Why does every single online community nowadays use Discord?

Why does every single online community nowadays use Discord?

Attached: 1525755486735-r9k.jpg (508x508, 14K)

It's easy to use, got a great amount of functionality, is cross platform, requires nothing but a signon, and is overall a great user experience.

The fact that it's a monolith of garbage hipster JS libraries and that everything they say, post, etc, is being recorded, analysed and sold to data collection companies to better advertise razer products to them doesn't bother them.

>that feel when tribe.net is gone never to return

Attached: 09.jpg (700x700, 60K)

The issue isn't even the botnettiness to me
Sure, it's a horrible botnet but it works very well
The problem is that every single fucking community uses it, and it means they all blend together, there's no "communitt spirit" as everyone can easily come and go, and have like 90 servers in their list

because it looks bettur than mumble and is freee. it's easier for normies because it looks nice. If mumble would look like discord it would be morea appealing. AND MUMBLE HAS SOOO MUCH SETTINGS that normies would get lost.

Such are times. Files and directories behind apps are black magic and even choosing directory during instalation is under "advanced"

The worst thing about those communities is that they're usually not very good either. For every good server there are about 48 garbage "hangout" discords that almost always have thirsty socially awkward weeaboos or girls with mental illnesses.

Attached: i really dont have a good title for this one at all.png (222x189, 24K)

Cause they're retards
/thread

What is that

>/thread
>calls others retards

What?

Because you don't have to write and exchange information in realtime. All content is volatile and to be forgotten. Long gone are the days of php forums where everything was archived and all worked out solutions were available to members

where do I find servers full of girls with mental illnesses?

bcos they are not paranoid Jow Forumslets

>girls with mental illnesses
Where?

Attached: hey.jpg (540x359, 35K)

go away you fuckin braindead orbiters

>Join server that has anime avatar sporting people
>Look if any of them have for some reason spammed an invite to a server
>or
>They'll sometimes fucking DM it without context to you
I know that you're memeing but this is legitimately it.

Attached: 1471568792428.png (500x333, 73K)

>/thread-ing your own post

The people who actually use the software like it and don't spend hours on Jow Forums every day shilling their DoA vapourware free alternatives.

Discord is easy to use, works in a browser tab and most importantly people actually use it.

>not /threading you're own post
/thread
Also, why you bots always catch on to me? I see plenty of posts on this board /threaded everyday

because funny

Because it's easy to get people to use it, it runs on every platform known to man and the voice chat is better than Skype.

>:T

I miss the good ol's mIRC days. Al the channels that I used to lurk in are now dead.

>mIRC

Attached: 8ossp.jpg (125x117, 9K)

Fuck mIRC, BitchX was awesome.

Facebook and discord. I can't escape them

I think it's because normies don't like IRC.

They're in blissful ignorance

I hate how many channels people create / move too, it's literally the same group of people and I can't leave any as they use ALL of them... Fucking annoying.

>forced auto updating that doesn't work half the time and makes you wait 30 seconds in between retrying for updates
>gay text like "We removed some bugs that shouldn't be there."
I miss when computer programs didn't treat me like five year olds.

>>forced auto updating
Yeah, it "updates" when you refresh the page. It also happen with Jow Forums.
user, you're not using the sand-alone electron client, right?

You don't want it. You think you do but you dont. Girls with mental problems will fuck you up. They will drain you of an enjoyment you have in your life. They can't help it. Get a healthy girl. Don't make the mistakes I made thinking you could fix somebody or that you could handle it. Very few people can.

BIG BUCKS have been put into good UX and marketing, that's why.

Freetards don't seem get the significance of how close-to-flawless UX is necessary to make the product (piece of software) to sell (become widely adopted). For instance, Riot.im is an ugly, clunky turd in comparison.

Attached: ipad_coreano.jpg (720x960, 550K)

They're probably men who want to be girls, or think they want to be girls, so they'll claim to be girls over a mostly text based interface.

Why are people saying UX instead of UI now? Cramming x's into everything doesn't make it better or more interesting, especially now that everyone is doing it for no reason.

He's not using it incorrectly though.
You can have fantastic UI design and still have shit UX, UX is about how the software functions as a whole and UI design is how it looks aesthetically.

It's fashionable to use the term UX because a ton of good web designers do it already when designing web, now they have a name that sounds cool to meme around and add to their portfolio.

tl;dr

UI = how it looks in situ
UX = how it behaves overall

>4 CPUs
Can I run an imageboard on this

share some stories brah

I still think that's dumb, because I consider behavior to be part of the user interface. Maybe I'm the only one who does this, and maybe devs wanted separate terms for each so they didn't confuse themselves about what they were working on, but the way I see it, for an end user, there's no interface if it's not interactive. It's just an image, an appearance.

Whatever. I don't get to decide these things.

As someone who switched a semi-large community over from Discord to Rocket.Chat, I can relate - it comes with far too many useless features (Slack bridges, IRC bridges, livechat, video calling etc), while the core features are clunky and broken (for example, you can inject CSS with a simple file upload).
Another great way to see how they stack up is to compare Discord's REST API with Rocket.Chat's, because while Discord is an intuitive masterpiece, Rocket.Chat's is just a bunch of crappy POST requests.

It's as said here though, Discord attracted so much shitpost. It seems the majority of people just treat Discord as a shitpost platform, posting dumb memes and never participating.

>because I consider behavior to be part of the user interface.
It's behaviour of the whole app/experience, not just behaviour of a certain UI element.

Choosing a checkbox when a radio button is needed is a bad UX decision, making the checkbox look shit is UI.

Normies. My friends and contacts all use IRC or Matrix.

To add, UX also makes the difference between:
- pressing Address book
- scrolling to the person you want to email
- clicking them
- clicking Compose New
- clicking "Email"
- clicking your own from address
- writing the email and sending it

or:
- pressing Compose
- typing in an email, it autocompletes
- typing in the rest of the message
- hitting Send

The latter may look like shit, but it'll still be far better UX. Most of the time, UX is far more important than UI. (Dumb designers, like 90% of them, don't understand this though)