mines a later one, the 9970 like this. Domes are pretty good on it.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (640x480, 43K)

You can just compare the force graph of zealios and royals to see which is more tactile (hint: it's not the zeals).

i have no idea where i can try one.
very few people i know would even give a shit about mech keyboards or no the difference.

the big box stores at least have the popular brands like corsair, razer, and logitech. that should at least give you an idea between the different types of switches

Your best bet is a tester, then.

the staples near my house carries razer keyboards. maybe yours does

shit I meant zealios were smoother. I jumped the gun and just said tactility which is what most people were looking for.

Apparently the Box Royals are snappy while zealios are smoother.

>Apparently the Box Royals are snappy while zealios are smoother.
Probably, but then you'd probably be able to make them just as or smoother by lubing them. Not to mention they're $0.25 cheaper per switch.

How few keys should I have to become the best programmer?
Is 60% too much?

60% is stupid, just get a TKL if you need to save desk space.

Every single thread

but the fewer keys I have, the better I become at programming
The only question is if there's a sweet spot.
40%? 60%?

might as well get a 3-key pad with 0, 1, and return on it then.

>tfw you don't know if you want royals or navies
send help

HHKB is the minimum

Attached: Geo-HHKB.png (783x365, 654K)

just get both

Yeah but I can only type on one at a time.

I might get royals for work, I guess, since they're less clicky.

What are some other good vintage mechanicals similar to IBM's model m & f series?

hhkb is rubber dome, you fucking moron

Are SA caps a meme? Is it possible to actually get them in old boards?

>Is it possible to actually get them in old boards?

Yeah, sculpted SA is standard on most everything from the mid-70's through about 83. They won't be MX, but you're better off converting the old terminals that have them and using them instead of gutting them for parts anyway. I have seen single row SA too in 70's boards and stepped SA.

The fun thing is the old board usually have better made caps than modern repros and are way cheaper most of the time, unless you're grabbing a beamspring or a space cadet or something.

Yeah, and what does that have to do with form factor?

Attached: IMG_0038.jpg (500x375, 159K)

God, flipped spacebars are disgusting.
That's a neat board.
I really don't know how you'd manage programming with less than a TKL. Function keys are used constantly for debugging and flipping through layers constantly would be annoying. I use the navigation keys a lot when programming too

>that pic
how inane

Would a 75% be the best layout? I really like it and it also saves a bit more desk space than a TKL

Why haven't you turned your TADA68 into an aluminum floating key yet, /mkg/?

Attached: IMG_20180508_194418.jpg (1080x1920, 614K)

Because all my style switches belong in the trash

>sculpted SA is standard on most everything from the mid-70's through about 83.
SA doesn't just mean "any high profile spherical" keycaps. Signature plastics didn't make those vintage beamspring or whatever other high profile caps.

skipping the f key layer can be annoying if you're using something like idea which uses obnoxious shortcuts like ctrl-shift-f10 but for most things on linux you can get away with a 60% keyboard comfortably if it isn't a retarded layout

'rubber dome' is a completely meaningless term when it comes to keyboard switches and can apply to a bunch of different switches like chiclet keys or scissor-switch key, but the fact topre switches use a rubber dome is irrelevant as the rubber dome part is functionally useless to the actual switching mechanism which is done through a capacitive spring - this means that topre has none of the downsides that are traditionally associated with rubber dome keyboards like the contacts wearing off or needing to be fully bottomed out to register - although you will almost certainly bottom out every key

Attached: img_key_point_01.gif (172x153, 4K)

who /ordered royals/ here?

thinking I might swap out the switches in my ducky one 2 with them

I purchased a Unicomp Model M SpaceSaver M (the mac one) recently and it's not too bad. Definitely not worth the price though. Does anyone else find the keys to be slightly soft? I thought it would have high resistance but sadly i was mistaken.

Can anyone recommend a keyboard that has a little more resistance? Is the original Model M different?

If you must get Topre, then at least get the Leopold. HHKB is frankly built pretty cheap by comparison and is certainly not worth the money you pay for it. You're getting ripped off.

I did. I almost bit the bullet on zeals but I'm glad these came out first so I can try them to have a cheaper alternative. Though my board is hot swappable anyway so I can try whatever is best.

Just ordered some now. Probably going to put them in one of these whenever I can be assed to figured out how to modify the column layout to be more like the ergodox.

Attached: dactyl manuform.jpg (3802x2534, 790K)

Get box Jades

You mean box navies. He did say 'more resistance'.

get yourself some pink gear my dudes

Attached: DctXx-BU8AAvdW3.jpg:large.jpg (2048x1536, 326K)

Only excusable if you are an actual gril.

(male)

Attached: DctXx-AU0AAxtGj.jpg:large.jpg (2048x1536, 337K)

hows the lancehead

Seeing people talk about keys with 70-0g bumps as too heavy is bizarre to me. Niggas got fucking baby fingers, I swear.

70-80g*

Greens all day

You're missing something.

Attached: pretty_in_pink.jpg (355x355, 15K)

WTB Model M SS
Paying $120
Email me

Attached: twink and bear.jpg (2400x1600, 1.03M)

no leopold wtf?

Attached: IMG_20180414_070319.jpg (3286x2432, 1.52M)

Attached: 1518003129512.png (573x572, 395K)

>SS
don't think you can get those for 120, especially since IBM wants to destroy all of them

Attached: IBM Jew Killer.jpg (500x352, 16K)

I got one for $30

nice, was it used for jewish or gypsy identification, cause there are slight differences between the two models

I really want to like 60% keyboards because of all the DIY stuff available for them, but god they're just so flaccid

maybe youre blind but it clearly says leopold at the top

then get a bigger case

Attached: Mac.jpg (520x390, 40K)

It's the form factor that's flaccid

then get a 65% with a bigger case

Attached: Exent.jpg (3500x1712, 705K)

Subjective.

.... I thought the point of getting a >100% was to save deskspace. wtf

lol are you a desklet?

Attached: W I D E B O Y E.jpg (2016x1512, 759K)

No, I just cannot see a reason in getting a small factor keyboard other than saving space.