Android 8...

>Android 8.0 Oreo reached general availability more than eight months ago yet according to Google’s developer dashboard, distribution sits at a paltry 4.6 percent. By comparison, iOS 11 shipped nearly a month later yet is found on 76 percent of devices.
Why is Android's OS updating scheme so poor, Jow Forums?

Attached: android_vs_ios.jpg (620x349, 11K)

Because it does not depend on Google, but manufacturers, and they'd rather have you buy a new phone.
If you care about staying up to date get one of the phones in the Android One program.

O2 UK kindly pushed Oreo on to my Samsung S7 last week OTA which deleted all my data and bricked it, so even when they do they're incompetent about it. 8.0 is pretty nice now I've got it working but I'd rather have Nougat and still have all my shit

>release a single piece of hardware
>24% still not updated
the absolute city of Applel

Attached: best_iphone_knockoff.jpg (1973x5000, 1.41M)

Apple only has to worry about their own devices

the aboslute state of poordroids. enjoy your malware.

Google needs to nut up and enforce updating. That and Indians are #1 priority to them judging by the last few years. If India doesn't need it, nobody gets it.

Attached: Jerec.jpg (607x297, 35K)

This is why you buy rooted phones and flash oreo yourself, also removes manufactuer ui bloat

Many people use old androids tho. Also, it's each manufacturer that releases the updates to their devices. Only thing google can do is enforce manufacturers to support devices longer and provide updates for older phones.

>buy rooted phones
enjoy the malware.
I hope you meant rootable phones.

Quite sure he did.

Posted from my Nexus 5X running Oreo copperheadOS

Android One is not the solution though, you are still depending on OEMs to get their shit together and providing faster updates and bugfixes. Take for example the Xiaomi Mi A1, it got updated but full of bugs and the fixes takes longer to arrive, you're better off with a pajeetOS with nightly updates.

not a problem on Pixel devices (i'd like to see the versions of Android on Nexus + Pixel devices to get a real comparison)
stop memeing with your shitty chinese knockoffs and samsung lockdowns and you won't have this problem

if iOS was opened up to third party phones you'd see a similar issue, unless they contracted in the same update requirements
but Android is not like that. It's open source

so the tl;dr answer is open source vs closed source

>tfw my device is just now getting an oreo beta

LG G6?

That is active devices, Probably not 64bit handsets and ipads still being used.

Google fucked up updates from the start, that's all there is to it and there's no way back.

because (((manufacturers))) hate it when people save money
when Fuchsia comes out, Android will be ditched behind

Because phone features are tied to the particular firmware and not to the android version. Can you name a single feature that exists in toyos 11 and oreo but missing in 7.1?

>but missing in 7.1?
Two-window mode, overlay mode

I've heard it's because Android releases updates too fast and too often, no one wants to rewrite or check code for a couple dozen phones. Plus obviously the selling feature of the new OS. Guess my 7 is slated for it, but verizon is probably the slowest company when it comes to updates (they blame security and stability crap)

ANDROID ONE WILL SOLVE THIS ISSUE

Attached: 1525479411169.png (633x1053, 74K)

He said missing in ios11 you retard

Honor 8

Most features are pushed through the Play store and security updates are pushed independently from feature updates so its a non-issue.
Additionally a lot of features were on custom versions of Android before being incorporated into stock Android. Like side by side apps on Samsung phones and swiping away individual notifications on Cyanogenmod

With iPhones however, even if it says its running the latest version of iOS it'll be missing key features that you won't get u less you by a newer iPhone
Like how my iPhone 4 didn't have Siri "because it didn't have the necessary hardware" but a simple hack a few days later added Siri to it and it worked the exact same as it did on the 4S

You tell me what's more scummy

>He said missing in ios11 you retard
I quote: "feature that exists in toyos 11 and oreo but missing in 7.1?"
Lean to read, user.

>Like side by side apps on Samsung phones
It was introduced a couple years before Samsung by "Paranoid Android". They also had wonderful pie controls.

Split screen exists since kitkat, which makes both of those features a little bit redundant.

I'd argue that overlay is far superior for things like YouTube.

I'd argue that something that covers content cannot be superior in any way.

I might switch to iPhone...

ITT: my malware is more up to date that your malware

Attached: 1525732213728.jpg (1056x696, 51K)

>something that covers content cannot be superior in any way.
Almost no apps are 100% content. Having custom sized floating video with no black bars is way better than have a fixed width bullshit that may work unpredictably when keyboard appears for the main window.

Lol nope since when android 4.4 5.* and 6.0 with latest play services are more secure than 7.0 and 8.0, trully delusional. Google can't patch phone without breaking stock firmware and bootloader they have no permission to unlock.

>Two-window mode
I got this in 7.1.2
>overlay mode
What is this supposed to do? Only video that explain this just showed an app that looks like newpipe.

Attached: Screenshot_20180509-165156.png (720x1280, 185K)

>What is this supposed to do? Only video that explain this just showed an app that looks like newpipe.
That's what I use it for too. Super convenient.
Most other changes are in usability (I can't imagine using my device without per app installation permissions) and under the hood ones.

No one said older versions were more secure than newer versions you illiterate iToddler

I don't find it useful at all. Just set it up for a screenshot.
Like you see, it's apparently not an "oreo exclusive" feature.

I wish they backported security patches to older versions. Features are meh, security is where it's at. But things are looking better with the Project Treble concept. Brighter days ahead.

I'm on the V20
They're just now rolling out Oreo for this piece of shit.

Attached: a34d946.jpg (1242x1152, 175K)

Pretty cool.
Was it backported to 7.1.2 or does it work only with newpipe for you?

>tfw have OnePlus 5T with near stock 8.1 Oreo.
Hopefully they don't pull a OnePlus 2 on me. Luckily the ROM community is huge.

Attached: PepeSmug4.png (325x313, 73K)

Because there are 3 stages for Android updates to go through before it reaches you.
1. Google has to make the OS, test it, ensure it functions on generic hardware
2. OEM has to fuck with it, ensure it works on their hardware/make changes UI, toss in their signature bloat
3. Carrier gets to fuck with it, ensure it works on network, can't do anything you aren't allowed to do (Hotspot) and add last round of bloat.
Where as with apple the 2nd step doesn't exist, and the 3rd step is done by Apple with requests from carriers

>apple supports most of their devices regardless if they are old or not
>android users get thrown under the bus by manufacturers who never provide updates unless you bought a flagship phone from them

>apple slows down and bloats all of their devices regardless if you want them to or not
ftfy

>tfw Samsung is just now rolling out oreo for S7
>but carrier will hold it for another month or 2

Attached: image.jpg (454x471, 40K)

>iToddlers are forced to install lagOS malware or their iToy can't use any new apps because applel only allows apps that are compatible with newest lagOS malware
>android users can install anything they want regardless of manufacturer

Attached: 1519714359580.png (532x2612, 886K)

name one non botnet and useful feature oreo intdoduced

Because vendors are holding everyone back.
Thankfully Project Treble is coming.

>Was it backported to 7.1.2 or does it work only with newpipe for you?
Dunno. Newpipe ask for a permission to do it at first attempt, so I guess it's an app feature and you can't make app that doesn't support that do it.

I honestly can't think of any simply because I stopped giving a shit about new Android versions, since I will probably never get them.

Native OMS support, so you don't have to rely on the shittiest pajeet roms to get substratum support OOB (only if you like theming your phone obviously).

Google doesn't have much control over Android. They just control what goes into the new updates, but not when those updates reach the consumer (or how.)
Apple has leverage here because iOS is a product, not a platform. Android is a platform. Apple can say, "Hey, if you don't agree to push out updates immediately with no bloatware, we're leaving and you'll lose a shitload of money. And we'll be fine because we have our own retail stores and online store where people can by unlocked." And so, the carriers listen. And even if they don't, for whatever reason, the user can still plug their phone into their computer the old-fashioned way and update their phones via iTunes to circumvent that. So there is no reason for the carriers to delay updates, anyway.
Android, on the other hand, functions differently. Google puts out the new major update, then the OEMs fuck it up by stuffing it full of shitware, then they both have to wait for the carrier to push it OTA (they probably never will because why would they want you to have the newest update when you could just buy a new phone altogether?) Google can't force anyone to do anything because they'd have to get every major Android manufacturer to agree to leave that carrier (which they won't because money) and even then, the carrier could just start making their own Android phones anyway (and they already do) since Android is a free software.

tl;dr - Applel doesn't have this problem. :^)

>tfw my g5plus has no oreo

Even G6+ doesn't yet have it

my phone just recently got treble support and it's the second most used LOS device so i imagine android 8 is coming soon and android 9 relatively soon as well. not going to bother flashing some pajeet's unofficial 15.1 even if everything works.

Attached: file.png (862x1018, 50K)

76 percent of apple devices filled with bloat for forced obsoletion is a sad statistic.