Best WiFi router for under $120?

Best WiFi router for under $120?
I need to make a link of around 75ft to a detached apartment.

I can pick up a Nighthawk AC1900 for $110, but as I'm sitting on 3 other Netgear products that aren't doing the job I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Attached: Capture.png (1549x651, 277K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B06Y2JH7PV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But it did get a good grade from Consumer Reports.

Do you need a router, or do you need an access point?

Routers do routing, access points just transmit a wireless signal.

If you need an access point, get a Ubiquiti AP-AC LR

Access point.

Well, the AP-AC LR is a long range (LR) access point.

Probably going to have better luck providing decent signal at 75 feet than the netgear.

an Ethernet cable costs $20

I just went on a similar search because I wanted internet in my training room so I could stream from my server and after looking at all the shit solutions I just called up a buddy and we laid the 30m of Cat6 in an afternoon.

The apartment is detached. I just ran a 75ft cable to the other end of the house to get away from using an extender, but there's something fucked up with my Netgear 3400v3 and it's only putting out 25Mbps, which reduces to 13Mbps in the apartment. The EX6200 extender has a flaky antenna, so while it gets 70Mbps in the house on 5GHz while set up as an access point, it's lower than the 3400 on 2GHz and I have several 2GHz only devices.

So I just need something that isn't borked.

I get 400-500mbps on 5ghz with my $65 Ubiquiti access point.

Cool. I just ordered the LR for $101.

If your area has a lot of RF interference you may end up getting fucked on reception no matter what you use unless it's a more directional point to point setup.

two of these would be your next thing to try

amazon.com/dp/B06Y2JH7PV

Do not listen to those meme router
Buy a refurbished WRT3200. Shit build like a tank so no different against brand new.
Monster specs: 1.8 GHz dual core ARM, 512 MB ram.
Put OpenWRT on it and you can run everything imaginable: VPN, torrent, adblock, simple web server, mwan.etc. without fearing insufficient ram or CPU.
Wifi used to be horseshit but mwlwifi has improved a lot and It is rock solid stable now

Attached: DE12A48F-AD4A-419C-9838-07FD3EA6C940.jpg (1500x810, 168K)

suggesting a router when OP only needs an access point

wew

The fuck the different between AP and a router with wifi? It is fucking the same except one has a few more LAN ports and now routing can be done very efficently with software with offload or fast path.
Why settle for less?

Because he doesn't need it to do routing functions, he doesn't need it to manage multiple LAN connections, or WAN.

Great, it has a dual core CPU and 512MB of RAM, too bad none of that means dicks when all it has to do is connect a half dozen wifi devices and forward that traffic to the actual router being used for DHCP, LAN/WAN, etc

Thankfully not an issue, and if this Ubiquiti works well it will get even better since I can turn off the Xfinity WiFi.
I wish there was a way to turn off the open network. There's nobody on my street so nobody is ever going to connect to it.

Wait, I guess you can turn off the open hotspot. I should've googled it.

Yeah, with comcast I prefer using my own modem without Wifi, and then using my own router and my own access points for Wifi.

Separate devices are easier to troubleshoot, and provide more fine grained control.

fuck no!
Buy Nighthawk R7800 instead and thank me later.

Attached: rBVaJFjSE1GAPGOBAAVui0k_K2Y346.jpg (1000x1000, 74K)

This. Best god dammed router ever. Fast as hell. Powerful signal everywhere. Just works.

Ahh, took a while fussing with Comcast customer service because I forgot my account password, but I got that hotspot turned off.
Kinda stupid you can't do it from the modem.

It's also $190.

Look on AliExpress for mini pc and/or NUCs, you can put any mini pci express wifi card on them and SSDs, install openWRT, pfsense or whatever.

Translation: I wanted to stream high quality anime in my jerk off den so I paid some people to lay cable for my while I ate take-out in my room.

Best choice

I owned a D7000 and was crappy. Lackluster features and stupid UI, can't even put on a DD-WRT. Total garbage for the money I spent on it, thinking it was something decent.

>they haven't embraced the enterprise meme
Step it up niggas

Attached: 2018-05-09 (1).png (2560x1440, 275K)

>running DPI

I don't have the kind of money i'd need for that type of hardware.

Even from ubiquiti, something capable of 1gbps DPI is not cheap.

And worth every penny today for its performance and in the long run not having to upgrade for quite a while.
Would like like to point out $180 is cheap compared to most individual PC components. This is especially true as every PC and device in your home will benefit from this one purchase.

$190 is very expensive compared to what I buy.

Attached: Lenovo.png (344x691, 216K)

Not when you consider you will buy multiple routers in the same time frame as owning one powerful router. Sure its a bigger up front investment but it pays off in the long run. Its like spending $1500 on a PC and using it for 10-15 years instead of 3 x $500 dollar PCs that get upgraded every 3-5 years.

>Its like spending $1500 on a PC and using it for 10-15 years instead of 3 x $500 dollar PCs that get upgraded every 3-5 years.
The point of this or a router purchase like an R7800 is that you get powerful technology to use up front and for the entire time instead of low grade slow tech.

Uh, so I memed my self really fucking hard with this setup.

I'm currently running this shit:
Edge device: Unifi Security Gateway
L3 Switch: Unifi 8port 60w POE
APs: Two Unifi NanoHD APs, one in the basement, and one on the main floor.

>Two NanoHD APs
nigger, do you just like wasting money?

They were cheap as fuck bitch. How much do you think they cost?

wrt54g

Nigga, they're $180 a pop.

I bet you don't even have a client device that can utilize the 4x4 radios on those.

For an access point at a small business or school? Great.

For home use? Overkill by easily $50-100

As a long time user of dd-wrt, tomato, merlin asuswrt, and lede/openwrt, you should base your choice off what hardware is best supported by openwrt. It's flat out the best router firmware right now and it exposes a lot of options for wireless that other firmware doesn't have. My tplink router gains access to like 10 more 5ghz wireless channels flashed to openwrt.

In my experience with Netgear routers, they have like fucking nothing for configuration. I usually like to adjust the beacon and dtim intervals to boost battery life on all my shit and NOPE

Don't make any assumptions about me or my wife's clients ever again.

motherfuck

Attached: Capture.png (1181x925, 846K)

You deserve it for not using an ad blocker.

Unifi AP AC Lite

use the netgear stuff as a router with WiFi off

>use DD-WRT
- There's built in package to limit bandwidth
- Hard to block ads
- Book support is non-existent

>use OpenWRT
- There's no built in package to limit bandwidth, 3rd party package is hard to configure
- Very easy to block ads thanks to adblock package
- Book support is non-existent

>Mikrotik
- There's built in package to limit bandwidth.
- There are few books on Amazon about Mikrotik
- Other people that I know use Mikrotik in the office

>pfSense
Never used it

I know a little about networking, but when it comes to advanced stuff, I don't know much.
(ex : I want to censor social media for certain access point at work hour in the office, I don't know how to do it)

Should I buy Mikrotik device ? Which one ?

I would recommend a router with a broadcomm CPU for compatibility with ddwrt. It appears as though the nighthawk has that kind of CPU. If you are thinking about other routers, make sure the CPU is broadcomm.

Decent router. I was using shit routers before and they kept crapping out on me. Bought this when they came out, have it to this day. I get signal in the entire house (large house) and around as well.

Unifi AC Lite WAP for about $70. Works fine and is cheap.