/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 1525778004957s.jpg (250x250, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64
amazon.de/HAVIT-Kabellose-Empfänger-Batterielaufzeit-Microsoft/dp/B074W8Y5NM/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FKS744TGGNPWM5XS1AHN
amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-75E500B-EU-interne-schwarz/dp/B00P73B1E4
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burpengary/components/graphics-card-power-color-r9-290x/1183390079
tfir.io/rms/
teamtutorials.com/windows-tutorials/create-a-windows-daily-backup-script
developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/v3
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What C IDE do I ise on linux?

How long does it take before programming "clicks." I'm 2/3 way through 1st semester of compsci and I'm still no good. At best I'm top 50% of the class and that's not saying much more than the fact I'm resourceful.

Unironically Eclipse for easy mode, or alternatively CLion. But I would recommend to jump head first into things and use Emacs or vim. Using plugins, they can be customized to become full-fledged IDEs.

First of all, I'd like to point out that computer science is more than programming. I have several friends I studied with that ended up as non-programmers, and specialized in stuff like security and networking and machine learning etc.

Secondly, it took a really long time for me personally, despite the fact that I had even tinkered with QuickBASIC and Visual Basic in my youth. I'd say I didn't get proficient enough to make assignments on my own before maybe late 2nd semester / early 3rd semester. Practice makes perfect, though.

CodeBlocks is also a fairly popular alternative, btw.

>girlfriend's brother says he will build her a "gaming pc"
>self-described "nerd" who plays MtG, D&D, EQ, etc..
>never heard him talk about building PCs other than a post on FB
>"who builds PC lol"
>have bad feeling in gut about it
>she goes to pick up the computer
>ask her how it is
>"good"
>tell her i want the specs
>"R323G CPU
>8gb 24 herts memory
>Gtx evga 1050
>Blueray burnernplaer
>Motherboard gibabite x370 gaming K5
>Demimoldula 600 wat evga powersupply water cooled."
>confused as shit at this point
>ask her about the storage
>"2 terabite hard drive"
>ask for RPMs
>"720
>Insignia speakers"
>tell her that her info is either incomplete or inaccurate
>ask her about the OS
>"OS 10"
>dear god no
>she says "its fine, bro turned those settings off"
>tell her that it is built into the OS and you can't do that
>"yes you can, you haven't used it before"
>noshit.png
>irritated with each other so don't talk til she gets home
>she sets up the computer 3 days later
>show her the network traffic going to M$
>angry with me
>angry with her
>finally tell her i will install W7
>make new bootable disk
>BSOD
>research
>CPU not compatible with W7
>gf stuck with spy machine

So very fucking irritated with the whole situation. I'm just going to buy her a different CPU and install W7 and be done with it. At least she got a free monitor out of the deal. Too bad it's native resolution is 1680x1050. Nice that she got a 2TB drive. Too bad it runs at 7200 RPMs. Oh but she has 8GB RAM now, lets forget that the computer she was using previously had 10GB because hey, this RAM has LEDs on it!!!

Anyways, here is my stupid question: How is the Athlon X4 950? Looks like a decent processor for not that much. Her mobo socket is AM4 but I'm already irritated with they current BS with her Ryzen 3 2200G that I really don't think I would go with a different one, even if it might be semi-compatible with W7.

Attached: suck it amd.png (678x426, 65K)

I think these are my only options.

Attached: bristol ridge AM4 processors.png (865x476, 28K)

Is gaming on a laptop with an external GPU worth it?

Sorry for being a brainlet, but how do you control computers via the VGA-port?

Attached: 4-portos-usb-s-kvm-switch-billentyuzet-video-eger-eloszto-ps2-es-vga-eloszto-aten-cs1734b-at-g.jpg (520x491, 33K)

Holy shit, you are retarded. It's not cpu, it's chipset, you fucking braindead mongol. You can integrate drivers into w7 install media and it'll install just fine. Or better pay someone who actually knows what to do instead of being brainlet stuck on >muh botnet >muh freedum.

No, the latency is pretty noticeable.

No point in doing that because W7 can't utilize all the features of the processor anyways, but from what I can tell, no one has been able to make it work with the Ryzen 3 2200G. Other Ryzen, yes, but not this one specifically. I even installed W7 on a separate drive on a different computer and brought it over. Tried to boot from it, same BSOD. If it was the chipset, then why would a non-Ryzen CPU work just fine in it? Maybe its the fucking CPU!

My grandma just gave me two laptops. One's windows 10 and the other is a Chromebook. Both are Acer shit. I'm curious though, what can I even do on a Chromebook? I'm going to use the windows one to bridge wifi to my PC.

No AM4 system is supported with Windows 7. If you must use a deprecated OS, at least use hardware contemporary with when it was supported. Last platforms with proper Win 7 support are Intel 90 series/socket 1150, or AMD AM3+ or FM2+ platforms.

Athlon X4 950 is pretty shit and also not supported under Win 7.

None of those are officially supported under Windows 7.

Look up "windows 7 in 2018" it's just a YouTube vid. But this dude had a similar issue with ryzen. There's a work around you dumb dumb

cable that uses spare vga for usb passthrough like this

Attached: kvmcable.jpg (600x600, 29K)

You don't, the yellow ports there going to the computers aren't really VGA, they've got extra connections for USB (or PS/2) that send the keyboard/mouse and USB data.

Right, I get that none are officially supported, but I know that some of them do in face work under W7. Unfortunately, the processor in there right now doesn't work at all. MY PC is AM3+ and I have no problems with it. She just got this one the other day, that is why it has newer hardware in it. But I know Bristol Ridge will work under W7 so I will just have to go through the list and figure it out myself.

What was the point of that vid? Just some guy checking his mail. I don't think there is a workaround for this particular processor hence the reason I am looking for something else.

If you're really that insistent on using a deprecated OS, at least use gen 1 Ryzen. anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

If you don't want a spy machine, you shouldn't be using Windows at all.

tiny C

Sounds like you really don't have a clue either. Also stop being a dick to your girlfriend.

Trying to source a Fargo 81579 printhead for my otherwise inoperable Fargo HDP600 ID printer.

Can anyone hook me up? It's just sat in the corner of my basement for years b/c I refuse to pay $400+ for the damn thing.

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (800x499, 88K)

I need some advice Jow Forums. I'm broke and just dropped out after my second year of college. I know C/++, Java, x86, and Python. I also have A+ certification. Would I better off picking up more certs and going into IT or building up a portfolio and try to be a code monkey? Thanks

If I hover over my tabs I get (pid ####) where #### are 4 numbers.
For example on the tab for this thread I have (pid 6588), on the Jow Forums catalogue I have (pid 7008)
What does this mean?

I'm using FF Nightly v62

Until now I've only used my laptop touchpad and I'm now upgrading to a new laptop. Are there any major drawbacks of using a $10 wireless mouse?

For example:
amazon.de/HAVIT-Kabellose-Empfänger-Batterielaufzeit-Microsoft/dp/B074W8Y5NM/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FKS744TGGNPWM5XS1AHN

At least I can easily turn off all the spyshit in W7.
>using a depreciated OS
If you only knew how long I used Windows 2000 for.
I read that link earlier and tried everything short of the USB driver thing because it still crashed with no USB devices plugged in. I have old PS/2 shit for times like this but it didn't help.

I have more of a clue than some people. And don't worry about my gf and I; we already made up ;)

Why doesn't it say anything in channels?
This is an asus laptop btw.

Attached: a9748e99235d82821073c8f0be11b1b6.png (403x409, 18K)

If you can turn off enough spyshit to your satisfaction in 7 you can in 10 too, it's not that different, both spy by default.

>Other Ryzen, yes, but not this one specifically.
That's not how it is works, you fucking monkey.

From my experience and according to my research it does. There are two Ryzen 3s that will not work with Windows 7at all.

It's not just that. It's the auto updating bullshit. It's the UI looking like shit, same reason I never went to 8. Basic shit like Firefox doesn't work. What a pain in the ass. I just want to be able to browse, game, and shoop without any interference. But fuck, that is why I use W7 on my machine.

\
Could be related to the integrated graphics, tried disabling it?

It's changed.
I realise it's not particularly important as it isn't impacting my browsing experience in any way.

Attached: pid 5240.png (698x71, 6K)

It's telling you which process is running that tab.

>not using loonix

Works on my machine

Looking at buying an R9 290X reference model, looking for the right price. They tend to go for about ~$300 (AUD) in my area if they're ever available, but found one for $250, and the dude will have it running a few benchmarks and what not for when I go get it.
Theoretically, if I bought it and couldn't quite afford an aftermarket cooler (waterblock, something like a Morpheus, etc.), had it installed, and got fed up with having a figurative jet engine in my room, would giving it a slight undervolt/underclock really help the heat output a lot? I know it'll still run hot, but I want to manage that better than constant throttling.
Aside from that, what are some decent, cheap, aftermarket coolers? I can never find any used GPU coolers on Gumtree (Australia) that would handle the 290X stock, let alone compatibility, so Ebay seems to be the better option when buying online.

Currently on a GTX 660 Ti with minimal core overclocking available, and I thought the 290x was a decent deal in this sort of market, so I wanted off this 660 Ti for something far better.
Cheers lads.

so i want to finally upgrade to an ssd. got two questions is this a good one?
amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-75E500B-EU-interne-schwarz/dp/B00P73B1E4
currently its 70€ off so im tempted to get it and whenever i hear ssd i hear samsong evos are good ones.
second question. whats a good linux live cd that lets me clone my windows hard drive onto the ssd? is that even possible or advisable?

>whats a good linux live cd that lets me clone my windows hard drive onto the ssd?
All of them.

>is that even possible or advisable?
As long as the SSD is at least as big as the hard drive, you can just do a raw copy using something like dd.

i heard dd has issues with ssd by doing unnecessary writes. a friend of mine once mentioned a tool specifically for cloning windows installations from a hard drive to an ssd. the livecd supposedly comes with drives fro pretty much all ssd features and an up to date kernel to take advantage of them.
also about that ssd. is it a good purchase or no?
my current boot drive is a 320 gb old seagate drive that ive had for almost 8 years now and its still going strong but its painfully slow obviously.

Throttling to meet your desired temperature/fan speed target is more effective than just turning down the maximum frequency.

It'll probably be cheaper keeping an eye out for another 290X (or 290/390/390X/480/580/470/570/GTX 970) with decent cooler either original or aftermarket and sell your reference model. gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burpengary/components/graphics-card-power-color-r9-290x/1183390079 for example.

>i heard dd has issues with ssd by doing unnecessary writes
No. dd will use the underlying disk driver, just like any other program.

>a tool specifically for cloning windows installations from a hard drive to an ssd
Some distros have a "import" function thing, where they will copy stuff from UserData and registry and stuff in order to autoconfigure stuff like username etc.

There's a bunch of easy to use GUI tools that will allow you to copy a disk, which is probably what he meant. But using dd is fine if you just want a copy of the entire partition, and don't want to bother with repartitioning and shit.

>also about that ssd. is it a good purchase or no?
I'm not that into consumer grade SSDs, but it's probably fine.

alrighty thanks.

Yeah, fair enough. Yeah, I'd like an aftermarket cooler for it, rather than the reference, so wasn't sure how to manage reference cards.
Also I've been looking at other comparable cards with good coolers, not actually bought it yet. As I said, I'd really like to get off this 660 Ti.
That's not a bad deal if it works. It's a shame I'm on the other side of the country.
Thanks anyway. Been keeping my eyes open, but very few graphics cards in general show up nearby,

>be autistic 25y/o adhd neet with no qualifications
>live off autismbux in my parents house
>play pc games, can do basic troubleshooting and fiddle around with hardware
>somehow get an interview for an entry level technician job through an employment agency
>they (the employer) haven't even seen my resume yet (no experience, no qualifications)
am i seriously to expect to be taken seriously at this interview? 'hey i play pc games and have built a computer literally twice before and can reinstall windows/follow basic on-screen prompts and use google.'

am i fucked? is there a good way i can prepare for this? i'm so nervous i've puked myself twice since i got the phone call about it 5 hours ago. i have a week until the interview

No problem. If you need a recommendation for live usb, I guess Ubuntu is fine and easy to use. If you land on usind dd, remember to unmount the hard disks first (mountpoint is probably /media/something) and then do this

dd if=/dev/sd of=/dev/sd bs=512

yeah im familiar i dualboot arch and win10 on my pc and usually my drives are sdaX. i was just reluctant since i bascially never use dd if i need to formant anything i use (q)parted instead because like kde/qt. it looks so clean and uniform.

What's the best Android emulator for Windows if I just want to test mobile Chrome and mobile Firefox?

The USB controller is still a device whether you plug anything in or not. Stop giving everyone the impression that you know tons of shit when you don't even know basic stuff.

Attached: 1445610336878.png (400x501, 343K)

gparted is okay to use for this as well, desu.

Nox

Process IDentification

Technically dd will copy all of the unused space as well, as its goal is to create exact copies. It's fairly negligible to do it a few times though so there's no reason to hunt for other tools.

Thanks friend.

Why not learn how to disable spying on W10 then?
You'll end up being wiser in the process. A win/win.

>inb4 impossible
I use a combination of: w4rhawk debloat script, spybot anti-beacon, OOSU10, blackbird, manual group policy and service settings and it works flawlessly so far.
It just has to be reapplied after each reinstall / update.

Do CPU fans become less efficient over time?

My laptop's temps have been gradually increasing for years despite changing the thermal paste many times.

It's usually more about the dust gathering on the heatsink. Even a tiny bit of airflow is usually enough, but insulating the heatsink prevents the whole cooling system from doing its job.

Why have most of the big names in tech moved from fingerprint verification to face recognition?

Do search engines somehow index people's searches on websites or is that the search engines' robot doing? Try putting in "find.Jow Forums.org" on google for example.

So they own more of you.

So I have 2 computer, I decided to copy some folder on the first computer desktop to the second one by plugging the hdd on the second computer and transfering the files.

But now, every folders/files ask me for admin permissions.

Is there a way to fix it?

Attached: fug.png (350x181, 8K)

A bit more information about my problem, it seems it only affect my user folder.

Anyone of you have a rule of retarded things mysql don't accept when uploading a CSV file to a database ?
Whenever I try to uplaod a specific file, it do not accept the date I give him and I don't know why. (if it's the use of / instead of - or if I should care about the order of %d, %m and %Y)

Where can I sell my old cpu parts? I have a z170 motherboard and 6600 cpu I currently use but I want to upgrade to a 8700k and an 8th gen motherboard. I also have an old 460 and 960 gfx card hanging out collecting dust ever since I got my 1070 a while back.

The upgrade cost is steep and I can afford it but I would really like the discount I would get from selling these old parts since they are just collecting dust on my shelf. Where do you guys sell your old stuff? I have a friend who wants to get into pc gaming but that hardware seems like such shitty value to ask money for especially since 6/7th gen mobos and 8th gen mobo cost exactly the same but the performance from 8th completely btfos old gens in performance per dollar.

What do i do

Yeah.

Ryzen 3 2200G?

>It just has to be reapplied after each reinstall / update.
What a pain in the ass. Ill just stick with W7.

Will running a game at, say, 100 fps on a 144hz monitor look normal, or will it look choppy like running a game at 30fps on a 60hz monitor would?

Sorry if I'm retarded

Bought a Vive Pro but it connects to the PC from mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort, and my PC doesn't have a DisplayPort
Any way I can get it to work? Tried mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable but it didn't work.

Attached: 1520645817191.png (521x438, 12K)

tfir.io/rms/
Has anyone seen this pajeet interview with RMS? Is it good enough to pay a dollar for the entire 80 minute interview or is it just a bunch of shit he's already said?

I need a simple program for backing up folders of my stuff. I tried Veeam Endpoints and it was way too complicated.

I just want to backup my stuff to a external drive and update those backups once every few weeks. I don't want overly complicated software. Also on W10.

you're on windows, nothing valuable to back up
teamtutorials.com/windows-tutorials/create-a-windows-daily-backup-script
this should theoretically still apply and you don't need to bloat your computer with garbage
in addition, you can customize the batch script to run conditionally only if your external drive is connected by the time it attempts to back up
to go even further you could check differentials and only back up files that have changed but at that point you might as well get a mac and use time machine. there is no good backup software for windows

Would appreciate any windows server fags helping out: I have 3 virtual machines (one with win server desktop, another is windows server core - both 2016; one win7 to simulate a client). They have two NICs: one internal1 that connects the core to the graphical server; and one internal2 that connects the client to the win core. Issue is, I have to restrict the login on the windows core to a specific organizational unit and to the internal2 network. How do I do that? Please help.

I have 8 240 GB SSD's, is there a way to use them like a 1920 GB SSD?

Attached: 1506192432952.jpg (604x453, 32K)

what is the best external hard drive in terms of reliability? I need to back up my files and i have to do it occasionally.

>most reliable hard drive
>just to occasionally write a ton of files at once and then shut down HDD for hours on end
Literally get anything. No modern drive will fail for a decade or more with your proposed usage.

brainless person here
is there software that allows me to extend my taskbar in windows 7 on dual monitors
i don't want to use "actual dual monitors", looking for something else that just does that, extends the taskbar

even a seagate?

just get a toshiba one, they have the best ratings on amazon desu

>Stop giving everyone the impression that you know tons of shit when you don't even know basic stuff
Did I give you that impression? lmaoing @ ur life if I did.
It's not a USB issue. It's an issue with the BIOS.
>STOP: 0xA5
>The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for an updated BIOS.
I really doubt Gigabyte is going to release an updated BIOS for people that want to use Windows 7 considering the future of it.

>non consumer vive version

All memes aside I would say to get a refund and stick to the basic version. Its objectively better but you're paying so much for such little improvement. Like I mean such a small amount of improvement and its just too heavy with a weird center of gravity.

Also how does your pc not have a display port? If you have a graphics card that can actually support VR would it not be modern enough to have at least two DP? Something isn't right here my man.

What's the best hard drive testing software? I wanna yank drives out of old cable boxes and sell them on eBay and it's likely they have many hours of use, I don't wanna sell dying ones.

I have a batch of older office tech, whats the best place to sell it?

How do I open flash files without chrome? The flash has to be embed or it wont even open there.

Why are readmes in pirated things always .nfo?

Attached: 20398473.png (674x425, 33K)

Display fusion.

Sould look fine if you turn v-sync on.
30 looks choppy because it's a low number of frams per sec, it'd look the same on a 30fps screen. If 60 doesn't look choppy to you then anything higher won't either.

Crystal Disk Mark / Info Shizuku editions.

What things can cause a mode switch in an OS?
I know syscalls do but what else? Interrupts?

I don't really get how to implement google captcha, do I have to program everything by hand? Is it really just they do the check, and return a json file to us?

developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/v3

looks like it's score based. 1.0 = human, 0.0 = bot
you can take action from there

Thanks. Testing it through a hard drive bay via USB is fine, right? Not sure if it needs to be hooked up right to the motherboard to be accurate.

Can I check whats on a HDD that has an OS installed with an external docking station on my laptop?

Yes.

so i have a laptop. i upgraded to windows 10, clean installed, and i completely erased my recovery partition by accident. so now it is impossible for me to restore to factory (tried it, and i was met with death, i had to use a windows 8 iso)

so now, i cannot even activate windows. is it possible for me to recover that lost partition somehow? what can i do? i would like to activate windows at least.

Do you have a windows key?

yes. when i go to activate windows, it shows the last few digits, with an asterisk hiding the rest. i have that exact same key, as it is easy to find. but it does not work.

i have two keys, a windows 8.1 pro key, and a windows 8 key. they don't work.

Download Windows 10 from her and put it on a bootable disc or USB drive microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Boot from that disc or USB drive on your laptop and install Windows 10. It will ask for a product key before installation, just click "skip for now" or whatever. When it's done installing, your Windows activation will be genuine.
Windows 10 doesn't require product keys. What happens when you install Windows 10 on a computer is that it uploads a bunch of shit about your hardware to Microsoft so when it needs to be activated again, it will recognize the computer.
Basically, your laptop itself is the Windows 10 product key.

okay.. are you sure? that sounds really weird if true. i mean i already have a bootable w10 installation from usb that i made yesterday, and when i went to try it they keys didn't work. but if you say so..

Seems like this user knows what's up: I just chat with them online and tell them my hard drive died and you tell them your key and they issue another activation for that key.

The keys are on the mainboard for an OEM PC.
Just pick Win10 Home and it will automatically activate.