Thunderbolt motherboards

Recently my motherboad died togetgher with my cpu, apparently ASUS x99's tend to do that.

Now i can either return both items and get cash back, or get replacement (new) hardware.
Obviously i would rather stay away from asus this time, besides the cpu burning thingy, getting thunderbolt working is a huge fucking struggle with asus.
But i was also thinking about returning my CPU, i don't think there is any point to stick with lga2011v3.
Any tips? The most important part is thunderbolt connectivity, i heard that gigabyte is supposed to be good in that area.

Parts i have:
>Asus X99-DELUXE II /dead
>i7 6850K /dead
>Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
>11GB ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme
>4x16GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000
>1000 Watt be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11
>Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
>Samsung 960 PRO NVMe SSD 1TB

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215731443-Apollo-Thunderbolt-Windows-Compatibility
gigabyte.com/mb/thunderbolt3/model
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

anyone?

Get free replacements/refund then buy something else faggot.

>Get free replacements/refund then buy something else faggot.
no shit sherlock, obviously
i need some fucking tips on what to buy

to make it simpler

>refund on mobo and replacement 6850k CPU
what mobo should i take if i still stick to 6850k?

>refund on both
what CPU/mobo should i take if im not bound to the LGA2011v3 socket?

need a working thunderbolt connection and don't want my next mobo to die on me anytime soon

>to make it simpler
>thunderbolt
buy a mac

Attached: hahanigger.jpg (474x314, 16K)

I have a crosshair vi hero. Im annoyed the usb c port isnt thunderbolt

thats also an option, but nah
i only need one working setup for audio/video work & vr stuff

What do you need Thunderbolt for that you can’t get with PCI-E?

Convenience, connecting a TB3 drive directly to the motherboard etc.

>What do you need Thunderbolt for that you can’t get with PCI-E?
Thunderbolt audio interface. My speakers, microphones, guitars, etc runs through it

Buy dongles, you should've to be used to it now anyway.

the fuck are you talking about?
there is no possible way to connect that interface through dongles...
it would either have super shitty latence or wouldn't even work at all due to drivers/slow data transfer

Interface with thunderbolt2 -> adapter to thunderbolt3 -> thunderbolt connection on mobo

Basically i either have to get a mobo with stable onboard thunderbolt, or just buy a fucking mac dedicated only for audio work, but that beats the purpose of my current setup... and then im stuck with a windows setup where i have no possibility to have any audio output due to lack of thunderbolt

>help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215731443-Apollo-Thunderbolt-Windows-Compatibility

this is the list of thunderbolt setups tested for my interface, but basically any gigabyte from this list would work:

>gigabyte.com/mb/thunderbolt3/model

Which one would you recommend, and should i stay on the LGA2011v3 with my i7 6850k or just get a different cpu? any recommendations for 6 cores

Aren't there pcie cards with thunderbolt ports? Just get one of those, the cost of that will be same as the increased cost on the motherboard.

yeah but the motherboard has to have a thunderbolt header to plug a cable into it and then to the thunderbolt card.

+ i already had a 'ThunderboltEX3 AIC' on my asus mobo, not sure if it's only on asus mobos - but those cards are cursed and definitely not plug and play, i had to change thunderbolt related setting and restart my pc for a couple hours till it finally started working (on settings i previously applied 2 times)
as far as i've read gigabyte doesn't have that problem, but it's hard to get all the info necessary when browsing from a smartphone

>Just get one of those, the cost of that will be same as the increased cost on the motherboard
Basically at this point the cost of the mobo and cpu doesn't matter anymore, as long as thunderbolt works (preferably onboard, without add-on pcie cards) and i can have a cpu with at least 6 cores i will be happy.

MSI or EVGA.

But I mean honestly ASUS usually makes good boards. I never had an x99 system though so maybe it was unique to that.

For example the ASUS threadripper boards are pretty fucking great although pricey. Still less pricey than the skylake x meme shit.

Have you considered a thunderbolt two capable sound card or for that matter any high end sound card and connecting the equipment with digital optical or something?

Sound cards are usually a meme but someone like you could actually need one.

What boards support PCIE NVME booting?

Only certain UEFI support it.

>MSI or EVGA.
any particular ones that have thunderbolt?
i have 22 tabs open on my phone and im struggling wtih finding what im looking for

>But I mean honestly ASUS usually makes good boards. I never had an x99 system though so maybe it was unique to that.
im not sure, i've seen a lot of threads about the 'qcode 00 cpu led red' thing, usually has something to do with their cpu socket on the x99 boards having voltage spikes.

not really, im not even sure if it would work
i have the Apollo Twin MK2 QUAD CPU, basically an external sound card where i plug in my microphones, guitars and speakers to.
+it has its own processors for UAD plugins, giving me 1ms latence when monitoring with plugins running live during recording

it has only a thunderbolt connection and i don't think it would work any other way due to drivers and data transfer speed

>and connecting the equipment with digital optical or something?
Yamaha HS5 Speakers on 6,3mm jack
AKG C314 microphones on XLR
Guitars on 6,3mm jack

i don't think there would be a way to connect all those, unless we're talking about different things.
do you mean those meme cards with 'digital audio conversion' or whatever?
i don't think it would work, and i pretty much should connect everything to the Apollo Twin and then to a thunderbolt mobo, otherwise i can't use UAD plugins and i won't be able to monitor with latence that low